5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop for the price
I bought this laptop about a month ago (April 2009) and so far it has been a great computer.

Published on May 31, 2009 by Willy Alfaro

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad batteries
I've now owned the laptop for just under a year and the battery has now completely quit. The battery life was never very good, averaging around an hour and a half brand new, but now it only lasts 10 minutes or so on a full charge. Seems like they skimped out on the battery quality in order to bring down the price of the laptop. Believe me when I say it is worth it to pay...
Published on June 13, 2010 by strongboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop for the price, May 31, 2009
This review is from: Acer AS4530-6823 14.1-Inch Blue Laptop (Personal Computers)

This is my first ACER, I think it is worth mentioning that my HP dv6000 gave me 2 years of pain since the very first 3 months, so, after the HP did not want to turn on I was on an emergency situation. I also want to mention that I have had VAIO, Compaq and ASUS between my wife and I.
Normally I sell them used, in very good condition -excepting the last HP... I consider these brands very good, but for the sake of evaluating this device I might compare them with the performance of the other brands. For reference I paid more than $1200 for the less expensive of the brands mentioned above, and less than $550 for this one.

What I like about this ACER Aspire:
1.- The computer has a full size keyboard, so that is a good start.
2.- It does not come with lots of bundled software (normally I delete most of it anyway)
3.- It boots fairly quickly, compare to HP and VAIO more expensive laptops.
4.- The screen is clear, fairly bright, not reflective, and, to my preference, it has a 150° or so angle of view.
5.- It is fairly light weight, (actually lighter than a 14 inch HP or VAIO)
6.- It does not get hot at all, and those of you who have tried the HPs know what it feels to burn the fingers while using the mouse.
7.- The fan is low, actually so far I have not heard it yet. Now, although I keep it turned on for most of the day and part of the night, I normally don't place it over soft surfaces like beds or couches, since that covers the vents.
8.- For those of you who know about the Windows Experience Index, it scores 4.0, what is fairly fast for the price.
9.- The webcam is really sensitive to low light conditions, so you can chat with the lights off in your room and illuminate yourself with the light of the screen. Microphone is good.
10.- Speakers are loud, forget about HP or VAIO or ASUS low volume ones

What I dislike (but still acknowledge that I paid less than $550):
1.- Keyboard feels less solid than Vaio or Asus
2.- Battery life is around 2 - 2:30 hours
3.- Does not have bluetooth (I bought a little IOGear Bluetooth 2.0 USB Micro Adapter)
4.- Honestly I don't have any other dislikes so far...

So bottom line, I am very impressed with this laptop, and although hesitant at the beginning for the price "too good to be truth", I would definitely recommend this computer to anyone; it is fast, lots of memory, good ram and great video experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Solid Machine, May 29, 2009
William Corsair "Will" (Leavenworth County, KS USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine based on several criteria: 1) Light weight. It's a nice, full-featured laptop that won't cause me to drag my knuckles while carrying it. 2) Smaller size. I wasn't interested in 16:9, screaming DVD playback, etc. I was interested, again, in reasonable size and weight, not a desktop replacement like my work laptop. 3) Price. I didn't want to pay more than $500 for something that would either die or be badly out of date in a couple of years.

I like this machine. I've had numerous laptops for work from HP (and Compaq), IBM, and Dell. For the money and the features I wanted, plus the ports it has available, I'm pleased. Would I have preferred a better machine with more horsepower and bells & whistles? Sure. But I'm happy, and I'd buy it again.

My only quibbles are: 1) It's light enough (not flimsy; just light) that the bottom of the case rocks slightly when it's sitting on an absolutely flat surface. It's not a problem because the weight of my hands pins it to the work surface as I type and it doesn't rock. 2) The two-speed fan is noisy. The low speed is almost inaudible, but the high speed can get pretty annoying in a quiet environment. And, unfortunately, the high speed seems to be on quite a bit.

This is a much better product than the eMachines eMD620 that I purchased for my wife a few months back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire 4530 Laptop Is A 5 Star Winner!, May 30, 2009
Anthony (On the beach, USA) - See all my reviews
Acer has done it's homework with the Aspire AS4530 Laptop. Great value for the money! I whole heartedly recommend to anyone looking for top value for your dollar to purchase this line of laptop. Great features too numerous to mention here. You will just have to look over the spec's and see what they offer for your money! This little PC has a great video display and the wi-fi/webcam combo are next to none. This laptop is built on an extremely stable hardware system and gives a 100% stable start-up and operation every time. I would not own anything else. This affordable laptop beats out ALL THE COMPETITION.... Give yourself some happiness...give yourself this Acer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed and Space..., June 22, 2009
Carl Kohl (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Might be the best laptop under $500 you can buy. Great screen, bight and clear, sound is good enough and key board is light to the touch and comfortable.

Three gigs of ram, AMD dual core 2.0 GHz and 320 gig hard drive... Speed and space! OK, now the best part is the graphics, 256 gigs of dedicated system memory ... Windows Experience index - Desktop performance for Windows Areo is 4.0 and 3D business and gaming graphics is 4.3... Better than my desktop.

Windows Experience index

Processor - 4.8
Memory / Ram - 5.8
Desktop - Windows Areo - 4.0
3D Graphics - 4.3
Hard Disk - 5.3

Web cam is clear and sharp, works great with skype... And wireless is b,g,and n.

I couldn't be more happy with my purchase.

Update - Just got the Caselogic VLS-114 14.1-Inch Laptop Sleeve from Amazon today... The Acer fits great, has padding and is canvas like for protection and not much of increase in overall size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for Price, June 17, 2009
I picked this laptop over others because of the bang for my buck. But it is far from the best. It comes with (like every other laptop on the market) a bunch of preloaded software and trial versions. I spent two days uninstalling half of this crap. What really made me mad is that Acer has partnered up with google to help google's launch of "igoogle". It is impossible to go to the regular google website. Everytime you to [...] it will automatically direct you to the Acer/Google igoogle account. There was no way to change this other than to install another web browser, which I did. The laptop is fast, it already has 3 gigs of RAM meaning it can only take one more gig before being maxed out on a 32 bit operating system. The hard drive is already partition (for your convenience) which also made me upset since I like to partition the HDD myself. But for what you pay you get the most powerful laptop out there, trust me I looked everywhere. And don't buy a compact, their total garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent option!, June 16, 2009
I was looking for a cheap computer that had everything I wanted, well this is it!!! I think its a great option for someone who needs a laptop and that doesn't need special requirements, just the latest technology. I'm very satisfied with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid, June 27, 2009
I am very happy with this laptop. I read the others reviews about bloatware but wasnt an issue for as since I order an upgraded hard drive and installed a clean win7 image on it. Also the batter life could be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, Crappy W Vista, August 10, 2009
Lymarg (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
I like this laptop, really i do, i just have some minor complaints due Microsoft Crappy Vista and the bloatware that Acer includes in this model, but the machine overall is good and well for less than us$ 500. A lot of hard drive ( i suppose they're offering so much of it because all of the programs that comes with it), a lot of memory etc.

Well this is a good laptop, would be better if:

a) The Operating system was other that Windows Vista ( that's a crap of an OS) Vista has failed i don't know HOW many times since i bought this laptop.
b) If this model didn't bring a ton of bloatware, and when i say a ton i MEAN IT!, a lot of games and crappy programs that you won't EVER use in your life.
c) This SHOULD come with the installing cds but NOOOO Acer had the good idea to leave that to you ( I've tried to make my backup twice and burning the second cd the operation failed) --> that's worrisome.
d) I don't like the surface of the laptop, it gets a lot of fingerprints.
e) The heat can get a little uncomfortable if you have it by say ummm 2 hours on your lap.

4.0 out of 5 stars neat lil laptop for the price, September 6, 2009
had the laptop for 6 months now. Its beautiful. simple and does what i need it to do..
bad: it contains vista.
When i first got the laptop, it was shint. and blue.. and pretty.. :)
then i turn it on.. took over 15-20 mins to start up..
vista is a real chore. lots of 3rd party programs built in, that slows the machine down terribly!
but after working on it for a day or two.. removing everything and putting all that i need.. it works great.
even installed ubuntu as a 2nd OS on it.. and it works great! no compatibility issues with it as some others may have complained about on other forums.
so if u havent got lots to spend.. and u need something on the go that reliable. this ACER can do... :)
oh.. and the battery lasts about 2hrs.. with average use.. running videos.. much less.. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop - one important tip, September 8, 2009
This is a nice little laptop with plenty of spunk. Here is my biggest tip - if you plan to burn video DVDs, then please use Maxell DVDs. I tried Verbatim and TDK, neither worked. But Maxell seems to work. I suffered about a month of pain trying to get a cousin's wedding from the DV camera to a DVD - I had no idea that the problem was with the brand of DVD I was trying to burn!

As several others mentioned, I agree that the Acer software which came factory installed slows the machine down and doesn't seem to add much value.

Otherwise - highly recommended.