Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 19, 2012
I have a bachelor degree in accounting and have been out of school for a couple of years. I bought this book for a friend and decided to read it myself. The simplicity of it actually helped me tie things together that I didn't fully grasp from college. As I read the concepts I kept saying to myself "oh I remember going over that in school" - however this book helped me to understand the why's of accounting which is very important instead of just memorization. Many professors do a poor job of explaining accounting and I think that's why so many students struggle with it. If professors would explain the concepts like this author did then students wouldn't be so lost.
0Comment|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2011
I bought this book because I needed a review of accounting for my business. It does what it claims -- explains accounting in just a few hours. Well written and easy to understand.

The Table of Contents includes:

10 - Other GAAP Concepts & Assumptions
11 - Depreciation of Fixed Assets
12 - Amortization of Intangible Assets
13 - Inventory & CoGS
0Comment|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
I took an accounting class last year and shamefully failed! I just could not understand the basic concepts to get from chapter to chapter. College Accounting classes for some reason expect you to have some basic understanding but I didn't and I'm sure there are many like me. So I bought this and other book to see if it would help. So far this is the only book that I understand. And everything seems to make sense to me now. I would recommend this book to anyone who's planning on taking an accounting course for the first time. I plan on retaking the class and now I feel confident going back in. THANK YOU MR.PIPER!!!
33 comments|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
I am currently enrolled in a college Account course and picked this book up to supplement the $137 textbook that is required for the course. It took me 1 1/2 hours to read this book in one sitting and it gave me a much better grasp on accounting than the textbook did. When we are doing exercises in class and I need a quick refresher on a topic I often refer to this text as opposed to the textbook as it is just so easy to grasp without overloading you with too much detail. Plus, I am doing well in the class and I attribute that to this book. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to get up to speed on basic double-entry accounting and at $4.99 it is a no-brainer.

UPDATE: I finished the accounting class back in the spring and made an A. In fact, I had the highest grade in the class. Overall, I learned the material from three main sources: this book, my professor, and the exercises we did in class. Still love this book and highly recommend it as a pre-class read for college Accounting I classes.
on February 20, 2009
This book gives you a quick tour of the ins and outs of accounting. Great introduction on the basics and keeps it simple. Short enough to be read in a day. I highly recommend this to any one looking for a crash course in accounting.
on December 14, 2011
I've been struggling through my college Accounting class and this book condensed all the essential information and delivered successfully! I strongly recommend keeping this book on file, great reference!
on August 19, 2011
this book is a must have botttom drawer item for any corporate executive or small business owner - it makes the whole accounting process easy to understand .Easy to read and easy to use.
on February 25, 2013
Definitely made simple! Gives a very basic grounding in the concepts and gives meaning to the common buzzwords used. I purchased the Kindle version which has some weird page breaks and makes it harder to follow. I would get this in paper format if I were purchasing again.
on February 22, 2014
Bought the book as I am an entrepreneur and also am helping out other business owners - wanted a slightly deeper understanding of the "nuts and blots" than my accountant was providing. A VERY quick read, practical and simple examples that help elucidate each concept, and no unnecessary detail.

BUT I found it just a bit too high level, and would have appreciated more help with the ever-confusing debits and credits of double-entry accounting. Really? If you debit an asset account (e.g. cash) it actually increases cash available, but it does the opposite for a liability account? Sure, that makes sense to normal people! I remain somewhat confused.

In any event if you want a quick primer on key accounting concepts for your small business that is a great place to start. It does a nice job of explaining the key reports (Balance Sheet/Income Statement/Cash Flow/Ratios) etc.
on January 16, 2014
I found this book very helpful.

I'm an engineer with no clue about accounting. This book helped me understand the very basics, so now I at least understand the terminology and don't sound like an idiot when I talk to our CFO.