5.0 out of 5 stars Great (comparative) Value and Thoughtful Packaging
Published 22 months ago by tdk

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, bad execution
Slowest computer I ever had. I hate Window Metro. I don't like that there is only 4gb RAM. That seems to be the bottleneck.

It logs in very fast, but once I get to my desktop, I must wait a minute or so before using it.

This mostly is from the Windows 8.1 update. Before that, it was faster.

Here is an example:
I have an iPad mini in...
Published 4 months ago by S. Gehret

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (comparative) Value and Thoughtful Packaging, February 26, 2013
tdk (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer Iconia W700P-6821 11.6-Inch 128 GB Tablet (Silver, Windows 8 Pro) (Personal Computers)
Was pleasantly surprised to have received the latest iteration of this model that included a new case/keyboard combo. I had back ordered the previous model (and it thankfully got cancelled) which had been bundled with (an apparently unsightly brown) separate case and keyboard. This model's (W700P) case/keyboard along with the dock, hdmi to vga cable (wish it had been DVI), mini-usb cable and stylus all make this a great bundle for a price that is lower than competing products without such accessories (Surface Pro, ATIV Pro).

Boons:
+ Value as stated above. And I believe I should insert my opinion on the included dock. I've read some rather unfairly harsh reviews about it and yes, from a design standpoint, it certainly wouldn't be mistaken as having come from the desk of Jony Ive. However, I believe the dock to be a great inclusion (I don't think any of the competitors even have something similar to purchase separately, let alone as a bundle with the tablet). The dock allows portrait or landscape orientation and a couple different viewing angles from landscape, but the most useful aspect is (3) additional USB 3 ports. Plug in a standalone keyboard, mouse, touchpad, flash drive, etc.

+ Win8 Pro and SSD: First time I'm using Win8 and I'm pleased so far with the experience. It's definitely optimized for a touch screen and I believe the tablet form is ideal. Still picking up tips and tricks but the desktop mode (a la Win7) is one click/touch away when real work is required. And of course, lightning-quick boot up from a cold start with the SSD.

+ Battery life: as advertised - usually runs about 8 hours on a full charge with moderate use of processor-/graphics-intensive apps and/or with screen brightness turned up.

+ No bloatware: another pleasant surprise with this iteration was the absence of any 3rd party clutter aside from a couple of small Acer apps. Apparently, the previous model had MacAfee and possibly other mostly unnecessary software.

Banes:
- No SD card slot and no digitizer/pressure-sensitive stylus. The lack of these two features really had me considering the Surface Pro. The price point advantage of this Iconia W700P ultimately won me over though as I also rationalized that I could always use a USB flash drive for additional storage and although the included stylus is comparatively klunky, it is useful at times.

- Keyboard: still getting accustomed to it and I understand the size/space constraints but I believe there is room for improvement. Some combination of the ergonomics and key response does not allow extended typing (at least, not comfortably).

- Cameras: definitely room for improvement. Both front and rear cameras are terrible for resolution and low-light conditions. I don't envision using the back camera very often but a quality front-facing cam is a must for decent Skyping/video chats.

- 11.6" screen: not exactly a negative yet as it may just be a matter of time/adjustment but I find the length unwieldy in portrait mode. Perhaps they were trying to preserve a pre-determined aspect ratio but even in landscape orientation, I sometimes wish it were a tad wider and shorter (from the perspective of portrait).

Overall, very happy and I only expect my appreciation to grow as I go through the adjustment period of getting past the above relatively minor gripes. As a final (and not terribly important) note, the packaging of this product was rather impressive. Very neatly and compactly arranged. Easy to tell that some (good) planning and consideration went into the preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Tablet worth the wait, March 28, 2013
I always maintain that portability should come at the cost of performance, that kept me away from tablets for long time. Acer Iconia W700P-6821 delivered both at a very reasonable price. The full Windows 8 OS means I dont need to install special tablet apps and sacrifice performance. The 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution means I get the same screen layout like a desktop platform. I was concerned at its tiny font size but happily impressed by its super clarity. It poses no reading difficulty to my 74-year old eyes. For the longest time I was looking for a fully fuctional PC but about half the weight of a laptop. At 2.1 pounds, this tablet easily fills the bill and will be a full replacement of my laptop. Only improvement I can think of is the tablet body should have more USB ports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Windows Tablet on the Market, July 11, 2013
I worked at Best Buy for a while and sold many tablets. I'm not an Apple person but I was impressed by the retina display on the third generation iPad. I bought a Kindle HD for my husband but I'm also not an Android person and it is very difficult to do any real web stuff or writing on a Kindle. My first generation Kindle Fire had poor resolution which I was finding increasingly hard on my aging eyes. The Surface Windows 8 (forget RT) has a decent display but neither model of keyboard is firm enough to work with the machine on my lap in bed. So, when this Acer appeared with resolution fine enough to see no pixels, I jumped.

I use it for everything (including writing this review from bed) except online financial transactions which I will only do with an Ethernet wired machine. The keyboard works very well for normal typing. There is also a handwriting recognition screen "keyboard" that works surprisingly well. I very rarely have anything that I need or want to do in the old desktop mode. I read, write, Skype, email, search; do all the things most people do with a laptop on this machine. It also comes with a sturdy docking station which, given that it has an i5 chip and Windows 8 Pro would allow one to use this as a full business machine. And, the keyboard doubles as a sturdy customized case (no looking for the 10.6" maybe it fits on the Best Buy shelf).

The machine is quick to start up, restart and move around applications. Far faster than any computer I have had since the IBM PC first edition in 1982.

I have a lot to say about Windows 8, too. Almost all of it good and getting better. I love to see my life and the news roll around on my live tiles. Everything picture and document I create ends up safely on SkyDrive from Office, my Windows Phone, my Samsung MV900F camera. It's all there for me on every computer I touch and it's all backed up. The Bing homepage is stunning and interesting every day. It is an increasingly excellent search engine. IE 10 is major flawed but 11 is supposed to fix many of the problems. I also use Outlook.com for my email. It has a lot of functionality for cleaning out my inbox and keeping it clean. I have 3 email aliases and also pick up my POP accounts and my husband's. While people complain about the limited number of apps, Windows 8 comes with very sturdy applications that have the important advantage, particularly over Android, of being secured by Microsoft. They are far less likely to infect or spy on your machine. Similarly, I do not trust Google with the broad range of information that they collect on their users nor will I go near Facebook or Linked In. I do think that Microsoft has some integrity in this regard. I am also extremely happy with the gesture password as it is painful to type an adequately secure password on a tablet when you're coming and going. Indeed, their bread and butter enterprise organizations would leave rather quickly if they did not trust Microsoft to stay out of their business. I am looking forward to the improvements that will come with 8.1 but I am fine with 8 for my leisure life.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far So good., February 13, 2013
I have had this about a day and I will edit this after it's first road trip next week. I wanted to address some of the issues I have seen in various forums about it and my experience.
Poor WiFi. This came with the latest driver installed and attached to my Netgear 3700 at 5gHz no problems. I am in the other room with good connection and speed. I have watched some of my Amazon movies and they streamed fines.
Ugly brown case. It's gone and the unit comes with a silver case/keyboard. I have never liked tablet cases with the keyboard as part of them. For work and travel I think it's good as I don't have to carry the docking station and other stuff associated with it. The keyboard is ok. Not bad but not great but then for my style of typing, military hunt and peck, it's fine.
Bloatware. Gone. A few Acer apps for updating drivers and such. NO MCAFFEE! Yea. Windows defender is in and configured. Also something called Evernote. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will meet a need. Other than that, straight Windows 8.

Speed Performance etc. It's perky and fast. The touchscreen is very reactive and looks good. Turn off the auto brightness. Makes it flicker. Swipe the right side of the screen and you get to the manual brightness control fast. Adjust it to situational needs that way. You have to get a mouse. Touchscreen with Win8 and just browsing and fooling around is fine. If you want to do anything serious, got to have a mouse. I am also going to pick up a mini USB hub so I can do more that one USB thing at a time with it. Again to avoid traveling with the dock.

All in all, I am very pleased. I was going to pick up a Sony Ultrabook but as I fly so much I really wanted something smaller and this is it.

I will add more to this review after I give it the road test next week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dealbuster, April 10, 2013
///Updated on 21May2013///
Nearly a month after my last review I found my previous comments a flip flopped. The battery of the keyboard is actually quite impressive. After some time I come to realize that it wasn't dying on me early, it was just going to sleep and the tablet struggles to pair with it after deep sleep. So I have to press the power button to put the tablet to sleep and turn it on to attempt to login. Within a second it pairs right up; I just need to login again. No big deal. But I tried not charging the keyboard for three days with average usage and it held up.

Now the laptop battery life on the other hand is starting to disappoint. I got volume to almost the lowest (and using headphones) while having the brightness on the lowest. Using it for work while constantly connected to the internet, often playing music or movies to the side or the background. And constantly using the keyboard (unplugged but connected via bluetooth) for typing reports after reports. I consider a slightly more heavier use than normal and I find that the tablet is lasting only around 4-5 hours before needing charge again. I am not sure what I am doing differently other than I guess multitasking more, but going from 8 hours to 4-5 is a drastic change in terms of ratio of added usage. Still long enough for what I envisioned of using it or unplugged, but there are other tablets out there that promote 11 hours of use on one charge...

Also I am starting to realize how small 128GB is after added some software, games, documents, and other files. It is quickly adding up. Somewhat wish this was available with 256+ now.

On the Brightside of all things, the tablet is still fast. Fast booting, fast processing (i5), fast responsiveness (touchscreen), etc. It still feels brand new and much easier to travel with than my laptop. Mainly because of the size (dimensions, not so much a weight advantage). I am still quite pleased with the purchase. I am just still not sure or at least can express undoubtedly the advantages of Win8(p). I use it just like I normally do with Win 7 minus the mousepad and plus the touchscreen. Oh, and I did find it slightly disappointing for once that this does not have an Ethernet port since my recent visit to a work site only offered wired and no wireless.

More update to come as I plan on using 3M privacy screen protector on this baby. I am told that those work on touchscreen tablets, somewhat so awaiting my installation and testing.

///Updated on 25Apr2013///
I found the link to European Amazon selling this same product: http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Iconia-W700P-53314G12as-Tablet-PC-silber/dp/B00A3KF138. The product that I received from the US amazon is more similar to the one displayed on that page. It includes an identical folio case and bluetooth keyboard which is not described in the US version. This folio case blocks the back camera (5MP) so it cannot be used while in the case. Not a big deal for me since it is rare to use it unless Skyping and wanting to show the area without flipping my device around if possible.

So far, the biggest complaint since my last review is how odd the wireless seems to react. I started testing out games on my Acer Iconia W700P to find any issues. So far everything works as usual minus some compatibility on which DirectX is touchscreen compatiple. For games that operate on the Start Up screen, such as those you can download from the Win8 app store, and that require internet service to play, I found it a bit frustrating how it sometimes do not work. So where I am at, I have to reply on public internet service which is purchased on time basis. These services require logging in to for it to initialize. So at times, I would get the yellow exclamation mark on the task bar but still have internet service since I can browse the web. However, at time since the device somewhat runs dual-OS, the Start view apps do not recognize the internet connection being active. On games I keep getting prompt to check my connection and to make sure I have internet service. But in the desktop view, I have full access. Frustrating, but not really a BIG issue since I operate mainly on the desktop mode anyways.

I've also been both disappointed and impressed with the bluetooth keyboard. For the same reason of my approval and disapproval, the battery has been one feature I have exhaustingly tested. Having only one USB port, I tried not charging my keyboard to see how long it can last in use and in standby. When in use, I felt the battery of the keyboard did not last as long as the tablet. That is if you are constantly using it for the entire duration. Not significant amount as it seems to last at least 4 hours on full charge as oppose to the tablet which has lasted me 8 hours of constant use with wireless network enabled. However, when used on and off, the keyboard automatically goes in sleep mode to conserve battery which seems to have lasted me over 2 days without recharging. Again, this is with minimal use. To compare what I mean minimal use, I mean using it for about an accumulation of 1-2 hour within the day. What disappointed me was the slight delay on reactivating the keyboard and linking automatically with the tablet. It takes an average of 5-20secs for it to work for me. And that is if it succesfully connects. For example, when I put my tablet on standby then attempt to wake it up, it is frustrating for have the delay when typing in my password. At times when the connection never goes through or if it takes longer than 7 secs for my keyboard to respond, I end up just using the on-screen keyboard to enter my password. Now I know that there is a picture pattern capability to unlock a device but I chose to stay with password entering as it is much more difficult to replicate if observed by others. At times I have to just press and hold random keys which I felt helped it connect faster or at all. I just have to deal with deleting the unintentional trying of what I pressed when it connects.

