Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on May 11, 2012
Heppner has become one of those authors whose novels I will download sight unseen. A great story-teller, I don't think I've been disappointed with any of his works. While I tend to prefer historical or fantasy settings, this book also meets those expectations.

Simpering fan praise aside, it is a good paced techno-thriller, but the technologies are not the focus, more that the technology is a prop device. Written in a first-person perspective, with the narrator being (among other things) a private detective, it is very reminiscent of the "hard boiled" genre, where trouble begins from the opening paragraph. Lots of twists and turns to give you a good time trying to out-think the author.

Finally, the book exhibits very high quality editing.
on May 6, 2012
This is an excellent book. It's not literature; it's good clean fun, gritty and complicated. The protagonist is believable, as are his relationships with the other characters. There's enough complexity to the situations that you might need to reread some parts, or go back to something earlier to remind yourself of something. The author dumps a lot of information on you early, and doesn't assume you're a dummy. While as I said it's not high-flown writing, it's aimed at adults, not kids.

It's kind of in the noir style, with a bit more action. There are twists, interesting turns of phrase, secrets to be uncovered and a bit of speculative sci-fi. I say speculative because it's set in the modern day, or maybe slightly future, with technology forming a backdrop. But the technology and jargon doesn't usually overshadow the plot. You could take away the sci-fi stuff and you'd still have a pretty good action thriller.

He lets you read a good amount for a sample, so see for yourself.
on August 19, 2012
A reviewer below said, in the positive sense, "it's not literature" :) Well, if by literature he meant pageloads of purple prose going nowhere and stripped of passion, then no, Heppner's Accelerated is much better than any such "literature". Heppner is a writer in the finest sense of the word: all the reader sees on the page is a vivid picture charged with emotion and bursting with all five senses. If such reader fails to notice the actual words Heppner describes the picture with - well, it only proves that he is an expert writer who knows how to create this illusion of "non-literature".

It's easy to see that Heppner writes from the heart, and that's what makes his stories so readable. You can tell that he suffers his heroes' pain and fights for their triumphs. My only regret is that I discovered him so late and hope that he has many more books for us all - many more human dramas with outcomes as unpredictable as life itself.

Alex
on June 12, 2012
Once again Mr. Heppner's proven himself worthy of my hard earned cash.

Having devoured the Doomstar series and the Alternate Europe series I downloaded this book without even reading the preview and was not disapointed. Fast paced, lots of action, intriguing characters, and enough scifi techno babble to keep us fanboys happy!

From the way it ended I'm sure this is the first book of an ongoing series and I'm looking forward to reading future installments.
on July 16, 2012
This is a good old fashioned detective story using "science" to set the scene and animate the plot.

Gavin Kiel - and bunch of others - acquires super powers of a sorts during a freak accident at the LHC. He's a security consultant and the novel is told in the first person so the science behind his mysterious powers remains mysterious. Which I liked because it allows Gavin to wave his hands around by way of explanation before admitting defeat in the whys and wherefores of the dark matter/dark energy physics that apparently did what it did, and concentrate on the guts of the novel.

To be fair, I initially found the short, choppy sentences that Heppner uses distracting, but within a chapter I found they added authenticity to Keil's voice...he's a gruff guy who doesn't generally spend time focused on the Big Picture and so gruff prose makes sense.

Not that Kiel can't think, it's just that he's concentrating on keeping under the radar of the Shop, a kind of Swiss-based assassins club that scooped him up, moulded him into an efficient killer, and then cut him loose when he lost the passion. So he schleps around San Francisco, stealing from criminals as a kind of ethical balance with the occasional PI job thrown in for good measure.

Of course, status quo does not make for a good novel, so Kiel is visited by a colleague from his past - and given a secret gift to hide for good measure - and that's when his life turns upside down.

From there it is all well paced adventure, with Kiel pitted against equally amazing super-powered baddies, helped by super-powered goodies and confused by apparent super-powered inbetweenies.

Heppner doesn't take it too seriously and gives Kiel enough of a conscience that he's conflicted, contrary and combative in turns, which adds to the fun.

Overall this is an easy read and it reminded me of Jeff Edwards Dome City Blues in feel. So if you like detective stories with an overlay of science and lashings of violence, give "Accelerated" a try.
on June 29, 2012
I read Vaughn Heppner's Doom Star Series which I very much enjoyed. I thought I would try Accelerated and I was not disappointed. This is a fast paced, well crafted thriller with with an interesting scifi backdrop. The plot is excellent and his writing sytle is captivating. I would recommend this book to anyone - not just scifi fans.
on August 11, 2012
This is the first book I have read by this author, and as soon as I finished it, I downloaded another! It was a great read, and I found myself up way past reasonable time reading when I should have been sleeping! Outstanding!
on August 16, 2012
Another Heppner book, another solid story. It's obvious that the author is branching out into different realms. He's created whole universes with some of his other series. It likely keeps him fresh and let's him return to other series with new ideas. Accelerated is an interesting take on what could happen if particle acceleration and colliders go awry. Leave it to Heppner to weave another interesting tale taken from our current reality. The only issue with so many great works by this author is your waiting for the next book in several series. Everything I've read is either good or great! Doom Star, Lost Civilizations 1-3, and Invasion Alaska are just a few of my favorites. Give his books a try, you won't be dissappointed.
on September 24, 2012
I do not regret reading Accelerated. You have to accept some strange science that borders on unbelievable for hard scifi. The body changes need more detail in the how and what. Characters are OK, but a bit shallow. I may read another but not if better books are available.
on September 12, 2012
All I can say is...when's the sequel?

Vaughn Heppner wove an exciting and fast paced novel that grabs the reader from the first page and leaves them wanting more at the end.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was pleasantly surprised by its complexity and realistic possibilities based upon current scientific research.

As I said in the beginning...when's the sequel?