on July 7, 2012
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
The screen is gorgeous! Some have said it's not very bright -- you got to be kidding! At Max brightness it will burn your eyeballs out! What is awesome is that the LOWEST brightness is actually bearable. There ARE people out here who want to preserve their eyes! Note that the auto-brightness setting tends towards the low side.
Battery is life good but falls short of advertised. (see the Engadet review: [...]
Performance overall is decent, but less than I expected.
Quadrant showed the bottleneck to be I/O and 2D performance which they seem to test by panning an image. PDFs are slow to page-flip and scroll, but the kindle app and web browser fly!
There is obviously some inefficiencies there that perhaps Google can help with.
Videos are simply perfect - no problem there.
The unit does get warm on the lower right side (landscape), but not hot.
the poetic case I bought works well with the unit so I don't notice the warmth. Poetic HardBack Protective Case for ACER ICONIA TAB A510 / ACER ICONIA TAB A700 Black With HandStrap with Built-in Folding Cover - Black(Intergrated HandStrap)(Stylus Holder is a Plus) (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)

Overall this is a solid, beautiful unit for the price. It will be my new productivity workhorse!

UPDATE:
After two weeks of owning this device, I have to step up my rating from 4 stars to 5. Forget the 2D benchmark! This is now my most used computing device. Reading pdfs with EzPDF reader is sweet! The high res screen makes text pleasant to read and the moderate brightness at the lowest brightness setting means you can actually read comfortably without eye fatigue.
The killer app for me is Irssi ConnectBot with it's text zoom feature (vol. control buttons). Coupled with the Logitech keyboard for Android 3.0+ Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0+ (920-003390) (which, BTW, I am using to type this review :) SSH has never been this good!

Battery life is reasonable. I turn Bluetooth and WIFI off if I am not using them (which is so easy to do on Android 4.0) and just get my work done. Please note that battery shelf-life is also good. I can leave the unit several days (WIFI and Bluetooth off) without significant drain. This is not the case with my Asus Transformer (not Prime) with it's supposedly 14hr battery life with keyboard. Even with Asus completely off, battery would degrade within a week!

I think I also neglected to mention above that 3D performance is right up there in the top where it ought to be. So this device is no slouch! There is some room for optimization for 2D, but it's nothing that slows me down any.
If you are looking for a high res device and thinking the only decent option is that "other" tablet, think again. The open file system and memory expandability of this device (they provide two USB cables for connecting standard USB devices, a long one and a short one) make it a no-brainer for a user looking for a highly productive device. This is a score!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
It looks like Amazon had a limited "early release" so I got my A700 on 6/21 and have had quite a bit of time to play with the device and get a solid feel for what I hoped would be my next tablet. Unfortunately it would appear Acer didn't make any changes to resolve the thermal issues. However, I will go ahead and write a new full review anyways as there are some noteworthy differences and new info. If you read my review of the A510, some of this will look familiar.

The only changes from the A510 to A700 are the new 1080p display, redesigned AC adapter, and some new Acer software modifications to ICS. Everything else is virtually identical. And as noted before, I am comparing this to several other tablets I've owned in the past, including the Acer Iconia A510, ASUS Transformer TF201, Blackberry Playbook, and Toshiba Excite AT305.

PERFORMANCE:

Compared to the A510, I immediately noticed a drop in performance. Even when performing basic task such as swiping, looking through apps, and opening programs, it's quite obvious the tablet is working harder to render things on the screen and it's just not quite as fluid as before. Especially while multi-tasking and running processes in the background. I suspect this confirms my original concern that the Tegra3 might have some issues handling the 1080p resolution, which is considerably higher than before.

This could be a combination of not enough CPU/RAM/GPU performance and/or OS/Apps not fully optimized to handle the higher resolution. I played a few high-end games, such as ShadowGun, GTA, Siegecraft, Zen Pinball, and Glowball. The games still looks very good, but I can already notice a slightly lower frame rate here. With the exception of Siegecraft, which was way too slow, the rest were still playable. An update to some titles could help, but once again, this could still be a hardware limitation.

One of the most disappointing features was how poorly it's handling PDF's. One of the biggest advantages of the 1080p display is actually being able to read in portrait mode. Which I certainly can; the text is very clear and legible. Unfortunately scrolling through the pages is annoyingly slow and choppy. I tried several apps with the same results; even some that just change the page versus scrolling to the next one.

Playing videos, surfing the internet, and other related tasks still run as good as they always have on a Tegra3 device. I performed the usual benchmarks, and as I recall, they were right around where the A510 was.

Antutu Benchmark v2.8.2:
Total Score: 10,569
CPU: 6595
GPU: 1185
RAM: 2170
I/O: 619

Quadrant Standard: 3,624

CF-Bench v1.2 Overall Score: 11,674

This of course isn't all that relevant in real-world use (especially for 1080p content), but worth noting for those interested.

OS:

Out of the box, ICS 4.04 was already installed (vs. 4.03) which really only adds a few minor behind the scene changes such as smoother screen rotation, overall stability, and improved the camera. Acer did modify the task menu by adding in some nifty new shortcuts to turn on/off features such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Notifications, etc. Asus's menu still looks nicer, but it's a welcome addition.

As before, the Acer ring is still present, looking circular as ever. It provides shortcuts to access volume, search, settings, browser, gallery, screenshots, and handy preview of favorite websites to visit. I could live without it, but it's nice to see manufactures adding nice touches to an otherwise plain Android experience.

The ring even extends to the lock screen to quickly access certain applications. Otherwise that's really about it. If you've played with ICS before, this should all be very familiar.

DISPLAY:

When I first wrote the review of the A510, I had a pretty big issue with the "grid effect." Some don't notice it, while others such as myself can be quite bothered by it. Beyond that, the screen was perfectly acceptable. I went into quite a detailed explanation of this in the A510 review, so I'll focus on the A700 here. Its only limitation was what affects all other lower resolution displays. Smaller text will look blurry and hard to read.

I'm happy to report that the new display resolved all of my previous concerns. The screen is reasonably bright with vivid colors, great viewing angles, nice color balance, and best of all - no grid effect! Unfortunately my screen did have a small amount of light bleed in the bottom right corner. It's nowhere near as bad as the AT305, but it's there. This could be a defect in my unit only, but due to the heat issue, I won't be exchanging it for another one.

This display is certainly not IPS as evidence by the fact that it's not exactly super bright. This isn't helped by the auto-brightness setting which likes defaulting to super-dim, although that's easy enough to turn off. Outdoor viewing could still be an issue for some. The display also has a slightly warmer tint than the A510, but nowhere near the yellowish tint of the TF201. I prefer the balance the AT305 had, which was very neutral. It still looks good and does have the advantage of providing a good color temp for movies.

One last thing to keep in mind is scaling. Any game or application that doesn't support 1080p will require the tablet to scale to the higher res, or "stretch" the image to fill all of the new pixels, which will tend to look slightly blurry or not as "crisp" as it should. Some do a better job than others, but this is the same effect you would notice when watching a low-res video or game on a new high-res computer monitor. Tablets are no exception here. Hopefully most developers will update their games.

WIRELESS:

Wireless performance is excellent. Other than the TF201, which has well known wireless issues, the A700 is right on par with all of the other tablets I've tested. Bluetooth works just as it should, pairing up to my BT headphones without an issue. GPS is also still excellent. I didn't even have to go outside and I already had 12 satellites detected as noted by the GPS Test application.

SPEAKERS:

There isn't a lot to say about the speakers, but they sound so darn good I felt they deserved their own section. :) There are 2 speakers located at the bottom of the device and they sound fantastic (for a tablet). Compared to the single speaker located on the right/back of the TF201, the A510 blows it away. The AT305 was close, but I still found the A510/700 to have a fuller sound. There are also some Dolby specific settings which add some EQ and sound profiles to play with and make them sound even better.

The only concern is how this will work with certain cases that let you use the tablet in "stand" mode, as they would be blocked. Hopefully case designers take this into consideration, because it would be a shame to block such nice sounding speakers.

Too bad they couldn't put them front facing as they are on the Blackberry Playbook, which also has great speakers. I did notice Samsung is making the change to front facing speakers, so that's a good sign.

HARDWARE:

The physical build quality is excellent. It has a very solid feel and all the buttons and inputs you'd want. You have your standard front/rear cameras where they normally are. Volume rocker is at the top along with a rotation hold switch. Power is at the left directly above the headphone jack. To the right is the MicroHDMI port. Below this on the right is a flimsy flap covering the MicroSD port and what looks like a dead/blank spot for a SIM card (maybe on a future model). I can already see this flap falling off and/or breaking in the future. Stereo speakers are located on the bottom.

Also on the bottom is the MicroUSB port which also doubles as a proprietary power charger for the device. There is also an included MicroUSB -> USB adapter that lets you connect normal USB devices such as keyboards, mice, game controllers, or even a good `ol USB Flash Drive. Unfortunately due to the higher power requirements of tablets, you can't charge it with your PC USB port or your average MicroUSB power adapters that come with smart phones.

The AC adapter has been slightly redesigned from the A510. The portion that connects to the bottom port is now much smaller and is angled to the left. Since the USB portion is shorter, there shouldn't be any more issues with folks not inserting all the way.

As expected from the spec sheet, the A510 itself is noticeably thicker and heavier than any other tablet I've used. But it's not enough to deter most folks from buying it. In fact, because of its soft-touch backing and added thickness, I found it nicer to hold for extended periods of time. At least until you notice that the right-side of the device is becoming unusually warm.

BATTERY:

Battery life is one of the biggest issues with any portable electronic device. Fortunately much if it's added weight and thickness is due to the 9800mAh battery. This is easily one of the longest lasting tablets I've used. The higher res screen is supposed to require a bit more power than the A510, although there wasn't a noticeable drop in life with normal usage. I suspect extended 1080p video/gaming would drain a little more.

I was still able to use it all day long with various tasks such as playing games, surfing, running benchmarks, and installing applications. I was still at 30% by end of the day and still had a bit more to go. Naturally, your results will certainly vary. But it's safe the say you'll get more life than most other Android tablets.

HEAT:

This is where we get back to my biggest issue noted with the first two A510's I went through. This is by far the hottest running tablet I've ever used. The first thing I did was bring out my trusty Mastercool Infrared Thermometer and start taking some measurements while performing various tasks. Just surfing the `net causes the right side to get hot enough to make my hand sweat after a few minutes. The hot area is at the right/back side. The left has never gone above 90 degrees.

While surfing the web, expect about 106 degrees. This is also coincidentally the same temp I noted while sitting idle and charging. Although for all testing, it was on battery power. Downloading and installing apps pushes it closer to 109 degrees. And the highest temp I saw will be a toasty 113 degrees when gaming it up with these awesome Tegra3 titles.

Essentially these are the same exact temps I saw with the A510. This is a big reason I won't be exchanging it for another one and why I'm quite disappointed that Acer didn't bother to address this.

Pros:
+ Nice 1080p Display.
+ Excellent Dolby stereo speakers
+ Micro USB Port (and full size USB adapter)
+ Solid feel and build quality
+ Plenty of easy to use buttons, ergonomic
+ Wi-Fi and even GPS work extremely well.
+ Improved charging adapter
+ Great battery life

Cons:
- Quite noticeably heavier and thicker than the current competition.
- No Flash for Camera
- Way too hot
- Sluggish performance
- Minor light bleed*

CONCLUSION:

The two big negatives for me is going to be heat and performance. Both are deal killers for me. Especially the heat issue since this should have been resolved by Acer after seeing all of the negative comments from A510 users. The light-bleed would have also been an automatic exchange, but the other two issues make that rather pointless.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying this is a "bad" tablet. There are a lot of "Pro's" to keep in mind.

