2,797 Reviews
 (1,902)

1,571 of 1,639 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT PORTABLE COMPUTER DEVICE AT A GREAT PRICE!
I have an Acer C720 ($199) and an Acer C720P ($299) and both are amazing machines. If you dont mind plunking down the extra $100 for the touchscreen then go for it but really you will do fine without it and save yourself $100 especially if you are buying these as gifts like I did for others in my family.

Here is a list of the APPS I use on both and it runs them...
Published 12 months ago by drkcope

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent "backup" computer. If you are low on funds, it can be your main machine in a pinch.
First, the hardware.

I have two Macbook Pro machines (a 2009 and a 2010 model), so I have relatively high standards. This is not Apple quality, but it is superior to most cheap Windows machines and far superior to netbook machines.

The overall build is 4-star. The keyboard is decent, and short of being backlit, it is almost on-par with Apple's...
Published 12 months ago by Jeffrey Stanley

2.0 out of 5 stars High-pitch noise and crappy trackpad, December 29, 2013
Kathryn Featherston (Princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I love Google -- I use their apps for everything -- and I definitely use my home computer primarily for email and online shopping, so I figured a Chromebook would be perfect; however, after having only a MacBook for the last few years, I'm having a very hard time adjusting to the lag and overall inaccuracy of the trackpad on the Chromebook. This alone would be no big deal considering how little I paid for this guy, but on top of that, there is this awful, faint, high-pitched sound that intermittently comes and goes while I'm using the Chromebook. Many people may not be able to hear it, but if you have sensitive ears (i.e., you've experienced going into someone else's home or office and you need to leave because either a TV, computer or lamp is making a sound that's driving you insane and nobody else can hear it), you might want to steer clear. I Googled, and according to a couple of threads on Reddit, I'm not the only one who has this problem with the C720. Aside from these two complaints, it's definitely a great product for the price, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known about these drawbacks in advance.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a chromebook should be!, January 1, 2014
I've owned several chromebooks. I've owned the original CR-48 prototype, the Samsung Series 5, and the Samsung Series 3. I can honestly say this is the best chromebook so far. The build quality is what I would expect for $199, but it is solid and light. Many reviewers complain about the screen, but it is fine (on par with the Samsung series 3). It is a matte finish and you have to appreciate the anti-glare viewing you will get outside.

The major selling points for me regarding this chromebook are the battery and the processing power. I have many computers, but nothing browses the web and renders web pages faster than this chromebook. It does boot in 7 seconds or less and you can have many tabs open and still browse with great speed. The keyboard and mouse are sufficient too. I would put them in the "average" category and they get the job done. There are no issues and it is easy enough to type that I am writing this review on the chromebook.

The battery life is also exceptional. I easily get 7 hours on a charge and rarely have to carry the (also light and small) charger. That is a plus for me as a student and a teacher.

The C720 won't win any beauty contests (unlike the HP 11 Chromebook) but the beauty is on the inside. If you want a chromebook, this is the best of the bunch in this price range. I will not be getting rid of this chromebook anytime soon. This is what a chromebook should be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, compact computer with great usability, January 17, 2014
If you've been averse to Chromebooks before, you're like me. There was always something that held me back. Build quality, lack of computing power, bad battery life, etc. This one caught my eye, with its specs anyway. The design of the computer is understated, but the color scheme is nice, as well as the build quality for a budget computer. Expansion slots are rather generous for this price point as well, featuring USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, an SD card slot, and an HDMI out so I can expand my desktop and watch movies or videos on my TV if I want. The only downside is that the shiny black bezel around the screen is rather reflective. I'm not really sure why they went that route when the rest of the materials are pretty on point.

The performance and battery life are where this computer shines the most though. With only 2GB of RAM, you might think that it will be sluggish. You'd be totally wrong. With the newest Intel Celeron Processor with the Haswell Architecture, this thing not only performs well above its class in speed, it simply outdoes any of the previous Chromebooks that are anywhere near this price range. Startup is merely seconds. That processor also helps keep battery life very good. I've been using this computer going on 3 weeks now and I've noticed days where I used it for 7+ hours and I still had decent battery life remaining. A lot of this depends on what you're using your computer for; whether you're working on text in WorkFlowy, have 8 windows open in Chrome, or have your screen brightness up pretty high watching videos. I typically keep mine at around 2/3 brightness, as I don't work in very bright places, nor do I need it to be bright.

The keyboard is very nice, even though the spacing in the chiclet keys take some getting used to if you're coming from a more traditional PC keyboard. The Function keys at top are replaced by just keys that do functions. Makes it simple and way easier to use than some more feature-heavy Windows laptops. The speakers, which are underneath the laptop, are actually pretty decent considering how small they are. I prefer to just use headphones anyway, so that's not really a deal breaker for me. The touchpad is really nice too, considering the price. Multi-finger gestures work flawlessly and the feel of the pad is very comfortable. The "click" of the pad, if you press down, is pretty noisy, but you really don't need to use it at all.

I've been getting lots of questions from friends and co-workers about this little machine and I can't help but highly recommend it, just as long as you know what you're delving into. There is a learning curve if you've never used ChromeOS before, which I hadn't, but there are handy how-to's and guides built into the OS to help you on your way. As ChromeOS gets updates and the community of WebApps expands, these machines are going to the be at the forefront of a new revolution of computing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control - go with a Samsung, October 8, 2014
I am an IT Technician for a smaller school district and felt I had to review this product... We needed about 400 chromebooks for our district, and chose the Acer over the Samsung because we felt this one seemed sturdier (while the Samsung XE303 seemed a little flimsy). While that is true, the quality control seems to be terrible. After about a month of use, we have sent at least 15 almost-new chromebooks in for repair already. We ordered a large batch of Samsungs last year and only had 1 or 2 that were defective. Issues with the Acers center mostly on the screen backlight, with several other issues as well.

In addition, we have found that Acer's customer support is frustrating to deal with as well (which seems to be located overseas!) They rarely offer to pay the shipping for the defective chromebook repair, and are just a pain to deal with in general. In contrast, Samsung has excellent customer service with clear-speaking representatives and will pay the shipping both ways without question.

In summary, while the Acers seem sturdier, the Samsungs seem to be more reliable overall, and have much better warranty support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic product, far exceeded my expectations, January 3, 2014
I've been reading about Chromebooks all year; the concept was pretty intriguing, despite the fact that I have a bunch of other/similar devices: an entry-level Sony Vaio from 2011, an X51 Alienware desktop PC for gaming, a 2011 Kindle Fire, and a Moto X smartphone. So why add a Chromebook?

I wanted a multi-use device that could...

Stream music from my Amazon Cloud
Stream instant video from Amazon (great selection of kids stuff) and Netflix
Run full versions of websites
Have a full keyboard, for writing emails or various other things

The Chromebook does all this stuff for basically the same price as a tablet, but it is much closer to a full function PC than a tablet is. I like it as a video device far more than a tablet. I like it for using the web far more than a tablet or smartphone. For items not related to gaming, it has basically replaced my laptop in its entirety.

About Chrome OS and this device: I'm currently streaming music from Amazon with 9 Chrome tabs open and have no issues at all. I have a hard time understanding what people need 4GB RAM for with this device; how is it useful to open 15+ Chrome tabs? I haven't run into any performance issues at all. The boot time is absurd. 7 seconds may be underestimating. It also shuts off instantly when you hit shutdown.

Thus far I've had no real issues with the Chrome store or apps; Google Docs is fine so far for working with MS Word items, and in fact Google Drive is now installed on all my devices because I've started doing my writing on this device. Remote Desktop lets you connect to any of your Windows PCs for using Windows programs through those computers if you really need to, though I imagine I'd have to be using this more for work to need that for anything.

I've used this to watch a decent amount of content on Netflix and Amazon Instant. The screen is... ok. It isn't all that bright and won't "wow" you but as a portable mini-TV it does the job. My son loves watching his kids shows on this, which lets us reclaim the real TV for our purposes. Speaker quality is likewise functional but won't blow you away. Headphones are the way to go when possible. As it relates to both of these, I'm perfectly happy with the quality for the price.

I didn't have any issues with the keyboard, I'm normally a 90 WPM typer and am probably a bit slower on this, more due to the size than anything. I actually like the trackpad to be honest. Not sure why folks don't. It isn't the worlds greatest but is way better than the one on my Dell PC from work and perhaps marginally worse than the one on my Vaio. My basic Logitech wireless mouse worked fine with the Chromebook, but I stopped using it pretty quickly as I got used to the trackpad. The dual-finger scrolling and chrome forward/backward helps a lot.

Battery life is pretty nuts. I've gotten about 7 hours of pure video streaming. At the high end, just off the charger, you get some arbitrarily high readings (like 9+ hours) but I think the claimed 8 hours is probably accurate.

The fact that you can "hack" this thing into installing Ubuntu is awesome. I haven't done it yet, but the concept is very cool. Native gaming in Chrome OS is miserable outside a few highlights; I'd say the main one is the Chrome version of Bastion, which suggests companies COULD make some great games if they wanted to. But with Ubuntu, you can theoretically play Linux-compatible games you may have; I know I have a bunch from Humble Bundle (such as FTL) that should run great on this laptop, even if it wasn't meant to do so. I bet it can run older games very well also, such as Half Life 2 or the original Portal. My next project is to play around and see if I can pull off Steam and if the 16GB SSD can handle something like that. If so, I'd give this thing... six stars? Can't really give it more than I already am.

Anyway... know what you're getting into here. This isn't a full Windows laptop. You can install Linux and access a lot of full-featured laptop programs that way, but even still, your hard drive space is limited and this may be beyond the basic users capabilities. If you do video compiling, music or photo editing, gaming, etc. as your main laptop activities, this would need to be a 2nd computer for you. If you find yourself using alternate devices like a smartphone or tablet in your house for watching movies, listening to music, or browsing the web, you might get great mileage out of this device. I know I have.

Highly, highly recommended device. I love this thing.

EDIT: Just over 90 days of use later, and I can tell you that I've completely fallen in love with this device. It is the fastest Chrome device in my house, far faster than the dual-core Sony Vaio it replaced and even faster than my core i7 Haswell gaming desktop. I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, both XFCE and Unity, through both USB 3.0 and SD card, and played Minecraft and Steam games on this thing. The batter life is still epic. What else is there to say? This is, hands down, the single best value buy in all of computing right now.

If you want to read more about Chromebooks and you're not sure if they're right for you, check this out: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Need, Nothing I Don't, January 18, 2014
I've had my chromebook for a couple weeks now and it's just the perfect thing for me. I'm not a gamer and I'm not a customization-obsessed geek, I'm just an average computer user who likes to surf the net, process photos, do a little word processing and spreadsheet action, stream videos, read some books.

It's true that without wifi access it's kind of a doorstop, but not entirely. You can still work on documents or spreadsheets, respond to emails (although you can't send them until wifi is restored) and play a wide variety of simple offline games when there's no internet. You can plug in a USB and watch a movie, if you planned ahead.

The thing charges completely in less than 2 hours and my experience has been that it holds a charge anywhere between 5.5 and 11 hours depending on what you are doing. If you are steadily streaming one video after another, it's closer to 5.5 hours; if you're just web surfing and reading articles, it lasts much longer. I LOVE how fast it boots up and shuts down. I love that there is virtually no lag, ever, when I want to stream videos or music, and that pages load super-fast, even with a couple of dozen tabs open.

The size is perfect for me - the keyboard is ever so slightly smaller than a normal keyboard, but it is close enough that I don't really have to alter my typing at all to use it. I had an Eee before and the keys were too small and it slowed me down, but that is not a problem with the chromebook. The screen is big enough to be pleasant watching movies and to easily view webpages without having to scroll all over, but the chromebook is small and light enough for me to put in my purse to carry with.

I was torn between buying a chromebook or a tablet, but I am so glad I went with the chromebook. When I want to type, I want to REALLY type - and doing anything longer than a Twitter update on a tablet just feels uncomfortably fiddly to me. The chromebook gives me all of the benefits of a tablet but with a bigger screen and keyboard to make all of my tasks more comfortable. And for under $200 total? Get outta here.

EDIT: I've had it for a few months now and I am still totally in love. This is the best $200 I have ever spent. Seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Chromebook. Satisfied!, December 28, 2013
I was looking for portable, handy laptop that I could carry anywhere. So, I was looking for light, long lasting laptop. At first, I marked Macbook, and almost purchased when I saw price drop in last Oct.
At first, this Chromebook was not attracted because of its OS which does not have useful app's for engineer. However when I found out that I could run Ubuntu, I googled detailed info like performance and usability. And I decided.
It's been almost three weeks since I purchased this one, and I almost satisfied with my c720 with Ubuntu 13.10 OS installed.

Pro.
1. light enough to carry everywhere, even in my messenger bag.
2. long battery life. (I noticed that I can use more than 6 hours, which is enough for my day to day journey.)
3. performance. (It feel like almost as fast as my office laptop which have 2TB 7200rpm hard disk with dual core ivy bridge CPU, even though it is actually slower. I guess that 16G of SSD and latest intel CPU may counts.)

Con.
1. touchpad is not responding well like other laptops do. I couldn't find the reasons, but it works well when I put my c720 on my palm.
2. rough edge of plastics. because the finish is not as clean as HP or Samsung that I've been using. it looks cheap.
3. keyboard is not properly mounted. it feels like upper left center of keyboard is not properly mounted.

Even though it has some con's, with $199, it feel like bargain. I can now do my jobs like developing softwares and managing servers from anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, December 5, 2013
If I would of known how awesome this little laptop is I would of bought one for everyone in my family this X-mas. I was pleasantly surprised to watch Netflix through the HDMI with no problem at all. SD card with HD videos straight out of my camera played instantly with out any dropped frames. Special web based scripting services worked perfectly for my job. The sound is good for a laptop and can get really loud when watching YouTube cooking videos in a noisy kitchen. The Chrome browser launch is nearly instantaneous. The webcam has no latency and a fast frame rate. Absolutely nothing lagged or flaked out. Not one annoying pop up or distraction. This little laptop is so perfect and costs $80 less than Apple Care on the new Macbook Pro ($279 Apple Care $1399 Macbook Pro) The cost, speed, capability and battery life of this particular model make for a product not seen before. I find much more uses for this laptop with the low anxiety/price. If I lose it or it gets wet/smashed it's not the end of the world. I didn't buy a case because I'm hoping it will eventually become all scratched and worn like a pair of favourite jeans. Chromebooks have a real future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, January 12, 2014
I personally purchased the 4gb ram version, but it's basically the same thing...

I honestly love this thing, I use it constantly, but this is due tot he fact that I use chrome os AND debian linux. Many people that have given this a poor rating is because they believe it needs internet access to do anything. They obviously bought this type of computer for the wrong reason, and not enough knowledge. If you want to use it as an only online computer in chrome os, go ahead... But that is only using half of the potential, if not less, that this machine has to offer.

Personally I use this computer for programming, and as a media device to randomly plug into tv's and such. I also use this any time I am not at home, seeing as it is so portable and has an easy 10 hours of battery life, its great.

Another reason people dislike this product is because it can't play games. Well it can... Personally I don't game on this computer, I have another computer dedicated to that, and I use the chromebook to be productive, but if I really wanted to, I could install steam on any decent version of linux (debian, arch, fedora, centos, ubuntu, etc.) and play games. I have seen people play Skyrim on this chromebook (albeit on the lowest graphics settings).

Overall, it is a great computer, but you should really try and unleash the full potential of it yourself, or else you won't be having the best time you could with your new chromebook.

