Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on January 27, 2014
I really like this computer so far! I'm not a computer expert or anything, but here were my overall impressions:

Pros:

Hard Drive (1 TB): Plenty of storage space and doesn't take too long to load or boot either! I've heard some people replace theirs with a SSD to speed things up, but I don't feel the need to as this this runs pretty quick and smooth already.

Processor (AMD A10 5757) great for gaming. Some people prefer the higher end i7s which is cool, but from what I've seen, this is a great processor especially for the price.

Graphics (Radeon HD 8750M) Having 2gb of dedicated graphics memory is awesome. The graphics and frame rates are great for gaming. You can find a bunch of benchmark tests online, and I haven't tested for them myself, but every game I've tried so far has been extremely smooth on high settings. That includes Skyrim, Half Life 2, Mass Effect 2 & 3, The Stanley Parable, and Fallout 3. Granted, some of these are slightly older games, and I haven't seen how games like Battlefield 3 & 4 will perform yet. But so far, this thing has been super solid for gaming.

Keyboard: I'm actually a big fan of the keyboard. It feels very accurate and has a number pad as well.

Size, Weight, and Appearance: This thing is so thin and light! It's metallic finish also looks really cool.

Battery: The battery life seems pretty average. It's hard for me to give a time estimate as it depends on what you're using it for. Netflix and games seem to run out the battery considerably fast which is to be expected. But overall, you can get around 3 hours of battery with heavy use and more with lighter use. Also, there's a power saver option that's easy to turn on.

Screen: I actually like the screen. It's pretty crisp, however it isn't full HD.

Windows 8: This may be an unpopular opinion, but I really like Windows 8. I've heard that people have issues with it slowing down their computer, but with the processor and GPU on this thing, it doesn't seem to be an problem. It's very sleek and so far, works great especially with a computer as fast as this one.

Multitasking: I've had multiple large downloads going at once while watching netflix and running a bunch of other programs on this thing just to see how it would fair. Didn't slow it down even a little. Download speeds were slowed, but not by much. Ex. about 2.5 mb/s on both Steam and Origin at the same time while browsing the web.

Cons (not many):

Track pad: It kind of sucks because the right and left mouse buttons are a part of the pad itself which makes it hard to click on anything without moving the mouse. It's not really that bad and gets better the more you get used to it, but it's easily remedied with an optical mouse. (highly recommend for gaming)

No CD/DVD drive!!!: This might be hard on some people, but I find I rarely end up needing to use a disk drive anyway. I ended up buying a $25 LG super portable USB CD/DVD burner drive that works very well when I need it and so the lack of a built in drive is a non-issue for me.

The screen: I'm not sure where to put the screen on this list. Yeah it's not full HD, but for a 720p screen, it looks good, and I find myself not caring too much.

Overheating: Both the power supply and the laptop can run a little hot when you're running a lot of things. It's not a huge concern, and also something to be expected I guess, but it's something to keep an eye on.

...

Overall, I highly recommend this laptop. Do your research, but you'll probably come back to this one for the price range.
on December 30, 2013
When I got my Aspire I realized that it did not come with a DVD/CD drive, it bothered me a little, but when I could not get the computer to recognize another device through the USB port I almost sent it back. Luckily I figured out the problem and kept the computer. I really love how slender it is, it is fast and responsive and will play computer games I like to play, and with a 1 terabyte hard drive I'm not seeing or worrying about it slowing down do to low memory space. The 8 gigs of ram helps keep every thing moving fast (a lot faster than my desk top). Most importantly being able to play my favorite game somewhere other than my desk top made my wife happy. I was going to go with 4 stars, but my happy wife pushed it back to five stars.
on May 6, 2014
I bought this system to use as a light gaming machine and I ended up being surprised at how well it works with my newer games. First, I want to explain why I rated it four stars as opposed to five stars. On its own, the laptop is very capable, but it does get warm and the fans will blow constantly while playing games. Also, the hard drive is a definite bottleneck in the system, which does hurt the system's performance. However, replace the hard drive with a solid state drive (make sure you get a 7mm drive), max the memory to 12 GB and get a cooling pad, this laptop is an easy five star rating.

Specs are available in a number of places. I don't have a lot to say on this other than once you get used to the keyboard, it works quite well. The biggest issue is the lack of status lights on the system. No Caps Lock, Num Lock or Scroll Lock indicators, no hdd activity lights. These are remedied with software easily enough. For those asking, this does not have a touchscreen nor a backlit keyboard. No optical drive is included, but a USB DVD drive can be had for less than $40.

The Aspire V5-552G-X852 ships with the original Windows 8. Acer does not supply Windows 7 drivers for this laptop, but if you search online you can find instructions for installing Windows 7 that aren't too terribly difficult to follow. Why Windows 7? Well, as much as I like Windows 8.1 (it's not as bad as people say it is), I tend to run a lot of older games which don't necessarily play nice with Windows 7, let alone Windows 8.

Okay, so now you may be asking yourself, what games have I tested with the laptop and what are the results? Well, I don't have any testing software, so these notes will be based on my own observations, not on "serious" testing. I do have 12 GB memory in the system, a cooling mat and the stock 5400 rpm hdd. Your mileage may vary:

Minecraft - I see this question asked and yes, the laptop does run Minecraft pretty well. I don't have all the settings maxed, but the game plays smoothly for the most part. There are some slowdowns when you first start the game as it is loading the world around you.

