4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Machine
Sold as an "appliance," the built-in Linpus user interface and applications are fine for the casual netbook user, supporting basic web surfing, e-mail, Open Office, photos, and MP3 music files. At 1kg, the Aspire One is a delight to carry around; much less of a burden than a full size laptop.

However, for the person willing to learn new things, the Linux...
Published on January 28, 2009 by Selden Deemer

2.0 out of 5 stars Linux and Acer are a problem
I bought this Aspire One with Linux and I certainly regret it. Acer product support has been abysmal.

The mouse pad is way too fast and cannot be slowed down in Linux.
I have not been able to install any software on it.
There are no printer drivers for my HP networked all in one.
I tried a Canon i60 printer connected directly to the USB port but...
Published on April 28, 2009 by Ron

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Machine, January 28, 2009
Selden Deemer (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AOA110-1831 8.9-Inch Netbook - White (Personal Computers)

However, for the person willing to learn new things, the Linux version of the Acer Aspire One is very rewarding. As delivered, Acer has locked things down very tightly, but a good support community exists on the web, and will provide tips for how to get under the hood and start tweaking things. Essential among the free offerings from the support community is a free backup program which makes a full backup to a USB flash drive.

With the solid state disk drive (SSD), the Aspire One should be pretty much bullet proof, and Acer has included a nifty feature that lets you expand disk capacity easily: The left SD card slot is treated as part of the built-in disk storage; just stick in an SD card and you instantly add to available disk space.

Battery life with the 3-cell battery is only so-so; consider springing for a 6, or even a 9-cell battery pack if you don't want to be tethered to a power outlet. The only real fault of the Aspire One is a small, twitchy trackpad with odd vertical buttons on either side. One gets used to it, but a USB mouse is another essential option. Every mouse I have tried worked without any configuration.

WiFi connectivity has been excellent. The built-in 0.3 mpx camera is so-so (frame rate seems very low). Tiny speakers are tinny, but output to earphones is actually quite good. The keyboard is about 85% of "standard" size, and doesn't require much adjustment. I was surprised that Linux automatically recognizes shared printers through my iMac -- this required no configuration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. The Solid State Drive is Fast, January 29, 2009
Fisherman Tom (Fort Lauderdale/Lake Mary FL USA) - See all my reviews
Purchased on 12/29 been using it ever since. Have reviewed other similar models but this was best bang for the buck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Portable Laptop for the Impoverished Masses, February 21, 2009
Cyberlaw Prof (OH United States) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this Linux-based mini-laptop for $260 ($259.99, to be exact), and I put it through its paces today. It would be an amazing machine at twice the price.

It has a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, 1 Gb of RAM, 8 Gb of indestructible (and non-crashable) flash memory, and a wireless card that is easy to set up. Establishing a secure connection to my five-year-old (and probably obsolete!) Linksys wireless router took about ten minutes.

You can buy plug-in cards that expand the flash storage transparently. The operating system makes the cards look like an extension of the internal storage (i.e., the flash memory, which takes the place of a hard drive). If you like privacy, you can store data securely on these cards and keep them separate from the computer. You can also use thumb drives in up to three USB 2.0 ports.

The operating system is a simplified version of Linux. The graphical user interface isn't as pretty as Apple's or Microsoft's latest, but it's simple and intuitive and works well.

The O/S settings are clear, intuitive and easy to use. The maker has given some thought to what people actually do in setting up and using computers and how to make that job simpler. Putting the machine to sleep and waking it up, for example, require just combining the Fn key with the F4 key, which is also marked "Zz" for sleep. The wireless card has a convenient on-off toggle switch at the front of the keyboard, and clickable icons for battery, wireless, language, machine status and date and time stay at the bottom of the screen.

The machine comes packed with a Firefox browser, an e-mail client, lots of media and fun software, and a complete open-office productivity suite. It took a few minutes to transfer my bookmarks from Safari, but then I was off and running.

The office software easily opened M/S Word (.doc) and PowerPoint (.ppt) files. Its save function promised conversion back to several different .doc formats, but not .docx (M/S's latest attempt to make the world dance to its tune, aka "Vista"). I haven't tested the spreadsheet program but assume it can read and write Excel files similarly, although maybe not M/S's latest incompatible offering.

The word processor had intuitive, simple and expected commands for basic select, cut and paste functions, as well as italics (Ctrl-i) and boldface (Ctrl-b). All the software seemed straightforward, intuitive, and easy to learn.

I've discovered only two downsides so far. Although well-lit and with good resolution, the screen is small and requires scrolling. And the touchpad is a bit touchy, with mouse clickers located inconveniently at the two sides, rather than the bottom (the usual place). I'll probably take one of our marvelous Logitech Marble (stationary) mice along with the notebook when I travel.

In addition to three USB 2.0 ports, the machine has an Ethernet port, a VGA port for an external screen, a port for memory cards (including camera types), and the usual connections for external mikes and earphones. (It also has a Webcam, but I didn't try it, and its resolution is reportedly low.) It has no optical drive, but you can get whatever you want in and out through the wireless connection, the Ethernet port or the three USB Ports---with a thumb drive, for example.

At less than two pounds with battery (which lasts two hours) the machine is perfect for travel. It's small and light enough to carry comfortably, without any fear of dropping it, in one hand. It should fit easily in a medium-to-large size ladies' handbag but probably not an evening purse.

The notebook has a full keyboard that is touch type-able but a little smaller than standard. I'm not sure I'd want to write a book on it, but the keyboard has good finger feel and works well for short documents and e-mail.

I plan to use the machine for reading news and doing e-mail at the breakfast table and on my favorite couch, and for bringing along the Internet, e-mail and my current work whenever I travel. It would probably be a good first computer for students and a first laptop for those who don't have one and are pressed for cash.

Called the Acer Aspire One, the machine is a powerful answer to our current economic catastrophe: a highly portable laptop for the impoverished masses. It's the first mini-laptop that appears to combine all the benefits of current technology (including open software) with the user uppermost in mind. If, like me, you are slowly gravitating toward "cloud" computing, which secures all your work and media with professional backup and easy Web access from anywhere, it may be the travel computer for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much power for so much fun., February 12, 2009
J. Burdick (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Love my new Acer Aspire One Netbook with the Linux processor. I can even pull up my MS Office programs and documents - a good thing. So light but not insubstantial. And what a price!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't do Windows, May 5, 2009
I love my new Linux netbook. It could take half a day for my ancient notebook to become usable after the anti-virus and Windows updates. They really slowed my 5 year old XP machine to a crawl. That's pretty annoying when all you want to do is get on the internet a minute and check your e-mail. It takes no more than 15 seconds for my new Acer to boot up, and about that long for it to connect to my wireless network. I won't be camping out in front of my notebook any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Windows Alternative Netbook, March 25, 2009
The Acer Aspire One netbook appealed to me with it's low price point, solid-state drive, and most of all - Linux OS instead of Windows. I must say that is has exceeded my expectations. It's a fantastic device, boots really fast compared to Windows (literally less than a minute from power on to browsing the web), and does everything I need it to do. The screen is very bright and crisp and the unit is small and light. Mind you, this isn't a full-blown desktop replacement type laptop, this is a fast, light, small, and well equipped netbook, which has been designed primarily for web browsing and email. The Aspire fills this role perfectly and for me having Linux instead of Windows gives a great low-overhead convenience device that is very rewarding and a pleasure to use. I'd recommend one to anyone needing a small device as a complement to a desktop or full featured laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Internet Machine, April 29, 2009
The Acer Aspire One running Linux is a great little internet machine. Don't fear the Linux. I was hesitant to switch over from Windows but I am totally satisfied. All i needed was a basic setup for web, e-mail, and skype. Skype isn't preloaded but Acer offers it as a free download (with installation instructions) from their Aspire One support page. Skype is fully functional on the Aspire, voice/video. Firefox is included and I've been able to view/login to every page I've gone to. So it's fully functional. The e-mail program is like outlook. It has an address book and handles all your email needs. My cousins love using the included Messenger program. They also use the included OpenOffice to type up their homework. OpenOffice is similar to MS Office and is cross compatible. The Wifi works great and the battery life is decent.

Over all it's a fully functional and very stable netbook. Linux allows it to boot up in 15 seconds and shut down in about 20 seconds. Windows can't even dream about being that fast. Linux is a little more virus resistant than windows. So, you won't have to worry about your Linux Aspire One crashing like a Windows Aspire one.

I was so impressed with the Linux Acer Aspire that I bought a second one. Both have been used heavily for about 2 months now and they still boot/run fast. Windows can't match that level of performance in a small netbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Wonder!, March 30, 2009
Having read all the reviews I could find on the newest wave of Netbook PCs, I selected this one for value, build quality, performance and reliability. After putting it to the test for two weeks, I can assure any prospective buyer that if a Netbook is what he truly needs, this one will absolutely thrill. I expanded my memory with the additional 8 GB SD Card, also from Amazon.com, and have ordered the Iomega SuperSlim DVD Writer from Amazon.com as well. I found that nearly any USB mouse will work without added driver support. The Netbook is easy to use, right out of the box, and I have yet to study the manual in depth. While the Linpus Lite version of Linux is a bit limiting, I do not find this troublesome; rather, I find the integration of the Linpus Lite version with the Acer Aspire One to be well executed. Most users will find that they do NOT have to download any additional software. Though the screen is small, and the keyboard about 85% the size of a standard one, I quickly became comfortable with both. For those needing a larger display when not traveling or portable, the Aspire One provides an external video output for that purpose.

With no moving parts other than a small cooling fan that occasionally runs, and a solid-state drive for storage, this unit should be all but bulletproof, so long as it is not abused.

I do not hesitate to recommend this Netbook to those who understand what they are buying. However, I add a word of advice to heavy PC users that are accustomed to high-speed graphics and gaming: Netbooks, in general, are NOT for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire One is GREAT!, March 24, 2009
What a great "little" machine - Am traveling this summer and wanted something larger than a Blackberry keyboard (have to use the pencil end to type)to keep in touch with my "group." The keyboard is very comfortable - only problem is my thumb keeps wanting to reach farther for the space bar but that is just practice.

At first thought the smaller screen would be a problem but after using it and then switch to a larger monitor keep thinking larger monitor is too large.

I have shown it to many and many are purchasing one of their own. And many times when using it in public have others stop and request a "review."

For general computer use it fills the bill. Am a Linux user on my other systems but the interface allows non-Linux users to quickly get on board.

Great Mini - Barb

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement for college student, March 6, 2009
cineKate (Los Alamos, NM) - See all my reviews
This Netbook was an excellent find after one of the kids fell off his skateboard and onto his Acer laptop. It was cheaper than repairing the screen of the broken one, and has turned out to be a VERY good replacement. I'm eager to get one for myself, and understand that the solid state hard drive and Linpus Linux operating system have been happy alternatives to the more familiar Windows XP.
We also followed the advice of other reviewers and downloaded the FREE alternative to MS Office : "openoffice.org". Since Open Office was available through the internet (did I mention it is FREE?), it solved the problem of having to install MS from a CD. There has been no problem with compatibility thusfar. It's all been reviewed very favorably by PCWorld and our college student.
It's not just the price... this was a great buy all around.

Rate and Discover Movies