4.0 out of 5 stars Great Video for the Price
(This is an un-boxing review based on initial impressions)

There aren't very many reviews on this projector or rather there weren't when I bought it. After doing a lot of research and comparing many models I kept coming back to this one. It always had decent to excellent reviews from several web sites and the price was unbeatable.

Since this was my...
Published 17 months ago by Jacob Roggero

2.0 out of 5 stars WORKED GREAT! (For 1 day)
This projector is fantastic when it works. Deep blacks, bright vivid colors, etc. ..The problem is getting it to turn on. After just one day of use I received a lamp error when pressing the power button. I looked up the error in the manual and apparently its related to the color wheel getting stuck. Its a shame because I WAS really happy with the purchase (would have...
Published 20 months ago by JT Klinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Video for the Price, July 8, 2013
Jacob Roggero "flumpage" (Lakewood, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer H5370BD 3D Home Theater Projector (White) (Electronics)
(This is an un-boxing review based on initial impressions)

Since this was my first projector I didn't really know what to expect but wasn't really willing to spend a lot of money considering all of the nightmare stories I have heard about them failing or having to replace expensive bulbs. Received this yesterday and the packaging was simple, the projector came with a carrying case and VGA cable which was nice. I was impressed with the settings and ability to modify video and picture. Right out of the box the picture was great. There is a 55'' LED TV in the house and I will admit that the picture quality is better on the TV. This is only a 720 projector however and detail isn't the only reason you buy these. For the price and picture size, not to mention the 3D option I am still very pleased.

There are multiple video inputs including two HDMI inputs which were really helpful. There is no audio out however, and the included speak isn't really meant for anything other than simple presentations. You will need to run separate sound.

I have used many projectors over the years with work in schools and churches. I am very pleased with the quality and brightness of this even with lights on in the room. When I played Xbox with his however (Halo Reach) the details were not as crisp as my TV. I think this is due to the horrible wall I was using to project onto. I couldn't get the colors or brightness balance right for my xbox. Again, video (through Netflix, or Direct TV) looked really good, at 90+ inches it definitely looked HD quality and was bright with no rainbow effects or much lag to speak of. Video games might be different but I will need to get a nice screen up first before I pass judgement.

Initial impressions:

Pros:
Price, (I actually bought it for $400 new)
Picture Quality
3D
Multiple video inputs
Easy Remote function and good range
Throw distance (from 10 feet you have 90+ inch screen)
Very light and simple carrying case
Bright projection even in ECO mode

Cons:
No Audio Out
Not true HD 1080 (but those are at least twice as much)
Can't adjust horizontal keystone (that I know of)
Runs a little hot with noticeable fan noise
Might not be the best gaming projector

Conclusion:

Until I get a high quality screen I am withholding judgment on the gaming quality, but for movies or even watching TV this projector is brilliant. For the price I am completely 100% pleased with the purchase. For a first time buyer in the projector world I think this was the best choice I could have made.

Update 7/7/13

While I can't speak to the longevity of the projector, I can certainly say that the quality has been great. Except for a few minor things, like changing it to high altitude to compensate for the lack of airflow and finally getting a screen in place everything has been great. I didn't see any rainbow effects and assumed I wasn't susceptible, however now playing Halo 4 after two weeks I am starting to see them. It isn't too big of a deal, though sometimes I think there are enemies on my sonar, when there aren't. Also I upgraded my screen and the detail is now much better. Halo looks amazing, so I can safely say this works great for gaming. Over all, very pleased with the projector.

Update 10/15/2013

Now that I have installed the projector in a set location and installed a nice 93'' screen on the opposite wall I am very pleased. Since I live at high altitude I originally had that mode turned on, however the projector fan would simply run too loud and the projector indicates that this will shorten the life of the projector. I bought a pair of USB computer fans and installed one on the outside of the projector exhaust vent (pulling air through the projector). These fans run very quietly and now I can return the projector to normal mode without any issues. (before it would overheat at altitude and turn off) I have been using it almost on a continual daily basis for a few hours at night with zero issues. The picture quality (now that I have a real canvas screen) is wonderful at night. It's slightly faded as expected during the day. Blu-ray movies look fantastic and I actually prefer watching at home then going to a theater (unless its IMAX or something). Excellent purchase, so far completely reliable and exceptional quality for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful picture, September 24, 2013
Mounted this to my ceiling and got a crystal clear 110" (9'+) screen on my wall. Inside the box is a padded carrying bag for the projector, the projector, and a power supply cable (roughly 6ft or so).

While opening a window during the day is too bright for the projector, it does just fine with having some lights on in the same room. I was going to "black out" the room but I actually don't think I'm going to now that I see how bright it is.

I've been running games/movies on it at 1080p (upscaled) 120Hz and it performs very well. No noticeable trailing or other issues. The built in speaker on the unit surprised me. I expected it to sound like an earbud with the volume cranked up too high but it actually sounded decent for what it is. That said, it just isn't enough for sound and I'm using my own setup to handle that.

The reason I knocked off a star was because I was unable to get the projector to pick up video when using a 25ft HDMI cable, causing me to change my installation setup, and also because the power cable is too short. If your going to mount this to your ceiling and don't have an outlet handy, be prepared to add a longer power cable to your cart as well.

