5.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor for the cheaper price.
Published 21 months ago by Jamey Calabrese

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Monitor
My old Gateway 24" LCD monitor stopped working so I ordered the Acer G246HL based on price and reviews. I have to admit, I'm totally underwhelmed. The screen looks washed out and not crisp. I fiddled with all the settings and could never get a display that was anywhere near what I am accustom to

Update - I am using a windows PC (Windows 7) so I installed the...
Published 4 months ago by Happy Camper

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor for the cheaper price., November 29, 2012
Jamey Calabrese (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer G246HL Abd 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)
I purchased this monitor to upgrade my old VGA display. (1360x768). I myself am a very serious pc gamer and find it a requirement to have the best display for the game so it may be played how it is meant to be played. I find that this monitor is perfect for the job. (Just a note 1080p looks better the smaller the screen goes so buying a 32 inch 1080p TV may look different)

Pros
-Colors are Brilliant - The black levels on this screen are incredible. Everything is clearly defined. (Tested with same games as below)
-NO GHOSTING - (Running DVI-D) I've played starcraft II, WarZ, Arma II, Left 4 Dead, Crysis, and few other games and have seen absolutely no ghosting of the image whatsoever.
-Very low power consumption. This is the first monitor i've seen to have an external transformer(odd)
-Very slim and sleek design.
-Settings easily changeable
-The ports that the DVI-D and the VGA cables plug in are actually stable compared to other monitors that seem to be very very loose
-Responds almost instantly when the computer comes out of sleep.
-Many integrated settings to save power although it will distort the amazing colors when enabled.(Eco-Friendly)
-ALL packaging material is recyclable.

Cons
-The stand isn't the greatest. It can be tightly screwed on but can only be moved on a tilt forward and backward. (Doesn't seem easy to move feels like you can break it)
-This isn't really bad but when you first turn on the monitor you will go blind. The brightness at maximum settings is painful to look at and needs to be turned down.
-DVI-D but DVI-I? The monitor is compatible with the DVI-D connection which I am currently using but it only comes with a DVI-I connector.
-The screen did have a rather large smudge in it when I opened the box but the padding protecting the screen was able to remove it with ease. (Not too bad but annoying)

NOTE: The monitors packaging was a little odd but very protective. The monitor itself was surrounded in a thin padding to prevent scratching. Then it was harnessed by styrofoam to keep it sturdy inside its box. ( This is the odd part) Then that same box was placed inside another box after being surrounded in a layer of paper. I wouldn't worry about breaking the monitor over shipping its pretty darn safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars BRIGHT!, January 8, 2013
If this is your first LED lit monitor, the first thing you will notice is that it is much brighter than many other non-LED LCD's you might have had. I have mine next to an "older (couple years old)" HP 19 non-LED lit monitor and the difference is night and day. I'll break it down below:

Pro's:

- BRIGHT
- BIG/Widescreen/Thin bezel
- 1080p resolution is gorgeous
- Vivid colors
- Low power consumption
- Price
- Matte display
- Comes with both DVI and VGA cables.

Con's:

- Initial out of box setup was way too bright. Brightness was at 100%. Absolutely KILLS my eyes. But it is adjustable (see below).
- Custom setup of the colors/brightness/etc is tricky. Predefined options are are good starting point but the hardware buttons to select the on screen display are really awkward to use. I had to do my mom's monitor for her. The buttons are mostly hidden out of eyesight and are on the bottom of the bezel.
- Sits low. The included stand does not allow for raising/lowering. Don't bother me personally but I'm sure someone will care. It sits about 2.5" off of the desk. It does tilt, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for the price!, March 5, 2013
I use this monitor for work, gaming, school, movie watching, etc.. The colors are vibrant. I use the monitor six to eight hours a day, no performance issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 26, 2013
I'm a developer and our IT team recently replaces my two old monitors with three of these. The price point is really good for this size/quality and the image is super bright and sharp as well. I like them so much, especially at this price point, that I replaced my monitor at home with one of these even though my other monitor worked fine (was more square and a bit smaller though).

My wife loves the new screen, the widescreen format allows us to work more efficiently since you have more screen real estate to put open apps side by side rather than having to keep show/hiding windows.

Great monitor, great price.

The only thing to be aware of is that you don't have any real options as far as movement goes. It's on a fixed post so you can't raise/lower or change it's viewing angle. If you're putting it on a desk it sits where it sits and that's that. It does have build in mounting screw holes so you can mount it to a wall, on another mount, etc. if you like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great monitors., November 30, 2013
Bought at least 20 of these monitors for my office over the past year, and not a single bad unit. No dead pixels, and no issues - great cheap monitors!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Monitor, May 2, 2014

Update - I am using a windows PC (Windows 7) so I installed the drivers from the acer website and then ran the calibrate color utility (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display look on the left navigation)in windows 7.

It's much better. Not as good as the Gateway it is replacing but good enough that I don't feel compelled to return it anymore.

I wish is had speakers, though. I had meant to buy a monitor with speakers and forgot to check the specs when I ordered this one. Entirely my fault.

Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, November 29, 2013
Wow lovely screen easy setup would recommend for the price that you are paying it is well worth it :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, great price., November 22, 2013
Very happy with this monitor. Colors and resolution are great. I use mine mainly for work, watching a few movies, not gaming. I already wish I bought the 27-inch version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Monitor, February 18, 2014
I bought this to match another 24-inch acer monitor I have and it works perfectly. I've had no issues with it thus far, and the image quality is amazing. I've had my other Acer monitor for about 3 years now and have to say Acer is one of my favorites now. (I work in IT and see all sorts of monitors.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a 16:9 monitor., May 31, 2013
PROS:

Cheap.
Works.
No dead pixels.
Nice and bright.

CONS:

They need to make affordable 16:10 monitors in this size again. I hate it compared to my 1920x1200 monitors.

Rate and Discover Movies