4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Money!
Bought this laptop to replace my MacBook (original Unibody), which breathed it's last. I needed a cheap laptop replacement in a hurry, since I'm working from home during a period of disability (knee surgery, I do software QA in the financial industry). Because of the urgent nature, I needed the cheapest laptop that would do the job.

I'm very pleased with this...
Published on July 3, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Froze after a week
Published on November 4, 2011 by Mom_of_Four

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Money!, July 3, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5750-6636 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mesh Black) (Personal Computers)

I'm very pleased with this PC...the screen is big and bright, no anomalies, the Sandy Bridge i3 is responsive, even at a relatively low clock speed, and the graphics are fine for me (I'm a casual gamer. Very, very casual). Though the machine comes with some bloatware, there's not a lot.

The keyboard is better than I expected. I do a lot of typing (and can do about 80 wpm), the keyboard is really important to me, and I never did care for the chicklet keyboard on the macbook. The Acer also has chicklet shaped keys, but they travel further than the macbook's and have a much better feel. I can go at full speed on these, no problem. Build quality seems OK. I still prefer real concave keys, but these'll do fine. BTW, there's a full numeric keypad on the right side, which doesn't matter to me but will make lots of accountants happy!

The trackpad was a real surprise...I've used lots of laptops with poor trackpads, but this isn't one of them. Very smooth and responsive, multi touch/gesture, with a separate button bar underneath (though you can customize corner taps to simulate whatever you want).

There's 3 usb-2.0 ports (one on left, 2 on right...my macbook only had 2), an hdmi port, memory card reader in front, tray loading dvd writer, hybrid audio out jack, audio input jack, and a lock port. Also an adequate video camera and built-in mike. One thing I like (as opposed to my old macbook) is that this laptop has meaningful lights on the front (battery, disk, power, network). Steve Jobs apparently didn't think I'd miss them, but it turns out I did.

Haven't pushed the battery to it's limits, Acer lists it as 4.5 hours...nothing to write home about, but OK. The case is great...it's black, but textured to be very attractive and have zero fingerprints.

No bluetooth here, by the way. I have some bluetooth accessories, but I figure I can always pop in a bluetooth USB dongle if I need. 320GB hard drive is fine (tiny bit clicky sometimes when reading/writing)and the 4Gb memory is more than enough. Both are easily replaced, if necessary.

In short, I'm really impressed with this machine for the price...I got a lot more than I expected. Quite a deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Acer, August 5, 2011
Plenty of speed with 4GB;s of ram and an i3. It's cool looking with a black textured cover and gun metal interior! Great keyboard and a touch pad with a scroll bar. I hate these laptops that make you scroll with two fingers in the center of the touch pad. Acer seems to be the only one to keep the scroll bar on the touch pad! Nice bright screen, really good surround sound, awesome price. Buy it, you'll like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great laptop, excellent value, July 27, 2011
This is a lot of laptop for the price and is a very nice machine. Looks good, works very well. Quite nice overall. I agree with the earlier review that made positive comments about the trackpad--so many at this price point are very annoying but this one is responsive and smooth.

A very good choice for an affordable laptop that is a pleasure to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, September 1, 2011
This is a quality Laptop. Nicely constructed and not on the cheap flimsy side like I feel Toshiba and ASUS are when seeing them up close. Nice glossy screen and the screen quality is very sharp and clear. Quick to boot and the battery life is acceptable. No need to worry about fingerprints too much. The keyboard is laid out nicely and the keys are big. Nice numeric pad also.The sound is adequate for this laptop and it's not bogged down with too much bloatware in my opinion. For the price you cannot beat it. Acer is a good brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the $$, September 20, 2011
Pros:
-Boot up takes ~30 seconds
-Core i3 processor has been up to all my internet and Microsoft Office tasks
-Laptop is quiet and runs cool
-Screen is bright and sharp
-HD webcam is great on Skype

Cons:
-chicklet style keyboard takes some getting used to -- not as friendly as Dell or Mac
-Plastic construction has a lot of flex

Overall, I think it's the best bang for the buck. If the keyboard was more user-friendly, I would have given it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value, August 19, 2011
Pros:
1. Only $200 more than a netbook but much faster and useful.
2. Solid construction
3. Simple, pleasant, elegant design.
4. The lid does not scratch easily.
5. Keyboard has pretty good tactile feedback.
6. About 5 hours of battery life.

Cons:
1. Some surface is glossy and retains fingerprints.
2. The screen is glossy and reflects light.

The screen and speakers are not very high quality, but you get what you pay for. For such a low price it is already a very good deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, August 22, 2011
I purchased this laptop as a desktop replacement after my beloved gaming PC died. I wasn't looking to spend more than the $400 it would have cost to repair the desktop. With the Amazon Visa discount, this laptop cost me well below that amount. I'm very, very pleased with the size and brightness of the screen. I love that the keyboard features completely separated keys (like on a Mac) and there is a full number pad - something that is hard to find on a laptop that isn't gigantic. Several programs came pre-isntalled and setting up Office 2010 was a breeze. The only thing I didn't like was some of the retail software being preinstalled (for backups, clean up, etc.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but solid, September 24, 2011
I bought this at Fry's for $350. I needed an inexpensive laptop for internet and remote-desktop, but with the most up-to-date components. This one fits the bill: 2nd generation i3-2310M, HDMI, USB 3.0, and 1.2MP webcam. The display is large enough to do work. The built-in Intel graphic might not be sufficient for demanding games or Photoshop, but I've read that it's much faster than previous generation's built-in graphic. The look is basic but modern; it doesn't feel cheap at all. It's also rather thin and light.

One missing option is the Intel WiDi for streaming video wirelessly to the TV (via an adapter box). At first I didn't care for it since it already has HDMI. But after connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI and seeing how good the video looks on the large screen, I began to appreciate the convenience of doing so wirelessly. The laptop doesn't have this feature because it uses the Broadcom Wifi card. So I went ahead and ordered an Intel Centrino 6230 for $25 which adds not only WiDi but dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth. The total cost still comes out cheaper than most other laptops.

One disklike is the position of the touchpad. It's about half an inch too close to the left. This leaves too little room to rest the left palm. I don't have large hands, but still, my left palm now tends to touch the pad's left edge, causing the touchpad to interpret it as multi-touch actions like zooms. Acer should eliminate the numeric pad and center the keyboard and touchpad.

The 320GB HD might be small for some people who have a lot of video and audio. But you can always replace it later.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop review, September 13, 2011
The recently purchased Acer AS5750-6636 is exactly what I wanted it to be: quick, clear, and convenient. The keyboard takes some getting used to; it is very sensitive. The touch pad scroll is very easy to use and also very touch sensitive. Picture quality is excellent. Good bang for the buck from what I've seen offered both on-line and local advertisements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Froze after a week, November 4, 2011
This was my first laptop - I researched for a very long time and finally settled on this one. Within a couple of days, it froze and would not start up. When I came back to it later that afternoon, it started up like nothing ever had been wrong. Thinking it was a fluke, we went on a couple more days and then the same thing happened. At that point, I wasn't able to boot it up and have any kinds of prompts or welcome screen. I tried all that Acer support had suggested and thought that I shouldn't be spending this much time on a new laptop, so I sent it back. I am a little hesitant to order it again, but keep reading good things about Acer, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I will say, though, that I was able to return this item with absolutely no problem from Amazon. I will be ordering another laptop and will definitely buy again from them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›