5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for me
Published 13 months ago by Robert E

3.0 out of 5 stars Acer Laptop performs well most of time BUT
Published 12 months ago by Robear

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for me, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire E1-531-2438 15.6" Laptop (1.9 GHz Intel Celeron 1005M Processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD - DVD plus/minus RW DL Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) Glossy Black (Personal Computers)
First I'd like to clarify the product description. The processor chip is actually an Intel Celeron 1005M. The rest of the description is accurate. My needs are for internet, spreadsheets, word docs, email, photos, videos, Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Google Earth, games, animated weather maps, specialty soft ware for flight planning, etc. this laptop does all that with ease.
It is well made. All components seem perfectly matched. AND BEST OF ALL...IT COMES WITH WINDOWS 7!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for general use; great for seniors., September 4, 2013
I purchased this computer for my mom and dad to use. They are 74 and 77 years old, respectively.

Since their old PC was Vista--need I say more?--I thought that the more reliable Windows 7 operating system would be to their liking. I did not want to burden them with Windows 8, which is not appealing to most of my friends, who are in their 40s and early 50's.

It was easy to configure the Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers to their liking.

The touch pad was something new for them. Both are trying to get used to it. I did teach them to turn it off when they are typing documents, in case the trackpad is too sensitive and starts causing keyboard errors. Even if a mouse is connected to the system, if the trackpad is not turned off, there may still be typing errors.

I like the DVD burner. I used it immediately to make eRecovery disks, one set for myself and one for them. The password reinstaller CD may also be a helpful thing to do early on. It is easy to find the eRecovery area, in case you need to reinstall it to original factory specifications. I like that feature. In the older models, it was not always there.

I removed some bloatware, like the Norton Backup and the version of McAfee that came with it. I installed the McAfee software from their internet provider, instead, which did not take very long.

Installing their external hard drive with our family photos was also easy to do. The screen quality is good. With their old Vista PC, the slide show did not function well. I did not need to worry here. It shows Youtube videos without hesitating, which I tried after the Adobe Flash Player was updated.

I own other Acer laptops, the Acer Aspire One 725-0899, Win 7, which I use for word processing and business trips. It sometimes hesitates during Hulu viewing, but for the convenience of portability that fits in my purse, it's okay. I don't like the SD slot, in which the cards stick frequently, requiring tape and pressure with fingers to extract the card. I have 2 old XP machines, which are Aspire 5002 WIMI and an old netbook Aspire One, which are compatible to my workplace computers. I still use them sometimes.

I am very satisfied with the Acer E1-531-2686 as being family friendly, good for emails, multimedia, and general purpose use.

It is also a very attractive red color, which pleased my mom very much.

I hope the company keeps this model around longer. I really don't like Windows 8. People need alternatives before Windows Blue fixes the problems that we have currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Laptop, October 15, 2013
Like you, I needed a laptop and started my search on Amazon only to compare what I liked to the big box stores. I was looking for a cheap "beater" laptop. I didn't need anything fancy, and this laptop looked like it fit the bill.

This laptop comes with a Celeron processor. I had images in my mind about the Celerons of yesteryear and was put off by this because they were typically slow. I took a chance without looking into the CPU further due to the price. This Celeron is an Ivy Bridge processor which was a huge shock to me. And though it's not an i3,i5 or i7 it does the job just fine.

Who should buy this and why.

You should buy this if:

You need something somewhat inexpensive
You want a computer that has Windows 7
You need a CD/DVD drive
You want a laptop that has a full size key board
You want/need a laptop that has a large hard drive - this laptop has a 500 gb hard drive
You do not want to "upgrade" to Windows 8

I personally do not use the keyboard as I am not a fan of the style of keys that this laptop has. Plus the layout is weird and my fingers never got used to it. I would have preferred the mouse pad to be moved over to the right about 3-4 inches. No matter. I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard right away as nothing beats a real deal full size keyboard.

The battery life is pretty good. I have not timed it out, but I'd say it's on par with Acer's claims.

One thing that does suck is the bloatware (pre-installed software) that comes on this machine, which is to be expected nowadays. It does come with a bunch BUT you can get rid of all of it almost immediately using PC Decrapifier. This works very well. I highly recommend. Plus, it's free.

Basically if you want something cheap(ish) do not ignore this laptop. I consider myself to be a more advanced user as I have built numerous computers from scratch, so my expectations are somewhat high...and even so I find this laptop to be above average for my needs. I'm sure at some point I could upgrade the RAM, but at this point I don't even see the need.

For the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find something comparable with the features this has.

11/14/13 UPDATE

I play Left 4 Dead 2 on the regular. Not on my laptop but on my main desktop computer. I was bored last night and hopped on Steam and downloaded L4D2 on this laptop, just to check. I was expecting it to be laggy and choppy, and eventually crash, due to tons of fast moving objects on screen. I was way wrong. Talk about impressive! This game plays very well on this laptop. Not like my main computer...but then, my main computer has a video card in it that was more expensive than this laptop. I did notice some choppiness when the screen filled with zombies, but nothing that made me want to turn if off. I was planning on getting rid of this laptop and then get another one with a video card so I could play games, but after playing last night, I don't see the need anymore. I'm keeping this until it dies. Way to go Acer.

12/12/13 UPDATE

I have experienced my first hardware/software problem with this laptop. There are 3 USB ports. 1 on the left and 2 on the right. The port that is closest to me on the right hand side has pretty much died. Anytime I plug something in it says that the device has failed. But this is weird. I can plug my smart phone in, and it will charge the phone, but that's it. I cannot access anything on my phone. But when I move it to the port next to it, I can access everything/charge the phone. So there is power there, but something is not right. Annoying? Yes, as I am using the other 2 ports on a consistent basis. One for the wireless keyboard and 1 for my external mouse.

I went into the device manager and tried uninstalling the "unknown device" and then plugging my phone back in, in the hopes that it will reinstall the driver for the phone like normal, and that didn't do anything. When I plug my mouse into this port, the laser does not come on, and it does not work, yet there is power there to charge a phone, but not enough to allow you to do anything else with this port.

Maybe this is hardware, maybe it's software and the computer could use a fresh install of Windows 7. I may try that out later on down the road. Or maybe I'll say screw it and just buy a USB hub and deal with it. This is not a deal breaker, I still love this laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop with nice win7 system!, July 24, 2013
It was a good choice for people like me who want to still keep having the win7 instead of win8.Then I found this deal,it was deep red with win7,running pretty fast,good for my work,love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great laptop, August 22, 2013
First of all it has 1005m 1.9ghz processor. Second of all it has 1 stick of ram. It means you can bump up the performance for $25 bucks with another stick of 4gb ram. It has sharp acreen, great colors, very decent speakers, soft and responsive keyboard. Also comfortable trackpad with engraving to feel the scroll. You can not go wrong with this machine for the price, just ignore word Celeron, CPU is pretty fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, sturdy, affordable laptop WITHOUT WINDOWS 8!, October 3, 2013
Kimberly "nicktee" (Owings Mills, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
Earlier this year I purchased a slim/lightweight compute with Windows 8 and hated it. The "app" interface was very off-putting to me in the laptop setting, and though you can use the "desktop" side it did not have full operational control of the computer and you still had to do some basic things on the "app" side. Others may like it fine, especially if you like social media integrated into everything you do (I don't). But it was not for me. I began looking for comparable inexpensive lighter-weight laptops with Windows 7, as most new machines are outfitted in Windows 8. After searching for a bit, I came across this Acer. I read the Amazon reviews as well as a few "tech" reviews I found on the web and gave it a try. I was also motivated by the fact that I've had an Acer tablet for 3.5 years and it has been a reliable and sturdy little machine. Acer products are not high on "glamour" and "bells and whistles" but get the job done for significantly less than more popular tech manufacturers. My assessment of the laptop after a month comports with my prior Acer experience. It does everything it should for my laptop needs. If you have more specialized or sophisticated use (such as heavy gaming, etc.) perhaps this would not be the right machine but for basic web browsing, document production, music and videos I couldn't ask for more, especially for the price. Browsing is fast, even with lots of windows open. Keyboard is more spacious than many other designs, which I like. No complaints at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, August 15, 2013
The first "plus" is Widows 7. It has a great price and intel inside, I would buy another one anytime.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acer Laptop performs well most of time BUT, August 2, 2013
Robear "monkseal" (Kapaa, HI United States) - See all my reviews
Now I have had the computer for 100 days and have more to share. NOT as good. Customer service is no longer quite excellent. Computer would not boot, Called Acer. They set me over to techie after initial questions. What they did not tell me was that they were referring me to a company in India that would charge for their services. (Would have been nice!) So when they worked with me rather ineffectively, I was thinking they were Acer and getting service as in first 90 days. When they figured out the problem after 1 1/2 hours and logging into my computer, say they will fix it and i can choose from the following payscale. ($70-$200) I felt totally highjacked! Here they were logged into my computer and just telling me that I owed them $$$'s!! Buy APPLE for good customer service! Have 4 a year old MacBook Pro, WOW! I know there is a big difference in price here but would recommend their laptops. Everything has been upfront with Apple. Each time I upgrade system I get another 90 days for free to help you learn. No deceit.
Add to this the persistence of Norton and other embedded programs from ACER continuing to pester me to Buy their brand. Obnoxious! Really I like the Acer computer but NOT what goes with it. And yes it is a bit tempermental.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, September 13, 2013
After giving a fancier laptop with a touchscreen and Windows 8 a try, I'm thrilled to return to Windows 7 and familiar territory. It's just been two days, but everything is working well and I enjoy the fun red color. Good deal and shipped much faster than I expected. If you do the basic stuff - email, internet, photos - this is a great user-friendly choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, great price !, August 25, 2013
Hard to find a computer with Windows 7 in a 15", that isn't used or refurbished for under $500. Having never owned anything but HP laptops I thought I would give this one a try. I needed an additional laptop for my office to be left at the workplace, that was compatible with our business software and this one has been exceptional. It preforms very well. Fast and accurate with no glitches. For around $370 this one cannot be beat!

Rate and Discover Movies