Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on May 11, 2012
I was looking forward to trying this out after reading the few available online reviews and Acer advertisements with the intention to use for laptop Powerpoint presentations and portable media center (camping trips, etc.). The standout features are low price and exceptional brightness compared to other pico projectors. Go to Acer support for links to specification sheet and user manual.

What is not mentioned in every review I've seen and actually wrongly stated in a few YouTube reviews, this will NOT work with Mac OS or Android OS systems. Seems that Acer conveniently left this out on their spec sheet, but it is clearly stated in their 10 page user manual. I was planning to use a cheap Dell Mini 9 netbook, portable speaker, and portable picoscreen to let the kids watch movies during camping trips. Forget about that plan (the video was choppy and VLC player actually crashed on the netbook which I've never seen before) since it turns out that netbooks do not provide enough CPU power to drive video playback on the C120 and you will need a minimum 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. This info is also suspiciously left out of the spec sheet and buried in the user manual. The netbook works fine if you just intend to mirror display for your laptop office applications.

It works beautifully using the USB 3.0 port on two of our other laptops, HP ENVY 17 and HP ENVY 14 Beats (disappointed I couldn't use our Macs). The video is bright and smooth which is the main reason I still gave 4 stars. I tried it out in a room during the daytime with window blinds down and I was surprised at how nice the projector worked on a plain wall which was clearly visible. 100 ANSI lumens is sweet for a pico projector. After 2 hours of video, the projector showed no signs of overheating that occurs in other pico models. Strictly speaking, this product should be classified as a "laptop projector" since it will not accept any other video sources compared to other pico projectors. On the other hand, no other brand below $350 can match the C120 brightness level and also not require an AC power source. I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge ultrabooks to come out next month which should allow plenty of battery time and easily run the video software. The unit works like a USB stick and appears as a CD Drive (F:) C120 DLUSB tray icon when you plug it in. This should Autoplay a program on the C120 called "Acer DisplayPal" which will mirror your laptop display at default setting of 800X600 but can be manually set to WXGA (1280 X 768). Perhaps a firmware update could include a Mac OS version of the program and I would easily bump this review up to 5 stars.

The packaging is nice and Acer includes a nice suede case that snugly fits the projector (without USB cable). The box also includes a 40W AC adpater and a USB 3.0 Y cable. (Note: you don't have to have a USB 3.0 port, but this will allow faster data transfer and more power to the projector). This inexpensive projector works nicely as a bright laptop projector, but only wish it wasn't restricted to Windows since media files are so much easier to use on a Mac. Lastly, since it does not have a lithium battery or other ports, this thing is feather light and literally fits in your palm. Hope this review helps out a few people like myself looking for a portable option to throw in the bag.

*** 9/18/12 ***
Still enjoying the pico projector which works beautifully with my new ultrabook SONY VAIO Z with Ivy Bridge and USB 3 connectivity. This ultraportable lasts 6 hours driving the pico projector at full specs and I can extend this to 10 hours with the thin battery slice. The multitude of options, 1080p matte screen, true i7 processor, and long battery life actually beats out even the latest Airbooks and this pico projector is the perfectr complement for mobile presentations. I don't even bother carrying around the AC adapter since this will last all day.
on October 15, 2012
This projector works well for making business presentations in a moderately lit or dark room. It is much brighter than other pocket (PICO) projectors in this price range. Please note that you must use the AC adapter to achieve full brightness on this projector, and the adapter is larger and heavier than the projector! Be aware that this projector can ONLY be connected to a Microsoft PC/laptop (not a MAC, not an Android phone, not an IPhone, not a game system, and not your home theater equipment), and it only connects via USB (you need to have two free USB ports open). I purchased this projector to give business presentations to customers in conference rooms from my Windows7 laptop, and for that purpose it works well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2012
I try to keep my expectations reasonable. I knew that since this was small and low-priced, that I would be probably giving up some quality, but I had no idea. I do not know what the other reviewers were looking at. After examining it and reading everything that I could get my hands on to describe possible performance remedies, I was glad that Amazon took it back. Very, very dim. In a pitch black room with only a few feet of distance, it could be acceptable for a non-important meeting of friends. On no planet could this possibly function as a business tool. It is a toy at best. Thanks again Amazon. This is the first thing of hundreds of things that I have ever returned and I did not have to think very hard about it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2012
First Picon Projector i have used and its all that its adverstised. It is made for desktop presentations and for that use its great. The Mirror functionality is perfect for my work and will take whatever screen resolution your system is set for and project it. Use either the system power or add a power chord.
Its very small and compact, perfect for the traveler.

It does not have a lot of extras and focus is very basic, but i have found that using for just a desktop/confernece room table presentation it works just fine.
on December 30, 2013
Remember when purchasing that you get what you pay. I have owned this for over a year now, and while it is does not offer what a $2K projector would, it is sufficient in every way. I have used this on the fly to give PowerPoint's, did a display of an electronic book that was purchased, and set it up on my laptop for the kids to watch a movie using this. So again if you are expecting $2K quality then look elsewhere if you are looking realistically and on a budget this is your projector. When I purchased this is was just under $200.
on July 5, 2015
This is the 2nd time we've purchased this product. We have two offices with two marketing departments. I purchased it the first time because we needed a mobile projector for brief (15-30 minute) presentations. Most of our clients don't have projectors or screens. We typically will project onto a white wall. The projector works well in most small room settings when there is minimal light (it does not have to be pitch dark for us to have an effective presentation). I always try to use the power cord during the presentation, which makes the projector is significantly brighter.

The projector makes very little noise, and there is very little heat generated. In terms of mobility, we've been incredibly impressed. It fits nicely into a pretty full computer bag. We do not need a separate carrying case for the device. The weight is not noticeable. The power cord and USB also do not take up much space.

I would not recommend this for any important business presentations or for large groups. It is also not meant for a lighted area or large ballroom / conference room. I can't comment about gaming or watching movies, but I'm assuming there are significantly better options for those activities. This also won't have the high level features of lens shift (vertical or horizontal) - at least not that I know of thus far.

Overall, it's important to keep your expectations realistic and use it for the intended purposes. For us, this item works great in small office / group settings where there is minimal light.
on April 24, 2014
I use this projector for business meetings when the conference room is not available.
Plugs right into my windows 8 laptop launches and I'm ready to go. I don't usually carry the power plug with me and the USB 3 plug provides the juice to get a reasonable image brightness on a off-white wall. (Real World results)
You don't have to keep a battery charged which is nice and makes the unit light weight.

I went on vacation and was able to give a slide show of all the adventures of the trip the night before we left.
Put a sheet on the wall over some picture frames and created an instant home theater. I brought the power supply with me and it made a noticeable difference in the brightness and contrast quality.
Also used it to watch some Disney movies with the kids and it got by ok because of the bright colors. I wouldn't use it for an action movie like batman or Fast& Furious those movies need tons of contrast to look right. (My Opinion)
Is it the greatest projector in the pico class? Probably not any more but all my clients and my family think it was really cool and does the job it was designed to do.
on November 23, 2012
I was hesitant to purchase this item as the reviews were mixed,and when it was delivered was almost afraid to connect it BUT this device lived up to and surpassed my expectations. I set it up at home with my notebook in a room bathed by the setting sun and the picture was sharp and clear. I took it to school the next day to share some videos and presentations with my class and set it up in the IT room with my netbook and with one bank of fluorescent lights on. The output was more impressive. Some of my colleagues couldn't understand how such a small unit could produce a picture so clear. At least two of them put the unit on their must have list. No bells and whistles but a purchase I have no regrets or misgivings about.
on October 31, 2015
This is an excellent quality projector for what I needed: Something that is very portable and can display high quality photographs and videos, which are generally an important component of my presentations. Even in a semi-dark room, I was able to enlarge the picture to a very good size, and everyone was able to see it clearly.

My one complaint is that the USB cable supplied with the projector was not compatible with Windows 8.1 (I kept getting a missing DLL error and couldn't find the right DLL to download). I had to do some online research to figure out that it needs an older version USB cable. Once I found an older cable at home, it worked like a charm. So, just be aware of this caveat.
on February 21, 2015
Purchased after a very short investigation of options online. Needed for a 50th b-day party to project slide show from PC to wall. I would rate the picture quality as very good. I later projected a movie streamed from Netflix onto a large wall and again was surprised at the quality of the picture. No issues with video that I saw, as I know others were asking about that feature. I did have some issues with the software at first on my Windows 8 laptop. Ended up just changing to a different USB slot & everything loaded fine. Good product if you just want to project from your laptop. 4 stars only for the lack of HDMI port (wasn't expecting one).