Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 1, 2013
After reading a lot of reviews, it was clear this computer needed more memory and that replacing the memory was really easy. So far, I've upgraded the memory, the hard drive, and the operating system. Getting access to the inside of the computer is as simple as laying it bottom up, removing the battery and one screw. The bottom slides off with just a little pressure.

First I changed the memory from one 2GB stick to one 8GB stick Corsair 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory (CMSO8GX3M1A1333C9). (There is only one memory slot, so store the 2GB for another time.) The next time you boot the computer, the 8GB is automatically detected, no jumpers to set, no changes need to be done in window's control panel. If you only do one upgrade, do this! Memory is cheap (right now the module above is $47).

My next upgrade was to change the hard drive to an SSD hard drive for increased speed, faster boot, etc. I didn't buy my SSD from amazon but instead used crucial dot com. They have kits that allow you to clone your hard drive onto the SSD. I couldn't find that on amazon at the time.

My last upgrade was to Windows 8. I was fortunate to be in the purchase window where I could download Windows 8 for only $14.95. This turned my cheap netbook ($276 at time of purchase) into an amazing little computer.
on January 20, 2013
Exactly what I needed. I use it on my TV as a DVR and internet download. At first it was great, now the WiFi has slowed to a crawl. I tried an Ethernet cable and it works well, I also connected an add on WiFi unit and the internet is fast again. I will need to send it back for repairs.
on December 3, 2012
This is a very good netbook it arrived on time and in good condition
Booted it and updated and it's working.
It was bought as a gift, so i was able to go thru it's specs, remember it is only a
netbook not a top end laptop. It is the right size to carry around plus you can increase
the memory or even replace the harddrive with a SSD to speed it up.
To top it off it comes with a USB3 port and a SD reader.
It takes a little while to boot fully but if you do the upgrade it should be faster.
on February 20, 2013
IT STARTED OUT OK AND SLOWLY THE O,R,T, BUTTONS WENT. I CONTACTED THE CO AFTER AMAZON SAID TO LATE TO RETURN IT AND ACER WONT RETURN MY EMAILS.I AM FORCED TO USE MY ONSCREEN KEYBOARD TO USE THIS PAPERWEIGHT NOW. BUY FROM A COMPANY WITH A BETTER PRODUCT AND SERVICE!
on January 3, 2013
Nice screen, very portable, has a good keyboard, great for my use as a journalist to carry with me and take notes during interviews. Better than any tablet as far as I can tell.
Slow out of the box. Google some tips on removing a lot of pre-installed bloatware, now seems a bit faster, but still way slower than my regular laptop.
Touchpad takes a lot of getting used to so that you don't inadvertently touch it and mess up what you're writing. I'm getting better at it, though.
Battery life seems good compared to a previous netbook I had. I'm tempted to keep it on high-performance energy setting, which reduces battery time.
Gets the job done!
on October 22, 2012
I have owned this now for six months. I find no problems at all with it.

It has some nice features for an inexpensive laptop:

Very comfortible keyboard for such a small computer.
Super fast loading of webpages, very powerful for it's size.
Small and lightweight
Almost never crashes (correction: NEVER crashes)
I can keep multiple webpages and programs open without any problems
It comes with full Microsoft Office, yay!
HDMI port for watching streaming movies

This is a real workhorse for such a small laptop. I do most of my writing on this and it goes almost everywhere with me. It's lightweight. It has no lag and webpages pop in immediately, and I can keep several big programs open on it simultaneously without any crashes. In fact, it has never crashed. It runs and performs flawlessly. It does get pretty hot on the bottom but it doesn't seem to affect the performance any. It might be a problem if I used this on my lap though.

I used this with an inexpensive external DVD drive to watch my movies on from Netflix. The cam is nice and sharp. I can't really find any negatives about this, unless it's the sound from the speaker which is very low volume. Fortunately I have a wireless external speaker I use with this. The soundcard is excellent.

This includes a recovery partition that will allow you to basically reload Windows and all the programs this came with in the event of a catastrophic failure, a nice feature to have if needed. For the price, this was an excellent buy and it gets heavy daily use from me. Love it!
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2015
I have had this laptop for about 7 months. Perhaps 2-3 months into usage, the screen began malfunctioning for reasons that were not immediately apparent. I'd been very careful to safely stow and secure the laptop for every travel, to no avail. The start of this problem was not so bad; sometimes the screen would freeze or turn a "shimmering" white, and I'd have to adjust it ever so slightly to return visibility.

The issue grew steadily worse, and soon enough I was having to physically hold the screen in place in order to see anything. The slightest movement - even BREATHING too hard - meant I would lose the "Golden Angle" and have to adjust the stupid thing again. It was worse than having bunny ears on an old television. My "solution" came in the form of finding things to hold it in place so I could type with both hands; no one should have to put clothesline clips in strategic places on the sides of their laptop screen just to check their email. If the screen was feeling particularly fickle, I'd have to utilize the HDMI cable on my roommate's television.

To my everlasting fortune, the screen finally retired when it slid off my lap one day and struck the wall beside my bed. I won't blame Acer for that one; that one was my fault. However, I like to think that perhaps my screen had committed suicide in order to avoid the dreaded crocodile clips again, or that - like a person diagnosed with a fatal disease - decided it didn't want to live in an agonized half-life any longer.

At present, the screen resembles a Rorschach test - white background with ink blots. It's just like a painting made by two people - the ink blots are mine, and the long-lived "shimmering" white background belongs to the people who made this piece of junk. This PC is now now longer a laptop, and is plugged indefinitely into an external monitor. Not that it was ever truly a laptop to begin with, considering all that has happened.

As if this were not enough of an issue, though, the USB and power ports are also indecisive and borderline broken. Like the screen's early days, anything that is plugged into this laptop needs to be held in place from time to time in order to charge or function. I get a nice series of audio blips from my computer every time this happens, of course - I think it might be trying to make its own electronic music beats. On, off, on, off, on, off, in succession. Acer could give Daft Punk a run for its money!

This is not my first PC from Acer, but it will certainly be my last. Another Acer-brand laptop I owned is now in a hardware wheelchair just to keep itself cool, because the internal fan failed after approximately one year of use. I am thoroughly fed-up with malfunctioning equipment.

So, dear customer, if you are reading this and thinking of buying this laptop, I am going to follow the desperate cries of, "Oh god! Please, don't!" I'm a fan of indie artists rising to the top with their own music and light shows, but this is supposed to be a functioning laptop, not a German techno club.
on November 22, 2013
This netbook was a superior value when I purchased it a year ago ($250). Shortly thereafter, I dropped a 64GB Samsung 830 SSD into it for $60, and I can now be on the desktop in Windows 7 in 14-15 seconds. Note: the SSD got 5 stars, but this laptop gets a 4 for flimsy design. The main problem is that the screen had pixels going out in only 2 months of use; they manifested at the bottom and top of the screen toward the center, and seem to be the result of excessive pressure. Now, I could excuse this if it was warranted by misuse, but I always put it into a padded slip before placing it in my school bag. That being said, the problem hasn't gotten much worse in the last few months, and it's far from being unusable/unreadable. Beyond that, the whole design feels cheap, but you have to expect such things at this price point. Don't get me wrong though, I am no acer hater, and I have never had issue with their products. This is no exception. Set aside minor build quality issues, the aesthetics are well-thought, so it doesn't look cheap. Furthermore, it's remarkable that it's still fully functional after a year of heavy use: no broken keys, no overheating, no worn out ports, and no hardware failures. Good product for the price.
on September 12, 2012
The delivery of the object was fast and efficient. The pc itself is a great product: light, powerful and quite fast to be a netbook. Even the battery (which is only 4 cells) allows me to do all the work i need without worry too much for the authonomy. If you have the proper settings you can go on for four to five hours.... I am very pleased in general and the price was right. Sorry for the mistakes i am not english mother tongoue. :-)
on November 20, 2012
Being a consultant, and also serving on the board of directors of an institute, I wanted a netbook which I could dedicate to the institute's business, and easily take to board meetings. After considerable research, I decided on the Acer Aspire One 725-0899. It has proven to be a reliable workhorse. Its durability, ease of use, battery life, excellent user reviews, and features often found in more costly units, has convinced me that this is one of the best values for the money in netbook products.