Skyrim - I'm running this with AA set to 8x and Anisotropic at 16x. No major slowdowns that I've seen so far. However, I haven't run into a dragon or major battle yet, so this may change.

The Sims 3 - A little disappointed that the system can't run this game well at full detail, but it runs okay at medium-high settings. The hard drive is a serious bottleneck here as loading the game takes long enough, but then saved games can take up to 5 minutes to load as well.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Max settings, no slowdowns that I've seen so far. This includes combat with multiple enemies.

Dragon Age games - Dragon Age: Origins plays well at max settings. Dragon Age II plays nearly as well, but there is some stuttering in the animation while walking. Combat doesn't seem to stutter, so I'm thinking the hard drive bottleneck may be coming in to play.

BioShock Infinite - Limited testing at both medium and full settings, the game runs fine. No real slowdowns detected.

I've tested a number of other games as well, but these are my usual stress testing games. So again, overall the system exceeded my expectations. With a decent sized solid state drive, it could be an even faster system. Definitely recommended for gaming on a budget.
on January 1, 2014
This laptop is slim, lightweight, yet powerful. I am able to play games like Minecraft, L4D2, Starbound, and Oblivion all on max settings without problem. I took off two stars for false advertising. In the specifications it says 8GB DDR3 Memory, but you only get 7. It also states that you get 1000 GB of space but you only get 931 GB. Those two things right there really bothered me because I hate false advertising with a passion but other than that this laptop is pretty good.
on July 24, 2015
I purchased this laptop for my little sister as a going-to-college present, and she loves it. I immediately replaced the HDD with a 1tb hybrid drive and this puppy boots in 12 seconds flat. I wouldn't know how fast it booted previously. Other than that, the keys are very solid and have a pleasingly soft tactile feel when in use. Screen brightness is great, battery life is above average. Surprisingly, this thing plays some games rather well. Bioshock 1 and 2 on max settings, Bioshock Infinite on medium-low. Kind of a weird mousepad though, the click is on the entire pad as apposed to a bar across the bottom. Not a huge deal, but a slight annoyance.
on May 2, 2014
All I can say is wow! I cannot believe how fantastic this computer is for the price ($589 at time of purchase). It easily has the loudest speakers I have ever heard on a laptop and they sound very rich with little to no distortion turned all the way up. The "surround" is believable and noticeable (sound feels like its next to your ears, not just projecting towards you). This computer is very snappy and handles gaming very well. It has gotten a little warm (top of keyboard area) when I have played Elder Scrolls Online (does mostly high level graphics very stable) for a couple of hours but the fans extract the heat very well. The screen can seem a little flimsy but you shouldn't be poking or pressing on the screen anyways; other than that the build quality is very nice. The only minor complaint I have about this laptop is how loud the fans can be, but they do their job very well and their function well outweighs the noise level, especially since the speakers can easily drown out said noise. I would rather have a cool running laptop that can be a little loud than a blistering one that is quiet. This is easily the best <$600 I have ever spent on a piece of tech and I am surprised this laptop is not in the $700-800 range. I would also include a complaint about the track pad but since I use a wireless mouse it does not bother me, and Windows 8 feels like it needs a touchscreen but I am running Class Shell (gives you a start button) and it doesn't feel a lot different from Windows 7.

Summary: If you want a slim-line 15.6" gorgeous laptop, with fantastic speakers, than can handle gaming, this has to be the best bang for your buck laptop out there.
on May 9, 2014
I wanted a computer that I would be able to do school work and still play some games *cough*Sims*cough*. I knew pretty much any computer can run Sims fantastic graphic card or not, but I liked that this one had a great graphics card and plenty of memory.
I saw that it didn't come with a disc drive though, but I happened to have a portable one that works just fine with it. I actually like the lack of disc drive because it makes it lighter when I carry it.
All of my programs run fantastically smooth and I have no game lag at all.
I even downloaded LoL and Archeblade and had no issues with either of those games.
It's a great laptop whether you want it for basic browsing or mediocre gaming.
on April 23, 2015
Awesome laptop, works great and delivers everything as per its hardware.

No glitches no hang nothing. I use it for designing and it works just as smooth on any software like, Photoshop CS6, Dreamweaver and Illustrator.

I can use it for heavy working as well.

Battery last 4 hours with internet usage and works pretty well. Its a great product by Acer.
on September 30, 2014
I got this as a regular/gaming laptop. I was stunned at how thin it was since the last laptop I bought was in 2009. It works great except I really don't like how the entire mouse pad is touch sensitive. It double clicks alot of times when I'm clicking the mouse. I'm also not to fond of the brushed metal look as it reflects ALL dirt/moisture and is almost impossible to clean. Performance wise, no problems and I have several games (The Sims 3 w/ several expansions, Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition, and several more) I must say though that it gets extremely hot when doing even basic things. I'm assuming that's due to the thinness and therefore smaller fans. I have a Targus lap cooler that keeps it in check.
on March 12, 2014
Well constructed, attractive, doesn't get fingerprinted easily.

Very good specs for the price. No optical drive or touchscreen, but more than makes up for it elsewhere.

Very happy with my purchase.