Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Acer G246HL 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 24-Inch|Style Name: FHD (1920 x 1080)|Change

on January 2, 2013
I felt a bit sorry for this monitor on Amazon taking all this heat from a lack of tilt and I'm here to set the record straight. I purchased this product at a Black Friday event where I was only looking for 3 features within my price range: 1) Full HD 2)LED 3)22"+. When lined up with other products, this one stands out in terms of specifications and price. Once home, it connected to both my Blue Ray player and computer with ease. The quality from Blue Ray is outstanding with a high speed HDMI->DVI cable. The only issue was the LACK OF TILT. For the first few days I was stacking reams of paper to get a proper height adjustment and to obtain the optimal viewing angle. How could Acer make a high-tech monitor with no tilt?! Answer: THEY DID! Having been spoiled for the past 20 years with easy tilting built into every computer screen encountered, this Acer requires you pop off the stand, and with a screw driver and wrench, tweek the stand frame to your desired angle and retighten. EASY, it takes less than 3 minutes. This is a fantastic buy, the quality is as advertised, and if your video card supports two monitors, buy a second one for a full panoramic experience. I hope you enjoy.
2929 comments| 1,078 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2014
Excellent Monitor especially for the price! I have had no problem with this monitor in fact ive had one for a year now and i just bought another when I ordered my computer to build! These monitors side by side look great and perform great as well! I am hoping to get a Mount for my desk when i am able to and these will be able to mount because they have the VESA mounting spots on the back of the Monitor!
review image
1010 comments| 492 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2015
Just purchased 3 of these monitors and they look amazing see for yourself in my picture:)
review image
77 comments| 395 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I purchased this monitor to upgrade my old VGA display. (1360x768). I myself am a very serious pc gamer and find it a requirement to have the best display for the game so it may be played how it is meant to be played. I find that this monitor is perfect for the job. (Just a note 1080p looks better the smaller the screen goes so buying a 32 inch 1080p TV may look different)

Pros
-Colors are Brilliant - The black levels on this screen are incredible. Everything is clearly defined. (Tested with same games as below)
-NO GHOSTING - (Running DVI-D) I've played starcraft II, WarZ, Arma II, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, and few other games and have seen absolutely no ghosting of the image whatsoever.
-Very low power consumption. This is the first monitor i've seen to have an external transformer(odd)
-Very slim and sleek design.
-Settings easily changeable
-The ports that the DVI-D and the VGA cables plug in are actually stable compared to other monitors that seem to be very very loose
-Responds almost instantly when the computer comes out of sleep.
-Many integrated settings to save power although it will distort the amazing colors when enabled.(Eco-Friendly)
-ALL packaging material is recyclable.

Cons
-The stand isn't the greatest. It can be tightly screwed on but can only be moved on a tilt forward and backward. (Doesn't seem easy to move feels like you can break it)
-This isn't really bad but when you first turn on the monitor you will go blind. The brightness at maximum settings is painful to look at and needs to be turned down.
-DVI-D but DVI-I? The monitor is compatible with the DVI-D connection which I am currently using but it only comes with a DVI-I connector.
-The screen did have a rather large smudge in it when I opened the box but the padding protecting the screen was able to remove it with ease. (Not too bad but annoying)

NOTE: The monitors packaging was a little odd but very protective. The monitor itself was surrounded in a thin padding to prevent scratching. Then it was harnessed by styrofoam to keep it sturdy inside its box. ( This is the odd part) Then that same box was placed inside another box after being surrounded in a layer of paper. I wouldn't worry about breaking the monitor over shipping its pretty darn safe.
77 comments| 299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
If you're looking to upgrade your LCD monitor this LED monitor made my old LCD moniter look like a box Tv
review image
55 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2015
I've been saving money to upgrade my 32" 720p TV even though it's still going strong for almost 4 years because:

1) It's on my desk and it takes up a lot of space
2) While 720p is easier on my graphics card, the image quality basically cancels out how easily i can max out most settings on modern games.

I would say when i'm at a monitor, 1/3 of the time I'm gaming the other 2/3 are just basic web browsing and YouTube consumption. 720p on a 32 inch TV sitting less than 6 feet from it would probably make most enthusiast PC gamers either cringe or cry (or both). I knew that while the 2/3rds I spend doing non-gaming activities would benefit from a higher resolution, my GPU would choke on it. I have been eyeing this Acer monitor because of how affordable it is (get it at $279, DEFINITELY get it right now at $249) and because it's a 1440p resolution which is higher than the standard 1080p. So does paying less equal less quality? With this monitor, I think not. I will list the pros and cons briefly and go into more detail below.

PROS
+VERY bright (I believe it's at 80 at default which is okay in the daytime but at night it's WAY too bright and I found 45 to be a sweet spot)
+IPS display (Vibrant colors at wide viewing angles, everyone needs an IPS monitor unless you are those competitive gamers who need 144 hz monitors that right now are great for multiplayer games but have terrible colors and poor viewing angles)
+Very affordable (A lot of high end 1080p monitors are around this price and while most are around $150-$200, I feel it's worth extra to go to 1440p especially if you do more web browsing than gaming)

NEUTRAL
Quality (My monitor came with absolutely NO dead pixels and very faint backlight bleed common for IPS displays, I guess I won the monitor lottery. This WILL vary, but my experience was positive however I will leave this as a neutral as not all panels are made the same. Mine was made in April of this yer.)

CONS
-Very flimsy stand (Yes the other reviewers are right, the stand is quite bad. When you try to adjust the vertical height of the monitor it WILL shake. You can't adjust it horizontally nor can you turn it sideways like the Dell Ultrasharp's. It is easy to install the stand though.)
-NO vesa mounts (Ties into the flimsy stand because you're stuck with that stand. Some people will find a lack of vesa mounts to be a nonstarter. For me, I can live with a flimsy stand when everything else about this monitor is a solid A.)

In the box it comes with a DVI cable and an HDMI cable but not a display port cable. Something to note.

So if you're not a gamer, the rest of this review you can skip. I will say to buy this monitor if you aren't a gamer because of the affordability, and the great display at 1440p resolution.

Now, for the gamers: The higher the resolution the more your FPS is decreased. If you absolutely MUST have a solid 60fps experience, you will need at least a GTX 970 or a R9 290x if you're okay with dialing down some key settings like AA and shadows for 60fps or a GTX 980 ti or what AMD is going to release on July 16th at E3 if you want to have your cake and eat it too (max everything AND solid/above 60fps). I have a AMD R9 270, which is definitely on the lower end of the GPU spectrum so how does it fare at 1440p? Playing a demanding game like The Witcher 3, I can max out some settings, dial down the foliage distance (huge FPS eater) and get rid of Hairworks (even bigger for AMD AND Nvidia cards) and I can get a solid 30fps. It's not 60, but if you're of the graphics > FPS affinity, you can definitely use a lower end GPU at 1440p like the R9 270, 280 and for NVIDIA the 960. It's up to you what you want more of, but what is not disputable is just how much of a steal this monitor is and it WILL make your games look like you're actually in them, I stared at The Witcher 3 for almost 10 minutes just because how gorgeous it looks and why IPS monitors are always superior to other panels. 1440p is not as big of a jump as 4K, but it IS a big improvement over 1080p. The question is: do you need a new graphics card or not?
33 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2015
A GR888888 monitor & value & I am very well pleased to add it to my computing needs.
review image
22 comments| 330 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2015
I've got two of these, had them for about a week now.
The good:
-No ghosting that I've seen. Games are nice and smooth.
-Colors are vibrant, blacks are dark.
-1xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-D Dual Link means plenty of options for connectivity.
-Very little "IPS glow".
-Great price for 1440p IPS with low response time.

The bad:
-No VESA mounts. Cmon guys, that's simple stuff. Nobody wants a svelte backing on their monitor so much that they'd prefer you drop mounting capability in favor of it.
-Related to above, the stand is pretty terrible. I was able to mostly stop the wobble by making sure my two lean on each other.
-No adaptive sync, but I guess I can't fault them too much at this price point.

Other Thoughts:
-Despite how it looks in the pictures, these monitors do have speakers....somewhere inside them. If you don't remember to change your sound output device when you hook up with DP or HDMI you will get "sound" coming out of your monitor.
1111 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2012
Just received the monitor and got it set up. Everything seems to working fine so far, just wanted to let anyone looking to buy this know that the monitor I got is not what is pictured above. There are apparently two separate Acer G236HL Models. The model I received has a VGA port and a DVI-D port, and not two HDMI ports plus a VGA port, as the product image shows.

Updating this review: Just placed an order for a second monitor. First one is working fine, but now I have a desk large enough for two! Monitor has been working great since purchase and I have no complaints about the product itself.
66 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
If this is your first LED lit monitor, the first thing you will notice is that it is much brighter than many other non-LED LCD's you might have had. I have mine next to an "older (couple years old)" HP 19 non-LED lit monitor and the difference is night and day. I'll break it down below:

Pro's:

- BRIGHT
- BIG/Widescreen/Thin bezel
- 1080p resolution is gorgeous
- Vivid colors
- Low power consumption
- Price
- Matte display
- Comes with both DVI and VGA cables.

Con's:

- Initial out of box setup was way too bright. Brightness was at 100%. Absolutely KILLS my eyes. But it is adjustable (see below).
- Custom setup of the colors/brightness/etc is tricky. Predefined options are are good starting point but the hardware buttons to select the on screen display are really awkward to use. I had to do my mom's monitor for her. The buttons are mostly hidden out of eyesight and are on the bottom of the bezel.
- Sits low. The included stand does not allow for raising/lowering. Don't bother me personally but I'm sure someone will care. It sits about 2.5" off of the desk. It does tilt, however.
44 comments| 227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse