4.0 out of 5 stars Great WIndows 8 tablet at a budget
Note that this review is actually for the 32gb, not 64gb version. (64gb just have more space obviously, though they do install a backup partition which wastes a lot of it back...so if you are savvy enough you might want to get rid of that and make your own recovery DVD/flash drive instead.)

Ok, used this Acer W510 tablet reasonably extensively throughout the...
Published on December 7, 2012 by Luminus

2.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Requirements
I bought the Acer Iconia W510, but what I have to say applies to all of the Acer tablets. First, let me say that the tablet itself has worked well. However there are some things you should know before you buy:
Published 13 months ago by Coolhand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great WIndows 8 tablet at a budget, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Acer Iconia W510-1666 10.1-Inch 64 GB Tablet (Silver) (Personal Computers)

Ok, used this Acer W510 tablet reasonably extensively throughout the weekend....here's my layman's impression of the tablet (not Win8....you can read about changes in the OS elsewhere). I'd imagine the other atom-based tablets have similar performance, etc. I've also upgraded this tablet to pro (using the build-in add feature support in Win8). So that I can get media center. This should have no impact on what I say other than yours won't have media center on it. Pro doesn't have anything that makes the OS faster (if anything, slower from the extra features.)

Note that this machine has all windows update applied to it. I'm betting without it it'll likely crash a lot more.

Build:
Looks well-built and solid. Chassis is definitely plastic but it doesn't look plastic-y. Choice of white-matt brim on front is a bit weird if you ask me, but it isn't bad. Back is painted silver, but not the type that attracts fingerprint, which is nice. Speaker is very loud for a tablet, though not high quality. Also in a very bad location, pretty much on lower left/right side where your hand normally would muffle it if you are holding it. Note that this thing is supposedly thinner and lighter than the newest ipad, though I think the wide-screen ratio makes it feel a bit heavier if held with one hand.

Screen:
Whoever said the display is matt....nope, it's very shiny. Definitely glares in the sun, but looks nice and sharp. Resolution is 1366x768. It may not be retina-display level of DPI, but at regular-viewing distance, I think ppl would be hard-pressed to say the pixels are too big. Pictures look nice and sharp to me. Good enough viewing angle too to watch while laying flat on table.

Storage (note again mine is the 32gb version):
32gb in total, which as others have point out, OS takes up a chunk. ~10gb for OS plus some default apps excluding office. Office trial is like 2gb, which I uninstalled right away. Then there's ~2gb for virtual memory and 2gb for hibernation file, so that's around 14-15gb gone from the get go. For those that thinks the remaining 17gb isn't enough though, I tried my best to fill it with all the app that looks remotely decent in store, and I still have 3gb left. Just as a count, I installed:

- 6 productivity/connectivity apps (e.g. Lync, Skype)
- 7 video apps (e.g. Netflix, Hulu+, ABC player, youtube player.....)
- 4 music apps (e.g. iHeartRadio, Slacker, Shazam....)
- 5 shopping apps (e.g. newegg, ebay, amazon, digital folio)
- 10 drawing/photo apps (e.g. Autodesk Sketchbook, Fresh Paint, PhotoFUnia....)
- 6 cooking/food apps (e.g. Cookbook, Allrecipes, epicurious, Urbanspoon, FoodGraphic (3rd-party yelp)...)
- 28 news apps (e.g. WSJ, ABC news, NBC news, Fox news, New York Times, Stumbler, Wonderwall, engadget...)
- 7 book/reading apps (e.g.kindle, Kobo, wikipedia...)
- 19 games (just about every XBox Live game on it right now...including Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds Star Wars, Angry Birds Space, Pinball FX2, Hydro Thunder Hurricane...)
- 10 miscellaneous apps (e.g. Evernote, Skitch, a calculator, a weird app that makes spa-ish nature sounds....)

So if you don't think there's enough space for more than a handful of apps....I think you'll be surprised how much you can fit.

For some additional ideas on how big some apps are (Win8 has a handy list showing app apps you installed and how big they are):

Biggest apps on my machine (usually games):

- Reckless Racing Ultimate - 569mb
- Hydro Thunder Hurricane - 462mb
- ilomilo plus - 393mb
- 4 Elements II Special Edition - 291mb
- Mail, CLander, People, and MEssaging - 237mb

Majority of apps tend to be more like 20mb each. e.g. most news, photo apps, drawing apps, etc. Only 15 apps out of my giant list above is bigger than 100mb. So, is 32gb good enough? I'd say it's at least a usable size. Don't forget you can store your docs / videos / etc. on the microSD card (though I haven't tested it....my card is on backorder.) This is also one area where this really shines for me over an ipad....being able to save stuff to file system, and having apps be able to acess the file system. On my ipod touch, it used to drive me nuts figuring out how to get proprietary files not supported on itune to apps I want to view a document/file in, since apps don't seem to share storage space. Now I can just save the files on the file system and have various apps be able to access it.

General Performance:

As long as you stay in the win8 modern UI, everything's fast and snappy. Most apps I tried are performant enough. (More on that later.) You'd be surprised how decent a 2gb atom machine feels, mainly because OS knows to save state / kill apps for you if you are running low on memory, so that OS always feel snappy. But....as soon as you go into desktop mode, it reminds me of the old days of using a netbook. Everything's a little laggy, and it doesn't help how hard it is to click around with finger on the desktop. Will likely make you want to destroy the machine. If you want to use desktop extensively, this is not the machine for you. Works well if you only want desktop as a fallback though.

Startup Performance:

From a shutted down machine to seeing log-in screen - 10 sec. This includes the UEFI posting. (Note that this includes the win8 "cheat" that makes "cold" boot faster since it's not really cold. Some kernel stuff are safe. Just about no users will do a full cold boot anyway since you need command line. Sleep/wake is pretty much instantaneous.

Video Performance:

For those wondering about video performance, it looks like GPU-video decoding is supported. I installed shark's codec and tried a variety of 720p/1080p video and have absolutely no problem. Granted I didn't do a super-thorough check of different file types (too much effort to look into each file and use gspot to tell what bitrate everything is. If only there's a sample video pack for this type of testing somewhere out there to download.) Any case, I throw some 720p mkv file (though dunno what's the video codec inside), some 1080p h264 mov, some 1080p wtv (media center) file, some 1080p rmvb, some DVDs mounted in ISO format, some 1080p avi....so far, everything's running smoothly.

On the other hand, no luck so far getting PowerDVD to work with some BD-5 rips. The program keeps erroring out about can't read the mounted image. Strange.

Non-game App Performance:

Tried all the apps above, the only one with noticeable issue are drawing apps. In particular, those with really cool brushes like Fresh Paint that lets you blend paint on the brush stroke over each other (kinda like ArtRage) lags a lot. Other apps were all fine.

Game Performance:

Game is more of a hit-and-miss. I tested every game above for at least a level or two. Some games I'm amazed it even works, other I'm amazed it is laggy. Like, Hydro Thunder and pinball will run at a playable (but not great) framerate (15 fps I'd guess?), which is amazing for an atom / integrated chip, since they both looks 3d-intensive. On the other hand, can't understand how mah jong (the old matching tile game) and minesweeper can possibly feel slow. A few apps crashes outright (Adera, Gravity Guy, 4 Elements II. Fruit Ninja also crashes in end-round animation.) I'll assume it's the graphics driver's fault. So it seems like the graphic driver is surprisingly sufficient for casual touch games, if it doesn't crash. I think this is a good laptop if gaming is just something you'd like as an option. (i.e. if a game doesn't work you're not going to throw a tantrum.)

Stability:

Hmmm.... over the weekend of extensive usage (pretty much bring it everywhere and show to everyone I run into), 1 touch-screen hang where I have to reboot to get touch back, and 2 audio bugs where I have to reboot to get audio back. I'm assuming both driver issues.

Battery:

Very solid battery. I think it really is enough to survive a day of use without charge. Don't really feel like running a real battery test on it, but I don't think there'd be any complaints here.

Annoying bugs:

Touch screen / audio driver dying is obviously annoying. Another annoying design I haven't found a workaround for is pressing the windows key also wakes the machine up.....really? Sometimes I'd wake it by mistake when carrying it around. Now I learn to carry it upside-down to avoid touching that button.

Is it worth it:

I'd say, if you are looking for a tablet where you plan to mainly stay in modern Win8 experience, but like having a fallback to desktop if necessary (and to get all those old video codecs...my main reason for getting this). And if gaming is a nicety rather than a requirement, you really can't beat this. (In my case, it was a Black Friday sales, which makes it a steal.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, could have been perfect, just know what your buying, December 14, 2012
Great tablet, doesn't feel cheap at all, sure its plastic but it feels high quality. The design is somewhat reminiscent of the first generation Ipad, kind of a more flat edged design instead of curving which I like better. Don't be afraid of the Atom and 2gb of memory, it breezes through the new windows 8 interface perfect, switching apps and all the other gestures. games I've been trying to test half life didn't run so great, flatout ran alright, crayon physics works great especially with the touchscreen and the windows store app games seem to work fine though they have a couple comparability issues (nothing android doesn't have) this isn't by any means meant for any type of windows gaming though you should be able to get old games that worked on netbooks going.

The normal windows desktop interface acts about as easily as all the windows 7 touchscreen computers (the few that are out there) worked, kinda clunky. It's not going to open things up as fast as an i3 or i5 system but there's only a momentary delay when going through like control panel and all that stuff. Overall it should get you through smaller tasks using it as a normal computer, I wouldn't really suggest using it as a main computer though unless your just doing like Photoshop elements or web browsing or Microsoft office.

As for ports, I wish they tried to be a little more desktop like than smartphone like, it has a micro hdmi which I can live with but it also has micro sdhc (not micro sdxc so it only supports up to 32gb) instead of a full size sd slot, and a micro usb instead of a usb slot (it comes with a micro usb to regular usb converter though). These aren't deal breakers though. It has bluetooth so you can use wireless mice and keyboards without the dongle.

Another point to pay attention to is that the keyboard attachment doesn't appear to be sold separately at this time. I'm sure in the future you will be able to find them but I've had no luck yet.

Overall the new tablet interface on windows 8 is great and it works awesome, If you want this thing to work just like windows 8 RT you can, but you can switch to desktop mode and use it like any other computer if you want it is an awesome idea and works. Get ready to learn how to use windows again because it is ALOT different, I've been using windows since 95 , work in the field, and I've been scratching my head on how to do things and had to look them up, so google has been my friend.

Battery is great on the system it looks like I can get the expected 8-9 hours of general use out of it. The screen is the average 1366x768 but on a 10 inch screen this is perfectly fine, text is easy to read and the interface looks great on it, viewing angles are awesome.

Overall if you are like me and want a tablet, but something that in a pinch you could use as a full blown computer this is great for you, especially if you get the keyboard dock. I highly recommend it, try to find the 32gb version on sale for $400 in places, its an awesome deal.

UPDATE:
Speakers are great I forgot to mention, They are a smidge better than my previous Sony tablet, you get a decent amount of volume out of them. Also I would like to mention something I noticed between this and the higher powered tablets is no moving parts here, the other tablets with i3 and i5's in them need a fan to exhaust but the atom need no vent :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Win 8 Tablet, December 11, 2012
Overall I have really enjoyed the product. Here is my experience and overall opinion on w510 and Win 8.

Product Design

I have looked at several Win 8 tablets. I chose w510 for the portability and lightness. In terms of construction/build quality I would say it's between the Samsung Ativ Smart PC and the Asus Vivo Tab. The Samsung is the worst quality out of any Win 8 tablet. It's really cheap and you can easily bend the tablet (compared to better quality tablets on the market). I like the w510 unique design of the white rubbish trim around the outside. Overall I'm very happy with the design and quality. No problems here.

Performance

There are a lot concerns about the Intel Atom processor not being powerful enough. I don't understand these concerns. The Atom does everything I need and more. The Intel never seems to slow down my experience using Win 8. If you understand the intent of this product, then you will understand the Intel Atom is more than enough. I can wirelessly stream 1080p .mkv videos from my network and it plays beautifully. I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator on a regular basis and the Atom handles of these programs fine. Is it super lighting fast....no it's (w510) not a $2,000 quad core desktop. Being a web and mobile app designer, it works perfect. I can open files that have 50+ layers and there are no problems. If you do high res print work then there might be a little strain (such as 100+ layer file with 3000x5000 300dpi canvis). Since I'm a digital designer there is no problem having an Atom chip as my processor. Yes I am now using this as my everyday machine. For me Atom delivers on the performance!

Battery

The battery is excellent. It's quite amazing to get 8.5hrs of use out of a full blown Windows device. Enough said there.

Final Thoughts

The w510 really surprised me. It's good for traveling, reading, productivity, casual gaming, and watching videos. The Win 8 apps (from Microsoft) that come with it (or any other Win 8 tablet) kind of suck. There are better apps in the marketplace to replace apps such as video player, pdf app, etc. I really enjoy the new Win start screen and being able to use older applications through desktop mode. It's fast and fun to use. I recommend an Intel Atom based tablet to anyone with similar uses that I have (Photoshop, Word, internet, causal gaming, .mkv videos, emails). I'm glad I didn't go with a core I-series processor. That would have been a little too much for me. So I am really happy with Win 8 and the w510. For the next evolution of PC computing, it's been super fantastic!

P.S. I ordered this tablet through Microsoft's online store during Cyber Monday. There was $100 off the retail price ($499.99). So I got a full fledged tablet computer for $423 out the door. That's the same price as I paid for my last tablet (The original Asus Transformer)!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iconia W510 is a great buy, March 8, 2013
I needed a Windows 8 device that I could use to do my diagnostics on the go without having to carry my 17" DV7 around. Looked at other tablets, including the Asus VivoTab Smart, but ultimately picked the W510 because of it's lightweight, optional keyboard dock (sold separately) which gives the thing an extra boost of battery life (which by the way is already great on its own) and price.

I like the fact that I can run all my Windows 7 programs along with store bought apps. I love the NFC for quick file transfers between NFC devices and the MicroSD slot which I read somewhere can take up to a 64Gb memory card. The screen resolution is great and daytime pictures come out clean and crisp. Night time pics with flash still need some work though. I really don't like the fact that a regular USB port was not included on this tablet. I'm not a design engineer, but I'm pretty sure that they could have found a way to include one instead of that MicroUSB that you have to use an adapter (included) for. One extra cable to carry around is not my favorite thing when I'm trying to carry less.

I also have to mention that one deciding factor when I was considering the Asus tablet mentioned above was sound quality. The Asus only has ONE speaker!!! The Acer Iconia W510 will blow you away with its rich sound quality. You will be amazed at the full bass you get from music and the Dolby surround-like sound that you'll experience when watching your favorite movies...

If I had to buy it again I definitely would, in fact I already did buy a second one for the wife and she is absolutely crazy about it! Doesn't go anywhere without it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better then expected, December 28, 2012
After having tried and used the top end, Samsung XE700 with the core i5, I am happy to say this acer is far better.

After a sour experience with the samsung, I wasn't expecting much from the atom processor in this Acer, but was pleasantly surprised. The Acer is more responsive, has a better quality screen, more accurate touch, and best of all, an unbeatable battery life (I've run it for 18 hours or so no problem). It also comes with less bloatware preinstalled. The other advantage it has over the samsung XE700 is the keyboard mount. The connection is far more solid, and just feels more robust. The Samsung would lose keyboard connection if you looked at it funny

Really wasn't expecting much from this Acer, picked it up because of the price, and it hasn't disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Requirements, November 1, 2013
Coolhand (Waukesha, WI USA) - See all my reviews
1. If you have any trouble whatsoever with the tablet, Acer support will not even talk to you unless you have either the serial number or SNID number, both of which are printed on the edge of the tablet in size 2 or 3 font and are subject to smearing. If you buy, KEEP THE LABEL FROM THE BOX WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER.
2. Don't buy the tablet without the docking station. If anything goes wrong with the Operating System, you will need the Function keys on the docking station in order to enter the BIOS to change the booting sequence.
3. Immediately upon receipt of the tablet, create a USB recovery drive from the e-recovery partition on the hard drive (if you have one!). If you aren't able to create the USB recovery drive, you will have to access the recovery DVDs that come with the computer. To do that, you will not only have to have a DVD drive with a micro-USB connection, but you will have to have the docking station to access the BIOS.
4. The Acer support people are totally worthless! Acer uses companies in India. There is a language barrier. The support people apparently can only follow their scripts, and they do not listen to what you are telling them.

My complaints about Acer have mostly to do with their support system. If the serial number is going to be the key to accessing support then (1) they should make that very clear and stress the importance of recording the serial number and (2) they should print the serial number on a label in size 12 font, so it's legible, and place it on the back of the tablet, rather than on the edge. In addition, a tablet computer should not REQUIRE a docking station in order to recover its operating system. A docking station for a tablet should be a convenience, not a necessity. Finally, Acer needs to move its support back to the United States and employ people who are not only knowledgeable, but who are able to communicate and are willing to listen to the customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet, love it., January 2, 2013
I got Acer Iconia W510 from local Fry's Electronics (surprisingly they didn't have it in display). I must say I am truly amazed by the performance of it (it has Intel Atom processor). It is very responsive and Windows8 is great. It allows multi-tasking in legacy mode which is a neat feature in some cases. I tried few games and they were good. Also the battery life is very good, it lasted the whole day. The finish of product is neat. Also it came with all the ports (USB/SD Card slot/HDMI) so I could use my legacy devices without adapters and expand the memory. It is definitely a better alternative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad if you like your products rare, December 30, 2012
If this tablet were a little more "baked" it would be very good. 1st the good. The screen resolution / quality is quite good and the sound is more than ok. For most tasks it is speedy enough as well.Build quality seems ok. The acer software takes up too much space on the ssd; and contributes little, at least to me. The bad? Glitchy, has random reboots,just generally feels unstable. This may be win 8 and not the tablet hardware don't know for sure. The everyday usage with win 8 itself is ok; the reviews that point out the learning curve involved seem overblown to me. Have performed a software reset and that seemed to help alot. My particular tablet may be just a below average example. Not having a keyboard dock is not a problem since a usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse work just fine. Will keep using it for afew more days and see which side of the fence I fall on. In the meantime it might be worth it to see how the tablet market plays out in the next few months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, January 12, 2013
Robert E. Allen "Old Grump" (Suthelin, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I was surprised at the problems I have had with this machine. We have several Acer machines in the family, (my wife has an 10 inch android Iconia and a Acer Windows netbook; my daughter a 7 inch Iconia and my son has.a W500 with windows 7. All are doing just fine. So I had no problem ordering the W510 with Windows 8.

I gave it three stars because I think, with the experience we have had with Acer, I probably received one that is defective. It has problems with the touch screen being responsive. When one touches an icon it should go to the program or do the task represented by that icon. This tabled does not do that. I sometimes have to touch the icon several times to get any response from it. It becomes very frustrating to use the thing.

I will be sending it back and looking at other Windows 8 tablets, but, because once burned, probably not the W510.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level Tablet!, March 16, 2013
This little tablet is awesome! If you keep your expectations in check you will get a lot of enjoyment out of this device. It completely meets all of my daily requirements, e-reader, browser and productivity tool. The battery life is stellar! Acer has really put together a fit and finished product, this isn't a device to play heavy duty games on however, it is a great device for apps, the internet and multimedia entertainment. I don't frequently write reviews however, I felt this device has truly earned it. I have the full power of Windows at my finger tips and it is awesome to say the least, I would highly recommend this product to any of my friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›