Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Acer Aspire E1-571-6888 16 Inch Laptop (2.5GHZ Intel Core i3, 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 8) Glossy Black
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 5, 2013
I bought this laptop today from my computer guy. It was brand new, I'm the one that actually cut open the box. I had him upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, and it flies! I recommend this computer for anyone looking for a nice, stable computer. Upgrade the RAM if you get a chance and just sit back and enjoy! I usually don't write reviews on Amazon if I didn't buy it on Amazon, but this computer is worth it. The best laptop I've had since my last Acer in 2009. I have since had a Toshiba and Sony, also both good computers. This is just what I've wanted for, not only speed, but convenience, as this is a lighter laptop then the rest have been.
on October 31, 2013
I specifically bought this laptop for my wife to use for our small business because it was rated the #2 most reliable Windows laptop by Soluto in their 2013 reliability study (outdone only by a MacBook that cost more than twice as much--and which probably didn't clock nearly as much time running Windows as this Acer).

What I like:

- rated #2 most reliable Windows laptop in Soluto's 2013 reliability study
- inexpensive
- fastest CPU in its price range (according to CPUbenchmark.net)
- power cord has a right-angle plug on the laptop end
- speakers, though mediocre, are at least audible in a household environment and are better than I've had on past entry-level laptops
- not overly bulky or heavy
- decent battery life

What I don't like:

- hard drive is extremely slow, even compared to other spindle-based laptop drives (a faster hard drive or SSD would be a welcome upgrade)
- touchpad buttons require too much force to click (they're not horribly stiff, but they did cause my thumb's existing repetitive stress injury to fire up again)
- touchpad performance is inconsistent
- glossy screen
- low resolution (1280x768)
- keyboard could be better
- power connector on the laptop is wobbly (might be prone to failure...but I guess we'll see)
- wireless connection is flaky (disconnects periodically, but turning WiFi off and back on always seems to fix it)
- comes with some crapware/bloatware preinstalled

The bottom line:

Unfortunately there are too many negatives for me to say I like this laptop out-of-the-box. If you need a cheap, no-frills laptop and you're on a strict budget, then this is probably the best entry-level laptop you'll find based on the specs and Soluto's reliability study, but it does have its flaws. If you're willing to spend $200 or so upgrading the RAM and replacing the hard drive with an SSD, you're probably better off stepping up to a slightly higher-end model with a touchscreen and more RAM (such as Acer's V5 series), and upgrading that laptop's hard drive to an SSD.
on February 21, 2013
Just purchased this laptop recently and I am really happy with it. Build quality seems very solid. the lid is glossy but the inside around the keyboard and track pad are not which is nice, as far as I can tell it doesn't get smear marks like the gloss.

The Intel core i3 processor seems to have the speed I need. I am able to run all the desktop applications that I use on my desktop which has an Intel core i7 in it.

The integrated Intel HD 4000 performs well in video situations such as Youtube and Hulu, I haven't had any issues. I tried Minecraft, Portal 2 and varies other low end games on this system. Minecraft runs about 20 FPS and Portal 2 runs awesome with all the settings as high as they can go. Considering this is not a gaming system I think that's pretty good and works well for light gaming.
I like that the system supports up to 8GB of memory.
One thing I don't care for as an IT Tech, the BIOS is locked down. I can only change a few settings. The BIOS is called insydeh20, I feel if that is installed there should at least be a way to disable it.
Last note: there is no Bluetooth which I actually thought all laptops had.
Overall this is a solid system and has some nice features to go with it. This is an excellent system for my needs.

One note, setting the supervisor password for the BIOS allows you to change a few extra settings.
on August 13, 2013
I seldom provide reviews and I bought this laptop some place else.

Overall, I am very pleased with the product. This is an excellent laptop for someone in need of high performance and efficiency at the cost of overall design and other fluff. I paid a bit more than this current price and still have no regrets. There is ample room for multi-tasking applications with this laptop.

Pros:

Its fast and powerful Intel Core i3 2.4GHz processor is able to run the daily graphic design programs (Photoshop, InDesign) I use on top of Windows 8 and several other applications.

With the innate 4GB memory, some heavy games such as The Lord of the Rings Online and Star Wars the Old Republic run quite smoothly and at high graphics settings thanks to its also powerful Intel HD Graphics with up to 1760MB dynamic video memory.

The long-lasting 6 cell LI-ion battery lasts about 3 hours running heavy applications on High Performance battery setting and almost 6 hours running standard business operations on Balanced battery setting.

Expandable to over 8GB of memory and the 500GB (450GB to be honest) HDD drive is very fast as well.

Nice HDMI port and card reader.

Cons:

The keyboard design has a lot to desire. More separation between the alpha and numeric pads would be great.

Windows 8 desktop panels are shambles. A simple download of the "Start Menu 8" application fixed this.

There is no Numlock, Capslock, ScrollLock, FN indicator on the laptop. This is a huge flaw in user interaction design.

The sound...is awfully low. It is still low even after tweaking the sound settings. External speakers/headphones are needed.
on October 12, 2014
The overall construction is durable, and the hardware is stable. 6-cell battery can last a long time. Although the keyboard keys are large, the arrow keys are squeezed in a tight spot, with added dollar sign and Euro sign (which are not often used). This makes the users easily press the wrong arrow key. Therefore, the overall keyboard layout is inconvenient. Elan touchpad is ridiculous; I've tried many combinations of settings, but it is difficult to get the mouse stay in place when typing, also the mouse doesn't have accelerate functions that Synpatics does. This means that I have to use mouse, instead.
As usual, most of the pre-installed software programs are not useful.
As for cleaning, there is no easy way to clean the fans, unlike Lenovo laptops, which have easy-to-open back panel. In Lenovo laptops, you simply unscrew the back panel and everything from the hard drive, RAM, to system fans can be easily cleaned.
The CPU speed is a bit slower than I wanted. The volume is also not the best but acceptable. There is no Bluetooth access.
The screen is crisp and large, the webcam is in high quality, the microphone is not that great.
Product Support: Unfortunately, there are few document on the manufacture website. I can't find the one detailing how to upgrade or replace computer components or disassemble the laptop, I have to resort for looking up Youtube videos.
Please note that 4GB (max. 8GB) RAM is due to the presence of one 4GB memory module (not two 2GB modules). So you can add another 2 or 4GB RAM without wasting a 2GB memory module.
There is no software that helps you last battery life longer (both in terms of longevity or the duration of discharge).
I wish there was one more USB port, but it's just a minor annoyance.
Another minor annoyance is that there is no CAP or Number Lock light indicator, you have to set up sound indication from Microsoft operating system.
Wifi connection is OK; I haven't experienced any hiccups. (I had a HP that frequently drops the signal after waking up or turning on).
Finally, the computer doesn't come with Microsoft Office Start, which is a shame (but it's Microsoft's fault).
There is a separate section for manufacture restore (ASUS sometimes doesn't offer this convenience).
on August 1, 2015
I've had this computer for a few years, and it's always pulled through, and even has operated better than some top notch computers in some instances. I use it mostly for gaming. It runs popular games (CoD, borderlands, l4d2) on minimum graphics settings. So for daily tasks or just home life, I do extremely recommend this 100%. It comes with a little bit of bloat ware, but nothing that can't just be uninstalled within a couple hours. As for gamers, I say go look for another computer. The high end games just won't make the cut on this PC. Not without looking graphically terrible at least.
review image
on March 21, 2016
its great purchase. little heavy but does the job. display is great. i have ci5 for two years and no complains. one broke its screen by stepping on it. no issues even after damaging by stepping on it. so great machine. if you have a lot of stuff in your bag then you should consider some light weight machine.
on April 18, 2014
The product was shipped in time and in very good condition.
Great product for internet browsing and working with office programs.
Doesn't support Bluetooth and Microsoft office products must be purchased.
It would be better if the product had a bit stronger external VGA.
Recommended to buy for those who don't play games on laptops.
on October 14, 2013
Good computer, handles all that I need it to do. I hate windows 8 on this computer. While typing documents your finger can't help hitting the windows 8 key. Computer runs a little slow at times. But does a descent job, that's why I give it 4 stars.
on January 7, 2014
It is a great laptop.

Just 2 little problems- no Caps/num/scroll lock indicators. Besides, the arrow keys could be bigger.