4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Quirky
Published 22 months ago by Frank Hoeft

2.0 out of 5 stars Not DOA but on full life support
Published 22 months ago by Ray King

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Quirky, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AO756-2626 11.6-Inch Laptop (1.1 GHz Intel Celeron Processor 847, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, Windows 8) Ash Black (Personal Computers)
Update 12/21/2012
I've added a few upgrades after reading some reviews on other models, and found a great combination on the cheap, all from amazon. I'll upload some pictures too. First I added a new wireless card, it wasn't the easiest to find but it added dual band N and bluetooth for under $25 and is a cinch to install. just remember to get the drivers from the intel website for it, they increased my range considerably. Its link is Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail Second I added a matched set uf crucial 4 GB ram modules, dont think it really maters wheather or not they are matched or if they will run dual channel but figured what the heck Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BC1339 Lastly I added a crucial M4 128gb SSD, the machine runs fine with a traditional HDD, but starts from sleep almost instantly with the SSD. This isn't my main machine, and honestly is much more useful than my 64gb iPad I paid twice as much for. Adding the SSD takes a little work though. Make the restore usb stick using the acer recovery program first of all. If you want to overprovision the drive is where it gets tricky. SSD's do wear out over time. It will likely outlast two of these little portables, but overprovisioning set some space aside to be used to replace some of the blocks as they wear out. I'm no good with linux but a friend pointed me to a program called Hdat2. It allows you to create a HPA (hidden protected area), BUT you need to boot to it from a disk on a windows machine with standard bios and not UEFI. If you are good with linux you could also do this easily with a bootable distro. Just make sure you get the 7mm version of the drive so it will fit. Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD1

Update: 12/8/2012
Still running great, one little issue I personally have with it is the space bar is a little short, I usually space with my right thumb but I have to pay a little more attention not to miss it. As far as a speed I was a little cncerned about the celeron, it seems to be keeping up just fine. I dont think I would attempt to game on it. I would make the recovery discs for them, I just used to USB keys (one has to be at least 16 GB), and tossed them in the box, hopefully I'll never need them.

Original review:
I'm going to write my initial impressions and update this review as I put it through the paces a little. As far a build quality its a plastic netbook. Its no macbook air, but its also $700 less. The trackpad has a little bit of rattle to it, but isnt bad. the screen is nice, the viewing angle fair with good resolution and no bad pixels (a pet peeve of mine). I wouldn't go any smaller as far as sub-notebooks go in screen size and resolution, I had an 8.9 and 10.1, both were awful. This feels like you could get some work done on it. It great in respect to upgrade-ability. The bottom comes off by just removing one screw and siding off the bottom. This is fantastic! My last netbook required that you remove the keyboard and the clips never went back quite right. I already upgraded the Ram to 8 gig (i had an extra 4 gig module in a drawer) and its much better than atom based models I've had in the past. It looks like it would be an easy upgrade to an SSD and have a great machine on the cheap.

I did have the wireless problem another reviewer had, I updated the driver through device manager and have been good to go since. The trackpad for some reason is set to natural scrolling, which I hate on my mac. You can turn it off but need to dig into the program files a little to find the setting. There is a bunch of crapware to disable, but thats no big surprise.

Overall a really nice value for the money. I wanted something cheap and portable, but not my main machine so it doesn't need to be ultra fast or fancy. Most of my frusterations just stem from Windows 8. It isn't bad per se, actually very innovative, but also has a pretty steep learning curve, making things i used to do intuitively much more difficult. Maybe its the comfort of having the desktop as an option keeps me from fully embracing "metro", I dunno. If you have any questions please comment and I'll do my best to help.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not DOA but on full life support, November 26, 2012
Ray King (Camas, Wa USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for a friend whose key requirement was portability, not performance. Even with performance in the back seat, I elected to go with a Celeron based machine as I was concerned an Atom based one lacked the minimum horsepower to make a user happy. The computer showed up with the usual prompt Amazon delivery and seemed in good condition on arrival. That's the last of the "good" statements you'll see. During the initial power up, the machine autonomously shut down. I hadn't paid too much attention up until that time as my friend was certainly capable of running through the new user initialization screens. After a second shutdown, I became more involved. It made it through to the desktop on the third try and I assumed it was some sort of learning curve issue until it instantly closed out of Windows 8 while doing essentially nothing. At this time, it wouldn't even boot properly and shutdown before hitting the windows screen. The second attempt brought up a screen asking about whether to try correcting Windows. Figuring there was certainly something wrong, it seemed reasonable to say, "Yes" and it went though it's correction routines. We were then able to get it to boot properly. Again I made the assumption the problems were Windows based and transient in nature. After downloading Skype, I was talking to my son when the machine shut off, instantly. Like the other times, this wasn't an orderly shutdown but rather as if someone had just pulled the plug (yes, this is a laptop but you get the drift. For what it's worth, the configuration for the first couple of boot attempts were on the battery which was fully charged but after that, I plugged the machine in to ensure there wasn't some sort of battery issue). We did another start and this time it stayed up for about 15 minutes. Two more shutdowns and I hit the Amazon return button.

I wanted to like this machine because if it had worked, it would have been an ideal machine for its intended use. The screen was certainly adequate and while the keyboard was small for my hands, I'm sure a person could get used to touch typing on it. Two USB ports allowed me to hook a portable DVD drive to it and it read and installed software fine. Unfortunately, there was a quality (or design) problem. I did an internet search for Windows 8 autonomous shutdowns and didn't find any results so it appears to be on the hardware side. When I ordered I was concerned about Acer quality and in this instance, it appears they cut one too many corners and lost a sale. It's difficult to objectively rate a computer that arrives with a hardware problem. Without the problem I encountered, it might be a great machine so giving a one star rating based on an obviously defective machine is a bit harsh. I'm sure this isn't the typical computer but I felt I couldn't rate it higher than two stars because even though it had potential, Acer quality control wasn't up to preventing defective machines from making it to end users and any buyer needs to be aware of this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, November 29, 2012
This is a good basic laptop for your basic needs. Its not a gaming laptop nor a machine that will do high end rendering for you. If you surf the web and do your office productivity tasks on it, its quite a nice machine for its price. The only drawback I have is the screen isnt the best quality but its good enough for basic use.

Also people with wifi problems have to just change the power management settings from power save to maximum performace under the advanced settings tab for wifi.

4.0 out of 5 stars This computer can fly but not with Windows 8 on it, March 9, 2013
My old netbook Samsung N120-12GW 10.1-Inch White Netbook - 6 Cell Battery was finally dying after almost 4 years of flawless service, so it was time to pick out a replacement.

I read tons of reviews and looked at dozens of netbooks until I found this little gem. Order went smoothly and it was on my front door only a couple days later.

Unboxing was easy, battery snapped on and it was loading. This is where my initial disappointment began. WINDOWS 8, what a horrid operating system, and since this is not a touch screen it felt even worse. The tiles are useless, the desktop view is like half of windows 7 without start menu etc. Wireless will intermittently disconnect every few minutes. If you are not going to downgrade this computer to windows 7 (not included) do not buy this!

To make this machine ready to rock, I ordered Corsair 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory (CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9) and Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2

Next up changed bios boot menu from UEFI boot to legacy bios and loaded windows 7 from a Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9 16GB USB 2.0 DTSE9H/16GBZ on the SSD from crucial. Google Rufus to create bootable flash disk from .iso

With windows 7 no more wireless connection interruptions and load times are great and no more unsightly tiles of windows 8.

The small annoyances that remain are :

Trackpad feels a bit weird.
Keyboard is finicky, especially spacebar.

P.S. If you want a real champ of a netbook, get Acer Aspire One 756 AO756-2617 11.6" Notebook Computer, Intel Celeron 877 1.40GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Win 7 Home Premium (Upg. to Win 8 Pro). The processor in that laptop is well worth the price difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A poor man or woman's ultrabook, June 29, 2013
I have been using this Aspire One nonstop, morning, noon, and night, for two weeks now, running Office 2010, three different browsers, Photo Gallery, Skype, and Windows Media Player. For a $300 machine, it feels remarkably substantial.

I bought it after my laptop crashed, and it works so well I'm beginning to wonder why I spent three times as much on the old laptop. As someone put it, this is a poor man's Ultrabook. It is lightweight and sleek, amazingly fast (probably thanks to the 4 gb of RAM), quiet, responsive, with a good screen resolution, and strong wireless. It's also great to have an 11.6 inch screen.

If you paid an extra $1000 you could get better speakers and an even larger screen. You'd get a faster processor too though I haven't seen any difference in speed compared to my 3 year-old laptop. There would be a cd drive also, but I rarely use one anymore. This Aspire One has taught me how easy it is to live without all those upgrades. Plus, the screen resolution is on par with my old laptop. The battery life is also the same, which is not extraordinary (maybe 3 hours). But the power cord is small and lightweight and easy to carry around.

There are great shortcuts using the function keys, including putting the computer into Airplane mode, and putting it to sleep. It wakes up much faster than my old laptop. I find the trackpad slow but I use a mouse most all the time, and I assume eventually I'll get used to it.

An extra bonus is that it uses the same power cord as another, older Aspire One I have, and it's convenient to have a second cord.

A few tips: the manual recommends fully charging the battery and then discharging it three times before using the computer. And if you want to take the battery out, you can simply use your little finger tip if you have small hands, to slide the toggle.

The biggest issue I've had with this wonderful machine is Windows 8. Since this doesn't have a touch screen, the Metro interface in Windows 8 is almost completely useless (save for the NY Times app which syncs the articles I've saved to read on my Ipod Touch.) I was less frustrated once I realized I should just ignore all of the apps in the Metro interface, including ones of familiar programs (like Internet Explorer).

I'd recommend you live in the desktop mode (windows key + D gets you there). Then download Skype and Kindle for PC to the desktop (ignoring the app versions of these that are preloaded in the Metro interface--they are much less robust versions). Also download Windows Essentials (free from Microsoft) for Windows Photo Gallery, and Windows Media Player. Download your favorite browser(s) into the desktop mode.

Next, pin the programs you use often, including Windows Explorer and Control Panel, to the desktop taskbar. (It helps to think of the taskbar like the traditional Start.) Voila, you basically have a Windows 7 ultrabook.

I'd recommend this netbook to anyone on a budget, including students, or anyone who wants a lightweight, portable backup computer for travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mini-Laptop, August 10, 2013
Firstly, I need to say this: if you have a problem with Windows 8, that is NO reason to give this laptop a bad review. If you don't like Win8, go give Win8 a bad review. (Word to the wise: there are plenty of third-party applications that give you back the Start button and make Win8 more like Win7. I recommend Start Menu 8 by IObit-it's free and works great. As far as I'm concerned, the Win8 OS is better than Win7 with it. The only issue with Start Menu 8 is if I try to shut the computer down from the Start Menu, it makes the computer freeze a lot, so I just exit Start Menu 8 by right-clicking on the Start button and use the side-bar to shut it down (this issue isn't related to this particular laptop; it's the same with my other laptop). As well, bloatware is not a valid reason for giving any computer a bad review. All computers come with bloatware, and if you can't figure out how to just uninstall all that crap and optimize the PC for your needs, then I suggest you go to the library, or if you don't like reading, check out one of about a billion resources on the web. It's not rocket science.

Anyway, as far as the actual laptop, I absolutely love it. It's the perfect size for school and mobile business uses, it comes with enough RAM for standard laptop uses (this obviously isn't a laptop for intense gaming, video editing, music recording/ editing, etc.), and so far, I haven't experienced any of the problems people described in the other reviews (yes, I read them all). It connected to my network in a snap and the connection doesn't drop, it hasn't frozen once, it hasn't loaded too slowly...nothing.

Since it was so inexpensive, I was able to use the money I would have had to spend on a more expensive mini-laptop on some extra RAM to bring it up to the full 8GB (it worked fine with 4 GB, but I highly recommend expanding the RAM for this computer).

I bought this refurbished for about $240. There's no way in Hell I would have found a better mini-laptop for that price. I recommend this all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A poor man's ultrabook, August 3, 2013
This laptop was exactly what I was looking for. Perfect form factor for me, and it's very thin. The processor and graphics chip aren't going to blow anything out of the water, but it's more than enough for documents, web browsing, video & casual gaming.

There are only two downsides to an otherwise perfect laptop.

Windows 8 - Many have said it, and it's not Acer's fault, but I simply do not care for the interface changes that were made. However,if you're so inclined (or have a techie friend) you can blast out the operating system and put on whatever you like (Win7, Linux, etc). Just switch the BIOS from UEFI (locked to Windows) to legacy BIOS and you're free to do as you please.

The Hard Drive - There is no LED for hard drive activity, which isn't really that big of a deal, but it bugs me. The drive that's built in to this thing however is sloooooooooooooow. I got a solid-state-drive on sale and swapped that out, and now this thing runs like a $700 laptop instead of a $300 laptop. Totally worth it.

Which brings me to my final point and one of the most surprising things I discovered about this laptop. Acer did a great job designing this thing and made it very very easy to upgrade the hard drive and RAM. By removing only one screw, you can remove the entire bottom panel. The 4gb included memory is on a single stick, leaving you with a free slot to add another 4gb if you like (I haven't bothered, but it's nice to have the option down the road). The hard drive lifts right out and the bracket is secured by two additional screws. Remove those, swap it out, and put the screws back & lid back on and you're done.

It's easily the most upgrade friendly laptop I've ever owned. I'm very very pleased with this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good netbook with minor annoyances listed below, February 11, 2013
Pros:
-Intel Celeron 1.1 GHz dual core
-4 GB RAM
-300 GB of storage space
-1366 x 768 resolution
-lightweight and compact
-no reason to complain about lack of power since the battery life is already down to 4 hours on idle activity (i.e. less power might be a good thing)

Cons:
-CPU does not have hyperthreading (although dual core is fine by itself..no need for a higher discharge rate in regards to the battery)
-5400 rpm HDD (probably best to upgrade to faster SSD in the long run if you're willing to pay a bit more for the speed)
-spacebar does not register hits if you press the lower edge
-overall the netbook is "different" (I elaborate below as I have never had so much trouble installing Win7/Ubuntu Linux dual boot before)

Here's a small problem and solution guide that lists out the annoyances I ran into while trying to set up Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu Linux dual boot. Btw, made an edit since I found out that I can't post links. Sorry for the confusion for anyone reading prior to the edit. I replaced the links with what you should query on Google. Should be fairly straightforward:

Instructions on creating a Windows 7 bootable USB flash drive (requires disk image):

Query string on Google search engine: "install windows 7 from usb drive" (click on first link, should be command line steps)

Problems ran into with Acer Netbook:

1) Cannot enter BIOS (when in UEFI):

Solution: Hold F2 key down (and keep it held) then press the power button

2) Motherboard does not recognize USB flash drive is inserted:

Solution: In BIOS boot settings, switch to legacy mode

3) Ubuntu installer does not see Windows partitions:

Solution: Use FixParts command line tool to delete traces of GPT data
Link:

Query string on Google search engine: "fixparts" (first link should say fixparts tutorial)

4) Ubuntu 12.04 windows aren't movable and right click does not work:

Solution: Upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10

5) After Ubuntu 12.10 installation, wireless networking stops functioning:

Solution:

$ sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

In blacklist.conf add the following two lines at the end:

blacklist wl

blacklist bcma

$ sudo vim /etc/modules

In modules add the following line to the end:

brcmsmac

Reboot the laptop

see following link for more information:

Query Google: "Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04" (pg 2 is probably the most useful)

6) On Ubuntu 12.10, brightness control does not work:

Solution:
(1) Common acer problem: Backlight control does not work out of box. I googled "acer brightness" and found this fix on the ubuntu forum (unfortunately I lost the original URL): Edit /etc/default/grub by changing

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

then sudo update-grub and reboot.

See link:

Query Google: "Acer aspire one 756 (review + tweaks)" (First link, should be similar to what I have posted above)

Somehow I still like the netbook due to its power and weight, but had to go through a lot of trouble trying to solve problems. I hope this information helps someone. If you need help with installing Windows 7 Ultimate or Ubuntu Linux, leave a comment here and I'll try to get back to you. On a side note, I do recommend users to give Windows 8 a shot. I sound like a hypocrite saying that since I went through the trouble of avoiding Windows 8, but Windows 8 offers nice features that deserve playing around with and getting used to for the sake of keeping up with modern technological advances. Hints for using Windows 8:

(1) Use the windows key shortcut to travel back and forth between desktop and whatever that other mode is called (I'll call it application panel mode)
(2) When you enter application panel mode, if you start typing, it'll automatically start a search which is convenient

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, this is much better than I expected., May 16, 2013
I actually bought this laptop to use as an Ubuntu server running Postgres and Tomcat, and it works great for that purpose. 4GB is plenty for what I need. I installed Ubuntu on a new SSHD, so incompatibility with Win8 was not an issue for me. Bootup time is lightning quick. The bottom panel slides off after removing one screw, and the harddrive can be replaced with almost no effort. The screen has a nice resolution. This is a huge upgrade from the 10" aspire one running on the Atom processor. Overall, I'm very impressed with this computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, August 29, 2013
Bought this for my college student to write and submit assignments. She loves it. Slim and light weight. Good price. Not good forany type of gaming...but web surfing and email are just fine.