Ace

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought
Published on June 8, 2007 by Ramón Arreaza

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Metals Very own Version of Smile!
God I used to Love Twisted Sister. They were pigeon holed with all those Glam Metal acts of eighties, but I think they were always a cut above.
I heard about this record at the end of the eighties, & the record company refusal to release it, then I lost contact of band (This was before the internet, so quite difficult to keep tabs).
Then in 2012 all the Sister...
Published on June 23, 2012 by Jimi Jac

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, June 8, 2007
Ramón Arreaza (Caracas, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
I'm a Twisted Sister and Dee solo career fan. When I was listening for the first time this cd I was truly dissapointed because I did't like how this album sounds, too "underground", too melodic, too "for my little sister", too "to keep in the same pop-cheesy-boring collection". But I was wrong. At first, you need to consider the moment or when and under what circumstances this album came out. Second, you should give a second opportunity to listen carefully the whole cd. Well, at this poit you can realize the real quality and the great way that this work was designed and perfomed, and of course, you'll see the talent in every instrument played and the Dee vocal performance is outstandind. So, if you know or like this kind of music, or if you have ever followed the Dee Snider Career, you must have this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Desperado - 'Ace' (Cleopatra), May 1, 2007
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
Some of you likely remember hearing about this Dee Snider project that was shelved way back when just prior to it's promised release by the head honcho at Warner Bros. Records. Turns out that 'Ace' is a pretty good early '90's hard rock effort by the Twisted Sister frontman. Tracks that had me sit up and take notice were the kick ass in-your-face "Hang 'Em High", "Gone Bad", "The Maverick", the rocker "See You At Sunrise", "There's No Angels Here" (possibly the CD's best cut) and "Emaheeval". Personnel: Dee Snider - vocals, Bernie Torme - guitar, Marc Russell - bass and Clive Burr - drums. Should appeal to fans of Jackyl, Great White, Whitesnake, Quiet Riot and maybe early Motley Crue. 'Ace' was also put on the UK label Angel Air with completely different art work. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Desperado - 'Ace' (Angel Air), August 5, 2007
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
The same release that the U.S. label Cleopatra had put out (see my review) around the same time of Twisted Sister's Dee Snider's 1990 shelved title that Warner Brothers refused to put out when it was first recorded. Just with entirely different art work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent evolution of Mr. Dee Snider, January 11, 2010
Bryan S. Sampsel (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
The music on this album was transitional between Twisted Sister and Widowmaker.

While it was mostly a "western" metal feel, it was well done. Most artists couldn't merge the two well.

Some of the music for this band ended up being recycled for Widowmaker, later made darker and blues-ier.

But, this was an excellent example of Mr. Snider's evolution between the 1987 Twisted Sister album and his Widowmaker albums. Despite having to start over, nearly penniless, it demonstrates Mr. Snider's tenacity and drive to overcome any obstacle life threw at him.

4.0 out of 5 stars the desperado rock, October 29, 2006
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
this is a great cd,it has some old and new style to go with it.Dee's

voice still sounds good.The song "the heart is the lonely hunter"is the

best song here,the rest are good.It's definately worth getting so buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Late than Never!, June 5, 2008
This review is from: Ace (MP3 Music)
I just got the CD in today and I've been listening it in the car (best audio system I have.) I like this album. It's a good solid Heavy Metal album. Shame it was not released back in 1992.
Two of the songs where recycled for the Widowmader's Blood and Bullets album. Track 2. Gone Bad and Track 5.Calling for You. But don't let that stop you from buying it. The other 9 songs are $worth$ getting the album.
This fits in well with everything that Dee Snider has done. If it had not been the fact that Grunge music had come in so hard and fast and all but wiped out heavy metal. This album would have seen the light of day. Well now it has gotten to do just that (about damn time!) and best off all Grunge is dead, and Metal is still around.
Twisted Sister: The Video Years

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC UNDISCOVERED!, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
I know alot of these songs have wound up on other discs. It was great to hear the originals! This band was beyond talented, with every song a classic! It was a shame that things went down like they did. I would have loved to heard what other great music they would have written. Highly recommend this disc. BUY IT IF YOU CAN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice product, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
read the book so i needed this cd to add to my collection. Im glad i was able to find it here on amazon. dee re did some of theses songs while he was in the band widowmaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dee Snider's Best Album, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Ace (MP3 Music)
In reading Dee Snider's recently released book Shut Up and Give Me the Mic, I was reminded of his project after Twisted Sister called Desperado. Of course I had to check Amazon to see if these songs were now available for download. I'm very happy to report that they are, and they are Dee's best songwriting work. Of course it sure helps Dee to have a competent gunslinger and co-writer in Bernie Torme. Dee didn't have either in Twisted Sister. The real shame is that several of these songs could have been all over on rock radio in 1989, but they were shelved until recently. They don't sound dated now, they're just plain good old fashioned rock-n-roll.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Metals Very own Version of Smile!, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Ace (Audio CD)
Then in 2012 all the Sister Back catalogue was re-released, with a tag of other albums that might be of interest, low & behold there was the "Desperado" album.
Now it features ex-Maiden drummer Clive Burr & Gillan Bernie Torme, which is probably why it has a distinct English feel, think a heavy version of Thunder.
One of the other differences is there are no songs of "us against them" on the album, which was always a theme prevalent in Sister songs.
I don't think it has aged particularly well, & is defiantly of its time. Plus at 1 hour running time with just 10 songs, it feels a little bloated.
I suppose it could never live up to its near mythical status, but a nice addition to the Dee Snider Arsenal.

Ace
Ace by Desperado (Audio CD - 2006)