4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Computer
Published 18 months ago by Convert VHS

2.0 out of 5 stars My Predator
Published 1 month ago by Goddur

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Computer, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Acer Predator AG3620-UR318 Gaming Desktop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I don't know if my positive experience with this computer is reduced by the fact that it uses Windows 8, but I will try to base this review on hardware only. The computer has everything I was looking for, SSD hard drive, plenty of USB (including 3.0), nice graphics card, plenty of memory, I7 processor, and...windows 8. But lets not talk about Windows 8. The first thing I did was install an additional hard drive which was a breeze due to an external slide out tray which is located right below the optical drive expansion slot. Great! Exactly what I wanted, although it is not a hot swap HDD tray, you will have to shut down your computer to change the HDD. Once in, my extra HDD came to life and everything worked great. Next I added a blue ray burner. For that task I had to open the case and take the front panel off. No problem, couple of screws and the side slid off allowing the front to come off. I added the blue ray burner and that is when I noticed I do not have any more expansion slots except one PCIe left. Hmmm...missed that one when deciding to get this computer, I would have liked to have at least one PCI slot open. I'm not a computer expert but the motherboard did not look like a gaming mother board, it was basic...very basic. I put everything back together and my blue ray burner worked like a charm. For individuals who might be looking for a hard core gaming computer, I suggest reading details and specification, especially the motherboard.

So, nice computer, works great. Love the SSD...Windows starts in about 5 seconds. I gave it 4 stars due to very basic mother board and no expansion slots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photo Processing Computer!, February 4, 2013
Very impressed the Predator. I'm not using it for gaming but Photoshop and as a house server. The C is a flash drive and just load my programs on it. I still have 50 GB to spare and it loads programs very fast. I use the spin drive to store my movies, music and photos. I also inserted my own 80 GB drive in the expandable drive which just meant pulling out the drive cradle, inserting my new drive, pushing it back in and powering up. One important factor to set up this computer out of the box is that you either need an HDMI or DVI cable as the VGA port is disabled.
Windows 8 is not that difficult either on a PC. I installed a "start Menu" application so it works just like any previous windows version so I can group and categorize my app's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine at a great price, February 15, 2013
I spent a lot of time looking at different tower PCs. I looked closely at the iMac - but to be honest it is overpriced for what is actually inside the machine. I was very close to ordering a custom PC but then came across the Acer Predator on Amazon. It had everything I was after. A good motherboard, plenty of RAM and harddrive capacity plus geared towards gaming. In addition it comes with SSD memory which I now realise is a real advantage. The only issue I had was learning how to make best use of the SSD vs. harddrive, but it wasn't really a big deal. Now I have all my programs on the SSD and my photos, music, etc. on the harddrive. This makes it very fast and much quicker at start-up after the PC has gone to sleep, etc. The PC is very quiet as the hardrive is used less and the fans don't kick in so much. Graphics are good - I run Guild Wars 2 with no problems, plus multi-tasking is no issue either.

No comment on Windows 8!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and very fast, January 5, 2013
Amazon Customer (Manchester, CT, US) - See all my reviews
I was ready to upgrade to a fast computer. This model was the best value that I could find with high performance at reasonable price. The solid state disk drive makes boot up and opening programs lightning fast. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Ultimate Workstation., January 4, 2013
This machine has it all!

128 GB SSD!!!
Newest top of the line Ivy Bridge.
Sub 10 second Booting!

This machine is the ultimate workstation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I paid for., February 24, 2013
I like most people did not go head first into tossing +$1000 on this computer. I have grown up mostly using mac laptops but I was getting tired of the lack of gaming content so I decided to shell out some money to build a PC. After realizing I didnt know what I was doing (its fairly complicated and intimidating) I decided to go with a safer and cheaper option and buy a prebuilt gaming rig. Sure there are better systems out there and building a PC is cheaper (only if you really know what you need and don't) but this does what it says it will do. I run guild wars 2 on medium to high settings and absolutely love it, must buy for anyone into MMOs. I also play a little battlefield 3 with decently low ping and little to no issues. For some reason, maybe my sub-pare internet, the downloads for both games took painfully long, but thats something I and most rational people can look past. The Acer with the 27 inch HP monitor I bought for $300 also off amazon (recommended) add up to a simple, sufficient, and versatile setup. This is a great starter option for gamers who can always upgrade in a couple of years and do not want to deal with the risk of faulty products. The graphic card could be better but the i7 more than makes up for where the nvidia lacks. Like I mentioned before I really have only used apple computers so windows is not my expertise but windows 8 is not THAT bad. It can get a little annoying here and there but you can mostly avoid it. I highly recommend this to anyone timid to shell out a lot of money on a gaming PC and I also suggest looking at other reviews.

General:
Pros: I7, simple setup, runs very quiet and smooth, looks nice, has good access ports, I CAN PLAY MMOS!!!

Cons: Nvidia 630 is not bad but not the best, download times can be very long, windows 8 (for some)

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Specs!, April 2, 2013
I'm not going to pretend to be an extremely knowledgeable person about computers - but I am a gamer chick and love high quality graphics.

This computer had everything I was looking for but unfortunately, I didn't research it close enough. The graphics card was terrible. My boyfriend ended up buying me a $90 graphics card and now it is amazing. I went from 20-24 FPS to 58-62 FPS in the same game zone and anyone that enjoys gaming knows what a difference that is, especially if you PVP or raid. The better graphics card made a world of difference.

Other than the crappy graphics card, the computer is slick, fast, and has a ton of storage. I absolutely love it now that I have a better card in it. The only reason it is four star instead of five is because of the card.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Predator, May 29, 2014
Have to say the predator is an excellent gaming computer for the price what I can not say is the support is on par with the unit. My 2 hour online chat was mostly concern for my troubles and very low on solutions. As it stands, they could not tell me why the memory card reader would not recognize my memory card from Sony the "MemoryStickPRODuo" 8GBs. They could not tell me the manufacturer of the card reader nor could they tell me the orientation of the card when inserting into the reader. On the plus side they did agree to send me a link for my computers users guide.
As for the solution, they had me refresh my machine as they saw it as the only fix to my problem. It turned out it was not the solution from there they wanted me to ship my computer to Texas for diagnosis and repair. Now I don't mind shipping things but not my one week old predator no sir. I know it will come back worse then it left with so for now will continue to use my external purchased memory card reader as it functions very well thank you.
Star rating only reflects the support and tiny card reader problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, still happy after nearl a year, December 7, 2013
This is a very good and reliable unit! We've had it almost a year and are still impressed with it's power and speed! I like that the ports for memory sticks and camera cards are right on top and in the front, so convenient to use. Very satisfied with this purchase! (and it is good-looking too)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, latest tech, and loaded with extras for a great price, May 27, 2013
Powers on, loads, switches between accounts in a FLASH with the OS on the 128 GB FLASH drive and library's on the hard drive... amazing! Ridiculously fast on the internet, downloads, uploads... ensure you have a fast internet provider to take advantage of the speed. A true workhorse with the quadcore i7, 12 GB ram (can add more), memory speed and 2 TB hard drive (has an expansion bay to quickly add another hard drive)... surpassed my expectations from the 1st power on. Blows away my last desktop and my wife's new Mac, no comparison! Not a gamer so don't quite know how the graphics and processing are when playing games, sorry, bought this amazing machine because of the hardware inside. I have played a couple HD movies though, and they looked and sounded great. Wireless and Bluetooth work flawlessly. Play movies on my TV from this computer with no problems. 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports everywhere for your plug and play devices. Oh, and Windows 8 is great once you get use to it. Recommend an app to restore the start button on the desktop for those of you like me that has to have time for change. I have had this machine for a month and couldn't ask for more, although I received way more than expected. Last note, bought it refurbished for under $750, it was in original box, still had the plastic protective tape on it, not a scratch, included all cords, cables, mouse and keyboard, started up as if the OS and software was just installed.

Rate and Discover Movies