on July 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm a college student who just needed laptop for basic, general use. That includes basic internet browsing (often with many tabs), opening multiple, large, textbook-sized PDFs, running large powerpoints that professors often use and running programs like Skype, usually all at the same time. I'm also a computer enthusiast; I'm accustomed to high performance parts.

And I chose this laptop.
BASIC INFO

This is the first laptop I've owned. Right out of the box, WEI rates the memory, desktop graphics and hard drive at 5.9, "gaming" graphics are rated at 6.5 and the processor is rated at 6.7; thus the overall system rating is 5.9.

Like most laptops, this one also has bloatware. This was a nonissue for me since I did a clean installation of Windows 7.

Note that the processor actually comes clocked at 1.5 GHz and not 1.4 GHz as Amazon has stated in the specifications.

The laptop has 4GB of memory; there are two sticks of 2GB RAM. The model is Samsung M471B5773CHS-CH9. 512MB of memory is shared with the APU, leaving 3.47GB for the rest of the system.

The 1.3 MP camera works. Nothing much else to say about this.
AESTHETICS

Its design is sleek and simple. Nothing gaudy and that's how I like it.

The laptop has a glossy screen which may present glare problems if you use it outdoors. There is no glare when used indoors unless you're in exceptionally bright lighting. The monitor's viewing angle is decent; people sitting next to you shouldn't have a problem viewing your screen. There's no indicator light for when the webcam is activated.

The spaced out keys make it slightly easier to type, but there has never been a laptop keyboard I truly ever liked. Sadly, there are no indicators for caps lock or num lock.

The status indicator LEDs (power, HDD activity, etc.) are not overly bright. Good.

The speakers aren't anything spectacular, but I wasn't expecting them to be great.
PERFORMANCE AT STOCK SETTINGS, STOCK PARTS

Battery life is pathetic. It has six cells, but that is irrelevant as there is no industry standard for cell size. What matters is the rating in watt-hours; for this battery, it's rated at 48 watt-hours. That means it can provide 48 watts for one hour. This laptop uses 18-25 watts during normal use and up to 40-47 watts with more intensive loads, such as gaming. With that said, the battery will only last 2-3 hours at best. Don't expect to game for more than an hour on battery.

At idle and maximum brightness, the laptop draws 13.8-14.4 watts of power. At idle and minimum brightness, power draw falls to 10.3-10.9 watts. Based on those measurements, the battery will only last the advertised four hours if you leave the laptop idle.

I stressed it for one hour with Prime95; no errors or warnings occurred.

While stressing it with Prime95, power draw stays around 44-46 watts. CPU temperature went up to a maximum of 64°C (about 150°F) which is well within acceptable ranges, even for a mobile processor. Temperature was monitored using Core Temp. If those temperatures alarm you, keep in mind this was a stress test that runs the computer at 100% for the entire duration of the test; temperatures will not reach those numbers under normal usage.

The fan speeds up as temperature rises, but it isn't noisy. During the stress test, the bottom gets warm enough to be uncomfortable if it was in your lap; the left side of the keyboard surface also gets slightly warmer, but it is barely noticeable.

The hard drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM Toshiba MK5059GSXP. It isn't terribly slow, but slow enough to make me impatient. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the SSD I have on my desktop. Not a con, but not a good thing either. Most users probably won't notice a difference.

As for gaming, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 runs at 30-40 FPS on medium textures and no AA. However, the frame rate isn't very stable and would be a problem in multiplayer; dropping down to the lowest settings smoothes things out considerably. Skyrim runs at 28-35 frames with a mix of medium-high settings. The frame rate isn't high, but in this case it is very playable because it stays stable and smooth. Heat was not a problem while gaming; I played Skyrim for two hours and the temperature averaged 56°C and reached a maximum of 61°C.

PERFORMANCE AFTER UPGRADES, OVERCLOCKING

I upgraded the memory to a set of 8GB (2x4GB) sticks from Corsair bought through Amazon; WEI memory rating went up to 7.3.

I plan on replacing the hard drive with a 128GB SSD, most likely a Crucial M4 or a Samsung 830. I'm just waiting for a good sale.

At stock, the A6 processor is clocked at 1.5 GHz @ 1.0125 volts. Using K10STAT 1.54, I have the processor overclocked to 2.1 GHz at the same voltage. I ran Prime95 for 24 hours without errors or warnings. Interestingly enough, I can also undervolt and overclock it at the same time to 2.0 GHz @ 0.9875 V.
------------------------------------------
CONCLUSION

With Prime's free two day shipping and at $399.99 I paid, this is a great laptop. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Because it is an APU, the CPU and GPU are closer to each other physically and logically, allowing it to perform much better than it otherwise would. I don't plan on gaming on this, but it's nice to know it performs decently well.

The battery life sucks, but I don't mind bringing the charger with me. Once classes resume in the fall, the only place I'll be using the laptop is in the labs or library between classes. I'm there for four-seven hours at a time anyway which pushes the limits of most batteries anyway.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have been researching laptops for quite a few weeks before I decided to purchase this one. The goal for me was to find a laptop powerful enough for gaming for $500 or less. Yes, the options were very low, but then I found this beauty. I can play games like World of Warcraft and League of Legends at nearly the highest settings with no screen tearing, lag, etc. Everything runs surprisingly smooth. I've played WoW for a few hours in a row without the laptop overheating. I would also like to mention that this laptop is very quiet. It is not noisy at all.

Pros
-Powerful for the price
-No noise when on for hours even in games
-No overheating
-Keys are nice and quiet
-Sleek and attractive design
-Etc!

Cons
-Speakers are not the greatest, but not a huge enough flaw to worry about in my opinion
-Can't think of anything else!

So yes, I must give it a 5 out of 5! This laptop is worth every penny! If you are on a tight budget but desire a laptop for gaming, this is the laptop for you!
on June 18, 2012
My dad helped me purchase this Acer Aspire 5560-7402 laptop. We managed to get it at the price of 400 dollars and payed a little extra for the 2 day shipping. Amazon got the laptop here in perfect shape in less than 24 hours!
Be aware that there is a lot of "bloat-ware" installed from the beginning. I was rather vicarious and uninstalled a little too much in the beginning which caused some issues with the wireless. I ended up having to do a complete system restore, and I was lucky that Acer had such an option. Essentially it was a big reset button. So I'm just saying be careful with what you uninstall in the programs menu.
Also, another thing that confused me a bit in the beginning was the mention of "Turbo CORE technology" which clocks the CPU up to 2.4Ghz. I thought that there would be a some software that would give the the option to "Turbo" or Overclock your CPU, but found no such thing. After some research, Turbo Core Technology essentially Overclocks for a few Milliseconds, only when it is needed most (during a stressful in-game match for example). I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, but it sounds pretty cool. Just be aware that you really are purchasing a laptop with a 1.5Ghz quad-core CPU, not 2.4Ghz. (Only for fractions of a second).
The games I have played are all online: World of Tanks, Diablo 3, and Team Fortress 2. I keep them on a low to medium graphical setting, because I prefer a silky smooth frame rate. I have played for a couple hours straight while running Skype without any complaints from my new laptop.
:THE PROS:
Price.
Rock solid gaming performance.
The Laptop Microphone works surprisingly well. I do all of my gaming while on Skype, and haven't heard any complaints from my friends as far as background noise, humming noise, static, etc.

If I had to complain about some things, here they are :THE CONS:
The volume control is too sensitive for my liking. I prefer a "dial" type of volume adjustment, not the "Fn+arrow". Just one bar can make a huge difference in volume, especially with headphones.
The colors are not as vibrant as I would like them to be on my monitor. Perhaps I could adjust it more to my liking, but out of the box, I'm not blown away.

In short, this laptop is exactly what I needed.
It provides me with online gaming power at an awesome price.
on September 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
PROs: The design is slick. Thin and very lightweight for a 15.6" laptop. Windows live ratings: processor: 6.7, gaming graphics: 6.7, meaning you can play most of the recent games in low/medium settings, use photoshop and illustrator with no problems. Few laptops in this price range have comparable or better graphics card. Super-fast boot and shut-down. Silent and cool, no overheating problem at all. No hardware problems in 1 month of use.
CONs: The price fluctuates madly, must check other comparable laptops and websites before making a purchase. Many bloatware, took me almost a day to uninstall all.

Highly recommended if you need a little more than a word processor and a web browser but not looking for a monster gaming laptop.
on November 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
This Acer computer is great and was received 2 days earlier than the estimated delivery date. I have been using this laptop for 2 1/2 months and have no complaints. The laptop is lightweight and has has pretty good battery life. The battery started off giving me about 3 1/2 hours but after a couple of months I am getting on average about 5 hours of use on a single charge.
on November 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
I got this laptop at the beginning of October while it was on sale for $350, though I can honestly say it is worth the full $500 asking price.

This laptop easily matches the performance of an hp pavilion desktop p6622f that I've sunk about $500 into upgrading. Though I doubt it will last as long, as should be expected with a laptop. Need less to say I haven't used my desktop since this laptop arrived in the mail and I doubt I will until I have issues with it. Gaming is great, I've ran games like skyrim with no issues at all. WiFi is also seems to be great, though in all fairness I haven't been more than 15-20 feet away from the router with this laptop since I got it. HDMI port works great, trackpad works great, keyboard works great and anything I haven't mentioned I don't use.

The only downside is the battery life, and since I'm usually near an outlet thats not really a problem. I honestly can't judge battery life fairly, this is the first laptop I've owned, it was all desktops before this.

Anyway I would recommend this product. Unfortunately you won't get the great price I got, but it's still well worth the price.
on October 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
The computer worked just fine out of the box, sure there's some bloatware to deal with, but I've never bought a computer that didn't have an abundance of it and taking a few minutes to remove it is just part of the setup process to me.

The keys on the keyboard seem fairly large compared to my old HP and they're not any noisier. I read complaints about the caps and num lock not having indicators on the keyboard and thats true, but first, if you hit the button it tells you if its locked or unlocked on the screen and second, if you start typing and its all in caps, you probably have the caps lock on. The lack of an on keyboard indicator was certainly not a deal breaker for me.

It doesn't have a fingerprint sensor like my old computer, but I'm fine with that. It does have most of the basics like a webcam, etc. Mine has Windows 7 and comes with a free basic version of office which is just fine for me because it means I can use basic Word and Excel features. Most of the rest of the bloatware went away.

It was very easy to get unpacked and setup etc. My only complaint I guess is the way system restore is handled. My past computers partitioned off a small piece of the HD for system restore which was nice. This computer doesn't do that and it doesn't come with a system restore disk, you have to create one (actually it says you need 4 disks). Trouble is, I don't use DVD/CDs anymore, so I don't have any, for physical device moves I use a thumbdrive which holds a lot more than any DVD, so I'm not sure how you create a system restore disk with that.

Anyway, its everything I expected it would be from the specs and the reviews and I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It does the basic stuff that I want to do (web surfing, videos, etc, but not graphics intensive games, I don't play a lot of that). I think if my needs were more intensive like heavy duty spreadsheets or games I probably would have looked for something more robust, but for my needs this is perfect. The point is, if you're looking for a basic computer thats super inexpensive, don't fret and worry, this seems to work fine.
on September 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
I wanted a laptop for gaming (but I also didn't want to pay over $1,000) and after a good bit of research, I landed on this one. I've been playing Skyrim at the highest setting for a few weeks now, and it works great! Overall, I really like the laptop. Great design, fast, good quality and easy to use. Definitely worth buying!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2012
This computer was for my mother who was in need of a new laptop. The price was right it had all the features she was looking for. I found that I now like her computer so much that I think I would like to order the same one for me now. I especially like the number key pad. Thank you.
on July 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
This was chosen for a college student that needed a true computer for online courses and general computer use. It will work equally well for anyone that needs a basic computer that's a decent performer. After removing bloatware, creating recovery DVDs etc. I was ready to go in about 3 hrs.. This machine is fantastic value for 399.99 and it works flawlessly. I even did a complete Macrium Reflect Image in 20 mins. over a 1GBit network to a NAS. I look forward to great performance over the next few months and feel great about this purchase.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations