Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 24, 2012
If I could give this product a ZERO, I would. My "new" laptop came without a charger adapter, which made me think that it was refurbished. After contating the seller via email, I never got a response. I chatted with amazon.com and all of the contact information they had on file was non-existent. All of the numbers were busy or off the hook. Needless to say, they scheduled a UPS pick-up time for my netbook, as it is going BACK! IN addition, there is nowhere on their website to actually BUY missing pieces. If my computer actually broke, I can't imagine what getting a replacement would be like! UGH! So frustrated.
on April 24, 2012
This is a very reasonably-priced and quite robust little Notebook. The construction is surprisingly solid even though there is a lot of plastic.
Have not tested the battery longevity yet, but expect results to be similar to what others have already reported. The embedded Windows 7 starter OS is fine for casual usage, there is a good amount of disk space, and the wireless networking works well. The screen is pretty crisp and bright, the keyboard has a pretty good tactile feel to it, though it's a bit cramped for small fingers (I keep hitting the CAP LOCK by mistake). Overall, a good buy. With it, I also ordered a 2 GB memory upgrade from amazon.com (Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 Memory Module) and within minutes, had a 2 GB system up and running. Youtube contains several instruction videos on the DIMM replacement process. Contrary to what others have reported, this memory module works fine.

I did make the mistake of ordering the "SiliconTech USB 2.0 External CD DVD RW Burner Drive for Acer Aspire One, DELL..." external CD-ROM unit. It absolutely won't be recognized by this Acer or any other PC I tried it on running Windows 7. I'm going to try the "LG GP10NB20 Portable 8X Slim DVD+/-RW External Drive," which appears to be a better match.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
I purchased an Acer Aspire One. It is back for repair for the 2nd time. When it returned from the first repair (warranty hard drive replacement), it would not stay on line via WiFi (a new problem). I insisted on my money back or a replacement unit. After hours on the phone, I received what appeared to be a replacement. Hurrah! Then I was contacted by tech support telling me that I had be shipped the wrong computer & that mine was just fine when they received it. They were shipping my original unit back with the software re-installed. I tried this before I sent it for repair!! When I told them I would keep the one they sent back to me as a replacement, I was told it belonged to another customer (no files or passwords on it at all). If I tried to keep it, I was told I was a thief and that Acer would report it stolen and send the police to my door. This is a $235 unit!!!! Do not do business with this company. I have returned the unit and await the return of my broken unit. The customer service rep that called me a thief and a liar and threatened me with the police will be getting daily calls until this is resolved.
I don't know if this model is still being sold (Amazon currently lists it for $279 and out of stock). Do *not* pay $279 for this! LOL, it's outdated in many respects.

I bought mine for Black Friday 2012 (for $199), and experienced tons of problems with it, same as many others. It was super slow, it constantly froze, it constantly gave me internet connection errors. After fiddling with it, I got frustrated, and it wound up on a shelf in the back of my closet.

So I "discovered" it again a few weeks ago, decided to fix it up, and now I'm super happy with it. With a little work is can be a fast, capable, great little mobile work station! (even by 2016 standards) Here's what I did:

==========

• Mine came with 1G Ram, Windows 7 Starter, a BUNCH of bloatware, and a bad Windows install. (Why would Acer load a lean operating system, then add a bunch of bloatware?? Doesn't make sense)

• Ok so first is upgrade your RAM to 4G. It's cheap, and easy to access the bottom panel (only 3 screws). This will double your speed.

• Next, load C-Cleaner (&/or Glary Utilities) and delete ALL non-essential programs. The games, the anti-virus, everything not necessary to run Windows.

• Next, if you're still having problems, do the free upgrade to Windows 10. (Mine would run fine for a while, then freeze, or fail to connect to the net. I kept running diagnostics, and kept finding all sorts of corrupt or incomplete files. Memory was fine, hard drive was fine, but kept freezing, crashing etc. Options were, reinstall Windows 7, or free upgrade to 10).

• Rumor has it Windows may extend the free Windows 10 upgrade period. But the little Acer now runs faster than it ever did using Win 7 Starter, and instead of fixing all those corrupt files, it just installed a new OS and immediately all the bugs are fixed!

• Ok, if you're thinking about buying this netbook in 2016, I would suggest instead, first look into Chromebooks (make sure it is Android compatible!). Starting this Fall, all new Chromebooks will be able to access the Google Play Store, but currently there are only a handful (mostly Acers). Prices are under $200 for a non-touchscreen (for a full sized 15.6"!), and starting around $300 for touchscreen.

• For this netbook, in today's dollars, I would say find a used one on e*Bay for $40-$90, or hold out for a new one for $150 max. Like I said, mine is now working great...but this Intel N2600 is not a very impressive chip, and today you can find larger faster 11" or 13" Windows laptops in the low $200 range (I've seen 13.3" Windows 10 touchscreens for $279).

• Acer has an 11.6" Cloudbook with Windows 10 for $150 (Amazon #B019MJ3L78 & also #B01BTNV7NU). Cloudbook just means it has a small solid-state hard drive, they expect you to back up your stuff online (not keep a big hard drive).

• Acer also has a 11.6" conventional laptop with Windows 8.1 for $195 (Amazon #B00MNOPS1C)

• I'm not necessarily promoting Acer (I love my 15.6" Acer laptop, I never had any problems like I did with the netbook). However, for netbooks or Chromebooks, I like many other brands as well - Asus makes good netbooks, for example.

• And...before buying *any* computer or tablet, hop over to www~cpubenchmark~net, and see how the processor ranks. For the same money, you may find a different model that is significantly faster.

Good luck!
on October 18, 2012
I purchased a acer netbook earlier this year, so far, I got two times repair. I just got it back last week, and it is still not working properly. This morning, while I was working on something, the internet explorer crashed two times in 40 minutes. It did not even say what was wrong and why that happened. The two times repair was because the hard drive that damaged that I could not even open the windows( I asked the repair center, they told me that it could happen without any wrong doing). Because of that problem, I lost over two hundered pictures. And the computer would not let me reinstall my office after I got it back, it kept saying that the product key was invalid; therefore I gave to my friend to try it, he installed it without any problem. So now, I have to purchase another office. By the way, when I called the service center, they sounded like they knew nothing about fixing a computer. The last thing that I am not happy with is they give wrong information and they change their sayings. Thank God that they record all concersations everytime. Personally, I am not gonna buy Acer product anymore.
on May 24, 2012
I purchased this netbook mainly for portability reasons. The size is perfect for me, as it fits in a medium sized purse and I can use it while at work without cluttering my desk. I have no problems with the keyboard (but I have tiny hands). Occasionally there will be some websites that can't be viewed properly because the screen size is too small, but this is usually limited to online games. The speakers are good enough for listening to music at normal levels, but not blaring it.

The only time I have ever noticed any lag problem where a memory upgrade might be necessary, is if I try to load an additional tab in Firefox while the current tab is loading or when opening Microsoft Starter that comes with the netbook. It's usually not a long wait though (about one to four seconds depending on what else is running).

I think this is a great netbook. I haven't had any problems so far. It's a great size (for me), light, and the battery lasts about 8 hours on power saver, 6 hours with the balanced setting. I mainly use this for programming and internet browsing, sometimes writing. I can usually run several applications on it at once without suffering from lag.
on April 30, 2012
The main thing I can say about this netbook is that it is sluggish. It runs like it does not have enough memory. I assume the processor is not as beefed up as my other computer. I'm not a computer geek so I don't know exactly why but I most definitely would not recommend this if it's going to be your every day computer. It really is too slow. I have added no extra software programs at all and it's still very slow to perform simple tasks like opening the web browser or opening a simple file. It's a fine machine for me because its my extra computer but I would find it frustrating if this is what I had to use every day. So just be aware that you will get what you pay for in this machine.
on May 22, 2012
This netbook, like another recent electronics purchase from Amazon, was dead on arrival. The power came on but it would never boot, or at least the monitor would not work. I am not sure which. Amazon took it right back and I ordered another in black as unfortunately there were no more aquamarine in stock. This one has worked fine since I've had it. It is very light and easy to travel with which is why I purchased it. I am currently writing this review from Amman, Jordan. It has great battery life, about 8 hours of normal use.
on April 25, 2013
I bought this instead of a tablet so I could take notes in class and compile code (not easy to do on a tablet). It's ridiculously small and battery life is phenomenal. I love my blue color, and I take it anywhere I might need to do web browsing or coding in a pinch. I don't recommend you install Linux on it unless you are willing to spend time getting power options to work (I couldn't change screen brightness or go into sleep mode when closing the lid). Installing extra RAM was also difficult, and I discourage it unless necessary. It voids your warranty, and hardware "schematics" are difficult to find online. All in all a great computer for a great price, though!!
on December 13, 2012
So I got this netbook about a week ago. I've put about 8 hours so far. I bought is specifically for writing. I have a uber awesome desktop at home that runs everything. I even have it hooked up to my TV and use a wireless mouse and keyboard. Writing from the couch and not being mobile wasn't an ideal situation. So after much debate, I finally settled on this one. So far I really like it. I have small hands so the smaller keyboard doesn't bother me and allows me to type faster.

Out of the box it was very easy to setup. It looks new. It comes with a charger and the battery. So far the battery lasts as long as advertised.

I'll probably go ahead a do the 2gig ram upgrade.

If I have any problems, I'll update this review. But seems to be pretty good deal so far.