Also, the online video player/media player is what you would expect from a default, pre-loaded capability. This does not need to be connected to the net to use but it allows for other capabilities when able. What I like about it is how it allows me to view in multi-tasking mode so I can have two screens enabled at one time. This allowed me to watch tv shows/movies on the side (dual windows on one screen) while typing a report on the other; even though the window is made very small, it helped from accidental operations (fast-forward, stop, rewind, ect) while working on something else; two independent screens. What frustrated me though is how it does not allow to view all media extensions, primarily speaking MKVs. So I had to revert back to using VLC which only runs on desktop mode which makes it less of an ease to multitask with desktop mode/view.

So far no issues identified with the online music player. These do not need to be connected to the net to operate but has added features that associates with MS and XBOX like the video player. But it played all my mp3's I had available on my local/external drive.

Other than that, so far so good. Apps/software works as long as they are compatible with Win 7. Touchscreen is not having any issues. Hasn't crashed on me yet (bluescreen of death). Some parts has, however, froze on me. This was happening when I was using a USB hub and transferring files from an external HD to external HD. Windows Explorer kept freezing on me. After further investigation, it seems it was actually just an issue with the Seagate External 1TB HD. IDK if it was a compatibility issue as it was able to recognize and initiate data transfer or if it is a malfunctioning HD, but just thought I'd share such experience. My WD 2TB HD has no issues and maintained its high data-transfer rate unlike the Seasgate.

///Original on 10Apr2013///
As a contractor that is always on the move and seek an acceptable compromise between portability, affordability, and durability. I have been looking for a tablet to replace my laptop as it has gone through its life-cycle with me. I was juggling between going with an Android OS or Win7 for quite a while but could never find dealbuster specs. I was pleased to find a seemingly familiar OS in Win8P having the same functionality to minimize the learning curve. Then I decided after having relied highly on my 2TB WD portable HD for media entertainment that I will need a tablet with USB3.0 port(s) as it offers such a noticeable Data Transfer Rate.

Low and behold, I narrowed my choices and of those few I am happy I picked the Acer Iconia W700P. This product provided all specs I "required" that wouldn't hurt my pocket much. The others I have reviewed would take me under over $2k (due to ruggedized feature) or lacked a USB3.0 port. Like many other reviews stated, this comes nicely packaged with accessories which makes this a dealbuster from others like it. The bundle is surprisingly useful for once unlike other products that just throws "junk" to make it more appealing. Best of all, I was able to purchase this for a reduced early-bird rate of $999.96 from Amazon and am satisfied with the price compared with others and its current price a few months after release.

I have used my tablet non-stop for a while now and (mainly to get comfortable with windows 8 and to customize my tablet) and I have to say that the specs provided are all true, though I was honestly skeptical at first.

