5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally Useful, November 21, 2003
Henry B. Smith (PMP) (Dulles, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
A book set that is well written, easy to read and a great reference set. If you are, or planning to be, an Access programmer who creates business applications then this book set is for you. You will benefit from the many examples and easy to follow discussions and tutorials. Included is a CD with all the example databases and code routines discussed in the book. You can use any of the routines to enhance your application and distribute them royalty free. Just give the authors some credit while you are at it. A superior investment if you are serious about learning and employing Microsoft Access.
Cheers,
Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set of Access programming books, February 25, 2003
John C. Dunbar (Sugar Land, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
I usually put these books in the trunk of my car if I develop Access software at a customers site. I found Volume I to be more applicable to most problems that surface.
A great knowledge of VBA coding is critical when programming Access. These books provide that knowledge and also give you sample code that you can use on your own projects.

Again, lots of usable examples and sample code.
John Dunbar

5.0 out of 5 stars Even a Novice Can Benefit from This Set!!!, April 25, 2003
Damon L Johnson (Memphis, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Hello,
I just wanted to send a note to THANK YOU for this priceless set (Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set)!
I'm a novice, developer-in-training and thought that there would be no way I could possibly benefit from such an advanced publication, but many newsgroups praised it, so I bought it, just in case.
So although I purchased the set close to 5 months ago, I would lug it to and from work and home, but never delving into it. I had a problem last night and posted it to the Access newsgroup hosted by Microsoft. One of the responders made a reference to the set. "Hey, I have those books", I thought.
I started flipping through the pages of the Enterprise edition and stumbled across page 68, "User List and Connection Control". I copied the frmViewUsers form into a database I've created for my company and felt an instantaneous chill surge through me!! Formerly, whenever I had to do maintenance on the mdb, I would have to make an announcement over the PA to ask people to get out of it, hope everyone heard it and hope that no one would try to get in it. No more!!. I can see who's in it, and request they exit via email and even prevent others from opening it. I can't begin to tell you how gratifying it is to purchase a product hoping that it meets your needs and it actually does!!
This encouraging experience has motivated me to take on the challenge to learn more from this set and hopefully improve my skills.
And for that, I thank you.
Damon Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Serious Access Developers, June 10, 2005
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
If you are just a beginer you might find parts of the Developer's Handbook set difficult to understand, but as you enhance your skillsets you will find these to be a must have. For a serious Access Developer these books are a definitely a must have. I've written in-house applications for years since Access 2.0. Now, I'm writing commercial applications using Access 2002 and the Developer's Handbook set has been a tremendous resource. It covers things you just have to know if you are going to create serious and dependable software applications using Access. Plus, the files that come on the CD's come with code samples you can really make use of. Of all the people I've read of in the Access Industry, these guys are masters of Access. I'd listen to anything they have to say. They know their stuff, big time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Complete, May 30, 2002
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
I found this set to be the key to unlock doors for me at work. Now that I have built many sophisticated databases, I have found that I need a book on Visual Basic. These guys are the authority on Access so I plan to purchase the companion VBA book to kick my programs into overdrive. This is awesome stuff folks. If I can do it, most of you can too!
dh

5.0 out of 5 stars C O M P R E H E N S I V E, May 17, 2003
Discoveror "Mike" (Westerly, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
Amazingly comprehensive! For example, 4 chapters on Access Data Pages; I couldn't find that much on ADP from Microsoft. Whether you prefer to GUI or to code or mix the two, as I do, this huge collection has more esoteria in one place than anywhere else I could find. Don't hesitate to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Must-Have, April 25, 2005
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
Without question, the finest books available on Access database programming. I've purchased (and held onto) each edition since 95. I really cannot express in words my enthusiasm for this series. They aren't traditional 'learner' or traditional reference books, but they meet both needs -- read them once and refer back to them for years. Full of code samples that drop easily into your applications. If you work with Access on a regular basis, you REALLY, REALLY NEED TO HAVE the Access Developer's Handbook set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Access2000 Dvlpr' Hndbk is the best learning tool, November 21, 2002
Henry B. Smith (PMP) (Dulles, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
The Access2000 Dvlpr's Hndbk set is the best reference and learning tool I have used in many years. Easy to read, easy to use as a reference and the examples point you to your own solutions for creating Access 2000 databases. I have successfully used this book set to create many successful business applications for my enterprise. Your small investment will reap large rewards.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard, January 4, 2006
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
What do I mean by the "gold standard?" As a professional Access developer, I use a lot of reference materials. Besides the Internet, my bookshelf is full of Acces, SQL Server, VBA, T-SQL, and Office reference books. But there is one publication that I always check first when I'm perplexed or curious. It's my gold standard if you will allow me that hyperbole. I'm speaking of the Access 2002 Developer's Handbook, published by Sybex.

Versions of the Access Developer's Handbook have been a staple of professional Access developers since the early days of the Microsoft Access product. My first attempt at serious Access development was during the days of version 1.1. Was that 1993? My team and I recognized the importance and power of this new Windows database product and started to build marketing applications using Access and macros(!) in Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I discovered a copy of the Access 2.0 Developer's Handbook as we migrated to Access v2 and I never looked back. I could not believe the wealth of information in that single volume. I didn't understand much of it, but that was the beauty of it. Here was a reference that revealed secrets and held promises of knowledge to be gained for the inspired reader. Incarnations of this book have remained at my right hand since the first day I opened it.

Whether you need to know more about tables, queries, forms, reports, collections, SQL, relational design, Jet security, multi-user issues, networked databases, or whatever, the Access 2002 Developer's Handbook is the reference for you. It's currently published in two volumes, Desktop and Enterprise editions. Buy both as a set. Combined, they are the gold standard of Microsoft Access reference materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource Book, October 29, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set (Paperback)
I have a number of books on Access 2002, but this one (Access 2002 Desktop Developer's Handbook) is the one I find that I refer to the most. It is not for the beginner, but for the Access programmer with a general understanding of Access 2002. If you are a beginner, try "Access 2002 Programming For Dummies."

Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set
Access 2002 Developer's Handbook Set by Paul Litwin (Paperback - January 23, 2002)
Used & New from: $48.95