1,225 of 1,287 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice But Not a Full PC or Mac Replacement
The Acer Wi-Fi Chromebook shares the distinction of being the first commercial Chromebook with another model by Samsung. The Acer Wi-Fi Chromebook will sell for $349 while the Samsung model will sell for $429 (Wi-Fi) and $499 (Wi-Fi and 3G capable). I have been testing the CR-48 Chromebook for the last five months. During this time I have come to see the positives and the...
Published on May 11, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice portable web browser, but reliability problems
I originally posted this as a four-star review, but after the second unanticipated reboot today, I find the Chromebook too unreliable; thus a three-star rating is more appropriate.

This Chromebook is ideal for me. I have a powerful desktop PC, but I wanted something portable to browse the web.

Pros:
Boots quickly, wakes quickly from sleep...
Published on July 15, 2011 by Michael Shorts

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot connect to SECURE wireless networks, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
This is from the Chromebook support website:

"Your Chromebook can connect to the following types of Wi-Fi networks:

Standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2, WEP-Enterprise
Networks using security certificates are not supported..."

If the only thing you can do with the Chromebook is surf the web, at least you would expect to be able to connect to the same wireless networks you can connect with any other laptop, itouch, ipad etc. But I was very surprised to find YOU CAN'T. I work in a few hospitals and I was planning on using the chromebook in the hospitals. One of the hospitals had a few wireless networks none of which I was able to access despite many calls to the IT department. The main problem was that Chrome OS does not support this types of networks. In another hospital I was able to connect to the guest wireless network but it took a few tries. Then the connection was unstable and then I could not connect for a while meanwhile I was able to connect with my itouch all the time. Really, the least you would expect from the Chromebook is to be good at wireless. Otherwise, the computer is really nice for typing, the touchpad, the size, the weight, the display. Its really a nice computer but only if you could use it.....I have to say that at home I had no issues. In summary, if you are going to use this computer where there are secure wireless networks don't buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chromebook for my Mother, July 12, 2011
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
When my mother first opened the package revealing her chromebook, the first thing she said was "It's so small." Now I understand that the product is listed as 11" so this isn't really a complaint but rather an observation. I preferred that Google offer a 13" option or make the Samsung chromebook 13".

The chromebook is built on an Intel Dual Core Atom N570 @1.66Ghz and an integrated Intel GMA 3150. It's not the fastest CPU for a 11" computer but it doesn't have to be. The computer could handle most (if not all) tasks that my mother needed to do. I have yet to test the full potential of the battery but you could say that 6 hours is pretty accurate. There's no overheating that I've noticed so far and I don't think there will be.

I really dislike the keyboard and trackpad. Let me put this out there that the trackpad SUCKS. It's cheap plastic that is not very smooth. The "raised" keyboard design is just asking for dust and dirt to accumulate underneath the keys. For a $340 computer I'm sure the keyboard and trackpad could've been A LOT better. I'm taking off a star because of this.

I really like Chrome OS. Maybe that's because I only use Google chrome on my main computer. It's very convenient for somebody like me who stores his documents in Google Docs. I'm not exactly worried about Google having access to my information. It's just essays and powerpoints from my AP US History class. The feel of the OS is pretty much like having Google Chrome open except you can't close it. Not a big deal but it is a big change.

A summary of what I think:
Pros:
-Lightweight and sleek design
-Fast startup (<6 seconds)
-Immediately on the web

Cons:
-Price
-Keyboard and trackpad are made out of cheap plastic
-Battery is placed really awkwardly (part of it sticks out w/rubber standoffs)
-NO CAPSLOCK BUTTON

4.0 out of 5 stars nice netbook, but not a full computer, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
what i mean by that is that its a nice netbook, but it wont replace a mac or a windows (im sure u have heard this many times). some things to tell you: its for online use online. its actually just a browser. this means that u cant download programs onto it. that kinda bothers me because i cant use microsoft word. google drives works, but it can be a pain. one thing that really bothers me is that there is know auto caps on the first word or on "i".
also if u play games like me, its not the best computer for gaming. it can be kinda slow sometimes, mainly with online games.

well just some things to think about. over all, its nice but i wish i had gotten a windows 7 computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 issues with ACER Chromebook (with suggestions to overcome), December 9, 2011
I don't like 2 things in this computer:

1. The trackpad sucks. The pointer moves away when I am trying to click on a link! I think this is because the trackpad is hard, requiring extra effort to click. So, if I enable tap-to-click under Chrome settings, the trackpad acts as if it is now over sensitive! As I am moving the pointer across the screen to get to a link, other links that are on the way get clicked accidentally.

