Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ace Your Teacher Interview: 149 Fantastic Answers to Tough Interview Questions
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 27, 2012
I, too, agreed with the poster who objected to the sexist advice that female teachers should wear a skirt to their interviews because pants are too informal. I'm not sure where the author lives or how old he is, but I can say that here in Seattle, in 2012, most female principals and higher-up administrators are wearing slacks or pantsuits to work--and I hardly feel they would hold female interviewees to a different standard.

Unlike the other poster, I did not stop reading. For the most part, the advice is sound and detailed. I appreciated that the questions and answers were accompanied by explanations of what the interviewer is really getting at and what pitfalls to avoid. I liked the advice to come in prepared with 4-5 stories to tell, and the questions themselves are ones all interviewees should be prepared to answer. It's clear that the audience for this book is young, just-out-of-college teachers as some of the advice seems a bit ridiculous (really, we have to be told not to crack our knuckles during the interview?) and some of the attempts at humor come across a bit condescending, "While you may consider yourself to be an outstanding foosball player or the next great 'American Idol' candidate, I'm sure you will agree that the interviewer would have a difficult time seeing the relevance of these descriptors to life in the classroom." (p86) But I'm guessing this advice is in there because actual people have made these mistakes.

As the author advocates, practice answering the questions, but make the answers your own. I could never imagine saying, "I love challenges and I love hard work!" (p.69) Not because I don't or because I'm not an enthusiastic person, but because my internal BS-meter would be reading off the charts if I heard someone else say that. Overall, a great resource, but take it with a grain of salt if you are over the age of 22.
on April 13, 2013
This should be required reading for all Education Majors. I spent one year looking for a teaching job with no luck. I bought this book, and taught me what I was doing wrong in interviews and on applications. I now have a full time teaching job that I love! This would make an excellent graduation gift.
on March 29, 2013
As a retired school superintendent with over forty years teaching and administrative experience, and now a supervisor of student teachers, I have been on both sides of the interview table and have given advice to many regarding teacher interviews. Anthony Fredericks' book is a great resource that will provide one with the tools necessary to successfully obtain a teaching job in a down-turned economy. His book provides insider tips and author advice filled with positive strategies, techniques, and other clear information and important considerations for teachers seeking a job in today's competitive education job market.

Chapters 7, 8, 9 and 10 alone makes Fredericks' book worth reading. There are over 150 questions, appropriate answers and some thoughts as to why the question is asked, plus questions to ask the interviewer, and how to properly follow up your interview. Nonverbal communication such as clothing, enthusiasm, and body language, as well as mistakes to avoid, are well addressed. The author even has a personal email address for those who may desire additional specific advice or explanation.

If you want to make a good impression with HR staff, principals, and other administrative personnel, and rise above the competition in the eyes of a potential employer, Fredericks' book is for you. It is a book to also revisit between each interview to hone your interview skills even more for the next interview. I consider it a must read for every college education major and job seeking teacher.
on June 10, 2014
This book is extremely well-written for students who have just graduated from college and are interviewing for their very first teaching position. I am an experienced teacher who purchased the book because I have not interviewed in many, many years and I wanted to brush up on my interview skills. The suggested answers given in the book often relate to student teaching experience or non-teaching (but related) work experience. I would not suggest this book for teachers who already have teaching experience.
on August 9, 2015
I bought the Kindle version of this book to prepare for an unexpected interview. It was very helpful in my preparation. All of the questions that were in my interview, were covered in this book. There are also other suggestions which were helpful. I have recommended this book to other classmates preparing to begin the interview process. By the way, I got the job!
on October 21, 2015
I firmly believe that this helped me nail my interview. I was told I sounded more professional than the other educators with 15+ experience! I am a special education teacher and it covered our field perfectly and put intelligent words in my mouth that, when under pressure, I can't seem to find. I highly recommend this book!
on June 18, 2012
Besides the many questions in the book, there are other things in the book that were helpful, like what to do before the interview and how to dress, as well as what to do after the interview....like the thank you letter.
The best thing about this book is that the author actually gave his email in case you had a personal question. I took him up on this and he replied back within hours and answered my questions. This is an incredible thing to do.
How many people woule want to charge you for that? The only one thing that did not help me were how some of the questions were answered, b/c it was from the perspective of a brand new teacher. However, after every answer, the author gave his opinion about each question. There are also many "principal comments" scattered throughout the book. Just a note: I wore slacks to two interviews and was offered both jobs. I think the author is telling you his opinion about wearing a skirt-which I'm sure I will do on my next interview.
on April 24, 2014
I was skeptical of relying on a book for my summer of job interviews. I read the book and immediately felt prepared for any question or scenario that could come my way. I appreciated going through all of the information from the principal's perspective, as it greatly helped land my first job. I was able to get an interview and get job right from the get go. Definitely read this if you are struggling at standing out at job interviews! I probably would have gone through rounds and rounds of interviews had I never read this book.
on May 10, 2014
First let me tell you I am a nontraditional student. When I graduated I couldn't even get my foot in the door. Another graduate who for two years was trying to get a job suggested that I get a book on how to interview (this book being one of her recommendations). I didn't even know such a book existed. So I ordered two books and started reading this book first. This book had so much practical information that I didn't even read the other book. There is even a chapter just for non-traditional students as well. Which gave me hope that there would be a place for me in the teaching world. Let me just say I studied this book. I purchased index cards put a question on one side and my answer on the other side and practiced just so my answers were in my brain, second nature. When I got my interview I spend time re-reading the book, re-thinking about my answers, and doing my home work. If Anthony said do it, I did it, even if I thought it was stupid. i.e. research the schools web site. Because, wouldn't you know I was able to use that information in my interview. Every question I was asked in the interview was in this book! I was offered the job the next day and I know without a shadow of a doubt without reading this book I don't believe I would have gotten this job even with all of my education and experience. What sets you apart? Why should they hire you? Read this book! It is worth your money 100 fold.
on August 19, 2015
Ace Your Teacher Interview should be read by every teacher candidate before their first interview. I thought I answered interview questions great but after a dozen or so interviews, I wasn't getting the real teaching job I wanted. I did get hired, but it wasn't the desired school I really wanted. After reading the book, I realized my answers were good, but not great. I didn't change my answers, I improved them and explained myself better. Appendix A helped me immensely as this is my second career as a was able to retire from a previous job. It helped me explain as an older teaching candidate what I could bring to the table. I just got my dream job in a great school district because this book made me a more desirable candidate. Use this book to get that competitive edge. The small investment will reap rewards.