5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for light (ie non-gaming) use

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems from the beginning
Published on August 6, 2011 by lp

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for light (ie non-gaming) use, May 4, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I was looking for a laptop/notebook to connect to my 60" flat-screen television. A fair amount of research led me to choose this unit as it was low-priced (~350), offered solid graphics performance in the dual-core AMD E-350 APU, integrated HDMI output connection, decent-sized hard drive and running Windows 7 (64-bit). Only minor negative associated with this unit is it only has 2Gb memory installed. However, that 2Gb is on one stick and unit has a second slot available.

I purchased a stick of Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 204-PIN PC3-8500 SODIMM DDR3 Memory Module for ~20 bucks to address this shortcoming. Installing it was a breeze. Just remove the two screws securing the hard drive/memory access panel and insert a flat blade screwdriver at the indentation of door and work it around the panel. The panel is retained by a collection of small tabs spaced about an inch or so apart around the perimeter of the panel. Just work the flat blade screwdriver around the panel, twisting the screwdriver as you come to each tab to cause it to disengage from the body of the laptop. Open memory slot will be on the bottom right under a clear film sheet. Lift the sheet, align the second memory stick in the open slot, insert it and then press down on the stick till the metal clips engage the stick to retain it in position. Reinstall the panel and the two screws to complete the job. Takes 5-10 minutes and you are good to go.

I did not choose to upgrade it, but replacing the hard drive would be fairly easy to accomplish as well.

Keyboard is island-style keys with open space between them. Easy to type on, but I don't recommend eating while using as the open keys are conducive to getting crumbs and such in between them.

Screen is clear, bright and sharp. Weight is a bit heavy to be a daily carry unit, but that is not what I use it for. I have a light-weight 14" laptop for that job.

Upon initial start-up you should create restore discs or a driver disc if you plan on doing a clean Windows 7 install. Then start removing the usual crap-ware you get on any pre-built unit. This unit was not especially better or worse than I have encountered before on other laptops. You can manually delete those programs you don't want, or just download and run "PC Decrapifier" if you aren't familiar/comfortable with removing unwanted software or want to speed the process up. I chose to manually remove the items I did not want.

After removing the items I did not want, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials (free anti-virus), ran Windows Update, and downloaded and installed the latest version of Catalyst Control Center and driver. Finally installed a couple of other applications and updates to finish the job. All total, it took a couple of hours to complete all the hardware/software tasks to get the unit just the way I wanted it.

Since then I have used it for outputting Hulu/Netflix/etc... to my flat-screen television via the HDMI port, web browsing, and office type applications. It performs all these flawlessly. I have not tried to run/play any games on the unit as I have a solid desktop system for that use and this unit probably will not run any serious game very well. Flash-based net games and older games should not be a problem.

I have not run the unit on battery power for any extended period so I can't speak to battery performance/duration.

After a couple weeks use, I have not experienced any issues with the unit and am very satisfied with the price/performance.

If you are looking for a solid laptop/notebook for home use (web browsing, e-mail, office apps, etc...), you should definitely give this unit consideration. Very good value for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep these things in mind..., April 25, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
You won't read about these on Acer's website, and perhaps I'm a bit nitpicky when it comes to computer aesthetics, but the machine runs just fine. Durability is a tossup these days, so I'll skip all that and give you one or two quirks about the computer. These are the things that I notice immediately when I buy a new machine, so hopefully it will help you out.

Pros:
-The full numerical pad is welcome. A lot of laptops don't have this feature and I find it useful.
-USB ports: it's got three of them; two on the left and one on the right which is ideal for power users.
-The AC adapter is tiny but features a three prong outlet, bear in mind that you'll have to use an adapter for two plug outlets.
-Battery life is going to be a lot longer than advertised for light use. I seem to be getting about 5 hours out of it, as long as the display is kept dim.
-Feels slimmer than other laptops, though you can gather that from the specs I'm sure.
-It's got this texture covering that actually contributes to grip in a good way.
-Even on 2GB ram (with a slot for another stick) it runs fast.
-Quick sleep "button" (it's actually a function keystroke but still nice).

Cons:
-The most annoying thing about the laptop is easily the loud beep that the internal speaker makes every time you plug and unplug the laptop. You can't turn the feature off; all you can do is mute your internal speaker. This doesn't put you at much of a disadvantage as the internal speaker usually only beeps to warn you about your machine locking up if you try too many inputs. Power users will probably hate this.
-The keyboard itself is off-center. I know this is a weird complaint but the aforementioned numerical pad slides everything over several inches to the left. As I type this I'm getting used to it, but the trackpad goes with it and that's the most difficult thing to get used to.
-On the subject of the track pad, the mouse button has 2 issues. For one, it is not separated into a right and left button as is the trend these days in laptop trackpads, but it's particularly hard to tell where the separation is on this model. The second issue is that it's just not that responsive -- that is, it feels sticky and hard to press down. Again, something you can get used to.
-The home/pg up/pg dn/end keys are above the numerical pad rendering them virtually useless for fast use.
-The compartment housing the hard drive and RAM is particularly finicky to get into. After removing two screws you have to wrench the darn thing open and it feels like you're going to break it. Not a huge problem since you'll probably only open it up once or twice.

Those are the biggest "little things" that I noticed. Overall it's a good machine though it comes loaded down with unnecessary stuff. Honestly, does anybody use McAfee these days? Leave me alone, Acer. I'll stick to avast, thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer AS5253, March 19, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Great laptop, battery life is about 5 hours for normal use. Easy to type on and the number pad is a big plus. The AMD E350 apu is still good for some gaming I can play left 4 dead 2 and fallout new vegas with no lag. Defiantly not a high end laptop but for only 400 its a great deal, however I do recommend getting another 2gig stick of ram as it runs a lot better on 4gig.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for the Money., April 23, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
At first, i was wondering if this laptop would not be fast enough to handle what i needed to do.
I ordered this laptop to be able to surf the web, some music, youtube, and light gaming ( older games ).

This laptop exceeded my expectations. It has a Duel-Core 1.6Ghz procceser, which is a step down from my desktop's 2.8Ghz Dual core... Yet, this laptop is still very responsive. If your hoping to be able to play any current games on this laptop, then no.
Honestly, to tell the truth, nobody should be consider a laptop for the main purpose of "gaming" , if you want to game, stick with a desktop computer, or a console.

I was able to play Call of Duty 4 with medium-low settings and the fps was good. Don't know about other games, will try left for dead 2 later.

The screen is beautiful. Everything is easy to see, and very crisp.
One of the first things i noticed when i unboxed the laptop was how light it was. This thing is very easy to bring around with you... The screen size is a good size also.

The only complaints i have of this laptop is that..

1. I can tell it is made out of some cheap material... That is obviously a downside...
2. Their is only 1 speaker. The quality is still good, but a 2nd speaker sounds like it should be standard.

Overall, you cant go wrong with this laptop, the price is amazing, and you get more then what you pay for.

Pros:
________________________
Amazing price
good , hd screen
lightweight
fast ( for the price )
good air ventilation ( doesn't get warm )
good battery life ( around 5 hours normal use )

cons:
___________________________
Cheap material ( seems like it in multiple areas: keyboard, touchpad, exterior feel
Lack of HDD space ( 250gb ). 320gb would be nice
(minor), cd tray feels like it could break easily...

if i could, i would rate this laptop 4.5/5 stars.

If you want a fast laptop, and are on a budget, this is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer as5253, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
This computer is a steal at its price it came well packaged but had alot of programs preloaded on to it.A lil cheaper construction but well made very quiet even playing games like dragon age 2 very good graphics rate them 4-5 had it on high settings too good wireless good sound all in all way worth the price for what ever you want to use it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Laptop for anyone, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I bought this computer a few weeks ago off of Newegg and so far so good. Please keep in mind that this computer is not built for gaming. I am a grad student and it works just fine for everyday tasks (i.e. MS Office, surfing internet, streaming videos, etc.). I was even running AutoCAD 2011 Civil 3D just fine (For those who don't know, AutoCAD is a drafting software for engineers that requires a decent amount CPU usage and RAM)

PROS:

-full keyboard, meaning there is a number pad on the right
-surprisingly lightweight for a 15.6" laptop
-love the LED backlit screen
-Runs multiple programs at the same time just fine
-comes with a webcam (new feature for me. Last time I bought a laptop was 5 years ago when I started school and webcams did not come standard on laptops)
-decent speakers for a laptop
-battery life is darn good when you turn down the brightness of the screen.

CONS:

-Bloatware. But what new PC doesn't come with bloatware. Easy to remove so not that big of a deal to me
-track pad is pretty sensitive but I use a mouse so again not that big of a deal for me
-No MS Office, only the trial version. This is one thing I really wish computers would come equipped with. I mean I understand Microsoft is trying to make a few extra dollars but aren't you rich enough Bill? Fortunately I get a good deal on Office 2010 being a student
-Battery life is not so good when the brightness is all the way up

This is a great budget computer that can handle the average consumer's necessities. Whether you are a student, or just someone looking for a computer to have at home or work and trying to save some $$, I would recommend this for you. Comment if you have any specific questions and I will try and get back to you in a timely manner

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded My Expectations, May 29, 2011
Adam Smith (Wauwatosa, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I've only had this one 4 days. Here are my thoughts.

I narrowed my search down to Toshiba and Acer, as I believe they are the best. This is a great bargain for a quality laptop. I liken it to a Camry - functional, dependable, with no frilly junk. No problems on delivery - I was checking the progress on my Amazon account, and read that it had been delivered - on my front porch (I live in a big house). Went to the front door, and there was the package!
Surprised how fast I could get it up and running. I like Win 7 (my last PC was Vista). I strip everything down, because I love a fast machine. More streamlined, and it boots & shuts down faster. Removed the bloatware in 20 minutes. No problems.
I was worried about my 32-bit SW and HW not working with 64-bit Win 7. NAV working flawlessly. Had problem with my old laserjet (HP 1200). But DL an HP UPD from their site, installed it, connected the laser, and everything is working.

Only problem I've had with Win 7 is with Explorer.exe. I use it a lot to manage files and folders. Tried to set it up just like my Vista machine, but it still won't replicate the views.
I use the Google Chrome browser which I love. I enabled the "sync" feature, so all the settings and bookmarks from the Vista machine were copied over my home network to my new Acer laptop.
The laptop runs well, but be informed I run a clean machine, and don't load lots of programs. I have now ordered an additional 2 GB RAM (it supports up to 8 GB). I ordered at Crucial.com since I wanted to make sure it worked out of the gate. Beware, although the price is the same as Amazon's, with free shipping, they charge a sales tax if you live in a state that they (Micron Tech.) have a physical location.

Update on 06/04/2011. Love this machine. Connected 3 GB USB drive and setup ReadyBoost. (BTW - there is an SD card slot in left-front edge.) It really boosted the speed. Received 2 GB RAM chip from Crucial, installed in 5 minutes. I like this LT, and I like Win 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast, light, affordable, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I was planning to install more RAM but it doesn't seem to need it. IE is slow but it is on every computer I've used. Firefox and Chrome are both lightning fast.

So glad I took a chance on this. And Amazon delivered 3 days earlier than I expected. Very pleased and would readily recommend this product (and site)!

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems from the beginning, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I ordered this computer based on Amazon reviews. However, I must have gotten a lemon! Within a week of receipt, the computer would boot up, but the screen was completely black. It was sent to Acer for repair. When it was returned, there was intermittent problems w/ horizontal white lines across the screen. After multiple calls to Acer support and the no resolution to the problem, I returned computer to Amazon. Will look for another brand....
The computer looks very nice and functioned well-except for the above noted issue. I really wanted to like this computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price - why buy a netbook?, June 13, 2011
AS (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I purchased this laptop from another retailer for about 100 dollars less (after rebates) than amazon. I was looking for a netbook or a 12.1 laptop to take to class and came across this machine. I had never heard of the E350 processor before but apparently it's been getting great reviews with 2 of the highly rated 12.1 models from Lenovo and HP both using it. It's a dual core, so don't be confused by the 1.6 GHz, which means it's really a 3.2 GHz processor. It's not super fast, but it is much faster than the 6 year old Lenovo laptop I used before. Of course, there are much faster dual core machines on the market right now, but you have to pay 3-5 times more to get it. It comes loaded with a lot of bloatware from Acer and other software manufacturers. I uninstalled McAfee and installed the free and trusted MSE right away. I also installed MS Office 2010 and it works fine. I immediately installed an additional 2GB of RAM for a total of 4GB and cannot speak for its speed on just 2 GB RAM. The process of installing RAM was complicated by the apparent fragility of the compartment cover. Unlike some other machines, there is one cover for RAM, CPU and HD. Yes, it feels like it will break because you have to apply pressure to remove it, so I wouldn't recommend that people open it more than once or twice. The battery life is pretty good, too. I think I can easily get 4 hours with light web and MS Office use. Windows performance rating gave it a 3.8 because of the processor speed. I think for most users it would be more than sufficient. I've played HULU and Amazon Video just fine. Speakers are not strong, but adequate. This is a laptop, not a stereo. It's fairly light. Startup and shutdown times are faster than the aforementioned 6 year old laptop. I am not planning to use it for iTunes or gaming of any sort, although using the Acer Games software I was pleased with the quality of graphics. The screen is beautiful. The keyboard is OK, easy to type on and the mouse is fine too. I didn't find it hard to press, but I did have to get used to the single bar (no separate left and right mouse buttons). The keys are spaced out, so definitely do not eat over it. I may purchase a keyboard cover in the future. Overall, I am very satisfied. It's heavier than a netbook, but for the same (if not lower) price I have a faster machine with a larger screen and do not have to deal with lags in streaming videos or working with MS Office. The only fingerprint magnet is the bezel around the screen. The rest of the laptop is a nice textured plastic. Yes, plastic, so if you expect a Mac, you'd be disappointed. It is not flimsy. It would be a perfect gift for a student. Upgrade to 4GB RAM is inexpensive and I am sure the laptop performs better with it.

Acer AS5253-BZ602 15.6-Inch Laptop