How to overcome:

Use your index finger to click, and NOT your thumb. Since the tip of the index finger is more 'pointy' than the side of the thumb, clicking action is more precise.

2. The screen brightness seems to be dimming and brightening on its own.

How to overcome:

Take your left hand away from the light sensor which is above the esc key.

OK, if I can add a third issue - while typing this text, I have hit the = key at least a dozen times instead of the backspace key. Guessing the backspace key is smaller than usual!

Otherwise, the computer seems to be built tight.

Hats off to Google ChromeOS team. I simply love the basic concepts on which this operating system is built.

3.0 out of 5 stars i liked it.., May 11, 2012
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
And I was going to keep it, but I had to send it back. It looked brand new coming out of the box but somehow the power hey was coming off and when I pressed it for the first time I felt something crunch so I sent it back.
It has a funky touch / click mouse pad but I could get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap, good for everything I need to do at home, January 26, 2012
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
The quick start is so great compared to the interminable wait for Windows to load. The only thing I use my computer at home for is to use the internet, and the Chromebook is perfect for that. I like the keyboard, touchpad, and function buttons on this model.

The only thing that I would suggest for future Chromebooks is some way to download files directly to Google Docs, rather than downloading to the Chromebook and then uploading to Google Docs. That is cumbersome. Also, the downloads popup that appears when you try to download a file is too small when it displays the warning message ("This type of file can harm your computer..."). The small size means you can't click the corresponding "Keep" or "Discard" buttons.

4.0 out of 5 stars impression of acer Chromebook, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
I received this computer on July 13th. I have had some spotty trouble that was due to my Windows upbringing.
It took me awhile to figure out why sound was there one day and the next only at the exit screen. It was my doing and I have figured out sound and how to get photos from my camera.
This thing fires up fast and it is a perfect tool for the internet. I would recommend this chrome book as a perfect fit for anyone who wants access to internet without bloat ware of a normal windows / mac machine.
This machine will not replace a laptop when it comes to ease of printing, and some software.
I like it alot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thinking it be great for a beginner, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
Bought this for my mom, as her first computer. Thinking it be great for a beginner. Not easy to navigate or trouble shoot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not last very long, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
Bought this for my daughter for school and did not last long at all. Had a lot of problems with it from day one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi) (Personal Computers)
I received this as a Christmas gift. Purchased from TigerDirect (avoid them at all costs, more on them in a few). Chrome for starters is a mediocre operating system. If you are looking for a tablet with a keyboard, this is basically what you want. Great for web browsing and some minor things, but besides that it's a tablet in my opinion.

A week into owning it, I realized if you don't have the plug to charge it placed at a certain angle....it doesn't hold a charge. 90 degree angle or you aren't charging. And now just today I'm using it, it's plugged in, was plugged in all night charging (left the plug at the right angle to keep it charging!!! And it just shuts off. Not because it died from low battery, but because it just died.

TigerDirect has a 30 day return policy, thats over now. So I get to play with Acer. I understand things have defects, and occasionally things don't work. But when you buy a higher priced item ($200 is cheap for a laptop/notebook/etc but still), I expect the thing to not DIE less than 60 days after using it. I also don't even use it daily.

If you're looking for something like this stuff, get a used Ipad somewhere, or just get a real laptop. There are so many products that you can't get the full value of because chrome OS only has stripped down versions. Like Trillian? You can get a better version on your Android phone.

Initially when we bought it, TigerDirect said it was available, then a week later says it's back ordered. Mind you it's for a christmas gift and they were just going to hold my girlfriends money hostage and kill the idea of having a present on time. I should've known it was destiny to get a junk machine too.

If you DO buy the acer chromebook, you should probably get it from Amazon, at least if there is problems they would take care of them. If you're remotely stubborn or get bitter from products that don't work, then avoid this one.

I'm the type of person that if something doesn't work pretty early into owning it, then I don't want it. I don't want a new one, nothing. I just don't trust the item. Now I have a large paperweight that I want to throw.

Acer AC700-1099 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)
Out of stock