5.0 out of 5 stars Great Batteries (THESE BATTERIES ARE WITH IN SIZE SPEC)
I almost did not buy these batteries 1 year ago based on a review criticizing their size (too long or so). In the end I bought a set of 8 AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT THEIR SIZE IS NOT A PROBLEM based on my experience.

Published on May 6, 2009 by ultrabike

2.0 out of 5 stars Unknown battery or charger problem
Published on October 18, 2009 by Edward S. Episcopo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Batteries (THESE BATTERIES ARE WITH IN SIZE SPEC), May 6, 2009
This review is from: AccuEvolution Low Self Discharge NiMH D Cells (Electronics)

I use a battery charger that does not use springs to recharge these batteries(POWEREX MH-C808M BATTERY CHARGER AA AAA C D NiMH NiCD), and I have NO PROBLEMS placing the battery in the charger. The advertised capacity is correct and they are indeed very low self discharge.

Sure Eneloop AA are great SANYO eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries(I own quite a few of them and couldn't be happier), but they drain fast if your application requires D batteries and it's a pain to recharge them on a weekly basis.

Previously I used AA Eneloop with their D size adapters, but I started to get annoyed about having to replace/recharge batteries almost every week.

**** Update May 14, 2009 ****

THESE BATTERIES ARE WITH IN SPEC.

I measured my AccuPower D batteries and they are about 59.6 mm. The ANSI spec call for 60.5 mm +/- 1.0 mm (not 61.5 mm). Therefore, the battery should measure between 59.5 mm to 61.5 mm. This makes the battery with in spec!

In fact, these are their specs:
[...]

**** Update Sept 12, 2009 ****

In response to a comment I remeasured these batteries stacked using a Stanley 30' Powerlock measuring tape. I did this because I do not have a caliper and my previous measurement may be off compared to a caliper measurement.

The premise is that if the batteries are too long, then stacking them will make the length problem obvious even to a measuring tape. Here are the results:

1) I staked four cells and measured again as best as I could with my measuring tape and got almost exactly 9.5 inches or 241.3 mm which translates to 60.325 mm per battery.
2) Next I staked eight cells and did the same thing. I got about 19 3/16 inches or 487.3625 mm which translates to about 60.92 mm per battery.
3) Next I staked twelve cells and got about 28 10/16 inches or 727.075 mm which translates to about 60.59 mm per battery.

The measurements were not caliper quality but I got a measurement range between 60.325 to 60.92 inches. This new set of measurements puts Bill King and I about 0.875 to 0.28 apart. Note Bill King, my previous and new measurements are all with in ANSI spec though.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE, CAN IS A BIT TALL, October 21, 2010
UPDATED MAY 9, 2011

ELECTRICAL:

TESTING A HOME BREW TESTER: D cells are hard to measure as the only home use charger that gives actual data in numbers, that are accurate, is the Powerex Wizard. Unfortunately this charger is for AAA and AA cells. After much thought I decided to make an external D cell adapter, giving much consideration to making it's impedance as low as possible. First, tests were made with other NIMH D cells. These tests produced reasonable and consistant results. Most importantly, the negative delta voltage sensing shut off program in the charger shut off the charge at the right time. The discharge test also worked for all my old cells. It flunked a NUON D cell which was running down faster than it's two mates in the Rayovac lantern. Two weeks later a second NUON D cell failed to fully charge on the Wizard and gave erratic readings on the Wizard's display. A battery autopsy (DON'T OPEN BATTERIES IF YOU DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE) revealed that inside the D size can was two AA cells in parallel! It is better to find bad cells before a power outage and only a charger with full metering will do this accurately. All my NUON cells went to recycling.

TESTING 12 ACCUEVOLUTION D CELLS: The Accuevolution D cells required only about 500- 1500 milliamp/hours to fully charge after opening the package. These cells are from three orders to two suppliers at different times. Each cell( in a 2 pack) took the same amount of charge, indicating that the self discharge of each cell is almost the same. Discharge testing of four cells at the 10 hour rate, shows the 10,000 milliamp/hour rating to be plausible, assuming that the advertised capacity is for a 20 hour discharge rate. At a 10 hour rate I got 8800 MAH. These are the first rechargeble D cells that came with 85%+ charge, that I have found.

All cells were set aside for a day and charged again at 500 mA. Even at the the final 1/20 C rate of 500 mA the charger shut down at the right time, causing no overcharge. A cell that gives a good negative delta at this low a charge rate is probably very well made. The 500 mA charge test was repeated once on all cells. Repeated charging at less than 900 mA is not recommended, in addition, depending on auto shut off is not recommended below a 2000 mA charge rate as a general rule for this size cell.

MEASURING SELF DISCHARGE: This is not easy as self discharge is high at first and decreases with elapsed time. In addition, the first 200 MAH of charge in a D cell is spent raising the cell voltage to a level that results in charging. Ideally one would put aside several cells for a year and run a discharge test. My method is faster as it relies on measuring charging current and time for cells that have been set aside for different amounts of time. Six cells were fully charged and set aside for 69 days. They required a recharge that ranged from 923 to 1012 MAH for an average of 956 MAH. From this I subtracted the recharge amount for cells that have been set aside for 3 days. For 12 cells this ranges from 365 MAH to 428 MAH for an average of 391 MAH. The result is the self discharge for days 4 thru 69 and is 2.6% per month. A more fair test for the long term is to subtract the average self discharge over a 17 day period to get the self discharge for days 18 thru 69. This calculates out to 1.7 % self discharge per month. Testing for self discharge from day 60 to day 90 after charging would give an even lower monthly self discharge. All charging was at 1300 mA and cells were stored at about 70 degees F.

CONCLUSION: These are very consistant superb cells if you have a good charger and they fit your battery holders.

CHARGING PROBLEM:

In my opinion the bad review of this cell is not the fault of the cell, but rather the charger being used. Most timer based chargers only put out 400 to 440 mA which is too little for this cell. At this rate the cell might not charge, it might just generate heat. NIMH chemistry does not like low current charging, for this cell anything under 900 mA is uncharted territory in my opinion. The best charge rate will be in the range of 900 - 2000 mA. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MAKING AN ADAPTER FOR THE WIZARD. Check out reviews of the large powerex charger, but do not fill all the slots with cells as it might run too hot if you do this. always leave the slot near the power supply in D cell chargers empty. Any cell in this position will be cooked. Ideally one should use only every other slot so that air can circulate between the cells and cool them.

BATTERY SIZE, OR WILL IT FIT?

Reading other reviews suggests that in some cases the distance between the top of the cell(positive contact) and the bottom is too long. I found no problem with this. What I did find was that the can length (distance from the negative contact to the top of the can) is 2.326 inches. This is longer than any other D cell, primary or rechargeble, that I have on hand. Some battery compartments that have deeply indented positive contacts may not accept this long can. I suggest only buying two if your equipment has a tight fit, and see if there is going to be a problem with the positive contact, or whether the can hangs up on something. The factory may be having trouble maintaining tolerances making all the reviews correct, depending on the production batch. Hence my four star rating.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

This could well be the best NiMH D cell available. With the dominance of palm sized devices, larger electronic items are in retreat.
Demand for D cells is low, hence few are made. Few chargers exist that can properly charge these cells. Although not ideal, the Powerex D cell charger is probably the best choice, provided you watch out for overheating. What follows are some precautions when using this and other chargers.

The Wizard charger allows air to reach the cells from under the cells by convection. The cells are spaced apart so this air can rise up between the cells. This charger is limited to AA and AAA sizes. Positive contacts are recessed, hence a cell that is put in backwards will not connect, unless the bottom of the cell is very "bulged out". Bad cells will not heat up the other cells, so they are easily indentified. I check for overheating periodically, especially if I am charging old cells that would overheat if the power is interupted and then returns. Interupting the power causes the charge current on the wizard to default to 1000 mA, too much for low capacity cells. Fortunately the display gives the charge current for each cell on a rotating basis.

All D cell chargers available as of Nov 2010, have the cells almost touching each other, even worse no air can convect as the bottom of the battery holder has no air holes. Some even have covers which contain the heat from any overheating cells.
Although providing extra space between cells would not increase cost much, many would object to the size of a properly vented charger. I am not certain that the Powerex D cell charger is reverse connection proof. The Powerex D cell charger has a reputation for not shutting down if a cell overheats, in my opinion it requires constant supervision. Hence I have not bought one yet.

Fully loading an unventilated charger, set on fast charge, with inefficient low capacity D cells, that are rewrapped Sub C cells, is the ultimate disaster or perfect storm. Accuevolution cells appear to be very efficient and run cooler that any other cells I have tested. They probably will work fine in the Powerex D cell charger. Maha PowerEx MH-C808M Ultimate Professional Charger - Battery charger 8xAA/AAA/C/D

8 Bank Powerex Ulitmate Professional Battery Charger w LCD Display

UPDATE JUNE 8, 2012: All 12 cells still working perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unknown battery or charger problem, October 18, 2009
Edward S. Episcopo (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased a large number of AccuEvolution rechargeable D, AA and AAA batteries from RealGoods last year. Eight of the batteries I received were dead on arrival and they wouldn't charge in the AccuManager 20 charger, which I purchased at the same time. I sent those batteries back to RealGoods and received replacements. Over the next few months more batteries failed to charge on the same changer. I had over a 50% failure rate in the most expensive D batteries and they continue to fail. I had a fairly high rate of failures on the AA batteries, although no where near the failure rate of the D batteries. After three months RealGoods would no longer replace the batteries and they referred me to the manufacturer. The manufacturer agreed that my usage pattern should not have been the cause of the failures. I returned several of the D batteries to them and they stated that one of the batteries could not be charged and they had to wakeup the other two. In the mean time four additional batteries have failed to recharge (3 D batteries and 1 AA battery). I have also been using a lot of the Sanyo eneloop AA rechargeable batteries and I have had no failures so far on the same charger.

Since I first reported this problem, I ordered 8 D batteries from Tenergy and I now appear to be having the same problem with the Tenergy batteries. Two of the first four I tried to charge would not charge, but after leaving them in the AccuManager20 charger for a couple of hours, one of the batteries started to charge. The AccuEveloution manufacturer sent 6 new D batteries on 10/22/2009 to replace the batteries that appear to be failing. After months of testing and rotating various batteries the problem appears to be more pronounced and the problem may be the charger. On 10/26/2009 a representative of the manufacturer offered to send a replacement charger to see if the charger is causing the problem. I will upgrade this review, if that turns out to be the case.

Final comment: ( 1/13/2013 )

AccuEveloution sent us a reaplacement battery charger, but the results were about the same. Some batteries would not charge. I finally decided to try the more expensive An-Mann Energy 8 battery (a German company) charger and what a difference. It was able to successfully charge all of the batteries that failed on the AccuManager20 charger, with the exception of one. I have been using the Energy 8 charger with batteries of four different manufactures with no problems. I would highly recommend that you spend the extra money on the Energy 8, if you can. I have only had two additional AccuEveloution batteries fail over the last two years and that's out of over 80 batteries, but so far non of the other brands I have tried have failed to charge. Other brands of batteries that I have had success with are Tenergy and Sanyo (eneloop). The enloop AAs have been the best batteries I have tried so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFORMANCE AND PERSPECTIVE, August 23, 2009
Dr. Goode (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
As accurately pointed out by another reviewer, this battery is NOT oversized. The AccuEvolution D is almost exactly 59.6 mm. The ANSI spec for a 'D' battery is 60.5 mm +/- 1.0 mm. Obviously, the AccuEvolution D is well within spec. Claims otherwise are not based on fact.

If your interest is performance and practical value,there is probably no better choice than the AccuEvolution 'D'. This battery has been in wide use for several years (initially as AccuLoop)and has earned an excellent reputation with many users. In numerous tests, it delivers an honest storage capacity of 10,000 mAh, which is considerably more than other brands of high capacity, low self discharge 'Ds'. The self discharge rate of the AccuEvolution is less than 2% per month at room temperature (even less at cooler temperatures), so you may expect this battery to stay charged longer when in heavy use AND when idle than LSDs with less capacity.

PUTTING THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE: Based on the 'oversize' comment posted here in 2008 that has received so much attention, I tested the AccuEvolution for fit in a wide variety of devices (some spring loaded/some not)- and encountered zero problems. Even in my 4-stack flashlight (where size issues really matter) they fit fine.

Although variation in battery size should not be ignored, this is NON ISSUE regarding the AccuEvolution, and a minor one compared to 'off-size' battery compartments and compartments without springs. Springs solve the vast majority of 'fit' problems, but a battery compartment WITHOUT springs will not adjust to variations in battery size OR an off-size compartment. However, ALL such concerns may easily be assuaged simply by asking the seller (before buying) if the batteries OR device may be returned if they don't fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Measured Mallory D cell alkaline with 1/1000 calipers, May 25, 2009
Bill King (Reno, Nv., United States) - See all my reviews
mallory alkaline d cell lengths measured by me thru a plastic sandwich baggie for an thin insulator:
insulator on both ends: 2.374" = 60.3 mm
insulator on one end: 2.370 =60.2 mm
calculated true length:2.366: =60.1 mm

Looks like rechargeable lengths would be no problem.

I will test this by buying some of these, along with POWEREX MH-C808M charger and report back in a few weeks.

I own several vintage portable radios that run on D cells (Grundigs & Zenith Tranoceanics), and need to save money on cells.

UPDATE: MALLORY ALKALINE 2.382 =60.503 mm
AccuEvolution LSD D Cells 2.409 =61.189 mm
difference is 0.686 mm = .027" = less than 1/32"
Real life: a column of 3 D cells in my Zenith Transoceanic 1000D and Grundig Satlillit 210 radios fit just fine with either type of battery (common alkaline or Low Self Discharge AccuEvolution).

Reason the length of Mallory Alkalines are different in edited post from original is I re-zeroed my calipers to exact spec.

These rechargeables work really great!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge capacity and true low-self-discharge characteristics!, January 2, 2011
Thomas T. Veldhouse (Coon Rapids, MN United States) - See all my reviews
My Wife uses an elliptical trainer that we bought years ago and the controls [including the motors to the clutch and a fan to cool yourself] run from four D cells. Alkaline batteries would last a month or so without much use of the fan. I put these batteries in the elliptical and they last more than 6 months easy. I know these work great and are cheaper than the Maha Immedion LSD equivalent [I am not a fan of their latest AA 2400mAh batteries ... none of them seem to actually have a 2400mAh capacity and their D batteries were released with their latest AA incarnation]. Stick to the AccuEvolution batteries and you will be very happy with your choice. At about $10 per battery, they are expensive, but they pay for themselves in four to six charge cycles.

3.0 out of 5 stars These batteries are non-standard length., May 17, 2008
Be aware that the AccuPower D cells are not precisely the same size as standard D batteries; rather they are a bit longer. Four of these batteries placed end-to-end are about 1/8 inch longer than 4 standard, say, Energizer Alkaline D batteries placed end-to-end. That is only about 1/32 of an inch extra length per battery, but it was enough extra that I was unable to insert these AccuPower batteries into an O2 Cool battery powered fan calling for D batteries which I bought from Walmart as part of my emergency hurricane kit. Ordinary Energizer Alkaline D batteries fit fine. This was quite disappointing, especially when you consider the cost of the AccuPower cells. Other electrical appliances may not be so exacting regarding inserting the D batteries, and these batteries might work fine there, but it is startling that anyone would produce a D battery that is not the standard size. I have posted a photo which you can view; see the thumbnail photo link under the product photo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent batteries, December 14, 2010
Pros:

* They are indeed low-self-discharge (can go months in the cabinet after a charge and still be useful)
* Their power rating is accurate
* One of a very few quality "D" rechargeables on the market; arguably the best

Cons:

* None

Other Notes:

* No issues with size
* No issues with charging (we use the Tenergy T9688 Super Universal LCD Battery Charger)
* No issues with quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Low discharge - high life, April 27, 2013
Holds a charge for months. Last longer in use than other D cell rechargeable batteries I've been using over the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch Your Charging Method/Watch for stragglers, December 28, 2012
I would recommend that you watch your charging method. They may be damaged by bulk charging excessively. (like charging a whole group of 6 or 8 in a pack charger) I may have lost 2 sets prematurely with the too much use of this method, in an attempt to balance them. NIMH like to be charged individually. I am trying to recover one set, another set is probably too far gone, but I would say to only use the bulk charging when they are 1st new, and then not at all if possible. You can just sort them in the Powerex charger.--all the weakest ones to the far right followed by stronger ones to the left, and the strongest one to the leftmost slot. A battery tester is a lifesaver. One of the sets I lost never got off to a good start, as the two were weaker than the other four, and one of the cells bulged with the bulk charging method. The pack charger waits for a larger V-drop before shutting off, so I just wanted to give you a heads up. If getting a large set where the voltages have to match critically close, I would recommend getting a few extras, especially for the C size. It is a shame the company stopped making them, so the quality might not be the same. As for the Nuon D size, I can give you an idea why they failed. NIMH is never supposed to be charged in parallel, so that crappy design would explain the easy failure of your Nuon cells.(2 AA side by side in a size D can is just a design asking for trouble) It is a regret that this brand is disappearing, but it looks like the only LSD type that are closely matched is possibly Annsman. The Centura C typically don't stay matched, so you are stuck with the premium high self discharge, or the Nickel Cadmium, good enough for a low discharge speaker if matched, but not a CD boombox. I tried the Imedions, but they don't seem to match them as closely, luckily I have 2 sets of 6 C size -1 set of Tenergy Nicad and one set ofthese Accupowers I managed to cobble together. Get these Accupower Evolutions while you can!!! PS, if using Tenergy premium, don't use the pack charger 1st when new, use the Maha Powerex C808M when new. They come in different states of charge, and the 1st charge typically gets the D cells hot then shutting off with temperature delta T with two battery bars instead of the usual 3 bars when approaching full charge on the Maha. After that, run slightly down for several minutes, then use Maha charger again, then battery holder with pack charger ONCE, then let them equalize for several hours after the green light. If you try to put the premiums in that pack charger 1st, you will not get the green light. I have gotton the critical 120-130 degrees when I decided it was time to pull them, you wont get the green light if you just stick them 1st in pack charger, and it wont get them all full if one cell is almost empty out of the box. Pack charger will not terminate if the cells are in a different state of charge. Also, you may have one come almost dead in the set. You must use Maha Powerex 1st with that brand. Accuevolution need care for the 1st charge, but they do best if the pack charger is never used again with them. You don't have to approach the Evolutions with the same caution, but use the same care for all brands. (avoid Powerizer, Powerex, and Expocell and CTA battery brand as well as blue color Tenergy and Nicads with them))For that pack charger, go to Batteryspace.com, but you still need the Maha charger. Only use the 1.8 amp setting in the pack charger for the high capacity D cells, like the 10000mah, but not the C cells. The pack charger should not be used for AA,AAA as the current would be too much for them.

AccuEvolution Low Self Discharge NiMH D Cells