The relatively low price of $450 combined with a nice screen and "livable" performance will be all some folks need to see. In particular those who don't mind the heat, which based on some reviews I saw of the A510, there are quite a few. Not to mention we do have to remember this is the 1st 1080p Android tablet to hit the market. Software updates can do wonders when it comes to performance improvements.

So where to go from here? I could wait and see if the faster and higher spec'd Asus TF700 can bring everything together in a solid package. If not, I may simply wait for Microsoft to (hopefully) save the day in a few months. :)
4848 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2012
Color Name: Black
Amazon delivered my A700 last Friday and I've spent many hours since, messing with it. I've install a large number of apps & games to try out. I did not do a full factory reset when I got the A700, as some have recommended elsewhere.

Pros: The HD screen is fantastic. I compared it against my gal's iPad 1 and iPad 3, and it is easily comparable to the iPad 3. The iPad 3's resolution is a hair better, but one can only tell if you are looking very closely - for all practical purposes, they are on par. I found that using auto-adjust brightness, left the screen too dim to my tastes. Instead I manually set the screen to approximately 30% brightness, and found that that setting is suitable for everything except outdoor direct sunlight. When I tested outdoors, I kicked up the brightness and found that 80% was the minimum needed to be usable in direct sunlight. Additionally, there is no backlight bleed.

As an Android fan, I like to tweak my devices & am a strong believer that Android's 3rd party offerings are one of its strong points. That being said, I've disabled Acer Ring, and installed Chrome & Dolphin to replace the stock browser, Nova Launcher to replace the stock launcher, and QuickPic to replace the gallery. It is also trivial to unlock the bootloader & a rooting method has already been released.

The A700 has a very solid heft and feel to it. It does not feel like it is cheaply-built. I like having dual speakers and found that the sound was good. Finally, per the Service Guide, the A700 is very easy to dismantle.

Cons: Acer did install some redundant bloatware apps, which I immediately disabled. These include the Amazon App Store, an Acer Photo & Video app, Acer Ring, and a worthless anti-virus app. Thankfully, this is the only con I could come up with except...

Heat: This deserves its own section. The A510 had reported heat issues and the A700 definitely shares that as well. Due to the internal design, the CPU/GPU mainboard is on the lower right and when used heavily, can become unbearably hot. In my experience over the weekend, I found that casual use such as browsing, e-mail, & other productivity apps only resulted in the A700 getting warm but not uncomfortable.

However, when I play-tested several games - Heavy Gunner, Flick Football, & Cut The Rope, the A700 got HOT. I use a Poetic HardBack Case, which "insulates" my hand but inhibits heat dissipation. Additionally, the A700 did crash on me a few times while gaming. I presume that the crashes were due to heat, but am uncertain. After each crash, I'd remove the A700 from the case to feel it back "naked," and it was excessively hot... hot enough that I wouldn't have continued gaming had the tablet been naked. I spent about 1 hour TOTAL, play-testing the above three games and all crashes occurred within that timeframe.

After spending time studying the internal photos of the A700 from the Service Guide, I opened up the A700 last night (very easy). The back panel is lined with a thin copper panel and there are three thermal pads which contact different points on the mainboard. I theorized that the pads don't have the same "tight" contact as a CPU & heatsink normally do, thus the heat transfer was notwhere near as efficient as it could be. I applied some thermal paste and am pleased to report that that did the trick! I've posted a detailed write-up with photos on XDA.

Summary: The A700 was a tablet that I *liked* & really wanted to *LOVE* but the heat issue was standing in the way. Now that my thermal paste mod has mitigated the heat issue, I'm happy to say that this tablet rocks. A shame that Acer I had to do this myself, but as a technologist, I'm okay with that... but fully realize that the general consumer won't. Their loss & Acer's loss, since this is otherwise a rock-solid piece of hardware.

UPDATE: After further research, gathering temperature metrics from other A700 owners, and now some temperature metrics from a TF700 owner (in Europe), I can confidently conclude that the A700 definitely runs MUCH hotter than its counter-part. While my thermal grease trick helped a little, it is still not enough to mitigate heat over a longer period of time.

I keep wanting to love this tablet... but I don't think I can... and am finally admitting it.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2012
Color Name: Black
My household has several tablets - Asus TF101, Kindle Fire (original model), Samsung Tab 2 7" & Nexus 7. After using the Nexus 7 for my main tablet I knew I wanted my next 10" tablet to be 1920 x 1200+ resolution. I was having a hard time deciding between the Acer A700 and the Asus Infinity TF700. The Asus TF700 is an awesome tablet (especially the Super IPS+ display), but there have been many reports of build quality and software problems. The A700 on the other hand has been reported (here and elsewhere) to have issues with heat dissipation. An update to Jelly Bean was recently released by Acer for the A700 and quite a few owners reported that the heat issue was largely resolved. About the time that Jelly Bean was pushed to the A700 it's price dropped to ~ $350. So I took a chance and purchased one.

The A700 has largely exceeded my expectations. It's screen is gorgeous, the battery seems to last forever and it feels great in my hands. It's slightly heavier than the TF700, but the extra weight makes it feel solid and well-built. I would suggest to anyone considering buying an A700 to go and find one in a brick-and-mortar store for a hands-on to feel how good the tablet is to handle and/or use before purchase.

As far as software goes, the A700 with the Jelly Bean update has only minor modifications by Acer and can be customized like any Android tablet. HD Widgets (an app I strongly recommend) look stellar, especially the Hi-Res pack add-on.

For those still concerned about excess heat after Jelly Bean, I used the System Tuner app to check the cpu temperature both before and after the update. CPU temps were ~ 20 - 30 degrees cooler after the JB update. My A700 tablet now gets no hotter than my Nexus 7 now, and definitely runs cooler than my Galaxy Nexus phone when under load. As a side note, I have never experienced any heat-related reboots or crashes, either before or after the JB update.

All things considered - price, screen resolution, build quality, cpu speed, battery life - I would recommend the A700 to anyone looking for a well-built Android tablet with a hi-res screen.

UPDATE 8/12/13: It's been 10 months since my initial review (above) and this is still a great tablet. It's still more than fast enough for everything I use it for - web browsing, moderate gaming and watching HD movies. The battery still lasts seemingly forever on a full charge. The only two negatives that I would mention are the AC adapter (it's non-standard) and the weight (it's a little on the heavy side). At the current price of $282 here on Amazon though this tablet is an absolute STEAL. I have been looking for a replacement for it the last few months and have found nothing that I thought was a worthy upgrade when taking cost into consideration. Sure, there are better 10.1" tablets out now but none are worth $400+ compared to just keeping the A700 a while longer IMHO. Maybe the upcoming 2013 Nexus 10 or Infinity Pad will be a big enough upgrade to make me retire the A700...
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2012
Color Name: Black
I just recently received my A700 as a 33rd Bday gift and I must say......this tablet is really in a league of its own. So far I haven't been able to put it down. I've owned an iPad, I've owned previous Android tablets, but this experience has been the best yet for a tablet. I would highly recommend it to anybody looking for a Tablet in this price range.

- The HD screen makes web browsing and watching videos on Youtube or HD AVI's look amazing.
- The speed and storage seem to be plenty thus far! I have over 10 HD movies and 3000 songs with no lag noticed.
- The Dolby speaker system work pretty good too as I've used them to listen to music at the beach.
- The battery life is also pretty impressive considering the use I put it through. I seem to never see it below half battery.
* I travel for work and I've gone from SFO to BOS, watched two movies, and plenty of chess with no battery issue.
- More and more Android apps seem to be popping up that are fun to discover and continue adding value.
- A big feature that I've taken advantage of is the SD card. Once you have one (or if you don't) you will notice the beauty of having the ability to increase local storage space. Future proof.
- Google with their OS updates also seem to give me comfort that I'm not using something that will go obsolete soon. I'm always checking the blogs for updates!

Bottom line- If you're looking for a tablet does everything you want a tablet to do, and is future proof, this is probably the best bet out. Very happy.
on July 30, 2012
Color Name: Silver
This past weekend I had the chance to use the new Acer A700 10" tablet for a 2 day evaluation. I had done the same with the A100 and A500 when they were first released. While those two earlier models didn't really 'grab me', this A700 was quite impressive.

First, the display quality is spectacular! The full HD image is just outstanding. I used the Zinio magazine app to view one of my favorite photography magazines and the image displays were amazingly clear and crisp. Just fantastic. The ports and controls on this device provide all the access and control I could ask for. The volume rocker button has little rubber bumps that allow you to feel the switch and the direction without having to take you eyes off of the screen. That is a surprisingly handy little feature. The standard browser worked quickly and smoothly with no objectionable lag. The unit was easy to hold & light weight. The battery life was impressive. My spouse and I made regular use of the device all day on Sunday and still had lots of battery power left at the end of the day. BTW, the adapter is compact and easily connected to the unit for charging.

I've seen comments about the unit getting hot, as well as others saying it does not get hot. I used it a lot, played videos, games, etc. and never experienced anything uncomfortable. Warm? Yes, I could feel the warm spot on the right lower rear, when held in landscape orientation. My spouse played several games for awhile and informed me that it was NOW hot. She passed it to me and I felt the rear panel. It was warm, but not hot. I asked her if she found this temp. uncomfortable to hold and she said no. So it was NOT hot.

I would give this unit two thumbs up, only because I don't have more thumbs. I strongly recommend it.

UPDATE: One more thing on the heat issue... There is a very good and detailed review earlier on this site where the reviewer measured 113 degrees F on the hottest spot on the A700. That's a great piece of info and it is much appreciated. Now, 113 is a big number and it SOUNDS pretty hot. But here in the midwest our outside temps were as high as 106 last week. Now 113 isn't a whole lot warmer than 106. While it makes for a warm day, and we were looking for shade, that temp on the fingers and hand isn't really very hot. It certainly won't burn or injure anyone and I suspect many, like me, would not even find it uncomfortable. So 'hot' is a subjective term that means different things to different people. But 113 is an objective measure and I thank that reviewer for his measurement.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 7, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I have had the tablet about 5 days now. I don't do the hardcore games so can't comment about the overheating due to games.

I had an A500 so I'm comparing it to a first generation tablet. It set up easily and ran well, but I had performance issues from the start. The following tricks solved my problems:

1. Go into Settings: Display: Font Size and set to Normal.
2. Go into Settings: Accessibility: Large Text and make sure it's unchecked.
3. Go into Settings: Ring and turn off that stupid ring thing on the bottom of your screen all the time.

These three fixes made the tablet speed up dramatically. It is much more "sporty."
PROS:
The screen is great. I can read text without it hurting after a while. Even tiny text. The letters are very crisp and pleasing.
Audio is nice through headphones, but the Dolby Mobile sucks. I turned it off. I suggest you do too.
Video playback is "phenomenal." I played some HD trailers of movies from Youtube. No stutters, no wait, nothing but sharp, smooth running video. VERY NICE!
The browser had issues before fixes 1-3. Now it is fast and responsive.

CONS:
Audio through the built in speakers is a little better than the A500 but still sucks like every other tablet.
It uses a micro-USB port ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TABLET. You can't use a case in Landscape position while it charges or is connected to a USB device unless you turn the device upside down with your speaker controls on the bottom. Who thought this one up? It's not horrible, but after having side mounted everything this is a pretty big annoyance. The A500 was much better laid out for ports.
No regular USB port- Now you have to use a dongle for everything USB. I had one of those cheap USB sticks that's barely bigger than the port itself. It worked wonderful for cheaply storing massive quantities of music, etc. Now you must use SDXC cards.

OTHER:
Overall, I really like the tablet for everyday things. I can touch type with a bluetooth keyboard and it feels like a low end laptop. It will do the job for notes and other minor work stuff without the lumbering mess of a laptop. Haven't used a mouse yet. The screen can be seen at almost any angle without color shifting and washing. There has been some debate about what kind of screen it has, but I don't care- it just works well. Every USB device I've stuck on it works without issues.

HEAT:
I've noticed it but haven't really been bothered by it except maybe once. I had a weird touch screen issue where a quarter of the screen stopped working. The tablet appeared hot so I just turned it off once and then back on. That's the only time I have turned off this tablet. I have a bluerex case and it appears to protect me from heat well.

If you're wondering if you should get it- Yes you should.
on July 29, 2012
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
I own both the a700 and the tf700t, having upgraded from two a500's (which I was happy with). I have owned the a700 since June 16th and used it up until passing it on to my girlfriend last week. I have owned the tf700t since the 20th of July. These are my observations: Both tablets have touch screen issues. The tf700t seems to have improved after a recent update. Both displays are beautiful, both have great viewing angles, however the Asus is brighter. I do not play high graphic games on either tablet, that said, the tf700t dissipates heat better (not that I am bothered or worried about the a700's heat). In the sound department the advantage by far goes to the a700. Two speakers, Dolby, and slightly better placement wins out. Both tablets exhibit lag in the browser. I would give build quality to the a700. It just feels better to me. It is slightly heavier but that does not bother me. I don't use the camera or video on either tablet; on paper the Asus has the advantage. The Acer has the better battery life. The Acer also came with the micro to full-size USB adapter, I had to pay $17 for the Asus adapter. I like that the a700 has a cover for the micro SD, the tf700t does not. I like that the a700 does not use proprietary ports. Charge port is of the micro USB variety, the tf700t's charging port is proprietary.

Overall, I like the Acer a700 a little bit more than the Asus tf700t. I have had no major issues with it. I have had issues with the Asus tf700t. Freezing, wifi connectivity (slow to connect), and the dreaded white screen off death. Recent update did not fix those problems...happened to me before and after the update (except for White screen). If only the Acer a700 had the higher clock speed and ddr3 RAM, it would be the better tablet for sure. For now, I hope Asus gets on their horse and fix the issues with their tablet.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2012
Color Name: Black
Having owned several android tablets already I must say I was very impressed when I first used this product. The screen is really amazing and the resolution is awesome. To be fair, I wasn't sure how much weight to put on the screen resolution, but after seeing it first hand it is definitely a big bonus.

Also very impressive is the battery life. Not only for watching movies and actively using it, but it feels like the standby time lasts forever. The second week I had it I left for a trip and didn't think much of it and just locked the screen. When I got home and turned it on several days later (I think 5), I don't think the battery level even dropped at all. Very cool. I would recommend this product to anyone seeking a very affordable high quality android tablet.
on June 28, 2012
Color Name: Silver
After reading other reviews... Heat issues? Not that I've found. Its been running cool with no issues. I've powered external hard drives and and put it through as many tests as possible. Nothing made it even warm. I'm not saying the others who have written about it are wrong, just that I didnt get the same results. Moving on...

I had an a500 and I really liked it even though it was a compromise. The GPS and Wifi on the a500, frankly, sucked. The a700 is WAY better. The a700 is now a tablet I dont have to compromise with. The power over USB is terrific (as it was with the a500 as well)since I can use a USB hard drive for large storage without an external power source. The screen is wonderful, audio is as well.

My only very, very tiny negative observation? A quite small amount of lag with the keyboard when typing. I suspect we will get an update to address this soon. I'm happy!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations