5.0 out of 5 stars No Frills Processing Horsepower
Published 19 months ago by thetjb

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh....
Published 19 months ago by Mike Hinders

5.0 out of 5 stars No Frills Processing Horsepower, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire V3-571G-9686 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
The last few reviews have touched on this but I want to make certain people understand, this is an outstanding gaming laptop. The processor and GPU are light years beyond what you'd get in this price range and it shows in high demand gaming environments. The hard drive is a bit slow on load times but once you're in, you're absolutely golden. I spent a good bit of time attempting to find a cheap laptop I could take to and from places and still be a functional gamer, and this exceeds expectations.

Keep in mind, though, that you're sacrificing elsewhere. The screen is bad, the keyboard isn't great, the trackpad is just abysmal. It isn't nearly as sleek as a new ultrabook from whoever else might be out there. But I personally didn't buy it for any of those reasons. However, if you can spell "aestetically pleasing", look elsewhere. It's a $750 laptop with one of the most powerful laptop processors out there, and a pretty nice mobile GPU to boot. You're losing some polish.

Now, I bought this laptop because it crushes similarly priced laptops with the might of a herd of bison. It does this all day, every day, and if you're looking for either a ridiculously powerful laptop for some sort of work or a gaming laptop under a grand, this is it. The niche for this laptop is small, but if you're in it, you'll be exceptionally happy.

A note: it's easier to set up the screen gamma, etc. to be slightly off axis as you're viewing it. The optimal viewing angle is so small it's actually easier to adjust it to being off axis than on, since if you adjust it for being on axis you're looking at not being able to even think about moving your head. Oh and don't even pretend to be able to game with the trackpad, you need a USB mouse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop With Minor Customization, January 7, 2013
After using this laptop for about a month I can say that it is truly worth the purchase, it is not without minor flaws however. To start off, it is a relatively stylish laptop. It's subtle for the most part which i think is appealing in comparison to obnoxiously styled gaming laptops. The build quality is around average (maybe a little less considering the price range) although the keyboard is very good. As far as specs go, for the price, it can not be beat. It is not without a few disadvantages however. Sadly, the only OS this ships with is Windows 8, which is unstable, not the least bit user friendly, and a huge pain to install Linux on. When I received it, it also had a WiFi connection issue that was a real pain solving considering Acer's abysmal customer support. If you decide to purchase this, installing Windows 7 is a MUST. Oh, and it also runs pretty cool as well.

*The driver to fix the WiFi connectivity can be found on the Acer V3 drivers page (google acer v3 drivers) and is called the Wireless LAN Driver (new) by vendor Atheros.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Performance Laptop at a Great Price, March 14, 2013
Did a lot of research before I decided to go with the V3 571g 9686 but I'm glad I did. This laptop looks sleek and performs very well. I noticed some of the comments saying things about windows 8 being junk and having a ton of "bloatware" or commercially installed applications that are unnecassary. They were easy to unistall either using the normal add/remove or downloading CCleaner or another program to unistall applications. Windows is a bit different but you still having access to your normal desktop, new features include swiping from the left or right of your mousepad. Swipe left to switch between open windows, slide right open the start menu. I would suggest upgrading your ram to max out at 8gb. Fortunetly the ram is set up with 2 slots and one 4gb stick and one 2gb stick and not forcing you to spend a ton on a whole kit. They were nice enough to include kingston ram but just the 2gb stick so it doesn't matter. The overall build I feel is very sturdy. Keyboard feels nice and precise, not built out of one big keyboard but the keys are seperated by a nice looking silver housing. Mousepad is nice but feels rather senstive, I've adjusted settings but dragging and dropping is a pain. Its also off center and more towards the left, which is not a compaint but just interferes with typing. Numerical pad is a nice feature and doesn't feel like its addition is crowding the keyboard. A youtube review had mentioned that running the windows index test to see how your machine performs overall is low. Which is wrong, heres why. The laptop doesn't come with just one graphcis card but two. The Intel HD 4000 is interegrated into the motherboard, and the Nvidia Geforce GT 640M. If you adjust your nvidia settings your can change it to automatically switch between graphics cards when the load is necassary. However you can also set it to only use the Nvidia card. I ran the test with the intel and came out at a 5.4 becuase of the graphics card. Ran it again with the Nvidia and my graphics came out to 7.7! However the HDD is at 5400 rpm so its overall score became 5.5. You could updgrade the HDD but since everyone is complaining about the battery power a 5400 rpm HDD is going to use less power than a 7200 rpm HDD. Yes the battery life is short because of all the nicer hardware which is the tradeoff. Overal i'm very satisfied with this laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspire V3 FTW, January 21, 2013
I've only had the laptop for a week, but so far so good. Feels solid and well built. Gamers will be pleased too with the dedicated GPU and 2GB RAM; I've seen no lag playing SWTOR. The only thing I wish this laptop had is a backlit keyboard. Even without the backlit keyboard, this laptop is a great deal and gets 5 stars unless it starts to have issues. I'll update this review if it takes a turn for the worse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh...., December 12, 2012
I purchased this laptop on November 10th. After a speedy delivery (thanks Amazon =]) I was off and running with it. The video card and processor are wonderful, letting me play Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and a myriad of other games easily and on normal to higher settings. Even during these game sessions, the laptop remained cool. Unfortunately, as of yesterday, the wireless adapter decided to go on the fritz, disconnecting me from the internet at random. The only way to fix the problem was to reset it. After resetting it 20 times in the course of 2 hours, I decided to contact Acer customer service. This is where the deal breaker began. With no number that I could find to physically speak to someone, I resigned to using the internet chat option (it was a joke seeing as my internet was kicking out). They informed me to do a number of troubleshooting steps, which I followed. After following 4 different paths, it was apparent that I would have to send the item in for repair. Unfortunately, after setting up a service ticket, I never received any answers, or any information, regarding how to send the computer in to have it repaired. It was a shame, seeing as the computer was a good one, just has a bad wireless adapter, and shoddy customer service, at best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming, March 28, 2013
I got this laptop so that I could play newer games, and it does such excellently. So far, I've played both Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite on "Very High" settings (that's one below the highest, "Ultra") and they run extremely smooth, with any lag being a scarce thing. Windows 8 isn't very nice but with a bit of time its completely manageable. Screen is very good definition, as is the webcam. Speakers aren't amazing but certainly aren't terrible; I can still enjoy media through them. Laptop very well built, very solid, and a lot lighter than I expected. Also doesn't heat up very easily and has never gotten very hot for me. I'm sure in a few years this thing will be outdated and I'll have to upgrade (maybe to a desktop) I see this working for a very long time and for the price, can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mid-grade gaming laptop, February 6, 2013
Amazon Customer (Carrollton, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this computer to replace my aging high-end gaming machine. I will note that upon arriving, I immediately upgraded the memory to 8GB from the 6GB it came with. I've played LA Noire, The Secret World and Skyrim along with a variety of other games to test its capabilities. It plays everything at High to Ultra with no slowdown or significant drop in FPS.

One thing it has which makes a big difference is the presence of the NVidia "Optimus" technology. The laptop does not simply have the GeForce 640M GPU in it, but also an Intel Integrated HD 4000 processor; the system dynamically switches between the two processors as needed, and at time takes on load-balancing so that if you play a borderless windowed game, your game is covered by the GPU and the desktop is done by the Integrated HD processor. This makes for seamless Alt-Tabbing when needed.

The body is mostly plastic, but the overall build quality for a product of that construction doesn't feel that weak. While some may gripe about the weight, my last gaming laptop weighed in at about 10 pounds with its oversized battery, so this is no problem for me. For the price, this machine simply cannot be beat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for its price!, December 25, 2012
This is an incredible laptop for its price. As a graphics designer and a gamer, I found that this one met most of my expectations and even exceeded some others. Adobe Photoshop CS6 performs smoothly and so far I've had no problems running it even after 2-3 hours of work. The games I currently have installed are Diablo 3, DC Universe Online, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This computer is capable of handling all three on max/ultra settings without any significant drops in frame rate. The interface is really easy to quickly navigate once you customize the Start screen with apps that you actually use. Speakers aren't all that great, but that's not a problem for people like me who wear headphones a lot. The glossy case looks awesome but it does leave a ton of fingerprints which require constant cleaning. In my opinion, the screen was a bit too bright at default settings. Gamma adjustment fixed this issue within seconds and my movie/gaming experiences significantly improved afterwards.

The only problem with this laptop that cannot be easily resolved is the short battery life. If I'm surfing web pages or using Microsoft Office, the battery lasts me about 3-4 hours (keep in mind I have the power settings on High Performance). If I'm using Photoshop, watching a movie, or playing a game, then I'll barely get over two hours. This doesn't bug me because I think it's silly to expect longevity from a battery if you're using a large program. I always keep the power cable plugged in if I'm playing a game. However, other users who prefer to be mobile may see a laptop's battery as the make-or-break factor when shopping for a new computer. If you absolutely need a battery that can last you 5+ hours, then do not buy this product. If you can overlook this shortcoming, then I will highly recommend the Aspire. It truly offers so much more than the other laptops in its price range.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good gaming laptop for what you pay........., May 21, 2013
I received this laptop (brand new) today and it looks new but it looks used too because the buttons on the keyboard ( A,W,S,D,E) are stuck a little bit when you push it down u hear a weird sound but the other buttons are ok I think this is used they used to play games on this cause the buttons that I mentioned above are the button that you need to play games a lot like first person games, car games,.....this is weird and annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice., April 6, 2013
Honestly, it reached my expectations, and shattered them. Very good laptop for the price, and great if your an advid gamer. I haven't had any problem running any game since buying it.

Keep in mind, I never review anything I buy. So, take this review in that thought. Must be pretty nice to get a review, eh?

Rate and Discover Movies