Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now PlasmaCar

on May 26, 2011
This adapter is indeed active. I read a bunch of reviews of this product and I came real close to cancelling just because I wasn't 100% sure that it would work the way I wanted. A lot of Eyefinity guides talk about DisplayPort > DVI adapters that "must have a USB dongle for power... if they don't they won't work", or something along that line. Unfortunately, either they are just older posts or are dead wrong. This particular adapter works just fine for a single monitor off the DVI port. As far as I know, the only instance you'd need the more beefy adapter with the USB dongle for power is if you wanted to run multiple monitors off a single DisplayPort.

Rest assured, this adapter works perfectly for my setup: HDTV @1920x1080 on card DVI, 22" monitor @ 1680x1050 on card DVI, 22" monitor @ 1680x1050 on DisplayPort > DVI with this adapter. Native resolution looks great, no artifacts, no problems so far. Check out my video review if you're still unsure.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2010
Just received my new adapter and tried it out on my Windows 7 computer with a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Graphics video card. Before the install I had two 24" LCD monitors running at 1920 x 1080 resolution. For a quick test I grabbed a 20 inch LCD (normally used as a second dispaly on my laptop)and installed it on the Displayport output running at 1650 x 1050 resolution (maximum resolutiion fo my 20" LCD). Easy install, just connected the DVI cable from the monitor to the new adapter and plugged it into the graphics card Displayport output. It automatically detected the monitor after I turned it on. I verified the monitor settings were at the correct resolution and I was up and running. Just like I like it, simple, fast, and painless. The hardest part was remembering how to turn on the third monitor and finding room on the computer desk for three monitors.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
This adapter is capable of doing everything it advertises, just not out of the box... sometimes... maybe...

I picked one of these so that I could use my new HD5700 series ATI card with 3 individual 1920x1080 monitors (all DVI). Some people report that theirs works immediately, some have trouble. When I plugged mine in, it fired up immediately and I thought, "great ATI certification was worth it...", only it wasn't working as I expected. The graphics card would not output a resolution any greater than 1440x900 to the display connected to the Displayport adapter. I have two different models of display and neither one worked. In fact, I got a message whenever powering up a new display which stated that there was an error (vague, very vague, with no real indication of what the error was).

I have a friend who works with Displayport test equipment and asked him to physically force a 1920x1080 signal through the adapter. It turned out that the graphics card was not negotiating things correctly, and the adapter worked. Now, nearly a 2 weeks after purchasing the adapter I know it works, but does not play well with the graphics card. I spent 2 days doing research on how to force output resolution with the Catalyst Control Center, only to find that feature seems to have been deleted at some point. AMD's website states that forced resolution is possible on all versions of Catalyst 9.7 and up, but good luck finding the "force" button.

Finally, I found a beautiful ray of sunshine in an obscure forum post. Accell has new firmware that fixes many of these known problems (All? Not sure, but it fixed mine). I am wondering if the people having problems have the old firmware, and people seeing them work off the bat have the new version. My firmware version stated it was 0x08, and the one replacing it was 0x95, big jump, no? Either way the firmware and instructions are available on the Accell website filed in the Support section under Displayport Products. Go here for the firmware: [...]

I give this adapter 3 stars because it works the way I expect it to, but took a very long time, and a lot of hair pulling to get there. I feel like Accell should pay me for finishing their product... If you get one, beware ATI did certify it, but I'm not sure how. If you are not comfortable digging through support pages and following instructions to update firmware for this product. I would not suggest you buy it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2010
This adapter does work, but it does not bring my monitor (one of three identical Acer G215's, all on the same PC) in and out of power-save mode reliably. It also occasionally refuses to convert at 1920x1080, the native resolution of my screens, and instead drops down to 1440x900. As of today, it now also no longer passed monitor identification through to the card, so Windows will no longer allow me to select 1920x1080 *at all*, though it does allow me to select 1600x1200, which, being larger than the native resolution of the monitor, simply will not display at all!

Also, while switching between Eyefinity SLS mode and normal 3x1 extend mode, this adapter often will put the attached monitor into "sleep" mode, requiring me to tell the computer to put all screens in that state and revive them, sometimes several times, before it activates. This also occasionally happens when resuming the monitors from sleep when I've been away from the computer for a while.

I had hoped that this would save me from having to buy one of the $100 USB-powered adapters, but it seems I'm not so lucky.
on August 13, 2012
Although the product was certified by AMD, the active DisplayPort does not work. I tried to run three monitors on an HIS Radeon HD 6850 Graphics Card. When the DisplayPort is installed, it causes ALL the monitors to reset (blink) every 15 to 20 seconds. A Google search confirms that this is a chronic problem associated with this product. I installed a second video card (Radeon HD 5770) and was able to run two monitors off of one card. However, irrespective of how I configured my system (two monitors fed from the Radeon HD 6850 and one monitor fed from the Radeon HD 5770, or two monitors fed from the Radeon HD 5770 and one monitor fed from the Radeon HD 6850, the DisplayPort-fed monitor would reset every 15 to 20 seconds. Very disappointing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2010
Very happy with this Accell BO87B-0058 adapter/used it with my
Radeon 5870 e6 and my 3 Dell G2410 Monitors--none of which has
a display port. Eyefinity working great.
on February 9, 2011
I purchased this item as a replacement for my active displayport adapter (Accell B087B-002B) that was encountering the common flickering issue when used with an eyefinity setup. The adapter worked wonderfully for about 12 days. No flickering issues, no snow/static on screen, etc. However, on day 13, the displayport monitor remained in sleep. I received an error message from the CCC that indicated that there was an issue with my displayport monitor and that the connection was not functioning properly. After checking with the CCC, updating my video card drivers, replacing the DVI cable, swapping the monitors around, and using my old displayport adapter - it was discovered that this adapter no longer worked. I recommend looking into a displayport to VGA adapter as those appear to have a better success rate and can still display up to 1920 x 1200.

Using a i7-2600K, Asus p6p87 pro, 16GB Ram, x2 5850's in Crossfire.
on June 1, 2012
I bought this active adapter because I knew from researching that you need an active adapter for video cards to convert the signal to output on 3 screens. I just bought my EVGA GTX 670 FTW from amazon and had 3 monitors to hook up. I bought this adapter in hoping it would work for NVIDIA since it was ATI certified. It in fact does work for NVIDIA surround. Also if you are wondering you can use this adapter and then plug a DVI to HDMI dongle if you need to. I tried it out and it works so for all you wondering or who made the mistake and bought the wrong connector it does in fact work! 5 stars for a great cheap product!
on March 22, 2011
Pros: it mostly works as advertised. It allowed me to connect a 3rd monitor to my ATI 5670

Cons: Every now and then, several times per hour and seemingly randomly, my monitor will go black for 2 or 3 seconds. During bad spells the converter will go dead and shut off which requires me to crawl under my desk to disconnect and reconnect the converter from the video card.

There's a firmware update available from the manufacturer that fixed all the problems I was having. Works great now!!
on December 1, 2011
This is an Active Display Port to DVI adapter. Almost all modern graphics cards can transmit a DVI signal through a display port, so you would only need a passive adapter which are much cheaper.

The Active Display Port adapter is required if you are using EYEFINITY on monitors that do not have a Display Port input (EYEFINITY requires 1 monitor to be DisplayPort).

The maximum resolution of this adapter is 1920 x 1080, which works for 99% of monitors, except for those $700++ 27 inch monitors that have a higher resolution. If you have one of those monitors, you should definitely already know your resolution and that this is not the adapter for you.

Beware that this is "Display Port" and not mini-DP, which is the standard for like Macbooks and some Windows laptops.

Make sure this is the product you need -- probably a multiple monitor setup & maximum resolution 1080p.
Onto the Product itself:
Works flawlessly, Plugged in and worked instantly. The hardest part was opening the box.