on July 6, 2006
Pros:

The resolution of 1920x1200 is perfect for this size, any more and the refresh would drag for all but the top end video cards. Works very nicely for gaming with no ghosting. Colors and brightness are good "out of the box" and can be easily adjusted.

Included were both VGA and DVI cables. The unit is sleek and light weight at about 20 pounds. There are no speakers, which I consider to be a plus since all they do is add size/weight and usually sound awful!

Cons:

The documentation is a joke! It would be nice to at least list the monitor's specifications and supported resolutions somewhere. The native resolution is printed on the box, not anyplace in the "documentation".

With this monitor, full screen gaming is now at 2.3 megapixels as compared to 1.3 megapixels on a 1280x1024 screen. Your FPS will be lower and you will notice a general sluggishness. It's not the monitor's fault!

The stand only has tilt forward/backwards. No height adjustment.

The controls are simple, but adequate. There isn't a mode to do 1:1 scaling

so if you select 1280x768 it will scale the input to full screen anyway. Would have been nicer to not have all resolutions run to full screen.

Final thought:

A nice monitor! Great display quality, trim package that is light weight.

No dead pixels! A booklet in 10 languages about the warranty (which is 3 years parts/labor) but no mail-in warranty form.

I had problems with the DVI connector. I have been using a DVI cable that

has 4 pins, 2 on each side of the flat "blade" pin on one side. This cable fit everything I was using, video cards and other monitors. But, I had to use the cable that came with this monitor since it's DVI connector doesn't have these extra pins (or they got filled with plastic). Strange....

Buy this monitor. It's the best performer at this price point!
on January 26, 2007
Verified Purchase
I bought this monitor almost a year ago to pair up with my alienware for World of Warcraft, and it was everything I wanted it to be.

Pros

- This thing is huge, I love it, I can pull up multiple things on it, watch a movie while typing stuff up, have games running in windowed mode while I browse the internet etc.

- Autoadjust button, especially helpful if you play older games that don't support the resolution, often times they load up slightly off center. Hit autoadjust. (or I'm sure you could manually adjust)

-Seems to keep up with any game I've played as far as ghosting. Perhaps to a very trained eye you'd notice something..but I haven't.

- Relatively low price, my friends were surprised at what I paid, but honestly it's probably around the standard price for this caliber product.

Cons

- Widescreen can be a burden on games that don't support it...especially older ones. WoW looked absolutely great, and the screen being wider only made it better. Some games, however...look not so great when stretched a 1900x1200 native resolution.

One thing I must mention..if you buy this monitor pray to _god_ you don't get a lemon. Acer's customer support is the worst I've seen of any company, and I've seen plenty. I had a potential problem with my monitor, and it is literally _impossible_ to get ahold of anyone from that company for help. The phone system doesn't get you ahold of anyone, I tried emailing them, faxing, phoning them multiple times and never got so much as a response. The online help is also a joke. I would rate the quality of the product a 5, but the quality of the support an absolute 0. It's bad enough that I would almost say go with a company with a better customer service track record...I'm fairly certain I'm pretty much just screwed if this one ever dies on me. (luckily I fixed my problem myself, but be careful people)
on March 28, 2007
I love this thing! I didn't think I would. I always read about CRT monitors being better than LCD's when in came to photo's and video editing. Plus I've never used an Acer monitor. I connected it via the DVI connection, set it to 1920 x 1200 and tweaked the settings a bit. The picture just blew me away. I left my analog CRT connected via the VGA to compare the two and I was amazed at the range of colors on this monitor. My CRT was washed in grays and the Acer AL2415wd was just crystal clear, crisp, and a fantastic range of contrast. Blacks were Black. Whites were white. And the reds were red. It was like I got a new set of prescription glasses. I definitely want another one.

I highly recommend this monitor. I always wanted an Apple monitor but wasn't willing to spend the cash. This monitor might not be as good or stylish, but it definitely does the job it was made for.
on January 27, 2007
Verified Purchase
This is a wonderful looking display, so bright in fact that I had to turn it down to only about 20% brightness. Unfortunately the unit I received had a heat problem and, after 2-3 hours of use, became unstable. Had Amazon been able to replace it I would have taken a replacement but alas I had to settle for a refund.

Pros: Bright, excellent contrast, wide display; good adjustments via menus.

Cons: Display stand has no hight adjustment; awkward to switch between VGA and DVI inputs.
on June 6, 2006
Oh yeah!!! I work with 3D, compositing, video edit, multimedia, web and prints. I love Games. My system is a Dell Precision 380, Quadro FX 1400. And if this card can play in high resolution (1600x1200) fast enough, many others can.

Oh Yeah!!! this guy rocks. Perfect. 0 Dead Pixels. DVI Super Crisp Images and Texts. In fact I can see some ghost, but believe me, only if you really want to see, to write a fare review. And YES YOU CAN PLAY GAMES and watch DVDs PERFECTLY.

That's it. I'm really really happy!!!

And texts don't get to small at 1920x1200.

I bought a Viewsonic VX924 too, to use together with this guy, but 24 is good enough, I'm used to have 2x21 Inches 4:3 CRTs. And now 1x24 Inch 16:10 LCD Acer is all I need.

Buy it. The price worth. I don't care to HDCP compliance, because there will be converters, and probably I'll watch HD Videos in a Plasma TV, not in my computer.

Amazon was fast, cheap and trouble-less.
on January 20, 2007
Verified Purchase
The display is large and bright; it's easy to set up and configure. However, I found the text quality blurred as compared with my Apple Cinema Display, which needs to be replaced. Also, color rendition is inferior to that of the Apple.

I was induced into buying the Acer by the online reviews, which are clearly positive. I must respectfully disagree with these assessments.

Also, I am disappointed in Amazon's requiring that its customers abide by the return policies of Amazon's commercial partners. Having purchased hundreds of items from Amazon and occasionally returning several, I was delighted with Amazon's no-questions-asked policy--including a return label that I could print out. The third party involved with the Acer product may impose a 15-percent restocking fee, since I wish to return the unit. I would prefer that Amazon extend its no-hassle return policy to ALL items purchased through its website.
on May 16, 2007
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a 1080i monitor that would allow for HD TV, Video and crisp document display. Using Vista and MS-Office 2007 my documents have an exceptional brightness and clarity. The price was right and the clarity is unsurpassed for PC monitors.
on August 26, 2008
I have owned this monitor (AL2416W) for 2 years 4 months. When it works it is not too bad, however, I have sent this monitor back to Acer 3 times in that period. Twice I have paid for the shipping, once Acer footed the bill. I received it from service just last week from it's third trip only to get it back dead. Long story short, Acer has the worst customer service I have ever seen. Acer refuses to fix this item even though it is still under warranty and arrived DOA unless I pay for shipping once again... for a total of three times and approximately $210.00. Acer is a joke and I highly urge you to avoid any product this company produces. As for my dilemma, any suggestioons are welcome. contact@diyskate.com
on April 7, 2007
This review is actually for the 2423W model, but since Amazon does not seem to have a link for that one, besides this is more about Acer than the monitor itself.

I got this monitor beginning of February, 2007. At the beginning I was very impressed by the monitor. About 5 weeks into using it, it started giving problems, a window would come up on the monitor saying No Signal! But even when the window is up, I can see the computer screen behind it. I can run applications... Then after a couple of minutes, the screen goes black and 5 seconds later it comes back up as if nothing has happened. Supposedly it has good speakers too, but on this one I had to nearly put my ears against the monitor.

So here I am, with a bad unit. Okay, it is not even 2 months old, I figure with a 3 year warranty, Acer will fix it. Yes, they will, but they can not get their service request numbers straight. Their CSRs can not distinguish between zeros and the letter O apparently. The agent repeatedly tells me it is a zero, not an O, and the email, when it finally comes to me, has an O in it, not a zero. Finally, I have to pay to ship it to Acer. Why? When it is just 2 months into its warranty? This thing is bulky enough that I will be paying around $40 to $50 just to ship it to them. That, on top of the huge tag on the monitor itself! If it was out of warranty, yes certainly. But almost right after purchasing it? How about crossing another unit in the mail? No, you bought it, you can deal with it. Sorry if you are out your computer for two weeks.

Yeah right, I would just love to buy Acer stuff ever again.

Getting off my soapbox, I still think that Acer should have replaced the unit at their cost. Yes, defective units are a reality, but you do not tell the customer they need to spend more money because you can not do quality control on your products.
on July 6, 2006
Verified Purchase
Awesome performance for a small price! This monitor has the best specs of any other 23+ inch monitor on the market today. You won't be sorry. Fantastic resolution and controls are easy. I do NOT work for Acer.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations