5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for what it is

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Before You Go Pink
Published on February 8, 2009 by Figen

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for what it is, December 2, 2008
Buddingtwigs (Bridgewater, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AOA150-1672 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Pink (Electronics)
i am writing this review from this machine, using a wireless connection while i am on the go. it's exactly what it was meant to do. it's not for heavy computing of course, but for email, web browsing, etc, it's perfect. SO portable, comes with a little sleeve, the color is less cotton candy than i expected so i was pleasantly surprised. (i chose pink because at the time it seemed to be the one in stock at best price). keyboard slightly smaller than normal one so takes minor adjustment. no problems picking up internet, wireless and my home dsl wired connection. i haven't yet tried any spreadsheets or documents but will do. i loaded a lot of photos, some mp3's and some videos and no problem with anything. the sd card reader is also handy because i can pull the card from my cell phone or camera on the run.
if you are looking for exactly this, internet, email and basic computing on the run without having some tiny thing in the palm of your hand, but not schlepping around a heavy notebook--this is perfect for you!!! it's inexpensive and decent quality. happy with battery life so far too.
OH almost forgot, the webcam is a nice little bonus too. i'm always snapping pics with camera/phone and here's another easy way to take pics and wirelessly upload to share the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop!, December 2, 2008
Maggie113 (Northern CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I received my Acer Aspire One just about a week ago, and I'm hooked!

PROS: It really is amazing how small it is. I can fit it into my purse and I forget it's there. The battery life is very convenient (5.5 hours, so I don't have to carry cables around), and the video quality is very good. I have streamed TV episodes and watched iTunes videos, and it works great. Also, there is so much space on the hard drive that I can fill it up with music and movies with no problem. The built-in camera and mic work well with Skype. Also, just as a side note, as a woman, I am glad to finally have a feminine looking piece of electronics. The pink color is subdued and not at all inappropriate for professional use. There are other colors, though: black, brown, white, and blue.

CONS: The keyboard is quite small, so you need to have small hands. You can get used to it, though. With just a little practice, I am already typing away very quickly with only a few errors. The mouse buttons are placed on the side and are inconvenient, so I just use tapping and that takes care of that problem. The case that came with it doesn't afford much protection, but there are a few options online that can fit this model.

Overall, it is a great choice for a second laptop, and it lives up to the hype. You can't get any more mobile and affordable than this with this kind of quality and capacity. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for me, December 8, 2008
Got mine last Friday as a second laptop. Use it for 2 days, and everything is fine.

This cute little pink netbook is perfect for me.
Checking Emails, MSN, youtube, movie and music, some simple word processing( writing my final project report)...
The speaker is clear and load enough,keys are nearly full size, VGA camera works fine, as light as many of my textbooks, and even forget that it was in my purse when I was carrying it.

People may complain the screen is way too small, but I think it is enough for the aforementioned simple tasks.

The speed for web is a little bit slow, it is still bearable for me.

Never try to open a file on your USB drive directly, it took me forever to open it. The best way is to transfer to the hard drive and then open it...I don't know why

The most important thing is that it is the cutest and most lovely computer I have ever seen, and just for less then [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Before You Go Pink, February 8, 2009
If the pinkness is one of the main draws for you on this computer, you should know that the entire bottom of the outside casing is white and the power cord is black. If you have a strong sense of design, you may feel like the pink, the white and the black all add up to somewhat less than the cute little pink computer you'd been hoping for. But "cosmetics, schmosmetics" you say -- "if it's just over two pounds and does the job, what's not to love?" My unit had issues the first several times I started it up -- it would spontaneously shut itself off after a matter of seconds. Eventually that issue seemed to resolve itself but then another one emerged, which, a few minutes of Googling told me is a common problem with the Aspire: the touchpad quit responding. Apparently, some fans just accept this shortcoming and buy a mouse, but who wants to have to carry anything extra when the whole point here is to have something simple and compact? So why the generous three-star rating? I've got to give Acer the benefit of the doubt and assume that, if their computers are so popular and so well-reviewed here on Amazon, maybe I just got a lemon -- ah, wait, I think I just discovered what they use to make pink lemonade!

2.0 out of 5 stars Excited and then totally let down and dissatisfied, April 1, 2009
We were extremely excited to receive and for my wife to get going with her new computer, allowing her to be more productive and have fun with this exciting product. Everything was going very well and she quickly fell in love with her new Netbook. It had great portability and functionality and she really enjoyed working with it. Then the trouble started and we were totally dismayed with Amazon and Acer on their product support. Within 30 days the left mouse button stopped working properly and although we had an external mouse the computer had failed and was not working properly. As we looked to return it to Amazon their was no resolution, it was not eligible for return since it was used and Amazon does not have an exchange program for this item. The Amazon return policy area is extremely confusing and contradictory about returning defective items. So we turned to Acer and ran into limited customer service hours, although when I did call during the proper time we did get through without a prolonged wait. Although, it took some effort to get through the automated system and get to a representative. Now an English conversation became a challenge with a poor English speaking representative. So the repair authorization finally gets approved only to find out that we have to pay shipping to the repair depot. Less than 30 days out of the box and we are incurring expenses for a failed product and the loss of productivity and convenience because the computer is out for repair. Unfortunately, my HP Laptop had too many failures, but HP has always sent a proper box for shipping and paid shipping both ways to get it fixed. The Acer representative's repeated comment is that it is all explained in the Warranty documents, which you get after you make the purchase. A total customer service let down when we needed it most. Hopefully the repair goes quickly and is the only issue we have. You might want to consider another product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The little netbook that could... and does :), February 25, 2009
Recently there has been a small revolution in computing of sorts... the "netbook" or 'mini laptop'. What is a netbook? Well, they are tiny laptops that are in a new class of their own. Up until recently, the smallest class of laptops were defined as the "ultra-light" or "super ultra-light". These laptops usually had 12 inch screens and weighed around 3 pounds. Many of these ultra-lights did not have DVD or CD drives, but relied on "media docks" for these capabilities.

The new kids on the block "netbooks" are even smaller... having screens roughly 9 to 10 inches and weighing around 2 pounds. Many have hard drives that are flash based... also called solid state hard drives. So what has brought about this tiny revolution? Well, today's technology has finally made it possible to have tiny laptops that are powerful enough, light weight, and energy efficient enough to be practical. Also, the Intel Atom chip (which is a minuscule marvel that offers 1.6 Ghz of computing power while sipping electricity) is a big reason why these netbooks are even made possible. So as you read this review, keep in mind that these computers are not mere toys... but are in reality tiny little work horses :)

Review: The Acer Aspire One

This review is for the Acer Aspire One with 160GB hard drive, 6-cell battery, 1.6 Ghz Atom processor with 1GB of RAM, and Windows XP pre-installed. Please note that there are several different versions of this Mini-laptop. Some of them come with different hard drives (some with solid state hard drives), and some with different battery options (like a 3-cell instead of 6-cell), and different Operation Systems too (Linux lite). I picked this one because the 6-cell battery lasts 5 hours or more, it has XP included, and it comes with a 160GB hard drive. It also makes this version the most expensive... if you're wondering why there's so many different prices floating around for the same model laptop.

Well, I've had this laptop for few days now and I'm very impressed and happy with what it can do. It runs Windows XP very well and you can have several programs open at the same time... meaning that it can multi-task pretty well. It seems to have a very solid build, strong screen hinge, and a beautiful (glossy) high contrast screen. The colors are very vibrant and the black level looks great. I am surprised at how quickly it can load web pages and video from youtube... there is very little lag time. For example, if you're watching a video on youtube and you switch to full screen mode, it doesn't slow it down and switches quickly. And although one of the drawbacks of this netbook (or any netbook for that matter) is that there is no DVD or CD drive, it played DVD videos off the hard drive great and (oddly enough) comes with Win-DVD software pre-installed. One of my worries before buying this was that I thought that the screen resolution might look pixelated since the resolution is only 1024 x 600, but it actually looks very sharp. The only thing is that you do have to scroll down more often while viewing web pages than normal due to the smaller screen size. Another thing that surprised me about this laptop was that even when you use all of the USB ports (it comes with 3 total) at the same time, it doesn't slow this laptop down. I found this out when I plugged in a USB Mouse, external hard drive, and external DVD burner ... and burned a DVD using data off the external hard drive. It passed the test with flying colors and didn't skip a beat. The only major negative thing about this laptop is the design of it's mouse. Not only are the mouse buttons positioned badly on the sides of the touch sensor... but the size of the buttons are super thin and tiny. I think they could have easily improved this by at least making the mouse buttons larger. The bright side is that you can always use an external usb mouse if this is a major annoyance for you. Other than that, this laptop has surpassed all of my expectations. Here's a quick list of pros and cons:

Pros:
-Beautiful Screen with vibrant colors, high contrast ratio, and bright!
-6-cell battery is amazing (offering 5 hours or more of use)
-160GB HD, Runs XP great, good multi-tasking capabilities.
-3 USB ports, and the Multi-card reader can read new SDHC cards
-Built in mic and web camera (video from camera looks good)
-Built-in Wifi worked well for me and web pages loaded quickly.
-So portable and light... about the size of a small textbook.
-Runs quiet and doesn't get hot while running.

Cons:
-Badly placed and designed mouse buttons
-No DVD or CD drive (but no netbooks available offer one)
-Screen could be larger (an extra inch could go a long way)

Conclusion:

If you're looking for an affordable and portable laptop that has enough processing power to run most applications, this mini-laptop might do the trick for you. It is perfect for the student that is always on the go... especially considering the long battery life. It's probably not the right one for you if you run processing intensive software though... such as video editing or gaming software. Overall, the Acer Aspire is an amazing little laptop that is a wonder (even for us tech geeks) to see in action.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mighty Mite!, December 7, 2008
Great little computer. Super fast for it's size. Just the right size to take along on business trip, keeping in touch, communicating! I am very satisfied. Use it daily. Surf the net, work, does it all in a neat compact notebook! Just one drawback I have found. The battery life is only 2 hours so need to plug in if you are on it any length of time. Of course, that is no big deal. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars in love..., December 21, 2008
look, this thing doesn't have a cd/dvd-rom, but i love everything else about it. it's fast; it's super adorable. they're not lying when they say you can get 5 & 1/2 hours of battery life out of it (which was important since i have a cat that likes to eat up power cords - so i can hide the cord in the bedroom and still be able to play on my computer). it doesn't feel cheap. it's just like a full-grown laptop, just lighter and smaller. isn't that the point of a laptop?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy For What I Paid, January 7, 2009
I bought this with the idea my daughter could use it while I do online college course this coming semester, and to take with me for my in-person classes. It can be a little slow at times, (ie - I can't have 5 browser tabs open in FireFox and run a virus scanner at the same time.) The small text on screen and keyboard take a little getting used to. Unlike other reviewers I am not bothered by the fan at all. It makes a soft humming noise, but is no louder than my desktop.

If you just want a little "travel buddy" to supplement your desktop and bang around on the net a little this would fit the bill. I do keep getting questioned by Yahoo if I want to load my mail in the old version, but I select "no" and it loads up the same as it does on the desktop.

You wont use this to solve cold fusion, or draw the next Pixar movie, but you can poke around online and type papers. All-in-all a nice little student netbook.

As for me taking it to school, my daughter has completely stolen it from me! The first night we had it she asked if she could sleep with it instead of her teddy bear, lol. I am on here while she is sleeping, shhhhh...

Guess Mom will have to save up for another laptop, sigh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pre-teens, July 16, 2009
Elizabeth (Santiago Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
This mini- laptop is great for pre-teens before they ask for a bigger more powerful one. It has all the needed features of a laptop. The only set back I would say it has is ths small keyboard, for those who are used to bigger lap tops or desk tops it is a little uncomfortable until you get used to it.

Rate and Discover Movies