PRO:
+ As previously mentioned, the bundle is amazing! For a while I was looking for a decent case but the only one I could find that I liked was only being released in European sales of this product. I heard that this comes with an "ugly brown" case and Amazon did not mention to include this. But when I got my package I was satisfied with the case. The bluetooth keyboard is actually attached to the case. The case has a nice plastic placement that wraps completely around the tablet for a more secure hold. This case is a portfolio style which allows for multiple configurations from a laptop with the keyboard expose for use or tablet with the keyboard tucked comfortably behind. The bundle also includes a micro-hdmi to VGA cable, a USB to micro-USB for charging the keyboard, cleaning cloth, and a weird stylus. All but the stylus was appealing to me. The stylus has an odd spring on the tip with a round plastic on the end. Seems huge and uncomfortable to use so all my actions are conducted with my own hands/fingers which I do not mind. There is also a power adapter as a must for any such products. I like how long the cable is. It would be nice if it was more portable but with the battery life, I do not need it as much.
+ Advertised to last 8 hours. I have tested this excessively while connected on Wi-Fi, playing games, watching movies through my connected portable HD, listening to music, using/charging the included bluetooth keyboard. It gave me plenty of battery life for those long waits at the terminals and sleepless nights. With basic usage such as browsing the web and watching movies on the tablet, it meets its 8 hour mark. Anything more activities would only be an acceptable and predictable drain on the battery. This is very important because now I do not need to constantly plug in my device to charge causing long term issues especially travelling to places with electrical spikes and unreliable power.
+ Windows 8 is like 2 OS in one. I find it a blend of Win7 and Android as it provides both the desktop I am more familiar with from Windows 7 and quick access icons style I know and love on Android OS. This Pro version of the OS is more compatible with Win7 applications but clearly not all are. For example, I prefer using Chrome for my browser since I can link it to my gmail acccount and access or transfer my settings (favorites, etc) easier. But sometimes it seems to not respond to my touchscreen but only on limited options. No biggy as Explorer works for what I needed.
+ The included keyboard is surprisingly responsive. At first I was afraid that a bundled keyboard would have delays and issues and would require me to purchase a more acceptable keyboard but this was very nice and kept up with my typing. I have a weekly report I have to write and this was a more familiar form of writing that the on-screen one. It is important to note however but it seems to put itself on sleep/standby to conserve battery when idle. And waking it by pressing keys give it a slight delay but it is a feature I rather have than not. I am actually writing this entire review on my tablet using its included keyboard. No complaints. Some have said the keyboard was oddly shaped or smaller than usual; I cannot comment on that as I do not notice any significant differences towards discomfort. The keys are a good size. And there are rubber pods on the corners to keep the display of the tablet from pressing against the keys when the case is closed.
+ The SSD provides a significantly faster startup (bootup from cold or warm). I didn't notice it at first as my last laptop had a fast start from sleep option but after actually timing it, I no longer worried about completely shutting my device in fear of the "long" start-up. I use to just put my laptop on sleep so it would work "instantly" when I needed it but with this SSD it seems to load faster than my laptop with the feature (not SSD).
+ No bloatware. Pleasantly satisfied as I do not have to spend time removing all the unnecessary software.
+ There is an easy orientation toggle on the top of the tablet which allows for orientation lock or auto. Very nice as I usually operate on landscape and when I do want it in portrait-mode then it is a simple flick. Very convenient.

CON:
- Unfortunately this W700P had only one but the included dock provided a total of 3 if desired. Like many have said, the dock is nice to have but not used a lot. I too do not use it as it adds a bulkier configuration for my travel needs. I have this under CON because I wanted USB for transferring so was looking for 2 ports. But with little success on finding many tablets with USB3.0, I was happy to have one which I use to read my media off my portable drive.
- It is heavy. The reason I deducted a star from my review because this is the Dealbuster to some. Like many have said this is not something one would hold for a long period of time so if that is what you were looking for then look the other way. At first I thought that was just weaklings complaining about the weight but when I held it myself I was shocked and so were my coworkers. Luckily, I use it heavily with the case and keyboard so it is either placed on my desk in my office or balanced on my legs as I type away in bed.
- The camera(s) is poor. It's enough that the case isn't designed to have a hole for the back camera, the camera is not good in low lighting. I tried Skyping home from my dark room and no one could make out what was being shown. Even the screen brightly glowing, it was just horrible. It's there though when needed. Just unreliable in terms of quality.
- NO MICROSOFT OFFICE! Luckily I have the CD with multiple users available (just need a CD-Rom drive to install or download the software). But it would be nice if a Microsoft product provides its most used software (Office - Word, PPT, Excel). Even android came out with countless readers for little to no cost to the users. So in response, what Microsoft did was make their licensing for rent/lease and no longer for own with their whole Office 360. So sad I lost part respect for them because of it as it is arguably becoming a nail to their coffin.
- No microSD/SD card slot or reader. On the other Acer products such as the W500s there is this option for expandable space. One of my friends has one and he was able to add a 64GB micro-SD on this tablet which was nice!

Overall, I am very happy and I would recommend this to others with specific taste like I did. The packaging was immaculate! Very neatly and compactly arranged. Price for a 11.6" tablet with i5 and 128GB SSD is what made me jump for this and the bundle alone will only reassure you on your decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Tweak Saved the Day, May 4, 2014
I originally rated this 1 star due to how poorly it performed on battery power. However, changing a setting in Windows resolved the issue. To do this, go to Charms Bar -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (for whichever plan or plans you are using) -> Change advanced power settings -> Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Settings -> Low Power Mode Setting -> On battery: Disable. I also have it set to Plugged in: Disable.

-----

My original review:

Its Wi-Fi reception is weak, but I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is how amazingly slow it is. Using the web (e.g., Facebook) and/or Word with a mouse connected (Bluetooth, USB wireless, or USB corded), the system is so slow that the pointer won't even track across the screen without pausing. I opened a ticket with Acer, and they had me return it to them for service. Their solution was to restore it to factory defaults, but that did not solve the problem. This tablet is so problematic that, even though I spent close to a thousand dollars on it plus accessories, I rarely use it. Consumer Reports gave this one high marks. They were wrong. If you want a tablet, Acer is not the way to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, bad execution, August 24, 2014
S. Gehret (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews

This mostly is from the Windows 8.1 update. Before that, it was faster.

Here is an example:
I have an iPad mini in sleep mode and this tablet is on.
I start Netflix and get the spinning wheel.
I awaken my iPad, start Netflix, pick a movie and it starts playing.
This tablet is still spinning.

I've repeated this about 5 or 6 times with the same results.

Another example:
Whenever I am typing anything (email, web form, text document), the tablet freezes every 4 or 5 seconds for a2second duration which makes using this tablet unbearable.

Also, the stylus is very odd. It looks like a pen, but the tip is a spring about 1/4 inch with a clear plastic disk on the end which is about 1/4 inch in diameter. And Windows does not always recognize a touch by stylus or finger. Sometimes, I have to hit something many times before it registers. Never had issues like these with my iPad.

I've switched things back to my old laptop and use Teamviewer to access it from my iPad Mini. I can control this tablet from my iPad and Teamviewer than directly using the tablet.

If you want a Windows8 Tablet, look at the new Surface Pro 3. Or look into the latest Samsung tablets or the hybrid laptop/tablets out now. Make sure you get at least 8gb RAM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Portable and Desktop Replacement!, December 12, 2014
I love this Portable TabletPC because it works for me as a viable Desktop Replacement. I don't use it as a Gaming Device, but I'm a Monster Surfer sometimes having several broswers running about 18tabs each with VLC and Sketchup running. In Desktop Mode, I've got a USB 3.0 Dual Video Adapter pushing two Flat-Panel Monitors connected to two External HDDs at 320GB and 4TB each and an External DVD Burner. No problems with WiFi hookup and Tablet Speakers are pretty good, but I will be using a USB AudioCard to use my external speaker/subwoofer. I've not had an instance yet where the Fans Kick on...or at least I can't hear them. I've watched "300: Rise of an Empire" on an attached monitor and it had no flaws. I still need to test battery life connected to an External USB 3.0 1TB HDD viewing a movie on VLC, but I don't anticipate any problems. The Dock is okay, but I will be replacing it since it sits at an odd angle in either Portrait or Landscape. I also replaced the Case to save weight with a Maroo Sleeve designed for a Surface Pro 3. It's pretty awesome holding the TabletPC while manipulating a 3D drawing in Sketchup, love it! Still figuring out Windows8.1 as I'm new to it. BT connections are good for all my devices except a ExoGear BT Speaker. Still very happy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I bought the Surface, June 23, 2014
I love the portability, the power, and the flexibility of this machine (but those are all reasons to love a tablet pc). I hate the included keyboard case though. It is too hard to get the machine in and out, which means I almost never use the docking station. Instead, I have a ton of cords, connectors, and hubs that I have to keep up with instead of everything being connected to the dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big BANG for the buck!, July 31, 2013
What a bargain! I recently purchased 2 new computers. This W700 and another ACER. I love them both but I wish I had just gone with 2 Iconia W700s. The Tablet itself is a work of art. Solid and well built. Touch screen is very accurate and really brings out the best of windows 8. Processor and 4 gigs ram coupled with the SSD 128 drive give nice performance. This package is no toy, can easily be used as a primary computer for home or small business.
The docking station is also wonderful. I use it at home and when its time for the w700 to travel I simply pop it off the dock and drop it into the included Folio which also houses the Bluetooth keyboard. Hard for me to rate the keyboard as Im not a good typist, hunt and peck kinda guy but it works just fine for me. There is no integrates mouse pad on the keyboard so I suggest getting a Bluetooth mouse to round out the entire package.
They advertise 9 hours of battery life, im getting about 5 with screen turned up bright and light game play. I guess 9 may be possible depending on how you use and manage power but 5 isn't bad, at least in my opinion.
Besides a Bluetooth mouse I also added an Anti-Glare screen protector and that was a nice option as well.
I gave this a 5 star rating as I really cant find anything I don't like or misleading in how its presented. Battery life is highly subject to end user options so the claimed 9 hours may be possible and I don't feel its fair to say even that's a false claim.