5.0 out of 5 stars No HDMI
Just received the monitor and got it set up. Everything seems to working fine so far, just wanted to let anyone looking to buy this know that the monitor I got is not what is pictured above. There are apparently two separate Acer G236HL Models. The model I received has a VGA port and a DVI-D port, and not two HDMI ports plus a VGA port, as the product image shows...
Published 17 months ago by Chris R.

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but irritatingly bad vertical viewing angle
I can't argue with the price, (in my case I picked it up on black friday at staples for $109).

Published 16 months ago by C. M. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars No HDMI, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Acer G236HL Bbd 23-Inch Screen LCD-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)

Updating this review: Just placed an order for a second monitor. First one is working fine, but now I have a desk large enough for two! Monitor has been working great since purchase and I have no complaints about the product itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor Once You Use The Tilt Feature, January 2, 2013
I felt a bit sorry for this monitor on Amazon taking all this heat from a lack of tilt and I'm here to set the record straight. I purchased this product at a Black Friday event where I was only looking for 3 features within my price range: 1) Full HD 2)LED 3)22"+. When lined up with other products, this one stands out in terms of specifications and price. Once home, it connected to both my Blue Ray player and computer with ease. The quality from Blue Ray is outstanding with a high speed HDMI->DVI cable. The only issue was the LACK OF TILT. For the first few days I was stacking reams of paper to get a proper height adjustment and to obtain the optimal viewing angle. How could Acer make a high-tech monitor with no tilt?! Answer: THEY DID! Having been spoiled for the past 20 years with easy tilting built into every computer screen encountered, this Acer requires you pop off the stand, and with a screw driver and wrench, tweek the stand frame to your desired angle and retighten. EASY, it takes less than 3 minutes. This is a fantastic buy, the quality is as advertised, and if your video card supports two monitors, buy a second one for a full panoramic experience. I hope you enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor at a bargain!, November 12, 2012
I bought this monitor for two reasons:

1) It's super cheap.

2) Acer is a reliable brand.

Having said that, the monitor was a bit foggy and I'm not sure if that's an LED thing or not, it's my first LED monitor. I adjusted the brightness/contrast/colors a bit and now I'm very happy with the monitor.

This is replacing my 22" Acer LCD that I purchased 5 years ago. That one still works too, it just takes a few minutes to turn on and it makes high pitched noises (bad capacitors?) - so I expect it is going to die soon. 5 years is a good amount of time, so I like Acer and I imagine this newer, lower power LED will last even longer!

* One of the pictures shows the monitor as having HDMI, it DOES NOT. It has VGA and DVI, which fine for me, I use DVI.

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but irritatingly bad vertical viewing angle, November 25, 2012
C. M. Evans (Los Lunas, NM United States) - See all my reviews

It is crisp and bright, but the viewing angle is insanely narrow. What's worse, the viewing is OK from side to side, up and down is what makes the difference. If you adjust the monitor for one viewing angle, then move your head up just six inches, the picture will go from really good contrast to brighter and washed out. Imagine going from slouching in your chair to sitting up straight, that's way more than enough to make you have to reposition the monitor. If you walk up to your desk, and want to type something quick, the screen is totally washed out, you'll have to sit down, or tilt the monitor up quite bit to read it.

To add to the problem, the tilt stand is very limited in how far it will pivot. You may have to set it on a book to make it appear right.

This is more frustrating, because I bought this on the basis on my older Acer 19" monitor, that has been a work horse for the last 3 - 4 years.

Side notes: the unit does come with a VGA cord, but you will have to supply your own DVI cable. The power supply is a small brick type, as opposed to an AC cord that goes all the way to the monitor.

Summing up: If you only have $109 and can't squeezed out any more, it does look great from a proper viewing angle, but I'd cough up some more money and buy something different

4.0 out of 5 stars You can make this monitor so much better with just a few steps, June 3, 2013
I was really excited to get this monitor. It's a steal for the size and a great piece of hardware. That's not to say there aren't shortcomings, If you haven't used an LED backlit screen the colors at first are extremely washed out but YOU CAN FIX THIS!

Be sure to download the icc profile that is listed on the acer website and install it by simply right clicking.

Then go to the control panel and click on color management, choose to use your own settings and add the Acer profile that was downloaded.

finally you must open whatever software your graphics card uses whether it's amd catalyst control center or nvidia. After doing some tuning in there you'll be able to have a great monitor that you stole from the refurbished section of amazon!

After doing all those steps I'm very happy with this monitor. Would buy again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good price, but a poor monitor, November 8, 2012
Jason J Chapman (STOCKTON, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This product was purchased as a replacement for an ASUS V236H LCD Monitor.

There's a reason it's so cheaply priced.. it's a poor quality monitor. Features are VERY limited - no HDMI input, only ergonomic adjustment is tilt, the stand is flimsy and not all the feet touch the surface you may place it on, VIEWING ANGLES ARE TERRIBLE!! The screen must be tilted away from the user at an extreme angle for blacks to be displayed true.

I would recommend the slightly more expensive Acer G245HQ. It is far superior to the G236HL in display quality and brightness, as well as being 0.6" larger diagonally

NOT RECOMMENDED.

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars No VESA mounting options, January 3, 2013
The monitor is acceptable given its price. The stand is very basic.
For those looking to mount this on a custom stand or wall mount, there are no VESA mounting options at all. I was surprised at this, after all it is just 4 bolt holes.

2.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE - NO VESA MOUNT, April 9, 2013
C. Daniels (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I just had to send mine back. This model does not have screw holes for VESA mount. Very bad decision by ACER and I'm very disappointed in them for doing that. Now I have to be wary of all future monitor purchases. I assumed this was standard. If you want to mount the monitor on an arm (and not the included stand) this is NOT the monitor for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer's remorse in a box - an "ok" monitor for a budget / kids PC, January 15, 2013
I saw the reviews and thought to myself - hey, a 23" LED monitor for $110? It's worth a shot... and I mostly regret it. I should have spent the extra $30 or $40 for a higher end display.

I give this monitor 3 stars because for what it is it's not a bad monitor, per se - but holy crap the viewing angles are crazy sensitive. Sitting next to my old 20" Dell, the black of the Dell monitor versus the "black" of this monitor and it's obvious what this monitor is not.

And no, there is no HDMI (not a deal breaker, but just to be clear).

There is no such thing as black on this monitor, and as a point in regards to viewing angles I use a solid color as my background and it looks like a gradient... that's saying something.

So here it is: If you *really* want a big monitor for a budget / kids PC - this might be an option for you.

However - if you sit in front of a computer all day - this monitor is not worth it. Save yourself the trouble. I went back and forth on this monitor for days before I pulled the trigger. I should have spent the extra dollars for something better.

UPDATE:
I ended up returning this monitor. The viewing angles were so bad, the colors so wrong, the really bright "black" so poor that there was no way I could use this monitor. I think it was defective as a solid color looked like a gradient on it.
I haven't replaced it yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the one in the picture, July 6, 2013
The quality of the picture and the monitor itself is actually quite nice for the price... however the monitor that arrives is not the one in the pictures. It has only a dvi and vga connection. There is not a HDMI port and certainly not 2. Seeing as how I needed a monitor with HDMI this is useless to me.

ARRAY(0x97c13348)