5.0 out of 5 stars The best charger I have used

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Sundance Solar Fulfillment by Amazon
Published on January 26, 2011 by M. Tanner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best charger I have used, October 7, 2010
This review is from: AccuPower AP2020 AccuManager 20 Super-Fast Battery Charger (Automotive)
I have used it to charge different sizes and types of batteries at the same time. Using this charger, I am over 10 years on some of my rechargables, I can bring back batteries that have set for years in toys. If you put the battery in and the light doesn't blink, unplug the adapter from the charger and plug it back in. After one-four times of doing this, I can almost always bring a battery back. I have lost two out of almost 200 batteries in 10 years. I have two of these and leave them with batteries in them all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRICK TO REVIVE "DEAD" RECHARGEABLES!, November 11, 2012
Vlady Inhaler (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I've been using this charger continuously for 3+ years at time of writing, and have been so pleased with it that I bought a second one so that I could charge more of my AccuEvolution Low Self Discharge NiMH D Cells at the same time. HOWEVER, I noticed that occasionally one of these expensive, highly-rated batteries appeared to be "dead"...OR SO I THOUGHT!

When you insert a battery into a charging slot on the AccuPower AP2020, the LED is *supposed* to start blinking, indicating that a charge is taking place for the battery in that slot. But if the LED doesn't blink, don't despair. Your battery might NOT be unrevivable after all, merely drained beyond the point of recognition for this charger.

Working on a hunch, I took 2 strips of aluminum foil (about 3.5" X 0.5") and inserted them between the ends (poles) of the batteries and the connectors of the charger--one strip for the positive end and the other strip for the negative end. Then I set a "good" battery on top of the dead one and touched & held the foil strips to the corresponding battery poles. (Yes, it's basically the same idea as "jump-starting" one car battery with another: positive to positive, negative to negative.) Sure enough, the LED started blinking! After a couple of seconds I released the "good" battery from the foil strips--and the LED continued to blink! The next day I had a fully charged D cell which I have since recharged countless times with no problem.

Conclusion: once you "trick" this charger into initiating a charge, it will continue and fully charge the battery...at least that's been MY experience with LSD NiMH rechargeables!

update: sometimes simply unplugging the AC adapter from the charger and plugging it back in will cause the "dead" battery to commence recharging...sometimes not. I like to keep my aluminum "jumper cables" nearby!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Sundance Solar Fulfillment by Amazon, January 26, 2011
This was the second NiMh battery charger I purchased via Amazon in the past 2 months, the first was the Ansmann Energy 8 Charger, and then the AccuPower. In both cases I was sent an either defective and/or used, but sold as NEW. I have good reason to believe that Sundance Solar sent me a "Display Model" of the AccuPower and/or returned one because the packaging was obviously "repackaged", finger prints, and the AC adapter was not the same shape as was pictured on every site I saw that carried the product. In both cases I returned the chargers and Amazon is the very best when it comes to returns, which is the primary reason I come back for more punishment...LOL

The problem with both chargers was the overheating of some batteries, which the "Smart Charging" technologies are suppose to prevent. When I charge batteries I always keep a small fan blowing on the charger at all times because I have found this keeps things "cool" and when one becomes "warm-to-hot", then you know for sure it is the charger.

Now I am ordering the C Crane QC2 Quick Charger-2, which is the exact same product as the Tenergy T9688, but under the Crane name it is a few dollars cheaper.

I do wish that Amazon would do a better job at the quality control end of their prime sellers to prevent these situations to begin with. By the way; if you do order this and get the one I returned; you will know it if you look through the manual as i used a tiny little piece of post-it in the middle to let the recipient know this was found defective and used. I put an obvious note inside the charger; knowing that Sundance Solar would quickly discover that and not look for the real note. May i recommend that everyone begin doing this so we can all be assured we are getting what we were promised. God bless all of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little battery charger, February 8, 2008
This is a great little battery charger. It charges AA, C, D and 9 volt batteries. I plug the lighter plug into a socket that is powered by my 12 volt solar panel on the roof of my house. It is used to charge all sorts of batteries for flash lights, remote thermometers and clocks, even the batteries for my Harris Dracon butt set, COIL tone generator, Progressive Tone Tracking Wand, and my cat 5 cable tester that I use at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Cheap, But You Get What You Pay For, December 22, 2009
Very easy to use, it will charge many different kinds of rechargeable batteries, and then will go into a maintain mode. Very "smart" unit; and supposedly one of the few that will charge batteries to their full capacity, a common complaint with cheap units. No problems so far, I leave it plugged in continuously to keep batteries at the ready. The only "con" in my opinion is the high price but after owning it and comparing it to a Radio Shack model I also own, it's worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems that I got a defective one, January 1, 2011
Bought this along with some new low discharge Tenergy AA batteries. First time I used it with no problems. Batteries charged, got quite a bit warm to the touch when I took them out, put the batteries in my son's remote controlled Battle Machine remote controlled car, and still going strong (the batteries) after 4 days. Second set of batteries I charged three of them appeared to charge (solid green light), but the fourth battery would not fully charge. Put them in my son's other Battle Machine and they worked less than a day. Recharged the exact same batteries and this time all of them appeared to have charged, but them back in the Battle Machine and it lasted all of 5 minutes. Also, when I charge the batteries they do not get warm at all, they stay completely cool. So now I am back using my old Rayovac chargers and at least with them the batteries take a good charge.

When trying to test the charger I have unplugged it to try to reset it and put the batteries in again - same thing. Unplug it and plug it back in with the batteries already installed - same thing. No matter what, I can't seem to get a good charge with this thing. Also according to the instructions when you first place the batteries in the charger the LEDs are supposed to stay lit solidly for three seconds while the charger "analyzes" the battery. Mine does not do this and goes straight to the charging mode - blinking LEDs

Looks like I will be returning this unit. Unsure if I want to exchange it for another one of the same. I paid $55 for mine which is a great price for this product (if it worked right) from Amazon through a 3rd party seller as I believe list price on this unit is $79.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Charger, June 10, 2010
I was looking for a charger that could handle 9V batteries and found that most are horrible in that they do not have automatic shut off so unless you pay close attention you can overcharge and damage the battery.

I came across this charger and saw that it not only handled 9V batteries better but that it can also charge most other standard size batteries. The status light for each slot lets you know what is going on and you can mix battery sizes.

This unit costs more but you get more. The quality of the charger is good too as it seems well made.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am divided on this one, April 1, 2013
I have owned one of these for a few years. It is not my "go-to" charger, as I use my La Crosse chargers to charge AA and AAA batteries. However, I will break this out every 6 months to charge my C and D cells. Every so-often, there will be that "one" battery that never seems to get done any time soon---as in 12 hours later "soon", but over-all, I like it.

I wanted a second unit to charge my many C and D cells, so I could get done a tad faster. I first tried an Ansmann, was sent a used unit, asked for a resend, and got another used one. So I opted for this unit. The unit I was sent did not have any seals/stickers on it to indicate a possibly unopened box. Yeah, uh oh. So I began to charge batteries of all sorts, 9V, AA, AAA, C, and D cells. At first one or two would just blink and blink and either never get done at all or take 12, 15, 25 hours, whatever, to complete the charge. The more I used this unit, the more frequently this happened. Now it is to the point that it is doing this to my brand new Imedion AAs and AAAs. If it is one of the AA or AAAs, I will stick them into the La Crosse and it usually states that the battery is full and cannot be charged. Unfortunately, I only have my older AccuPower charger to check Cs and Ds with, and the charger will just restart the cells over again. It gives no indication of the charge status of a newly inserted battery *sigh* Now it has become so bad that 3 or 4 of every 4 batteries I put into this new charger at one time is doing this. I also noticed what some other reviewer noticed---that some of the batteries that were flashing forever were colder than cold. Interesting, because those were the same ones my La Crosse did NOT say were full. It just isn't charging them at all. This is happening in all four of the slots. The 9 volt seems fine, but I just have one Imedion 9 volt battery, one that is pretty new, which also took 10 hours to do (and that had just been charged!) I hope that this charger has not ruined my new Imedion cells, and my other fairly new Imedions and AccuPower cells.

I will mull over a replacement, as Amazon won't do an exchange on this, but 3 chargers in a row, all of which may have been used, and I am a bit hesitant. I did look into the Maha's, but when I read reviews about fires, I steered clear. Does any one bother to make quality anymore? Aren't they proud of their name/reputation?

5.0 out of 5 stars Works off 12 VDC or 120 VAC, February 14, 2010
I was looking for a charger that I could use with either 120 volt AC current or from a 12 volt DC solar charged battery system. This one fits the bill, charges fast, and was reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Charger, October 14, 2010
I bought two of the cheaper battery charging stations and both went bad in less than a year. Each one had a bad charging station within several months. This one is very well made and I wish I had paid the difference and got it first.

It will charge 9 V, c, d, aa, aaa with different batteries in each charging station.

Get this one, and you will be happy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›