Very happy with my purchase. If that changes I will give an update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome projector for an unreal price!, November 26, 2013
First and foremost, let me make one thing clear- going from a 32 inch HDTV to this projector on a 69 inch screen is a stunning upgrade. This unit blows me away! The best part about it? Its under $500! This projector will not disappoint!
Setting this up was quite a journey, and defiantly not the easiest thing I have done. Like I have previously stated, I project this on a 69 inch high quality screen. I also use the VideoSecu mount that Amazon has recommended me buy. I will give you a heads up, if you buy that mount, be ready to make some adjustments to the mount to get it to fit the projector properly.
Personally, I'm a pretty big gamer, and bought this unit to game as much as to watch movies on it. After about a month with it, I have no complaints about picture quality in any way. Gaming works awesome as do movies! I will also note that nobody that has watched a movie on it complained about the rainbow effect everyone talks about.
I bought a pair of 3D glasses just because I was curious to see how the 3D worked. At first, I tried 2D to 3D gaming. I will be honest, it gave me a headache. Then I tried a 2D to 3D movie. There was defiantly more depth there then in 2D, and I didn't experience a headache. Then I went out and borrowed a 3D blue ray movie. This is where the real experience is. I was shocked at how extraordinarily awesome the pictures and effects was! I was actually jumping at objects that were coming out of the screen at me! Personally, I think its better then a 3D movie at the theaters. Lets just say that after that movie I'll defiantly be buying more glasses.
To wrap this review up, I'll just flat out tell you that you will love this projector! It blows away watching movies or playing games on a television. I have absolutely zero regrets on buying this unit, everything works flawlessly!
Hope this review helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Ill be happy to answer them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Acer H5370BD, May 9, 2014
Writing from Bangalore, India. Ordered this item from Amazon.com and a friend carried this back to India. As a first time PJ user, I was in a confusion whether to go for a 1080p PJ or a 720p PJ. After doing all the research i decided to buy the Acer H5370BD - a 720p resolution PJ and today I absolutely do not regret on my decision, I do not see any reason to go for a 1080p PJ. This serves the purpose of a human eye fantastically well. An absolute value for money PJ!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider this instead of a TV for your home theatre, March 17, 2014
I bought this after spending quite a bit of time looking for a good deal on a TV or projector. I was open to either. I primarily watch sports or movies, but sometimes play XBox with it. Signals come from the XBox, Fios Cable box, or my laptop. All work great.
2 of my friends have a 55 and 60 inch TV and this just blows them away for watching the game.
I have never used the 3D mode.
No audio out is an inconvenience, but I just go direct from the source to my sound system. Xbox was the only issue because I needed an adapter to hook up the cables.
I run it in ECO mode all the time and have no issues with picture quality. That also make the fan very quiet, although it's not a big deal regardless of mode.
Even during the day, I get a good picture, although, I have the shades drawn on the windows that would shine on that wall. Regular room lighting is no issue and the picture is bright and clear.
I suppose I would prefer 1080 in principle, but as noted above, a 100 inch 720 projection looks way better than my friends 1080 60 in screen.
I have a screen to project onto, but it's a little too big for my apt and I am projecting directly on to the wall which is painted off-white.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big screen Gaming, March 12, 2014
I Got this to use with an Xbox and watch movies, and I never imagined it would look this good. Being that it is only 720p,(same output as the Xbox) I thought I would see pixels and need to be in a dark room, But sitting 10ft away with a 100in screen with normal room lighting I can't believe the quality of the image. Granted it does look even better with less lights on, but I don't feel I need to set in the dark to enjoy. In fact, I use the eco mode even with light coming in from the windows on a bright day!! Direct light does fade the image but that can easily be controlled with curtains or blinds. It is also worth the cost to get a screen or make one, like I did with the blackout cloth (that was the only hard part of my setup). If you are on a budget and looking for the best bang for your buck you will be happy with this projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars I see the light, February 27, 2014
This projector works great. This is my first projector and I couldn't be happier. I love the picture quality and the 3d, especially for the price. I went with the sainsonic rainbow series glasses and they work flawlessly. Projector is kind of tricky to mount as it has 3 point mount and they are close together. Make sure when you order a mount, it is flexible enough to mount to that pattern. It has limited adjustment for keystone. Just up and down. So you have to make sure you mount it centered with the screen. Other than that, the other adjustments are great. I have yet to use a colorimeter with it but when I can it allows for fine adjustments of the hue and saturation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for Money projector, July 29, 2013
This is a good value for money projector if you don't want to shell out USD 1000 on a projector with similar specs. If you have a 3D bluray player, you can connect this and enjoy 3D with a pair of DLP glasses. Good picture quality and simple straight forward setup process too. You will not get a projector with this features on this price.

An update,

I have completed an year and 1000 hours on this Projector. Absolutely awesome and picture quality just like when it was new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D 720p projector, July 27, 2013
This is one of the cheapest projectors out there that supports the different formats of 3d.
If you have 3D side-by-side movies on your computer they can easily be watched with stereoscopic player.
This also works good with 3D blu-ray players or the ps3.

The only con I have is it takes a while to load when turning on and when the screen changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality picture, small, not noisy, great price, June 23, 2013
Excellent price for a big screen. You need to have some control of light in the room because without this it can't look as well as in dark rooms. I use it in my family room to watch tv, play wii u and movies and all the family loves it.

Acer H5370BD 3D Home Theater Projector (White)
$549.99 $535.60