Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Size: SChange

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on February 14, 2015
Very rough sharpening job, not smooth at all... I had to purchase a grinding / buffing wheel set to fix my knives I attempted to sharpen using this tool. I added 2 pics, the first taken after using this sharpener (you can see the teeth), the second taken after using the grinding/ buffing wheel (mirror gloss).
review image review image
11 comment39 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
This thing is next to useless. It removes a lot of metal to give you a "sharp" edge. In actuality, it creates a very rough, but thin edge with a huge propensity for getting nicks in the blade. If your knife has been properly sharpened to the correct angle for the task, this is a good way to ruin it.

I do not understand all the positive reviews but I guess if you are happy with the edge this creates, it does allow quick and easy touch-ups, which you will likely have to perform often.
77 comments79 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
I have a LOT of knives. I like to keep them pretty sharp, and for my standards they were all getting a little dull. The AccuSharp had such GREAT reviews on Amazon that I thought why not try it?

I tried this thing on about 5 knives. It made them SO much duller than they were before. This this is GARBAGE. I have trouble even giving it one star.

This thing takes off a lot of metal. It literally ruins your knives. If you value your knives, stay away from this. Go get the Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpener. After about an hour with the Spyderco, I've gotten my two favorite knives back to RAZOR sharpness.

Seriously. AccuSharp is the worst thing you can buy if you want sharp knives.
77 comments69 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
I took a chance on this knife sharpener, as I was intimidated by the thought of using a whetstone and honing steel. This sharpener certainly is cheaper and easier, but wrecks havoc on the edge of my knives. I followed the directions carefully and ended up with a pitted blade edge. Don't waste your time and money on this product. Buy a proper whetstone and take the time to learn how to use it. Your knives will be much sharper and last for years. That will be an investment that pays off.
0Comment25 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2014
I have used a steel for years and never had a problem. I bought a few of these as gifts with good kitchen knives to go with them. I tried it on three of my knives, all different sizes and manufactures. In each case it left small chunks taken out of the knife blade. I think this is because the grinding stone that makes contact with the blade is very short, who knows. I am very unsatisfied after ruining three great knives. I am going back to the steel and returning these.
review image
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2010
I cant believe all the good reviews on this. I bought it based on the reviews and dont get it. This thing is junk. Ok, it sharpens slightly better than dull, but thats it. It also leaves a really rough chewed up edge. I tried it on thin kitchen knives, a pocket knife and a hunting knife. Same results, junk!
55 comments38 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
Just google how to sharpen a knife and within a couple minutes you'll discover how this thing actually ruins knives. A sharp knife actually has two, or three, precise angles leading to the blade edge. The high-quality sharpening systems use precise guides to control the angle during sharpening. This is how you get a razor edge that will cut hairs off your arm with zero effort. This thing will not get anywhere near that level off sharpness because it violates the most fundamental principles. It will ruin your knives.
99 comments36 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
My experience was not good with this product. I think I temporarily ruined about 3 different knife edges with this. I would attempt multiple times on each blade, but the knife would just not end up sharp enough to cut paper. I followed the instructions perfectly, but I think the one size fits all design just doesn't work well enough on a variety of knives. Go with diamond and Arkansas stones and you will be much happier.
on December 21, 2009
I think you will find this item an overhyped item. It is incredible that 203 reviewers average 4.5 stars on this item. It works but the end result is not a blade that is super sharp. I have worked in the restaurant business for the last twenty years of my life. I have not tested the results of this on a serrated knife. However, the angle at which it sharpens at is not the sharpest that it will leave a blade and I find myself sharpening as I have always done with a sharpening rod or a sharpening stone. That said, I believe that if you are skilled at either of the above then I would not recommend purchasing this item - however, if you are not, then this item should work. I don't find that it works that well on my molybedenum/vanadium knives, and a little better on the pure steel knives (most people don't have them because they rust a little easier). That is my thoguht.
55 comments55 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2013
I use my best knife every day in the kitchen. The old trusty Victorinox Swiss Army 8-Inch Fibrox Straight Edge Chef's Knife, a 25 dollar knife. Thank God I don't own any Shun knives, because I would be REALLY angry if I had messed up one of those like I messed my Victorinox up.

I bought this thing becuase of Amazon's "recommendation" (i.e. "Others who have bought this item have bought...") after buying my knife. It kept an edge for a few months, but finally started to get a little dull. I figured that with the rave reviews this thing got, it would work out great. WRONG. This thing did the same thing it did to so many other people, it literally CHEWED CHUNKS out of my blade. No amount of soft or hard pressure, or slow or fast strokes, made any difference. It left a rough, pitted edge on my most favorite knife. I was really angry. Sadly, at this cheap price, it's not cost effective to send it back to Amazon, so its headed straight for the trash bin. With extreme predjudice.

Guess I'll have to buy another knife now...glad this is such a cheap knife (seriously...its the best...pick one up!)
11 comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse