4.0 out of 5 stars 7" Android Tablet Wars
Published on January 3, 2013 by Jody K. Wong

1.0 out of 5 stars Competition for the Nexus 7
Published on December 23, 2012 by James Mac

4.0 out of 5 stars 7" Android Tablet Wars, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Acer Iconia Tab A110-07g08u 7-Inch 8 GB Tablet (Gray) (Personal Computers)
I've owned or worked with 4 different 7" Android OS tablets. Here's a comparison. When choosing a tablet it's all about what you will use it for. I like the Acer Iconia A110 the most because it has the most "utility". It's sort of the jack of all trades of these devices. It may not do anything the best but it can do the most. I hope that makes sense. I hope my review will help you choose your tablet.

Acer Iconia A110 - $199
Pros - GPS, HDMI Out, Micro SD card slot, Google Play
Cons - Screen Resolution 1024 x 600, Speed is just a tad bit slower than the others,the device is physically thicker and more bulky than the others.
Notes: This would be a 5 star product if it had a better screen. Only 8GB internal storage without adding a micro SD card. I am able to stream amazon flash based videos by downloading a different browser than the stock chrome. This device runs Android OS 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Kindle Fire HD - $199
Pros - Performance Speed, HDMI Out, Amazon Instant Video, Screen Resolution 1280 x 800
Cons - No GPS, No Micro SD Card Slot, No Android Market/Google Play (Amazon Market only by default), Have to purchase wall charger separately, Layout isn't the standard Android OS GUI. Amazon has created their own UI.
Notes: Excellent product but the lack of GPS and micro sd card slot is disappointing. The amazon based apps (kindle books & video etc..) have a wonderful UI in comparison to the other 3 devices. 16GB internal storage for the same price as the others is better value. This device is very "sleek" This device runs Android OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) under the Amazon Kindle GUI.

Google Nexus 7 - $199
Pros - Performance Speed, GPS, Screen Resolution 1280 x 800, Google Play
Cons - No Micro SD card Slot No HDMI Out
Notes: Great product would easily be the best unit if they added HDMI out and a micro sd card slot. This device has 16GBs of storage like the Kindle Fire HD. This devices runs Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) by default.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - $199
Pros - Performance Speed, GPS, Micro SD Card Slot, Google Play
Cons - Screen Resolution 1024 x 600, No HDMI Out (they make a hdmi out adapter for the other galaxy tab/note models but not for the 7").
Notes: Only 8GBs of internal storage like the Acer Iconia A110. This device runs Android OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) by default.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong piece of hardware - screen angle is only slight drawback, November 13, 2012
B. Murphy (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
If you've kept up on the latest in tablet releases, this little gem might have come across your list. We all know by now that, contrary to the speedy 7" tablets that have been released by Google and Samsung, they don't offer HDMI out or SD Card expansion at the competitive price we've been looking for (Around $200). I own an Asus Transformer Prime and a Google Nexus 7 so I am no stranger to a good quality screen. My very first tablet was an Archos 7 and it had the same exact screen resolution as the Acer 110 so I already knew what to expect.

My big need was the HDMI out and the SD card slot. I don't mind making sure I hold the tablet at a decent angle as I use it in bed a lot or in the bathroom as I get ready in the morning. Honestly, this device did NOT disappoint. At first, there was a really disappointing connection issue. The Wifi signal indicated excellent but I was only getting two bars on the icon. Sure enough, Acer was on it and an update fixed it....big time. I mean, the connection on this thing is quite impressive for me. In the furthest corner of my house away from the router, I get all bars in the WIfi icon and signal strength is excellent. Videos loaded fast and content and general operation are quick.

Overall, I am very pleased with this tablet. You do have to know what you're getting and I realize that folks have been turned off by the screen but it's really not bad at all. Quite legible with small text....I was actually pleased. Keep in mind, they have to let some things go when they get the price down this low. Weigh your options...what do you REALLY need in a tablet? If you need the HDMI out and SD card expansion WITH a high quality screen....then first of all, let ME know what you can find at this price because I had no luck otherwise! ; )

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet getting bad rap!, December 26, 2012
This is my first tablet and I was looking for the most for my money, staying in the $200 range. My original choice was sold out so I opted for this model and I am not disappointed at all. I've read reviews stating that the screen doesn't rotate. Well it doesn't right out the box, however, there were 3 immediate updates and "voila"...rotating screen (even updside down)! The next complaint I saw was no Adobe Flash, which is downside. After a little research on the Acer website, I found that Adobe removed their product from Google Play. Again, a fix...Acer provided a link to download an older version of Flash and I'm in business! I have no problem with the screen brightness and when the auto brightness is disabled the screen is much brighter. I was able to use Google Maps, not as on my Galaxy S3, but well enought to not get loss. And I would be willing to bet Acer will provide an update to address this if enough folks complain. I also downloaded Swype Beta keyboard so now the tablet keyboard works just like my S3 and I can take notes super fast! We have multiple wi-fi networks and the tablet automatically connects to the one with the strongest signal depending upon where I am, seamlessly.

This is a great tablet for the price, especially if you can get it on sale. The sd card slot is definitely a plus (expandable to 40gb with a 32gb card) and I'm a fan of JellyBean anyway. The hdmi output make watching Netflix on my large screen a breeze. I have no complaints. I am sure if I looked hard enough, I could catch "tablet envy" about the bells & whistles of other tablets. However, this does what I need it to do for a great price; no more, no less!

1.0 out of 5 stars Competition for the Nexus 7, December 23, 2012
James Mac (Connecticut yankee) - See all my reviews
First let me start out by saying that Acer has terrible customer service. Pray that nothing ever goes wrong with the device and that you do not have to deal with Acer for repairs. I purchase 2 of these devices as Christmas gifts for my Niece and Nephew they no longer are able to be recharged. Tried several USB cords with no success. Should not have problems after only about 4 months of use. My sister sent one to ACER customer service without removing the micro SD card and not only did they destroy the tablet, they also did not return the memory card.
I own a Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) but in comparison the ACER Iconia offered 2 advantages over the Nexus 7 which I thought would be more useful for a pair of High school teens and that is the HDMI output and Micro SD port. Knowing what I now know I would have purchase two additional Nexus 7's as gifts.
Without any problems this tablet could be a great little device as I compared it side by side to my Nexus 7 and saw very little differences to raise one over the other. Both devices use a NVIDIA® Tegra(tm) 3 Quad Core Mobile Processor and the jellybean operating system and have an equally responsive touchscreen.
I would and initially rated this device much higher but since the tablet no longer charges or functions because poor customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet at a fair price., April 9, 2013
I spent the past two weeks trying to find a tablet that met five requirements:

1) It needed HDMI out.
2) It needed an SD card slot.
3) It needed to be able to run as many emulators as possible.
4) It needed to be more "name brand" then the several "China" tablets out there.
5) $199 or less

I really thought I'd have to compromise. I was down to either the Kindle Fire HD or the Galaxy Tab 2. Both within $199. Each one made me compromise something! The Galaxy Tab had no HDMI out. The Kindle Fire HD has no SD card slot (and runs a wack version of Android).

I go to Best Buy prepared to pick up the Galaxy Tab 2 (I didn't want to deal with Amazon's Interface laid on top of ICS) and what did I see? The Acer Iconia A110.

I did some quick research. HDMI Out. SD Card slot. Tegra 3 T30L (same as the Nexus 7). Not some piece of crap like the Visual Land 7.

How in the world I managed to not even know this thing existed was beyond me but I didn't care. I bought the thing.

I owned (and my wife now owns) a Nexus 7 so I have them both right here to compare. The major difference is the screen. 1024x600 on the A110 vs 1280x800 on the Nexus 7. The A110 has some weird viewing angles vs the Nexus 7 which has a fantastic screen. If you have never owned a Nexus 7 then you probably won't even care. It took me a bit to get used to the A110's screen but it is sure as heck better than the typical 800x480 resolution of most cheap $100 tablets.

I decided to run some benchmarks. AnTuTu specifically. On the A110 you have the ability to choose a "performance" mode. High Performance, Balanced or Power saver. I ran AnTuTu against all three.

My Nexus 7 scored a 12060 running the latest completely stock version of 4.2.

The A110:

High Performance: 13038
Balanced: 12223
Power saver: 8624

All around the A110 does better at 2d/3d because of the smaller resolution. High Performance saw gains over the Nexus 7 in 2D/3D and in the CPU tests.

Emulator wise I was able to play smoothly up through Playstation 1/N64 with no problems. MAME works well but stumbles on newer more complex games. I found it adequate for what I was looking for.

When it is all said and done I was able to find my dream tablet without compromise. Performance is on par or better than my Nexus 7 and the only real drawback is the screen which is not that bad. This tablet is worth checking out.

EDIT: I ended up finding the differences in the "performance" modes. High Performance runs the tablet at 1.3ghz, Balanced at 1.2ghz and Power Saver at 1ghz.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: This is a lemon for sure. Please read, May 29, 2013
Ill leave my original review below this to show just how my opinion has changed in the months of owning this tablet. Ive now had this tablet for nearly 4 months, and its on its way out to be repaired for THE SECOND TIME!! The screen burns out and gets spots in it very quickly. I know this because its now done it twice. Not to mention, now the mic is broken and needs repair, the micro USB is so worn out it barely holds its own charger in place and the tablet will randomly freak out and just auto select icons and so causing whatever youre doing at the time, to get messed up in a hurry. The only way to stop it from doing this is to just shut the tablet off completely and start again. It seems to like doing this every couple days and its VERY irritating. So here I am, getting ready to send this away AGAIN, for the second time to be repaired. At least ACER fixes the problems quickly, though dont bother calling their repair service, thats annoying enough to make you want to pull your hair out. So its emails or virtual chat for that.

ALSO the expandable memory slot is nearly useless. Why? Because you cant save games TO THE CARD, they have to stay on the tablets internal memory, and games will murder space. So unless youre just sticking pics or using it as a MP3 player, youre going to run out of space and need to do memory management quick enough. This tablet works well when it works, the problem is it wont last very long. Im incredibly disappointed with this product, and I can tell you as soon as the funds are available, Im going to buy something else and just leave this tablet for my kids to play with, that way when it breaks I wont be heart broken.

this tablet does have pros and cons, but far more pros then the coins. my only complaints, is the screen does fade on one angle,and it has a single speaker. the speaker is fairly loud, but it is still only one speaker. This tablet is a powerhouse, it handles videos from YouTube on high definition with no problems. It streams from Netflix with ease. It also handles its apps and widgets with no stutter or pause.I would recommend this tablet without batting an eye, and the fact that it has an HDMI output and an SD card slot, make it even better for the price. I would have given this tablet a5 star if it wasn't for the screen and the speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift surprise was the perfect tablet for my needs!, February 6, 2013
The powerful 4.1 Jelly Bean Android processor with 8 GB Flash Memory and 1 GB RAM Memory makes this a great device for a 7" tablet. I received this as a surprise birthday gift from my husband and he knew I wanted a small tablet to read my Kindle app books on, surf the web and use it on the go. The small size and light weight (0.85 lbs.) design make it comfortable to hold in one or two hands and it is easy to slip into my handbag for portable use. It is more fun to use to read books than my smartphone and I love surfing Facebook and shopping sites. The color screen (1024 x 600 resolution) is bright and clear and the processor is fast especially at downloading electronic books.
The tablet charges quickly and I get a full 7+ hours on each charge. I cannot imagine life without my tablet and the entertainment value I get from it daily. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small tablet, December 24, 2012
this fit absolutely all of my needs, which is getting more and more difficult for the smaller tablets out there. Don't listen to the resolution knocking. My picture is crisp and clear with no issues. Everything is quick and responsive, and the battery lasts at least the seven hours is says, but usually longer for me. It's a wonderful small tablet if you need something with expandable memory. I've had mine over a month and use it every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars too much bad hype, its a great tablet!, April 25, 2013
After reading many reviews, I've noticed they all say the same thing. Its all compared to the nexus 7. Performance is neck and neck, with the N7 being a little faster. But it was voted tablet of the year, so I guess that's good right? But the reviews turn ugly and start talking about screen resolution, viewing angle and build quality. The screen is not as good as the N7, but its still very good. I watch a lot of movies and have yet to be disappointed in this screen. Now viewing angles, who in the hell looks at anything than right in front of them if their the ones holding it! I mean look at the way you're reading this review. What angle is the screen? If anything this so called downside adds a little bit of security if you ask me. Build quality is not an issue. Do you really ask people to look at the plastic of your cell phone, or is it in a protective case? I Would say I love this tablet as much as I love my GS3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and recommended buying choice for a tablet, February 5, 2013
I've heard about the Acer Iconia from a nephew so I choose this model for my first device of this kind.
The Good: I like the price. The Tablet works very good and have a very nice design. Due to it's processor the speed is very good. Color and graphics display are sharp and fast. I've installed a 32 GB flash memory to increase it's storage capacity. The ACER chat service solving questions or technical issues is very good. The HDMI output works very good with my TV, great for HD movies.
The BAD: Need a back side camera, the USB port is not good to connect a Flash Memory for a file transfer. Can't connect it to the WiFi hotspot of an iPhone 5.