Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Acer ColorBoost II Projector (X1261P)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 27, 2011
I needed a replacement for my aging and fading projector, which I use for home-cinema purposes. This one seemed to have good specs (XGA and high brightness) for the low price. Setup was really easy, the unit is very compact and light weight, comes with a nice carrying case for those who need it. I watched the latest Pirates movie as a test case. This is a movie with a lot of dark night scenes, which made watching it on my old projector a headache. With the new one, it was great!! Brightness / contrast / color definition are all really good. I highly recommend this projector for home cinema for those who (like me) cannot afford to throw in a couple grand. Since its so small and light and comes with a carrying case, it would seem to me to be a good deal for office / business use, too.
on October 6, 2011
Wassup people!
I had been searching amazon for months to buy me a projector on my bday. Went thru 100s of projectors, compared each of their attributes on external sites, and then finally decided to go for this model. Here's what i feel about this proj:

1. No setup required. Plug n Play.
2. The warm colors projected by this is a.w.e.s.o.m.e
3. Contrast could have been a lil higher (though in this range, this model has the best among other projs, cept 1161p which has 4000:1)
4. Plays any format, any "p" (720, 1080) seamlessly.
5. Good native res, n pretty good scaling fr non native res too.
6. 3D WORKS!! (all u need is a graphics card capable to refresh at 120hz!)
7. Good brightness. You can see things in white light, in daylight a lil lesser.
8. Text is sharp. i have a nearly 6' high image in my room and text is great.

If you looking for a budget proj, this will more than do for you.
i put avatar (blu ray) and was blown away by the quality of the projection.

The only thing that bothers me is that one of the edges is lil soft. On googling this i found that one needs to have the proj at right angles to the screen (n my wooden desk isn't exactly straight :)).

also, playing games is simply amazing!
put up NFS undercover - was blown away agn
put up Assassins creed - simply loved the graphics

my LCD now sits in the corner. Am hooked to this thing ;)

before buying this though, do know that this is NOT a home theatre proj with 50k:1 contrast and all.
The reason i bought this even though it doesn't have hdmi, coz its worth only if u buying a top notch proj to have an hdmi (for xbox ps3 wateva)

Get/download good hi-def movies, hook up your sound system and you are ready!

hope this review helps ;)

UPDATE as on 25th Sept 2013:

Still going strong, still love it as much as i did when i bought it. I have seen other costlier projectors, and what a laugh riot i had looking at their quality!
I do have an issue now though, while starting up it takes 2-3 minutes to set itself, it flickers all possible colors and after abt 2-3 mins of constant flickering it settles down. I think that may be coz my luggage was abused on the flight few months back after which this started.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Cheers!
on November 14, 2012
I got this projector for doing a slideshow at my wedding, and it was plenty bright to do the trick. (Bright room, 10' picture).
I now use it for a home theater projector, and it is OK at that. It doesn't have HDMI, only analog inputs, and VGA.

The picture it produces is super bright and vibrant, but at closer viewing distances, the screen door effect is apparent.

So, is it a great projector? No, not really.

Is it an adequate projector? Yah. It gets the job done, and is well priced. I don't regret my purchase.
on April 2, 2013
I had a BenQ PB7200 for several years and the bulb went out. I had replaced the bulb once and didn't want to invest any more in this old model. So, I wanted to get something inexpensive because projector technology has come a long way since I got that BenQ.

This Acer is built very well. The brightness level is excellent. Contrast is very similar to my old projector. I really like the color warmth as well. I have it mounted in my basement, upside down with a ceiling mount.

Pros:

- quiet fan - even quieter in economy mode
- great color warmth
- brightness is as good as I've seen with the several projectors I've used at home and work
- setup is easy
- low price

Cons:

- the mounting points are a different size thread than the universal mounting kit I already have
- no secondary VGA input (not complaining since the cost makes great bang for the buck)
- the "throw distance" meant that I had to mount this further away from the screen than my old projector

Reliability can only be determined with usage over time. I've only had it a week but I am very pleased with the purchase.

I haven't tested it with any video games. I mainly watch videos. The image quality is great eventhough it's not HD. Most of the videos I have are below 720P and look really good on this projector.
on April 13, 2012
I got this to use as a video projector in my man cave. I know it's not a proper home theater projector but it clocks in at around half the price of an entry level HT projector. I did weeks of research and this unit had the best reviews for the money by far.

I was a little bummed that it only came in black because my walls are white but it's not a deal breaker. I like how the remote stores in the unit and acts as an-on board control panel. I also like how it came with a small padded tote bag with a pocket for the power and video cables. I got a 25' component to VGA cable on Amazon and it matched right up with my DVD player. It doesn't seem to auto detect 16:9 vs 4:3 from my DVDs, even though I have that option turned on. My DVD player in that room is kind of old and basic though, so it may have something to do with that. I bet my DirecTV DVR would probably kick it over. It's a quick fix with the remote anyway. The auto keystone correction feature is great and made set up a breeze. It's very quiet, especially in Eco mode. Little fella pumps a lot of heat out of the vent. I was surprised. Not a bad thing, just an item of note. It's very light weight and rather compact. Smaller than I was expecting.

