on December 1, 2009
Great Price but word to the wise. Laptops do not come with restore disks these days and I have found that the restore on the physical laptop itself corrupts and typically user cannot restore original factory image. While trying to create a restore disk with Acer's software I got errors and was unable to burn a restore disk. I called Acer and they will be sending me a free restore disk. The error was 0x207. If the computer crashes and you do not have a restore disk you will be down and then have to pay big bucks Acer's technical support, so try burning a restore disk right away and if you can't call Acer right away. After the 90 day software warranty, you will have to pay by credit card for support.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2010
The Good: For the money, it's decent spec: Dual core CPU, 3 Gig Ram, 320Gig hard drive. It runs fairly well.

The Bad: No microphone, very weak speakers, only 2 USB cards

I originally bought a high end system that kept getting delayed delivery, so I figured I get this system on the low end to get me by for a year or so. It should make a decent "travel+school" computer since if it gets lost, damaged, stolen, I have under $400 invested.

Recommendation: Get this is you need for school and basic office work stuff. Should be okay for some games. DO NOT get this system if you are huge multi-tasker or bigtime gamer.
on January 28, 2010
My husband bought himself and I this laptop during Black Friday 2009. It is almost February so we haven't had them that long. My husband waited until Christmas to use his as a Christmas present and mine was for my Birthday in November. After opening his, within a week his laptop began shutting off after 5 minutes on the battery. No warnings or anything. He reformatted the computer but to no avail it still didn't work.

The customer service was awful trying to work with. My husband knows more about computers than a lot of people with Computer Science degrees. He's one of those computer geeks who takes computers apart, builds his own, writes his own codes etc; so he knows what he's doing... The customer service kept repeating the usual steps on what he must be doing wrong and not listening to him. He got no where with customer service. So it's going to have to be shipped out to the manufacturer to get fixed. More than likely it's the battery.. That is typical of an electronic device. They all have their little kinks..BUT just within the last week now my laptop has messed up.

I have been using it from day one after Thanksgiving and all of a sudden one day the mouse pad locked up and stopped working. My husband checked for viruses and reformatted mine too. Now mine is getting shipped out as well! Even though these are minor breaks this to me shows you the cheapness in making this model. These are petty breaks that should have been worked out before sent out for consumer purchases.

If anyone is considering buying this computer I would recommend saving your money. They may be small breaks but this is really annoying to deal with and I will definitely not be buying anymore Acer laptops. This was my first purchase with them too. I've used Dell and Gateway and have not had any trouble with them. I doubt this laptop will last more than a couple years the rate they're going right now for us. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe after all the kinks are out it'll work great. But like I said in the title, you get what you pay for!

ATTENTION:
Okay, my husband finally found someone to help us from Acer... He was not customer service(they all were foreign and hard to understand). The guy told us there is a button on the left next to the power button on the laptop that turns your touch pad off. If you didn't read the directions you wouldn't know this. So at least just one of our laptops is messed up and the guy said that just to call customer service and they will send you a new battery without you shipping your whole computer out.
on April 18, 2015
I was 12 years old when I first recieved this laptop as a Christmas present in 2009. I got the 1208 configuration (webcam, AMD L310 chipset, Windows 7, 4GB RAM) and used it for surfing the web, email, music, pictures, schoolwork, and it did a pretty good job for the first 2 1/2 years. Around mid-2012 was when it slowly started chugging, the weak little processor would be overwhelmed by the increasingly large programs and everything else overall, but it was still pretty tolerable throughout 2012 and most of 2013. Late 2013 was when it was really starting to show its age, everything accept my school work became nearly unbearable to use, and I decided to buy a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet as a stopgap until I could get a new laptop, though I was still hoping she could make it to mid-2015 before she would be retired. Well, that turned out to be wishful thinking, because then the monitor went out and while I thought it was a simple chip that tends to go out in other Acer laptops, it was actually the connection between the monitor and the motherboard that somehow disintegrated, so I would have to use an external monitor in order to do my work. Now realizing that she wasn't going to make it another year and that I would have to get a new laptop after my last semester ended before the summer, on May 31st 2014, it's successor arrived, a brand new, top-of-the-line Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, which made me realize just how far we had come in the world of laptop computing from late 2009 to mid-2014. As I write this, my old friend is stored in a box in the closet, barely working, some would say gone, but never forgotten.
on March 2, 2010
Briefly, great laptop for the money. Few weak points however, but in my case, minor incoveniences, nothing more. I would recommend this product to my friends.

There is little to say about the price. A great deal for sure. The computer works well and for what I need, it does a good job. Now I am no gamer and can't speak for that.

On the downsides: the speakers are definitely weak and the quality of sound not great (but if you have headphones, then it's great). I also dislike the fact that there are no microphones or webcam integrated. Only 2 USB ports and no HDMI (but for the money you can't ask for that, since HDMI are interesting only if you have a BlueRay, which this laptop doesn't have). The wireless card seems a bit light and if you have a big house and many walls between your laptop and your wireless transmitter then you may have some issues with the signal.

