4.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater
Published on September 27, 2012 by re

3.0 out of 5 stars Written for First-Time Teachers
Published 5 months ago by J. McCray

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Ace Your Teacher Interview: 149 Fantastic Answers to Tough Interview Questions (Paperback)
I, too, agreed with the poster who objected to the sexist advice that female teachers should wear a skirt to their interviews because pants are too informal. I'm not sure where the author lives or how old he is, but I can say that here in Seattle, in 2012, most female principals and higher-up administrators are wearing slacks or pantsuits to work--and I hardly feel they would hold female interviewees to a different standard.

Unlike the other poster, I did not stop reading. For the most part, the advice is sound and detailed. I appreciated that the questions and answers were accompanied by explanations of what the interviewer is really getting at and what pitfalls to avoid. I liked the advice to come in prepared with 4-5 stories to tell, and the questions themselves are ones all interviewees should be prepared to answer. It's clear that the audience for this book is young, just-out-of-college teachers as some of the advice seems a bit ridiculous (really, we have to be told not to crack our knuckles during the interview?) and some of the attempts at humor come across a bit condescending, "While you may consider yourself to be an outstanding foosball player or the next great 'American Idol' candidate, I'm sure you will agree that the interviewer would have a difficult time seeing the relevance of these descriptors to life in the classroom." (p86) But I'm guessing this advice is in there because actual people have made these mistakes.

As the author advocates, practice answering the questions, but make the answers your own. I could never imagine saying, "I love challenges and I love hard work!" (p.69) Not because I don't or because I'm not an enthusiastic person, but because my internal BS-meter would be reading off the charts if I heard someone else say that. Overall, a great resource, but take it with a grain of salt if you are over the age of 22.

5.0 out of 5 stars best purchase I've made, April 13, 2013
This should be required reading for all Education Majors. I spent one year looking for a teaching job with no luck. I bought this book, and taught me what I was doing wrong in interviews and on applications. I now have a full time teaching job that I love! This would make an excellent graduation gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Your Teacher Interview, March 29, 2013
As a retired school superintendent with over forty years teaching and administrative experience, and now a supervisor of student teachers, I have been on both sides of the interview table and have given advice to many regarding teacher interviews. Anthony Fredericks' book is a great resource that will provide one with the tools necessary to successfully obtain a teaching job in a down-turned economy. His book provides insider tips and author advice filled with positive strategies, techniques, and other clear information and important considerations for teachers seeking a job in today's competitive education job market.

Chapters 7, 8, 9 and 10 alone makes Fredericks' book worth reading. There are over 150 questions, appropriate answers and some thoughts as to why the question is asked, plus questions to ask the interviewer, and how to properly follow up your interview. Nonverbal communication such as clothing, enthusiasm, and body language, as well as mistakes to avoid, are well addressed. The author even has a personal email address for those who may desire additional specific advice or explanation.

If you want to make a good impression with HR staff, principals, and other administrative personnel, and rise above the competition in the eyes of a potential employer, Fredericks' book is for you. It is a book to also revisit between each interview to hone your interview skills even more for the next interview. I consider it a must read for every college education major and job seeking teacher.

3.0 out of 5 stars Written for First-Time Teachers, June 10, 2014
This book is extremely well-written for students who have just graduated from college and are interviewing for their very first teaching position. I am an experienced teacher who purchased the book because I have not interviewed in many, many years and I wanted to brush up on my interview skills. The suggested answers given in the book often relate to student teaching experience or non-teaching (but related) work experience. I would not suggest this book for teachers who already have teaching experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to BEAT the competition and land a teaching job!, May 31, 2012
Ace Your Teacher Interview is a MUST READ for every college education student and job-seeking teacher! As I was reading through this book, I found myself sitting back thinking about how I would personally use the information presented to better prepare myself for the competitive education job market. The chapter entitled "Single-Most Important Question You Must Always Answer" was especially thought provoking. I think the concern that every teacher has is how to rise above the competition in the eyes of a potential employer. Without a shadow of a doubt, I believe that this chapter absolutely answers this question! If you are searching for a resource that will provide you with the tools necessary to successfully obtain a teaching job in a down-turned economy, then this book is a MUST HAVE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tips!!, October 15, 2013
Great tips!! Except I wish there was more in there regarding common core standards and what schools expect us to think of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Questions with Good Answers, July 20, 2013
I'm a pre-service teacher fresh out of graduate school. I was so nervous about my upcoming interview because I didn't know what questions to expect. This book helped me prepare for my interviews, providing me with some questions the interviewers could ask along with great responses. I'd definitely recommend the "Ziggers!" chapter to anyone because I was always asked a tricky question ! The book (along with additional question research on search engines) helped me to feel more confident in the interview.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREATEST BOOK, August 3, 2012
I am currently a college student and it is my senior year. When I saw this book, I got it right away. When I started to read the book, I felt it was written at a comprehensive level for anyone to understand. I enjoyed how the author gave his insight on how it is to be interviewed and to be the interviewer. This book gives you insight on both sides of an interview. If you get this book, you will not regret it because the author relates well to the auidence--which are future teachers seeking a job in todays economy. The author is very intelligent and is a very respected professor because he builds great rapport with anyone he encounters. I am definitely using this book to be prepared and to ace a teacher's interview.

5.0 out of 5 stars Author is sincere and helpful, June 18, 2012
Besides the many questions in the book, there are other things in the book that were helpful, like what to do before the interview and how to dress, as well as what to do after the interview....like the thank you letter.
The best thing about this book is that the author actually gave his email in case you had a personal question. I took him up on this and he replied back within hours and answered my questions. This is an incredible thing to do.
How many people woule want to charge you for that? The only one thing that did not help me were how some of the questions were answered, b/c it was from the perspective of a brand new teacher. However, after every answer, the author gave his opinion about each question. There are also many "principal comments" scattered throughout the book. Just a note: I wore slacks to two interviews and was offered both jobs. I think the author is telling you his opinion about wearing a skirt-which I'm sure I will do on my next interview.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for wanna be teachers, July 21, 2014
This is a really good book for teacher. It was informative and gave me advice that no one tells you about. It is a book that tells you what to do and how to act during an interview.

Ace Your Teacher Interview: 149 Fantastic Answers to Tough Interview Questions
Ace Your Teacher Interview: 149 Fantastic Answers to Tough Interview Questions by Anthony D. Fredericks (Paperback - January 1, 2012)
$12.95 $8.81