5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, you can't do much better
Published 12 months ago by Nathan

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable trackpad; customer support issues
I bought my Acer Aspire e1-572-5870 from another source, but am disappointed and will return it. The real problem: Trackpad is unreliable and skips or sticks when I use it. This is critical for my purposes and I'll keep looking until I find one that works well.

Published 2 months ago by Norway Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money, you can't do much better, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire E1-572-6870 15.6 Inch Laptop Intel i5 4200U 1.6GHz Processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 8 (Clarinet Black) (Personal Computers)
I have had this Acer for about two months now and considering the price (~$450), this computer does everything I need it to incredibly fast. I recommend this computer for anyone who needs a budget laptop that is moderately portable, runs quiet and cool, and can easily handle moderate computing loads. With a few minor gripes, this computer is perfect for what most people need.

[Note: I actually bought this computer about 3 months ago and the first one I got was a lemon. Basically, the right arrow key was "held down" without pressing it, rendering all but the most basic tasks impossible. Amazon, to its credit, replaced the computer in about two days (before I had even returned the broken one) and the new computer works like a dream and I haven't had any problems with it.]

Pros:
-- Starts up from sleep instantly, from hibernation in about 3 seconds, and boots from restart/shutdown in about 25 seconds. I was considering a laptop with an SSD boot drive, and this computer obviates any need for one.
-- Runs incredibly fast. This machine has more than enough memory for almost any moderate task (4GB) but is easily expandable to 8GB for about $50. The fourth generation i5 processor is excellent. I've tried to make it sputter by running too many things at once, and it hasn't buckled yet. This machine easily handles five or six 1080p videos playing simultaneously with other software such as Office and MediaMonkey running in the background. I don't do PC gaming, so I can't speak to that.
-- Almost no bloatware, and it was easily uninstalled.
-- The battery life is pretty solid; I've gotten 4+ hours of netflix instant on a single charge with battery life to spare.
-- The screen is bright with good color accuracy. I didn't think I would need a 15.6 inch screen, but it's worth it for streaming video and having lots of real estate for things like excel documents.
-- The keyboard is full size with small gaps between the keys that cut down on missed keystrokes. All the buttons are solid with a satisfying "bounce-back". Some people have complained about sticky keys, especially the spacebar. That has not been an issue for me, in fact, quite the opposite. There is also a full size numeric keypad if that is a big deal for you.
-- Considering the size of the laptop, it's pretty lightweight and easy to carry.
-- Lots of people have complained about windows 8, but with the 8.1 update, I basically never have to look at that stupid launch screen and can just boot to the desktop. I don't even notice the difference between this and Windows 7, so it doesn't seem like a reason to shy away.

Cons:
-- The built-in mousepad is large and overly sensitive to the palms of my hands when I'm typing. I have to turn it off 100% of the time. I just use a small wireless mouse (this one: B003I4FF1O and it's easily ignored.
-- No optical drive. If you need a DVD or blu-ray player, this is a problem, but I haven't used one on a pc in 3 years, so it doesn't seem totally necessary.
-- No SSD. This is really the reason for the laptop's low price and I haven't noticed any data read/write speed issues, but it definitely would have been nice to have.
-- The speakers sound and volume is below average. There is a slight crackle at the higher end of the spectrum when pushed to max volume.
-- Full Office does not come preinstalled (there is a standard 30 day trial version), so keep in mind that's going to run you another 100 bucks. I haven't found another third-party PC with full office preinstalled, though, so I think this is pretty standard.

Overall this laptop has been exactly what I need. Fast and quiet, at a very competitive price. For what you get from this machine, I don't think you can find a better deal. And from first hand experience, if it doesn't work exactly right, Amazon will rectify it FAST. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Upgrade, January 8, 2014
Peter R. Schulz (Boca Raton, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
Use this basic laptop with a 4th generation i5 processor ($429.99) as a starting point for building a nice office productivity laptop or a desktop replacement hooked to a second monitor. For me this meant adding a 4 gig Crucial memory card Part Number: CT4498312 ($43.99) in the empty second memory slot, replacing the hard drive with a 128 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD ($114.99) for use as the boot/system/program drive, and then mounting the 500 gig drive I removed in a Universal SATA Hard Drive Caddy ($13.65) and putting this in the empty DVD bay for the data drive. And to tame Windows 8, after upgrading to 8.1, I installed Stardock’s Start8 ($4.99) to make Windows start at the desktop and look and work like Windows 7. All-in-all a fun winter computer science project thanks to Acer, Amazon, and of course Google, my chief how-to consultant.

4.0 out of 5 stars great PC but no DVD drive?, September 1, 2013
First off, let me say that the experience with this laptop and this manufacturer has been overall stellar...it is a great buy @ 449 and is pretty darn fast with the Haswell chip they've included...slide a small SSD in place of the 500GB 5400rpm drive and this thing will sail...very pleased...

with that said, i ordered this at 449 and got 2 (CAMELCAMELCAMEL)...then once i got them, i realized that i assumed it came with a DVD drive (like most laptops that are not super thin) and it does NOT...i contacted Acer and they said to get an external drive...
i did a little more looking and the place for the drive exists...there is a "filler" piece of plastic they have slid in there as a placeholder...i unscrewed the retaining screw on the bottom and slid out the "filler" and shined a flashlight inside to see if a connection exists...it does...the Acer techinician i chatted with refused to admit that i could put a drive in it...
GOOD LUCK FINDING A D**N DRIVE WITH THE CORRECT BEZEL...IT'S TOO NEW...I CANNOT FIND SOMEONE SELLING IT ANYWHERE...

so...if you need a DVD drive of any kind, deal with its absence or get an external one...or wait for 6-12 months for the aftermarket to catch up and maybe pick one up on ebay...

4.0 out of 5 stars Volume isn't great, Shell attracts fingerprints but pretty good performance., December 8, 2013
Bought this laptop from Newegg during black friday for $400. When I saw the price, I immediately jumped. I've had some great experience with this laptop and it can even handle some great gaming if that's what you're into.
League of Legends; Highest setting-~35fps; I've also played Civilization V in the highest setting with very slight lag.

The operating System:Seriously, if you don't like it. You can easily download a program called Classic Shell which gives you the start button back with no complaints. The Keyboard is great, a little bouncy and very wide.

Haven't used it portable very much as I'm always charging it but its been able to go more than 3 hours playing League of Legends without asking to charge at 10%.

laptop is very light, close to about 4 pounds but consider the screen size if you plan on carrying it; very large.

CONS; My main reason for giving this laptop a 4 out of 5 is because of how messy it can get. This things is attracted with finger prints and dark marks can be seen all over it. Even with the slightest touch the laptop can get very dirty and it may seem a bit difficult to clean.

-Obviously there's no Optical Disk Drive, cant expect it from such a thin laptop.

-Sound on this device is kind of bad, doesn't get very loud and to make matters worse. The speakers are located under the computer

If you're looking for a pretty great laptop and don't mind it getting dirty, having no disk drive(an external is about $15 if you really do need it), and having very low sound. This is a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice computer at a budget price, March 8, 2014
I've had my Aspire E1 for a couple of months now. I really wasn't in the market for a new computer but a Haswell i5 at a great price was too much to pass up. The computer runs cool. The display is perfectly acceptable for a sub-$500 computer. The keyboard may be the best I've ever had on any computer. Having a large hard drive, it was easy to re-partition the drive into two large partition for dual booting into Linux.

Battery life is reasonable for a 4 cell battery. There is no DVD drive. Some might call these two features disadvantages. I prefer the lighter weight afforded by the lighter battery and absence of the DVD drive.

If you are not expecting to use this computer for heavy gaming or video editing, you will see that it is a great value for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for my college student. She loves it!, October 2, 2013
My daughter needed a laptop for college but didn't have a ton of money to spend. This Acer fit the bill. We did our homework and found PC Mag rated it as number one for the price. Good enough for us!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable trackpad; customer support issues, October 8, 2014

Not specifically about the machine, but I was surprised to realize that having a number pad is a challenge when I use the laptop on my lap. It unbalances the machine and tends to put my fingers on the wrong keys. Great at a desk but not so much on the lap. I found the keyboard layout just a bit challenging too, as the insert and delete keys are very small.

Under stupid customer tricks, I accidentally uninstalled the eRecovery utility when I meant to use it. Don't ask how that happened :) I learned that you can't download that software from their website, so I used their chat support. Turns out they need to send you a disc for $20 + tax, taking 5-10 days for delivery. When I explained that my machine was only 3 hours old, the agent generously offered to send it to me without charge, but then found it was out of stock. Apparently they don't have the ability to place a backorder, so needed me to wait two days, then contact them again. I did that and they are sending the media, but I have decided to return the machine.

One other small, but bothersome thing about the chat line - When the agent sends a message, it doesn't beep me. Since that is sometimes several minutes while they are researching, I find it annoying to have to keep my eyes on the screen instead of doing other work. Seems simple enough to fix ...

On the other hand, both agents were very courteous and willing to help. It seemed they didn't have a lot of resources to work with, but they did everything they could to be helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as you will get for the price, May 21, 2014
I bought this as a refurb, no visible signs of damage.
Downloaded all the updates for windows 8 then upgraded to windows 8,1.
Bought 4 gigs of memory to fill the second slot Kingston Technology 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 1.35V Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR16LS11/
Bought a samsung 840 evo ssd to replace the piece of crap hard drive that comes with this.
After doing all updates to computer and downloading classic shell for windows 8.1 used the samsung digital migration software and migrated the hdd to the ssd.
There is only 1 screw on the underside of laptop to remove and from there the memory and ssd are very easy to install
Put the cover back on, screw in, turned it over and it started right up with no issues.
Laptop now runs smoking fast.
And with classic shell installed works almost like windows 7, almost...

5.0 out of 5 stars Met all expectations, October 13, 2013
Fast, attractive, lightweight. Glad I took PC magazine's advice.
Had a portable DVD drive, so I did not miss it

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, June 16, 2014
I bought it for my wife last month. So far so good. Sleek design. Comfortable keyboard. Fast processor. Loud speaker. It has everything for daily use. The only complaint is no backup CD. Overall an excellent laptop!