Picture quality is very good. I had it throwing a 95" diagonal on textured wall while I was playing with it out of the box and it looked good. I'm only going to do 80" when I mount it and it will project on a screen so things will only get better. It's bright enough to use in daylight with marginal wash but it certainly looks best in a dark room. I'm glad that I won't need to go to the extent of putting up blackout curtains over my blinds for daytime viewing. I haven't tweaked the settings yet but the color and contrast looked good in video mode. I'll fine-tune once the screen it up. There is a little bit of rainbow and motion blur during fast action sequences, especially if you're moving your head/eyes around. That's to be expected from this type of projector and is at a more than acceptable level, in my opinion. Reducing the throw size should also help that a bit. The manual zoom is a bit limited but since I'm mounting mine it won't be an issue. I played some audio through the built in speakers during setup just for grins. It was adequate at mid-volume. Should work fine for conference room purposes if you need it for that sort of thing.

I'd recommend that you get a mount that's made specifically for this model. I got a universal mount and it didn't work very well. There are only 3 receivers on the underside of the projector and they are in a tightly clustered offset triangle pattern and inset deep into the case. I had to modify my mount to get it to line up with all three holes and buy longer M3 bolts in order to get it attached.

For an entry level HT projector I don't know that you can beat this.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
This projector far surpassed my expectations.
The image gets extremely sharp and the colors hold vibrant no matter what color I project an image onto.
When switched to 16:9 ratio, an HD picture is reproduced surprisingly well despite losing some resolution in the projector's native 1024x768 processing.
It can output a watchable image with some ambient light, with 50-60" or so still being reasonable, and throws a brilliant wall-height picture in a dark or at least dim room.

I had to get a VGA to component cable (VGA male to component female), as the projector does not come with the RGB conversion for typical component inputs, so if you're shopping for a budget "theatre" projector keep this and perhaps a component switcher in mind.
That's one minor downside. The inputs are clearly documentsed, so it's not a disappointment, just a consideration.

I also wish the throw ratio lent to a bigger image from a shorter distance for smaller rooms, but that's circumstantial on my part. With the space I have, I still get larger than 60" which is pretty darned nice. Also, noted in the specs. If you do some research this will not come as a surprise either. Can't blame the product, as the specs are listed.

For my television and movie watching needs, this projector far exceeds the expectations I'd set for something not classified as home theatre calibre. I would certainly recommend it to someone not looking for the highest resolution or state-of-the-art, but a versatile and well-priced entry into projectors that produces great images onto what may not be an ideal projection surface.
on June 27, 2012
This is a great projector for the money. I did a lot of shopping around before choosing this one. I bought it for my college dorm room, which i realized would perfectly suit a projector. We had solid white pull down blinds over a big window, and a cabinet above the door which was centered with the blinds. Anyway, it worked incredibly well. Here are some pros and cons of my experience with it since September 2011:

Pros:
-Good quality image. It looks great in the dark and surprisngly good in the light. We played some 1080p HD videos on youtube (often) which play in full HD and look amazing.
-Excellent customer service. See cons for explanation

Cons:
-No HDMI port. But I knew that going in and use S-Video and DVI so it works out
-Broke after 5 months...but that was probably my own fault. The cabinet wasn't ventilated and I'm pretty sure over time the projector overheating caused somethign to melt on the board. I sent it back to ACER and they promptly fixed it and returned it good as new.

Couldn't be happier for the price.
on February 25, 2013
If you are considering a projector for your business presentations, this one is a good option. It is not as small as pico projectors yet portable enough. This projector is very bright and can give you a clear image of 60" with the lights on. Works great for movies if you can control the light in the room.
on November 25, 2011
I opened the box and hooked it up to my macbook pro. It is a very good, clear picture and will work fantastic for presentations. No brains needed to get it working
on February 3, 2012
I was looking for a projector to be able to see videos and sports without having to break the wallet. I first tried the Optoma PT105. This projector was very dim and the resolution left something to be desired. From there I tried the Acer K11. Although the projector fulfilled its role as a top-notch pico projector, the 200 lumens were not bright enough for my needs. This is where the Acer X1261P came in. I have so far been very happy with this projector. Now let me weigh its Pros and Cons.

Pros:
-Great image quality!
-Resolution is good at 1024x768. Very sharp!
-Small and portable (even comes with a carrying bag). I plan to take this one with me this summer when I visit family.
-Colors are very bright and balanced.
-2700 Lumens is more than suffice for a bright image, although I use the Eco mode -- which is still plenty bright!
-120hz. Although I have yet to try it.
-3D. Can't afford to try it yet.
-As another reviewer noted, very plug and play.
-Price is right!

Cons:
-No HDMI. Although I knew this before purchasing. I bought a cheap HDMI to VGA converter here on Amazon to address this caveat.
-No Sound output. Not a problem for me as I use my stereo speakers.
-Only 6,000 hours for the bulbs life. Better than standard, but will need to replace probably about a couple of times in its lifetime.
-Not true 16x9. Thus the projector crops the image to make it 16x9. Really not a problem with the good resolution, but I do wish 16x9 would've been native (of course it would need a higher resolution for that).
-Only a 1-year warranty.

Overall:
This is a very capable projector and great for the price. I highly recommend it for a person who wants a good media projector with great image quality that is both portable and affordable. This is a great projector and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to buy.

I will update if anything occurs.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse