HTL Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on

on May 3, 2012
I bought this because I had a three-year-old Toshiba 13.3 inch laptop with a Pentium u 4100 processor that had a loud fan which was annoying. I had a very low budget, but needed a machine that could replace my regular laptop. For me, this meant:

- Fast web surfing with acceptable scrolling speed and smoothness.
- Flawless video on Hulu at 420p resolution and for downloaded video (I don't have a TV)
- Great keyboard, fast response times for typing.

I had tried a netbook three years ago and found the video capabilities lacking, and had returned it. In 2012 I figured that in the three years since I bought my Toshiba, AMD processors in this price range would probably have caught up with that older Pentium processor in terms of speed. I was almost right. I didn't look at the benchmarks for these processors available online, but the old u4100 is still just a little faster than this AMD C60. Other aspects of the Acer make it a better computing experience, though, and so, for me, a good buy.

When I got the Acer, I was immediately impressed with sturdy construction of the laptop and smooth movement of the screen. The screen is movable back until it is nearly flat with the keyboard part of the laptop, which is useful when using this laptop as I mostly use it, which is sitting on the couch. With your legs up on for example an ottoman, you can put the keyboard part against your lap and push the monitor far back and type very comfortably, or watch video with the display at a more comfortable height than was available for me on my previous laptops.

The keyboard is the best I've had on a computer. I had thought previously that my Toshiba was the best, but now, when I return to that computer, I notice that the Acer has a more satisfying firmness than that computer had.

If you haven't had an LED screen before, like me, you will be amazed by the monitor. It took me a while to get used to how good it is. Photos have a certain realism because of the better contrast (and maybe other factors) than CCFL LCD monitors. Colors look great. For the first few days, I was annoyed by what I thought was a kind of texture I was able to see in the monitor, which was like seeing the lines of pixels more distinctly than on my other computer, but I no longer notice this and I think it was just a matter of switching laptops.

Even though the processor is slower than my old computer's, there is a certain fastness in moving around in windows that is slightly better. Here are the details for the Acer:
- Scrolling on some web pages like Wikipedia pages and amazon product pages can be utterly smooth, like you get on an expensive machine like a mac. More cluttered pages are jumpy scrolling, but for me, and for this price range, I think, acceptable. I find that I can manage these pages better sometimes by using the pg up and pg dn buttons. The response to a quick bunch of presses of the pg dn button is not absolutely instant, but is something I can get used to.
- Scrolling in Word is smooth.
- Switching between programs and windows is instant/extremely fast.
- Typing response in Word (and for this review) is pleasingly fast. The computer has a reliably instant connection between pressing the keys on the keyboard and the characters appearing on the screen. (Better than my Toshiba).

The video performance was the only disappointment, and is the only reason I give this laptop four instead of five stars. Playing video on Hulu in 480p full screen, this laptop delivers a reliably watchable video, but it is not absolutely smooth. It goes usually a little while without dropping any frames at all, and in scenes of conversations where the camera stays put, you will get the feeling that the video is flawless. But when the camera pans across a scene, there will be dropped frames. I almost returned the laptop for this reason, but after watching a few shows on hulu, I concluded that the playback is reliably watchable, and the amazing quality of the images on the LED monitor makes up for the occasional jumpiness. The hulu performance does not have to do with download problems, since it happens when the buffer is full, but for whatever reason, downloaded movies perform better than hulu. For the perfectionist, I think even downloaded movies are still not absolutely smooth, but they are very close (not dropping five frames at once).

Overall, my impression is that the Acer is an accomplishment for this price range and well worth the money.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
If you need to see more opinions, just check the AO722-0473. This is really the same except the 0473 has 2 Gig of ram and the 0825 has 4 Gig. Either way, you cannot go wrong with this Acer series. Maybe not as flashy as a pricey tablet but much more practical considering the price.
-memory card reader
-HDMI & VGA outputs
-3 USB
-320 Gig hard drive
-Win7 Premium
-5+ hour battery
-MS Word & Excel Starter (free)
-1366 x 768 res (same as most 15" laptops)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2012
This is a really small computer but it does pack a punch. I have only had it for a few months, so it may just be the new pc standard, but the computer does not heat up, and does not freeze. I use primarily for internet access and video streaming, and the hdmi input helps. For a "netbook," this has a decent hardrive, great processor and nice memory. Would definitely recommend.
on February 9, 2012
Love it love it love it. Fastest laptop I've owned, and reasonably priced. Love the HDMI output, I can plug it directly into my flat-screen TV and watch Netflix, or just work with a huge monitor. Also, this computer does NOT GET HOT. I've never experienced a laptop that runs as cool as this. After ten hours straight of watching movies on it, the bottom is barely warm. Fan is quiet, processor is fast, screen looks great, and has long battery life. I own it and I love it.

Michael W. Dean
Freedom Feens
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2012
Bought this Acer Inspire One 722-0825 about a month ago and really pleased with purchase. The keys are full size despite the 11 inch width. It is so light weight I forgot it was in my briefcase this week.

I do reporting on the military and college sports. The 722 fits easily in my camera backpack so I don't have to carry a second bag for a larger and heavier PC. Last month I was out with the Navy for three days on the USS Wasp and downloaded my photos to the 722 each night and started to type up my notes. Yesterday I listened to and edited my radio interviews while a passenger in a car driving to a fnmily event.

The capacity of the 722 is five times my old PC and the speed is fine. Touchpad takes a bit of getting used to. For taking on the road to work in sometimes tight spaces, this 11 inch laptop is amazing.
on April 4, 2012
I was first hoping to get a tablet, but ended up deciding on this. I am so glad I did. It is fully loaded and really lightweight. It has the latest operating system, so unlike a tablet, you can do everything you would do on a regular desktop pc. The only thing is, you would need an external usb cd/dvd drive if you are going to be using cds. Other than that, this is really an amazing pc for the price.
on May 21, 2012
Non-tech geek review: If you want to use this as a netbook, then I think this probably is a good way to go. Comparing price and specs, you seem to get the most bang for your buck with netbook compared to others. So if you'll be doing casual web browsing, watching videos, typing Word docs, I think you're fine. If you plan on doing a lot of multi-tasking or having many browsing tabs open, you should buy a full computer with a faster processor. I do have a colleague who uses one of these as her work laptop, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. Then again, all she does is email, read web pages and type Word docs for work. I am a little disappointed that the 1 ghz processor (not fast) has to manage a full version of Windows 7. I would've liked to see a striped down version of Windows 7 that could run faster. Turning on/awake is a little slow for my liking and you can't push this laptop to do too much without expect it to get caught up. Streaming full screen video, even on the lower quality resolutions, is choppy. It just can't handle full-screen YouTube. But I think a lot of people will be happy to get a real copy of Windows 7 and find this netbook's specs meets their basic needs.

Tech-geek review: I used to own a Dell Mini 9 which had only 1GB of RAM and an 8GB SSD, but was only $199 and an incredible value. It eventually just needed to be replaced. I wanted another miniature-sized netbook because they are a lot easier to move around and use on the couch/bed than a normal laptop. I thought for sure buying a netbook with 4GB of RAM would be enough. Turns out the 1 ghz processor speed (same as my Dell Mini 9) and hard disk drives are sort of bottlenecks when you're running Windows 7. My Dell Mini 9 came with Linux's Ubuntu, which just seems to run faster. For a netbook, Windows 7 almost seems unnecessary. I would've loved an option of buying this Acer with Ubuntu, which is easy enough to use for the average Windows 7 and essentially free, but more limited in its use for typical users. Even though this computer has better specs than my Dell Mini, it feels slower -- chalk it up to the modern demands on websites on computers, SSD vs. HDD or Linux vs. Ubuntu, but I was hoping this would run more smoothly. Still, it's a decent computer and I can't complain since I don't think there is anything with as good of specs for as low a price right now. (The Dell Mini line has been discontinued, unfortunately.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
This is a good machine. I've had it a couple weeks now and no problems. I think the interet web searching could be a bit smoother though, but I'm still playing with settings. Even if I can't get it any better, I'm not complaining. I got this new for under $300.00 and it's what I expect - a solid, quality product that performs on par with, and probably better, than comparable systems at around the same price point or slightly higher. It fits my needs.

you can always pay more and get something "better," but it depends on your needs. For travel and convenience, this thing can't be beat. I thought about a tablet but I need the keyboard as I do a lot of writing. I also wanted full Word and PP compatibility. I didn't want a 10" screen; the extra 1.5" in diameter makes a world of difference.

Remember, think hard about what you want before making a purchase. For me, this was just right.

I AM having trouble, though, figuring out if I can add extra memory. I can't find a clear answer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, and enjoy this product. It is a good one.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2012
This not only meets but exceeds all my expectations.

It has everything I want in a netbook (small form factor, long battery life) along with a powerful processor, lots of RAM (4GB), a graphics processor (so I can stream all my videos), lots of hard drive space (320 GB).

Its super fast, It does all I need it to do. I dont even view it as a netbook, because of the great performance.

This is a good buy.

Get it while you can.
on June 7, 2012
I needed a portable solution for Astrophotography. Acer is a brand that I have purchased previously with two different laptops, one of which has been running strong for 6 years now with no issues ever. This netbook really delivers for my needs. With its built in Radeon 256mb graphics, 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive, I was pretty sure I had my bases covered. The dual core processor is powerful in netbook standards and while not the fastest available, it delivers well for all my applications. The added extra USB ports, mini HDMI, VGA out, plus multi-reader are just the ticket for peripherals and connectivity. Nothing to dislike about the netbook and packaging. Has a nice look and the HD display is comparable to my iPad 2 and Transformer tablet displays. I would highly recommend this for a portable powerhouse with good battery life.