5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Budget Gaming Machine At A Really Good Price
Published on August 31, 2012 by Kurt Joseph Pankau

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken on Arrival, Poor Customer Service
Published 23 months ago by David C Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Budget Gaming Machine At A Really Good Price, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire V3-571G-6641 15.6-Inch Laptop (Midnight Black) (Personal Computers)
I was supremely pleased with this purchase. I'd been looking for a budget gaming laptop in the $500-600 range and found this through a different website (I went with Amazon because they had a better price by about $60). For a gaming system, the bottleneck is usually in graphics, but this computer has a decent-enough graphics card. The trade-off is that it has a smaller, slower hard drive, a dual-core (as opposed to quad) processor and only 4 gigs of RAM (although it can be upgraded to 8). What I ended up with was a system that can play any game I own at a decent resolution, even new titles like Skyrim. I haven't tried resource hogs like the Crysis series, so your mileage may vary.

It's not a completely perfect system. There's some bloatware to be uninstalled (although less than I've had with other manufacturers) and the keyboard layout is a little funky. Ins and Del have been moved to the Function row, and the volume controls are alternate functions of arrow keys--meaning there's no way to change the volume one-handed. The usb ports are all towards the front of the machine, which is not to my preference.

But still, the good far outweighs the bad and the price-tag makes this a great value. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, September 6, 2012
Hanna (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm guessing other reviewer just got unlucky because I've had no issues.
This can run BF3 on medium settings and almost any other game(Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third, GW2)on maximum settings.
It's a great bang for your buck.
My only complaint is that the track pad is placed oddly, but that's a issue that will be gone as soon as I get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent buy!, October 10, 2012
I purchased this laptop in August and all in all I am very pleased. The laptop comes with decent hardware. You can't go wrong with a i3 Intel. Even though it's only a dual core, only a small percentage of ALL programs and games will utilize more than 2 cores. The HDD although is only 5400rpm is not really noticeable. The boot time is like 30 seconds flat. The Nvidia 630M is an "ok" chip. It doesn't really seem to perform as well as most people claim, but maybe that's because I am used to my desktop. =P It will however run most if not all games that are out now, but be warned you will be running them at native or lower resolutions and you're lucky if you can get medium setting at 30+ fps. Games like Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and WoW run at low-medium settings.

Outside of gaming Windows 7 Aero runs like a dream. Very fast response time within Windows and apps. The audio quality is poor though. Don't let the "Dolby" tag fool you. I have yet to hear ANY laptop speakers that sound close to decent, so it's nothing personal against this specific system. It's nothing a good set of headphones can't fix. Grab your plugs from your ipod or ipad and you're golden.

In closing I would say this is an awesome buy. For 500$ you really can't go wrong. And as a side note, you can pick up a RAM upgrade (8GB DDR3 PC12800) for like 50$. And if the slow HDD rpm is just a no-no then a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD is another option too. However those are the only parts that are upgradable, but the upgrade to the RAM however WILL make a big difference in gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, October 17, 2012
Amazing value for the hardware. Its able to run the latest heavy duty games. Even guild wars 2 and battlefield 3 :)

Very clean design, mouse pad is oddly placed, but I'm used to it now.

The volume is also very loud, no earphones required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer is a good laptop for gamers, January 21, 2013
Pros: This laptop plays all my games beautifully, really good graphics card
Has good battery life

Cons: The webcam it comes with isn't exactly that great
and the mousepad is way too close to the WASD (which is what is used a lot in PC games), but i an always disable the mousepad.
It only has three USB holes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, December 29, 2012
Computer is amazing good for gaming and homework . . . . . . . . . . . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the price, December 19, 2012
I paid $530 and so far I am very impressed with the performance. For the most part it works almost as well as my desktop which I primarily used before buying this. Plays most of my games including Skyrim very well. Only minor complaints are the track pad is kinda "eh" and after only owning it for a month and a half the back of it is covered with fingerprints but I could really care less. Overall, I think it's a great deal for the performance you can get out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value..., November 20, 2012
Overall, this is a very good computer and well worth the money. The only thing lacking is that the monitor is not as crisp as my other notebook computer, so if that is a priority for you then you may want to take that into consideration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken on Arrival, Poor Customer Service, October 22, 2012
Just got this item shipped to me. The monitor is broken - only half of it turns on. Customer service has been a nightmare. After 30 minutes, they finally admitted it was a hardware issue and told me to ship it back for a total turnaround time of ~3 weeks to service. I need the computer for a project this month, so this doesn't work for me. They told me I have no other option -- there's no possibility of a refund or exchange. DEFINITELY should have spent the extra $50 for an equivalent Lenovo...

3.0 out of 5 stars betrayed again and again (edit), September 4, 2012
this laptop was one of the greatest dissapointments that i ever got.
im not even go to the details because writing this review is hard but when i first recievd the laptop, it came with a broken screen. and i had it replaced, now it has a broken keyboard. so im wirting this through a tool in control panel. both of the laptop i got from this manufacturer was defective and now it just lost all hope from me. now i must warn people that this isn't saving money for a good gaming rig. this is throwing away 500 dollars being cheap. if you need a laptop to work no matter what. Don't get acer laptops because it has not one of the, but the worst quality in any brand.

all in all, acer is a terrible company who needs to lose everything.

edit* well like the commenter said, maybe i was being too mad and hot tempered when i wrote this review. I got 2 broken systems and i was pretty mad, well now i bought a replacement keyboard for this and switched out the keyboard, which wasn't a easy deal because the keyboard is built inside the case. but after the keyboard fix I got started to love this laptop because it allowed me to play so much of the games in my steam library. the keyboard (when fixed or is alright)is great, its comfortable to use and has a full number pad. the arrow keys might be small but i couldn't tell the difference. the screen is great but this might be because i had a broken one and the improvement is huge. the graphics card of this laptop is also powerful enough to play any games i throw at it as long as I'm lenient with the resolution.
Now to the cons, real cons this time.I have had a problem with its trackpad because it seems that when im using the keyboard, I cant move my mouse around with my track pad. this problem might just effect me and is fine if you use a mouse but I hope there is a solution to it. The laptop also comes with Nvidia Optimus technology. now some people might be fine with this and even need to have it on a laptop as a purchasing decision but for me its a problem because it recognizes some games weird and plays it on the hd 3000. games like sonic generations and such.

so this laptop is fine if it doesn't come defective.
and the angry initial review was me at a pretty pissed off state.

Rate and Discover Movies