Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 12, 2012
This book was required for a graduate level Governmental Accounting course. Instructors, please do your students a favor and choose another text. Nearly every student in the class that I have spoken with found this text to be poorly written and incredibly tedious to read. I seems as though little thought was put into logical organization. The authors constantly refer to other sections or chapters in the book for explanations. It is more a patchwork of information than a viable educational tool.
on January 7, 2013
I purchased this book for a Grad Class. It is a gorgeous book and you would think that it would be better written-unfortunately it is not. The author introduces ideas vaguely, builds off those vague ideas and does not explain them until later chapters. There is no linear advancement of ideas, which makes an already difficult subject, painful.
on February 11, 2013
This textbook says it is written for Seniors and Grad level students. Well, it assumes you are already a massively skilled accountant, working with the principles daily. I struggled with the textbook and the class so much that I asked my sister to tutor me. She is a CPA. I thought I just was not getting it, but she says the textbook does not give enough information to solve the problems in each chapter, and that it was one of the worst textbooks she'd ever seen. If this is a required text for you class, good luck.
on April 20, 2014
I actually didn't have too much of a problem with the chapters as written. I found a lot of it dull, sure, but I don't know how much more exciting the topics could be. There were some terms that were never defined ("vouchering" for example, took me hours to figure out if that meant creating the voucher or paying it off -- and I found both definitions online. FYI, it means creating the voucher.).

What I really couldn't stand was how the text seemed to make sense enough, and then the homework problems that followed each chapter asked readers to do things that were more complicated or at least vastly different than the text taught how to do. As an analogy (okay, slightly exaggerated...), the text would explain something simple, like how to boil water, and then the homework would ask the reader to make crème brûlée. I found it very frustrating, and I'm glad to be done with it. And to think, I WAS actually looking forward to learning this material...
on September 8, 2014
I did not both reading the reviews as this textbook was required for my class regardless if other people liked it or not. As it turns out I should have because at least one other reviewer mentions this textbook when purchased new DOES NOT COME WITH ACCESS CODES for the Bingham and Smithville problems required to pass my class. I had to purchase additional access to this materials from the publisher in order to complete the assignment. I'm royally pissed because I purchased the book new because I knew I needed the access codes when I could have saved some hard earned money and rented the book or purchased used.
on June 30, 2013
While very informative this book is not an easy read. It is quite obvious that the book has multiple authors. It is very easy to tell there styles apart. This edition appears to have been rushed to the printer without having an editor look at several of the chapters. Run on sentences and sentences with multiple subjects but no conclusion are unfortunately the norm in some of the chapters. Another issue was TMI. It is a true shame when so much information is presented in an introductory paragraph that it takes four or five more chapters before the reader has enough background information to understand chapter 4. :(
on January 2, 2013
For a accounting book it is typical to have alot of information, but why in such a unorganized way? I wish the book was more reader friendly.
on May 2, 2013
I hope all my enemies have to read this textbook. Good luck reading through the muck to find the bits of useful information imbedded in it and not emphasized. The guided examples of journal entries are a joke and broken - out - all - over - the - place. Hell I'm getting mad just thinking about it.
on May 30, 2013
I had to buy this book for a graduate level course and agree with many of the reviews posted so far. About a quarter of the book talks about the layout of the book rather then explaining content. There are some chapters that appear to have been written by Yoda because the sentence structures are backwards. If possible, I recommend not taking a class that recommends this text.
on March 21, 2014
The writing style of this textbook does not suit me. The average sentence is a paragraph long. Also, while discussing a certain topic, the author will use terms and other concepts to explain the topic. That is fine and dandy but not when the terms and concepts he uses are completely new! There are many times where the the terms and concepts used are then later "introduced" either later in the chapter or even in a subsequent chapter.

The visuals are so dry and unappealing and most are just financial statements. It would help if there were more flowcharts and diagrams to help visualize concepts. Most of the textbook is just pages and pages of text. It's very dry and It gets tiresome.

To be fair, the subject of government/not-for-profit accounting in itself is akin to putting your mouth over the exhaust of an automobile. This is why i gave it two stars and not one.