EDIT: An easy way to make your chromebook run chrome os and another version of linux is to google search "crouton" and go to the "dnschneid/crouton · GitHub" entry, and follow the instructions. It basically installs the chosen distro of linux inside chrome os, and you run it inside chrome os, allowing you to seamlessly switch between both os's at any time with a simple key combo. Personally I use Debian Jessie with LXDE, if you don't know what I just said, just follow the instructions, which will give you Ubuntu with XFCE.

Also, to do this you need to have your chromebook in developer mode. You can do this by:

-Press and hold the Esc+F3 (Refresh) keys, then press the Power button. This enters recovery mode.
-Now, press Ctrl+D (no prompt). It will ask you to confirm, then the system will revert its state and enable developer mode.
-Press Ctrl+D (or wait 30 seconds for the beep and boot) at the white boot splash screen to enter Chrome OS.
(copied from arch wiki)

GOING INTO DEV MODE FOR THE FIRST TIME WILL ERASE ANYTHING YOU HAD ON YOUR CHROMEBOOK, SO BACK IT UP!

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what I needed, May 9, 2014
This review is from: Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, 2GB & 32GB SSD) (Personal Computers)
Background: I'm a student, and I was looking for a light and portable (under 3lb) computer which could quietly and quickly handle multitasking use of a word processor, netflix, social stuff (email/FB) and spotify. My criteria was pretty simple. I also love Google products. I've had this laptop for ~3 weeks, and I love it.

The best:
- It's so light. Seriously.
- $250. So cheap. SO CHEAP.
- It boots up completely in 5-7 seconds.
- 8.5 hours of battery life. Actually.
- The fan is SO QUIET. I can't hear it at all. (On my old laptop, the fan was so hot you couldn't have the computer on your lap. It was also so loud, you couldn't hear music playing off the built in speakers.)
- Once you get used to it, you will use the keyboard shortcuts. This is one thing I particularly love about Chrome OS. On a Windows computer, you've got so many different programs running from different developers, and so you're limited in your shortcuts. But when everything is Chrome, you can standardize your shortcuts. I use them all the time. Everything runs in Chrome windows, so I'm constantly using new window, new tab, close window, minimize window, etc. Also, the built in "refresh" "back" "forward" "full screen" and "switch window" buttons on the keyboard are gold.
- Also, two finger scroll. Yes.
- If you're working late at night and want minimal brightness... The low settings on this are fantastic.
- I bought the 32GB version, and I doubt I'll use all the memory. Also, there are two USB ports on this thing, so you can always plug in storage. (FYI, speaking of ports, there is also an SD card slot, and a mini HDMI port.)
- The speakers are surprisingly loud and decent quality. You won't have any problems (at all) with spoken-word audio. I can happily tolerate listening to music on them too, but I prefer headphones (that's kind of a given, this is a cheap chromebook after all. I wasn't expecting a fancy media device).

The things you need to know, which could be good or bad or maybe you don't care:
- It's a Chrome OS. Duh.
- The keys aren't backlit (but fyi, they're not uncomfortably small).
- There is no CD/DVD drive.
- There's no delete key, but you won't miss it.
- Also no caps lock key, but it's replaced by a search key which accesses all your files and apps as well as the internet.
- There's no page up or page down buttons, but again, you probably won't notice once you get used to shift+up arrow/down arrow.
- 11.6" screen, again, duh. I like it, actually. My 16in screen feels unnecessarily large.
- In direct sunlight, it's usable, but not the best. It has a semi-matte screen, so there's no reflection, it's just a little dark. I haven't had any problems the few times I've used it outside.
- The laptop comes with, like, ten free GoGo In-Flight wifi passes.
- It doesn't attract many fingerprints.
- Apparently it does automatic security updates. So that's cool. I noticed an unobtrusive pop-up the other day notifying me I was safe, so I guess it's working.

The bad:
- The ports are kind of tight. This isn't really significant - don't rip your headphones or USB out, just exercise reasonable care and you shouldn't need to worry.

If you can handle Chrome OS, and you want something portable and fast with awesome battery life... This a wonderful computer. No complaints.

Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, 2GB & 32GB SSD)
Used & New from: $179.99