5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless problem out-of-box

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless does not work out of the box
Published on November 25, 2012 by Josh OSullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless problem out-of-box, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Two hours ago, I just received a great little computer thru UPS to replace my aging Acer laptop. I quickly hooked it up and discovered problems with the wireless. On further investigation, I discovered that the Wireless Antennae sockets were loose - one was so bad that the antennae was non-functional and flopping around! Well here's the good news. I called Amazon and explained the problem and a very nice Customer Service lady called ISLA I think, quickly issued me return labels and re-ordered a new Acer computer to be delivered in 2 days!! That's why I admire Amazon and will always continue to buy huge amounts of all products from them. 99% of the shipments are fine, but in the 1% where there is a problem, Amazon will do the honorable thing and delight the customer. Now having used it for 2 weeks, I find it very fast and powerful. The only challenge initially was to learn to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Why did Microsoft make it so difficult to find the Start menu? Bottom line: GREAT LITTLE COMPUTER AT A GOOD PRICE! BUY IT!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wireless does not work out of the box, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I recently purchased the Acer AXC-600 (commonly referred to on other sites as DT.SLJAA.002) from Amazon during one of their Black Friday sales. It met my requirements and was a great deal, however, there were limited details. It ships with a Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless NIC. I am not clear if this is a challenge with Windows 8 or this particular Wireless NIC, but when you first initialize the PC the Wireless NIC does not work with the correct wireless network key. It will find local wireless networks just fine; however, when you put in the appropriate key for your network, it will report it as the wrong one. I initially thought it was a driver issue and spent a little while finding the appropriate driver and it was current. I was able to fix the problem, by running a (very long) Ethernet cable to it from my router and having it do a Windows Update and restart (kind of funny that the newest version of Windows still likes to restart). I hope someone else reads this and avoids the couple of hours of retyping the correct key and running back and forth trying to troubleshoot. Now that it has been online for a couple of hours, my wife is very happy and learning about all of Microsoft's other new "features."

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price., November 30, 2012
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Amazon gave a pretty good Black Friday(actually Thursday, I think) deal on this and it had most of the specs I was looking for. I had some Amazon credits, so it cost me $368 to my front door. For as new of an offering as it is, I expected USB 3.0 ports, but I'm sure I can live without those. No problems hooking it up or getting it to connect to my NetGear wireless router. I expected a basic version of Microsoft Office, but I sure can't find it, just a link to register a full Office version, needing the key code for that. No such key code came with this computer, so I downloaded Open Office and will make-do with that, I guess. I uninstalled most of the apps on the start page and just go straight to the desktop and work off the icons I placed there. This way there's not a lot of difference in how Windows 8 works when compared to 7 or XP. No issues in hooking up my HP printer/scanner. I would have given it 5 stars if it had some version of Office I could use. Having had nothing but HP or Compaq over the years, the only concern will be long term reliability from Acer. I do have a Gateway laptop, which is made by Acer. I've had it a bit over 3 years and it's had no issues, so I expect the same from this desktop. ADDED 12-11-2012. Although the driver for my HP printer was already loaded in the computer, I did have to go to HP's website and download the driver for the scanner function. No big deal. If I could figure out how to do it, I'm sure anybody can.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Hate Windows 8 But the PC is Great, December 24, 2012
Jon Shaver (Frisco, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Great computer, does what it should. I truly cannot see what Microsoft sees as the value adding features of Windows 8 over Windows 7. The interface is awkward, non-intuitive and cumbersome. Oh, but this is a review of the computer, right? The computer itself is well built, well configured and does its job just fine--the 4 instead of 5 star rating is a result of what will be another Microsoft Windows flop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice pc, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Small form factor. Lots of features works great for the price. I got it for use in a homeless shelter.

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
VERY HAPPY WITH THIS DESKTOP ... VERY HAPPY, I LOVE IT!
I VERY HIGH RECOMEND IT .... LOVE THE WINDOWS 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I have only been up and running for couple of days, but I am getting a lot of work at home done, while still getting a entertainment value. Fits well in workplace desk. May have to buy more for the children. Keyboard is easy to manage with large font on keys. Rearrange the tiles on start screen to place your most popular choices on first page. Interface seems very user friendly as it nearly mirrors the phones and tablets of today. The sound through the speakers which I attached is really good. The ease of plug and play devices is outstanding either with usb or the card reader. I bought dvd's for backup, however the best device is a 16gb or larger flashdrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good computer for the price., February 21, 2013
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
At the beginning I was frustrated with Windows 8. I borrowed a WINDOWS 8 book from the library and started to expolre it. I am getting used to Windows 8 now, but it is still a lot to learn. I don't have the internet connection yet. A lot of the features require you to connect to internet. You have to activate WINDOWS 8. There are 5 to 6 data blocks and you have to enter the data, then they gave you the corrsponding data to enter. I guess WINDOW 8 resides in the computer and you have to get authoriziation to get the full WINDOWs 8 function. I am having the problem of working with my old HP PSC 2355 xi all-in-one printer. WINDOWS 8 does not have the driver. I have the HP driver CD, but half way of the installation it stopped. The CD is good for WINDOWS 98, Me, 2000 and XP. I tried to down load the WINDOWS 8 driver from HP, but it needs internet connection, no option of load it on CD.

It works well with my new ASUS VE228H 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED monitor. The picture is beautiful. I have HDMI connection. I wired the audio input connection and it's a mistake. After I disconnected the audio connection the audio is working.

The Windows Media Player does not get the audio CD album picture, album name and sound track information. My other WINDOWS XP media player will display the audio CD information. This is not the problem of the computer. It's WINDOWS.

One thing to complain is the ACER instruction manual is very basic, not very helpful. Even you search Acer web site the information is very limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast machine, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I was impressed with this system for the money. After I adjusted the temp swap file size which I still had to do even with win8, it flew along. Win 8 is ok but confusing. I set this up for an older woman used to XP so I got the stardock theme that emulates win 7 and no problems!!! Machine case is pretty small which for her was a benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm no techie, but this small tower exceeds my expectations!, June 1, 2013
This review is from: Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
This purchase was replacing a much older HP. My requirements were: built in WI-FI, Intel core i3 or better, energy star, not refurbished, all the required hookups for HD viewing, and CD-WR. Got it all in a nice small foot print. It came with Windows 8, which I am SLOWLY getting use to. I shopped around a long time, got this at a fantastic price, no regrets. It has been reliable,
fast and looks good. I did not use the keyboard and mouse it came with, had my own wireless. I seamlessly connected with my
HD Wi-Fi and wireless printer, and like I said, I'm no techie.

Acer AXC600-UR318 Desktop (Black)
Out of stock