Stuff that is not specific to this laptop: I hate the reflective screen, but now it seems impossible to find a cheap laptop with matte screen so it is not particular to this laptop. I also hate all the bloatware, so the first thing I did was to create recovery disks and then I wiped out the Hard drive and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7, along with appropriate drivers available from Acer's website.
on December 12, 2009
Bought laptop as floor demo model, thus cheap. Works well so far. Fast and good screen. However, it is limited in its use for multiple activities at once (multitasking). While I can listen to mp3 audio while I work on something, video and other things are a no no, especially web based like Hulu, youtube, netflix, etc. Not that it won't play well, but you don't want to do many other things. Due no doubt to its single processor.

So, I recommend this for anyone who needs a reliable fast general purpose (non-gaming or multitasking) budget laptop. Example, I can run Ubuntu in a VirtualBox VM, but as soon as I start opening browser tabs and Windows Media Player, browse the file system, it starts slowing down. Unfortunately, most computers are similar, so why pay more?

Good for college kids. Fast but not too fast, so they get into less trouble. (joke).
on August 31, 2014
I bought an Acer laptop about 4 years ago. I didn't write a review then because it didn't cross my mind to do so. However, now that is beginning to show signs of wear and tear, and will soon need to be replaced, I thought I would share my experience with it. Over the past 4 years I have used it almost daily. I am a writer and my laptop is in use for up to 6 hours a day. When I am not writing, I am using it for downloading and editing my photos. I have literally downloaded and edited thousands of photos using this laptop.

This brand is inexpensive and has been well worth the money I spent on it. I will be sorry to see it go, but all good things must come to an end.
on June 8, 2010
Bought from Bestbuy, 329$ or so.

The good:

The screen is clear and bright, and the keyboard layout is very good. Keytravel is tolerable, but not great. Sound quality lacks but who doesn't use headphones with a laptop? DVDR and digital media drive. I don't like integrated webcams. (did no one read 1984?) It runs fairly cool compared to other laptops I've used.

Windows never even booted on my machine. I installed slackware 13 on the first boot.

X-windows (xorg) displays at factory resolution out of the box. Slackware 13 sees the integrated WiFi driver out of the box, which means most other linux distros should too. (not so with the copper network interface) Linux also sees the DVDR out of the box.

Decent support if you can find the phone number... I remember that was hunt the first time around, and rather irritated me. Acer doesn't seem too interested in taking responsibility for their products, but once you get a hold of them, they sort it out in a fairly prompt way.

battery life is acceptable. Break your batteries in properly, and you will generally do ok.

Size is just right. 1366x768 screen give a lot of visual real estate, and fits over a full keyboard well, while still being small enough to work from in coach.

The bad:

DVD drive was misaligned out of the box and vibrated badly. Motherboard was toast within six hours of turning it on. Sent it back to Acer, they returned it with the DVD drive and the motherboard fixed. This procedure was fairly painless. 6 months later, the motherboard fritzed again. I think there is an issue with the radeon 3200 in this thing. It failed this time and I discovered that it will not display in it's native resolution, but other resolutions do work. So at least I can recover the hard drive.

Low bus speed. I forget exactly, but I think the bus on this thing is clocked at 333, which is pretty antiquated. I knew this when I bought it though, linux blazes on it anyway, as expected.

The integrated Atheros ethernet chipset does NOT have a servicable linux driver at the time of this review. I was really miffed about that. Seriously? What network chipset vendor doesn't release driver sourcecode these days? This is an oversight by AMD, Acer, and Atheros.

Now that I'm shopping for a replacement for this notebook I've noticed this atheros ethernet chipset is in broad use. IT SHOULD BE AVOIDED, by anyone looking to run linux, and IMHO by anyone else too. Based on what I've read, there seems to by some funky bios hooks associated with Atheros chips which suggests at least to me, that proprieterization could be an issue.

No legacy ports. I would have liked a 9 pin serial. Only 2 USB ports, one of which is sacraficed on the alter of Atheros.

I really like this notebook when it works, which isn't often enough to keep it.
on January 6, 2010
The speakers on here are horrible. When trying to watch an online video I have to put my ear on the speaker. No joke. I supposed you get what you pay for, but geez. Everything else was great so this really spoiled it for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2010
(This review is written by Sherrie's husband)
Bought acer laptop new in may 2010, crashed 6 weeks later. Sent to their repair facility at shipping and packing cost of $38. Got back week and a half later, used 3 days, crashed again. Sent back to Acer at their cost. Came back 3 days later, said was checked and it was working properly(?!?). Used 2 days, again crashed, keeps shutting down with blue screen "page fault" and "beginning memory dump", IE kept shutting off also.
Called Acer to request refund, was told to ask Office Depot for a refund! Stores don't warranty computers, manufacturers do. Was told a refund was not possible because "this was a repair" Yeah, a repair from an original problem that was not fixed, therefore not a "repair" issue.
Sent e-mail advising I would take only a refund (less than $400). Went up chain of command, told no refund.
Lousy computer, defective, lousy company, care nothing about their customers or their reputation.
Avoid these laptops at all cost.

See 1 answered question