4.0 out of 5 stars Bright pico projector with limitations

Published 21 months ago by Fargorunner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright pico projector with limitations, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
I was looking forward to trying this out after reading the few available online reviews and Acer advertisements with the intention to use for laptop Powerpoint presentations and portable media center (camping trips, etc.). The standout features are low price and exceptional brightness compared to other pico projectors. Go to Acer support for links to specification sheet and user manual.

What is not mentioned in every review I've seen and actually wrongly stated in a few YouTube reviews, this will NOT work with Mac OS or Android OS systems. Seems that Acer conveniently left this out on their spec sheet, but it is clearly stated in their 10 page user manual. I was planning to use a cheap Dell Mini 9 netbook, portable speaker, and portable picoscreen to let the kids watch movies during camping trips. Forget about that plan (the video was choppy and VLC player actually crashed on the netbook which I've never seen before) since it turns out that netbooks do not provide enough CPU power to drive video playback on the C120 and you will need a minimum 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. This info is also suspiciously left out of the spec sheet and buried in the user manual. The netbook works fine if you just intend to mirror display for your laptop office applications.

It works beautifully using the USB 3.0 port on two of our other laptops, HP ENVY 17 and HP ENVY 14 Beats (disappointed I couldn't use our Macs). The video is bright and smooth which is the main reason I still gave 4 stars. I tried it out in a room during the daytime with window blinds down and I was surprised at how nice the projector worked on a plain wall which was clearly visible. 100 ANSI lumens is sweet for a pico projector. After 2 hours of video, the projector showed no signs of overheating that occurs in other pico models. Strictly speaking, this product should be classified as a "laptop projector" since it will not accept any other video sources compared to other pico projectors. On the other hand, no other brand below $350 can match the C120 brightness level and also not require an AC power source. I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge ultrabooks to come out next month which should allow plenty of battery time and easily run the video software. The unit works like a USB stick and appears as a CD Drive (F:) C120 DLUSB tray icon when you plug it in. This should Autoplay a program on the C120 called "Acer DisplayPal" which will mirror your laptop display at default setting of 800X600 but can be manually set to WXGA (1280 X 768). Perhaps a firmware update could include a Mac OS version of the program and I would easily bump this review up to 5 stars.

The packaging is nice and Acer includes a nice suede case that snugly fits the projector (without USB cable). The box also includes a 40W AC adpater and a USB 3.0 Y cable. (Note: you don't have to have a USB 3.0 port, but this will allow faster data transfer and more power to the projector). This inexpensive projector works nicely as a bright laptop projector, but only wish it wasn't restricted to Windows since media files are so much easier to use on a Mac. Lastly, since it does not have a lithium battery or other ports, this thing is feather light and literally fits in your palm. Hope this review helps out a few people like myself looking for a portable option to throw in the bag.

*** 9/18/12 ***
Still enjoying the pico projector which works beautifully with my new ultrabook SONY VAIO Z with Ivy Bridge and USB 3 connectivity. This ultraportable lasts 6 hours driving the pico projector at full specs and I can extend this to 10 hours with the thin battery slice. The multitude of options, 1080p matte screen, true i7 processor, and long battery life actually beats out even the latest Airbooks and this pico projector is the perfectr complement for mobile presentations. I don't even bother carrying around the AC adapter since this will last all day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon I rate 5 Stars, This Product, Less than 1, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
I try to keep my expectations reasonable. I knew that since this was small and low-priced, that I would be probably giving up some quality, but I had no idea. I do not know what the other reviewers were looking at. After examining it and reading everything that I could get my hands on to describe possible performance remedies, I was glad that Amazon took it back. Very, very dim. In a pitch black room with only a few feet of distance, it could be acceptable for a non-important meeting of friends. On no planet could this possibly function as a business tool. It is a toy at best. Thanks again Amazon. This is the first thing of hundreds of things that I have ever returned and I did not have to think very hard about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good portable projector for the money, but beware of lack of features..., October 15, 2012
Mike M (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
This projector works well for making business presentations in a moderately lit or dark room. It is much brighter than other pocket (PICO) projectors in this price range. Please note that you must use the AC adapter to achieve full brightness on this projector, and the adapter is larger and heavier than the projector! Be aware that this projector can ONLY be connected to a Microsoft PC/laptop (not a MAC, not an Android phone, not an IPhone, not a game system, and not your home theater equipment), and it only connects via USB (you need to have two free USB ports open). I purchased this projector to give business presentations to customers in conference rooms from my Windows7 laptop, and for that purpose it works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little Pico Projector, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
First Picon Projector i have used and its all that its adverstised. It is made for desktop presentations and for that use its great. The Mirror functionality is perfect for my work and will take whatever screen resolution your system is set for and project it. Use either the system power or add a power chord.
Its very small and compact, perfect for the traveler.

It does not have a lot of extras and focus is very basic, but i have found that using for just a desktop/confernece room table presentation it works just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Projector, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
Remember when purchasing that you get what you pay. I have owned this for over a year now, and while it is does not offer what a $2K projector would, it is sufficient in every way. I have used this on the fly to give PowerPoint's, did a display of an electronic book that was purchased, and set it up on my laptop for the kids to watch a movie using this. So again if you are expecting $2K quality then look elsewhere if you are looking realistically and on a budget this is your projector. When I purchased this is was just under $200.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless support from Acer - Galactics would not accept return, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
Tried to make this projector work with any connection other than the cable supplied. Will not work with anything other than the specialized cable from Acer. Support was awful. Buy another brand with better connection options.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Not compatible with Mac, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
The single platform compatibility information should be a bit more readily available since I did not see it anywhere on the website or product description. The picture appears to be OK and it's a cute little machine but really, Windows only in this day and age?

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
I was hesitant to purchase this item as the reviews were mixed,and when it was delivered was almost afraid to connect it BUT this device lived up to and surpassed my expectations. I set it up at home with my notebook in a room bathed by the setting sun and the picture was sharp and clear. I took it to school the next day to share some videos and presentations with my class and set it up in the IT room with my netbook and with one bank of fluorescent lights on. The output was more impressive. Some of my colleagues couldn't understand how such a small unit could produce a picture so clear. At least two of them put the unit on their must have list. No bells and whistles but a purchase I have no regrets or misgivings about.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., July 1, 2014
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
As advertised. Works perfect.

3.0 out of 5 stars There are not information that the product only work in Window environment, May 23, 2014
This review is from: Acer C120 Projector (Office Product)
I llike the product, the power of the light/lent is good for may needs and the size and wheight are very convinient.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›