Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 8, 2013
(This is an un-boxing review based on initial impressions)

There aren't very many reviews on this projector or rather there weren't when I bought it. After doing a lot of research and comparing many models I kept coming back to this one. It always had decent to excellent reviews from several web sites and the price was unbeatable.

Since this was my first projector I didn't really know what to expect but wasn't really willing to spend a lot of money considering all of the nightmare stories I have heard about them failing or having to replace expensive bulbs. Received this yesterday and the packaging was simple, the projector came with a carrying case and VGA cable which was nice. I was impressed with the settings and ability to modify video and picture. Right out of the box the picture was great. There is a 55'' LED TV in the house and I will admit that the picture quality is better on the TV. This is only a 720 projector however and detail isn't the only reason you buy these. For the price and picture size, not to mention the 3D option I am still very pleased.

There are multiple video inputs including two HDMI inputs which were really helpful. There is no audio out however, and the included speak isn't really meant for anything other than simple presentations. You will need to run separate sound.

I have used many projectors over the years with work in schools and churches. I am very pleased with the quality and brightness of this even with lights on in the room. When I played Xbox with his however (Halo Reach) the details were not as crisp as my TV. I think this is due to the horrible wall I was using to project onto. I couldn't get the colors or brightness balance right for my xbox. Again, video (through Netflix, or Direct TV) looked really good, at 90+ inches it definitely looked HD quality and was bright with no rainbow effects or much lag to speak of. Video games might be different but I will need to get a nice screen up first before I pass judgement.

Initial impressions:

Pros:
Price, (I actually bought it for $400 new)
Picture Quality
3D
Multiple video inputs
Easy Remote function and good range
Throw distance (from 10 feet you have 90+ inch screen)
Very light and simple carrying case
Bright projection even in ECO mode

Cons:
No Audio Out
Not true HD 1080 (but those are at least twice as much)
Can't adjust horizontal keystone (that I know of)
Runs a little hot with noticeable fan noise
Might not be the best gaming projector

Conclusion:

Until I get a high quality screen I am withholding judgment on the gaming quality, but for movies or even watching TV this projector is brilliant. For the price I am completely 100% pleased with the purchase. For a first time buyer in the projector world I think this was the best choice I could have made.

Update 7/7/13

While I can't speak to the longevity of the projector, I can certainly say that the quality has been great. Except for a few minor things, like changing it to high altitude to compensate for the lack of airflow and finally getting a screen in place everything has been great. I didn't see any rainbow effects and assumed I wasn't susceptible, however now playing Halo 4 after two weeks I am starting to see them. It isn't too big of a deal, though sometimes I think there are enemies on my sonar, when there aren't. Also I upgraded my screen and the detail is now much better. Halo looks amazing, so I can safely say this works great for gaming. Over all, very pleased with the projector.

Update 10/15/2013

Now that I have installed the projector in a set location and installed a nice 93'' screen on the opposite wall I am very pleased. Since I live at high altitude I originally had that mode turned on, however the projector fan would simply run too loud and the projector indicates that this will shorten the life of the projector. I bought a pair of USB computer fans and installed one on the outside of the projector exhaust vent (pulling air through the projector). These fans run very quietly and now I can return the projector to normal mode without any issues. (before it would overheat at altitude and turn off) I have been using it almost on a continual daily basis for a few hours at night with zero issues. The picture quality (now that I have a real canvas screen) is wonderful at night. It's slightly faded as expected during the day. Blu-ray movies look fantastic and I actually prefer watching at home then going to a theater (unless its IMAX or something). Excellent purchase, so far completely reliable and exceptional quality for the price.
review image review image
on September 24, 2013
Mounted this to my ceiling and got a crystal clear 110" (9'+) screen on my wall. Inside the box is a padded carrying bag for the projector, the projector, and a power supply cable (roughly 6ft or so).

While opening a window during the day is too bright for the projector, it does just fine with having some lights on in the same room. I was going to "black out" the room but I actually don't think I'm going to now that I see how bright it is.

I've been running games/movies on it at 1080p (upscaled) 120Hz and it performs very well. No noticeable trailing or other issues. The built in speaker on the unit surprised me. I expected it to sound like an earbud with the volume cranked up too high but it actually sounded decent for what it is. That said, it just isn't enough for sound and I'm using my own setup to handle that.

The reason I knocked off a star was because I was unable to get the projector to pick up video when using a 25ft HDMI cable, causing me to change my installation setup, and also because the power cable is too short. If your going to mount this to your ceiling and don't have an outlet handy, be prepared to add a longer power cable to your cart as well.

Very happy with my purchase. If that changes I will give an update.
on November 26, 2013
First and foremost, let me make one thing clear- going from a 32 inch HDTV to this projector on a 69 inch screen is a stunning upgrade. This unit blows me away! The best part about it? Its under $500! This projector will not disappoint!
Setting this up was quite a journey, and defiantly not the easiest thing I have done. Like I have previously stated, I project this on a 69 inch high quality screen. I also use the VideoSecu mount that Amazon has recommended me buy. I will give you a heads up, if you buy that mount, be ready to make some adjustments to the mount to get it to fit the projector properly.
Personally, I'm a pretty big gamer, and bought this unit to game as much as to watch movies on it. After about a month with it, I have no complaints about picture quality in any way. Gaming works awesome as do movies! I will also note that nobody that has watched a movie on it complained about the rainbow effect everyone talks about.
I bought a pair of 3D glasses just because I was curious to see how the 3D worked. At first, I tried 2D to 3D gaming. I will be honest, it gave me a headache. Then I tried a 2D to 3D movie. There was defiantly more depth there then in 2D, and I didn't experience a headache. Then I went out and borrowed a 3D blue ray movie. This is where the real experience is. I was shocked at how extraordinarily awesome the pictures and effects was! I was actually jumping at objects that were coming out of the screen at me! Personally, I think its better then a 3D movie at the theaters. Lets just say that after that movie I'll defiantly be buying more glasses.
To wrap this review up, I'll just flat out tell you that you will love this projector! It blows away watching movies or playing games on a television. I have absolutely zero regrets on buying this unit, everything works flawlessly!
Hope this review helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Ill be happy to answer them!
on February 27, 2014
This projector works great. This is my first projector and I couldn't be happier. I love the picture quality and the 3d, especially for the price. I went with the sainsonic rainbow series glasses and they work flawlessly. Projector is kind of tricky to mount as it has 3 point mount and they are close together. Make sure when you order a mount, it is flexible enough to mount to that pattern. It has limited adjustment for keystone. Just up and down. So you have to make sure you mount it centered with the screen. Other than that, the other adjustments are great. I have yet to use a colorimeter with it but when I can it allows for fine adjustments of the hue and saturation.
on April 14, 2014
This Acer projector is a great home projector for the price. At under $500 there is nothing that compares. The only problem is I need a more portable system. This isn't a stand alone projector. While it projected an excellent picture. The fan noise, which isn't that loud, made it difficult to heard the movie sound track via the built in speakers. Since there isn't an audio out port on the projector it needs to be connected through the DVD player or a receiver with an HDMI input and output port. The newest model, Acer H5380BD has/an audio out port. I'm considering it instead.
This projector is bright enough to view shows with some lights on in a room. It's adequate for use in the day time. I tried the 3D function. It works great but you need to get the right kind of glasses. I used the MOACC DLP Link rechargeable 3D glasses which work well but there are many other brands that will work just as well.
It comes with a travel bag but I think it's a bit big for carrying around. Moving it around the house isn't a problem. Taking it into different rooms or using it outside would be easy enough but if you're planning on using it as a unit on the go, remember that the projector is only 5 pounds but you need to also carry the power cord and converter as well as any movies, a player and whatever else you'd need at the destination. It says it will work with a thumb drive so if that's all you need then it might not be so bad to carry.
It feels very solid and well put together. The zoom looked like more than 1.1 times . color was good. There is a function which allows you to pick what color the wall is so that it can compensate for it. Resolution and clarity is good. Its natural resolution is 720p which worked well with my 3D movies. Not sure how much better 1080p would look but to have that as its natural resolution you'd have to spend way more than a thousand dollars. Not what I want to spend for a projector. For the price, this projector is an excellent value. For my intended uses, though, I need a projector that has an audio output. Something I could only realize when I had actual use of it.
on May 9, 2014
Writing from Bangalore, India. Ordered this item from Amazon.com and a friend carried this back to India. As a first time PJ user, I was in a confusion whether to go for a 1080p PJ or a 720p PJ. After doing all the research i decided to buy the Acer H5370BD - a 720p resolution PJ and today I absolutely do not regret on my decision, I do not see any reason to go for a 1080p PJ. This serves the purpose of a human eye fantastically well. An absolute value for money PJ!!!
on July 1, 2015
I bought this projector and it worked fine for about a year. Then it went dead. After a couple phone calls to Acer's outsourced support, I had to pay $80 shipping to send it in for repair. Two weeks later I received it back. It worked for 3 days and broke again! I shipped it back, they returned it fixed. 3 months later it broke a third time!

It is currently sitting in my garbage can.
review image
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2014
So clear, crisp, perfect! I love it! Extremely powerful light (I can see during the day with the sun on the screen). Gaming is....crazy! Would recommend to anyone looking for an alternative to a TV. :)

UPDATE: Owned for over 8 months, still works perfectly at 2400 hours on lamp. I now have a screen that is 11 feet!
on April 30, 2014
*EDIT* AVOID AVOID AVOID

Acer has non-existant customer support. My projector died with 63 hrs on the bulb, but was 1.5 years old and out of warranty. This was great when it worked, but now it's a disposable $500 projector. Figure 1 year if you are lucky.
on March 17, 2014
I bought this after spending quite a bit of time looking for a good deal on a TV or projector. I was open to either. I primarily watch sports or movies, but sometimes play XBox with it. Signals come from the XBox, Fios Cable box, or my laptop. All work great.
2 of my friends have a 55 and 60 inch TV and this just blows them away for watching the game.
I have never used the 3D mode.
No audio out is an inconvenience, but I just go direct from the source to my sound system. Xbox was the only issue because I needed an adapter to hook up the cables.
I run it in ECO mode all the time and have no issues with picture quality. That also make the fan very quiet, although it's not a big deal regardless of mode.
Even during the day, I get a good picture, although, I have the shades drawn on the windows that would shine on that wall. Regular room lighting is no issue and the picture is bright and clear.
I suppose I would prefer 1080 in principle, but as noted above, a 100 inch 720 projection looks way better than my friends 1080 60 in screen.
I have a screen to project onto, but it's a little too big for my apt and I am projecting directly on to the wall which is painted off-white.