Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on BGG

VINE VOICEon January 19, 2013
I only owned Personal PC's until I purchased a Acer 11 inch "One" netbook for traveling and I was amazed at the picture quality and tthe prihe nice feel and the keyboard especially at that price. Lately my wife needed a laptop and so I decided on Acer again since I was so happy with the quality of my last Acer product. I got this for cheaper than most 15.6 computers cost without compromising any features. It is very fast, it is a breeze to set up, it has a lot of hard drive space, it has a full size keyboard with number keys on the right side. I'm glad I got the 17.3 screen mainly because if I want to stream anything you have a nice size picture and speaking of that the image quality is outstanding on this machine. The only thing I don't like about this laptop is the gloss black finish, be prepared to clean off fingerprints all of the time. That's the only thing I can find fault with but everything else about it I love.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
i have been shopping for a new computer for a wile waiting for the right deal to come along,here it is .acer has put everything [but one of intels new i-chip's]that you could ever want packed into a 17'' large,beautiful screened laptop at any price and this one is only $429.
-what it's not:--a gamer lacking newer i-3,5,7 and has integrated solid state hard drive,no blue-ray,not a touch screen.
-what it is: --quick and responsive
--connection's are endless -I've connected wired and wireless printers,media server,tablet,plasma
tv,wireless mouse,Bluetooth speaker and still counting with out any problems,
--light for it's size
--the screen wow i watch a lot of movie's,tv,and play some games they all look great.
-the keyboard is responsive and the key's look awesome surrounded by brushed aluminum.
There are a couple of not so stellar feature's.the sound quality is not great [I've never really been impressed with laptop sound anyway] and the glossy finish,wile it's beautiful only last's until you touch it. also the touchpad's a little touchy[I use an external mouse] .
Now about windows 8, the jury is still out.fancy widgets and app's.I downloaded mozzilafirefox and found the more familiar os hidden right behind.still learning how to use but I see it's potential.
I love this computer,I love the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
bought this laptop after my hp g72 went dead, and i must say it was a great buy. windows 8 is good but takes getting used to, the shipping was great as usual from amazon. it worked great after the initial out of box setup. connected to my wifi easily and removing the bloatware was the same
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
Purchased 2 of the Acer Aspire V3-731-4649, one for me and one for the wife. I've been building my own PC's since 2004 and right away I saw the potential in these laptops. Installed a Kingston SSD drive for the operation system and 8 GB SDRAM. Cloned the original drive to the new SSD and made a back-up clone on a older drive as a back-up. Formated the 500g slow drive it comes with (5400 rpm) and it's now used as a secondary drive (installed on the second drive bay) to store movies, photos, music.
The Acer is now as fast as any $1000 PC for a fraction of the price, the processor handles everything I need it do do and does it fast. This is not a gaming PC, it's an entertainment center.
The large screen is amazing as is the Dolby sound system.
I highly recommend this laptop.
on March 15, 2013
this is a very good computer easy to use fast I have had no problem and would recommend this computer to everyone looking for a inexpensive computer.
on April 2, 2013
The Acer laptop met all my expectations. The screen is very large and extremely clear and I liked the built-in wireless Wi-FI connectivity. I was totally unfamiliar with Windows 8, so that took some time to research on the web, but I found several sites that provided step-by-step instructions on how to use and revise the appearance and location for the apps on the menu screen. I've had the computer for two weeks and am very satisfied with everything. Even the Acer support line was very responsive. I have no regrets about this purchase.
on December 7, 2013
I've been using Acer products since back in 1998 or so, and I've never had any significant problems with them. Every system goes a bit (out of style/date) with the hardware it has inside of it, especially when it comes to laptops. I have a very nice Acer Desktop I've had since 2009 with a Core 2 Quad, 8 gigs of DDR3, which I upgraded with a 600w power supply and Nividia 660 GTX Graphics card. So it's a beast for gaming. These computers are just as if not more reliable than many/any out there. Especially HP, Dell and even Asus (especially the cheaper models). I've owned about 4 different Asus Republic Of Gamers laptops and had, DVD Burners fail, GPU's constantly fail, track pad failure, smashed keys and just super overall glitchy computers. Not saying they are all bad, but I think they rate them a bit to high. Acer should be higher up on the board. Everyone makes "cheaper" model computers, no matter what company.

Acer have always been about a good budget computer that gives you the most band for your buck, and this is no exception. Here are a list of the things I like and don't like. Also I will add my Mother has a similar 17.3 inch model I've owned for over 3 years and gave to her, along with an older 2007-08 model which is still working fine.

Great Keyboard, although trim your fingernails or you'll get that scratching nail on the chalkboard feel. I like the way they are built into the "body" of the computer as well. Which means they'll never "pop off".

The silver on glossy black is very sharp looking, actually one of the best looking laptops out there, especially since the 17.3's are becoming very obsolete.

DVD-Burner, never thought I'd see the day people live without discs, VERY important for back up, believe me the USB recovery rarely works. I've been working on computers for many years, i know this.

Speakers sound good depending on what your listening too. Music is pretty good, loud, somewhat tiny based on the Dolby Audio Center adjustments. Movies sound incredible, also depending on what it is. Overall B+

Screen is nice and actually overly bright in a darkened room, good color. More about it under Cons

Decent processor, it's no slouch for an entry level Pentium Dual Core, comes close to the "lower end 1st gen i3s", so nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done.

Some rare in a budget laptop, extra empty hard drive bay for dual drives, also extra RAM slot, instead of RAM on RAM. Very nice feature.

It's larges, but not really that heavy. fits on your lap comfortably without feeling like it's going to slide off of your lap. Runs quiet and cool.

Small bass woofer, would call it a sub, but does add dimension to the sound.

Downgraded mine to windows 7 going under the bios and using the legacy bios settings. Had an "extra" copy of windows 7, or you can use an modern Acer restore discs on it.

Upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM. Very quickly and easily.

Two 3.0 USB ports on one side, and two 2.0 on the other. Very well positioned. Of course HDMI is great.

Wireless is strong, but I have a Netgear adapter that adds even more, if you need it.

Keyboard while good, takes some getting use to for a speed typist like myself, very spread out over a large area. I'm just use to smaller keyboards.

Definitely a finger print magnet, can be removed easily with a microfiber rag, which should have came with it. Lost off a star for that, looks great but it a major pain IMO.

Good mouse/track pad, but a little on the sensitive side. Doesn't jump around, but the cursor slide is super sensitive. And when typing something like this review, you may as well just turn the whole thing off.

Not heavy but really bulky, keep away from children as they will/can scratch the top very very easily.

Screen viewing angle, well it looks magnificent for colors, brightness etc. But horrible in a dark room when black is present on the screen. Lots of blurred gamma at the bottom. Especially during a movie, and the viewing angle is really awful and you have to constantly adjust the screen accordingly. Loss of half a star.

So other then the forementioned this computer (especially for the price) is just great. I really liked the appearance, with the black and silver as I said one of the best looking large laptops you can find. Great design. I actually give it a 3.5, which is very good. I love Acer and will keep buying their products for as long as they make them. Had all the other brands and just, no. My father has an HP, less than a year old, already has issues, horrible track pad, screen is starting to dim, then lighten, very very slow. And feels super generic, compared to this. So if you're looking for an everyday great computer that will last you a long time, and isn't built for super video editing, or hyper gaming, this laptop it for you.
on April 3, 2013
A few glitches . . . . . Touch pad was a problem and had to download a new driver (an older driver than one on computer). At least I can type now without my cursor jumping all over the page! My touch pad is still not operating like i think it should. Sometimes I have to click numerous times to make it activate.

When I opened my computer for the first time, one of the keys was loose. i was successful in attaching it back, but then the other day, a different key popped off. it wasn't so easy to reattach. I hope this isn't going to be an ongoing issue.

Also, The shiny black finish is not something I would ever consider again. It shows fingerprints and smudges really bad. The buff grey that I had before was so much better.

This is my 2nd Acer and If this one holds up like the last one, it will be great.
on March 16, 2013
Easy setup. Beautiful visuals. Love the large keyboard and the separate number pad. Jury is still out on windows 8 seems like too much stuff that is distracting but I will keep trying to adapt.
on March 5, 2013
This came when they said it would, and hasn't disappointed me yet. Should buy stock in this company, since I noticed
my girls school uses Acer computers.