Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Acer RL80-UR23 Desktop (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 13, 2014
I bought this for my mom who needed a basic desktop computer for email and web browsing. I like the small form factor and quiet operation of this PC. It came with Windows 8 and everything worked properly out of the box. About the only thing I didn't like was the loud beep it emits when first starting up from an off state (not from standby). If another person in the room were sleeping when you turned this PC on, that beep might wake them. Otherwise, it seemed to be a stable PC with decent speed for normal, everyday operations like web browsing and email, which was all I tested on it before giving it to my mom. The small form factor is a big plus and should fit on any desktop or desk shelf.
on April 6, 2014
I purchased this system to hook up to my big living room television with the idea of being able to download and play movies and tv shows through the display. The HDMI hookup worked perfectly at the proper resolution the first time, and this system has been more than adequate for my needs.

The small form factor was one of my prime requirements, and at about 8"x8"x1", this is a great size. Note that you do not have to use the stand to have this in the vertical configuration shown; it works perfectly well sitting flat. There's still plenty of access to the vents for the system to cool properly.

The system came with Windows 8 and the Windows 8.1 upgrade came through the Windows Store a few days later.

Like any system, there's a moderate amount of bloatware to be stripped out, but that's an expected evil. There is not an excessive amount, or anything that's unusual to remove.

The wireless keyboard and mouse work well, and round out my needs for a system I can use to casually surf from the couch.

For $329 (the price I paid when ordering on March 20, 2014) I'm very happy with this system.
on July 30, 2015
Fresh out of the box it was speedy. After installing all the Windows updates and a few apps it slowed down considerably. Because of that I replaced the stock memory with a pair of Crucial 4GB sticks. I believe in using matched sets of memory and not mix-n-match. That added almost $60 to the total price for this unit.

Yesterday, July 29th 2015, I upgraded from the stock Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Everything went smoothly using the downloaded, USB stick, version. When making the USB stick installer I picked the option for it to have both 32 and 64 bit versions loaded. When upgrading or doing a clean install with my various laptops and tablets (yes it works great on my HP Omni 10 and Dell Venue 8 Pro), it saves time using the USB or DVD disk option. I prefer the USB route for faster speed, especially with USB 3.0 sticks and ports.

I do wish it was easier to replace the stock HD with an SSD. I might do it though to make this machine operate smoother and not take so long to start up.

I also wish that they had put one or both of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the unit instead of one of the front corners. Makes using a USB hub take up more desk space. Same goes for having the Ethernet port on one of the rear corners. You end up with cords sticking out all over the place.

Would have been happier if they kept most of the ports on the rear and the headphone, USB 3.0 (at least one), and the SD card slot on the front.
on March 21, 2014
Perfect home PC on the big screen. This thing is great and I can't say enough good things about it.... entire new experiance surfing on the huge monitor.
on May 24, 2014
I would rate this a 4 and half. The reason it is 3 stars is that the usb wireless receiver was not included with the wireless keyboard and mouse set. THEREFOR ARE USELESS TO ME. Luckily I have an older keyboard/mouse set of my own which I put to use instead.
I don't have the time to waste in either returning the whole thing or trying to find the right support person to get me another input set.
I like the computer, it is doing a good job (no hiccups) being used in my bedroom with my large led TV set as a media center for streaming everything from my home network. Windows 8.1 is ok, I am starting to get comfortable with it.

I recommend the purchase, it is reasonably priced and doing the job I intended it to do.

HAPPY ENDING, I did find the receiver inside the mouse as another buyer suggested, so the keyboard and mouse are working as expected. Therefore I am raising my rating to 4.5, which translates to a 5.
on September 19, 2014
Bought this PC because I needed a computer that had a lot of storage (500GB) I mostly use this for surfing the web and holding my music and movies. The processor is a little slow at times and things like watching YouTube may lag if your downloading a movie or game (Which is the reason I'm getting another 4GB of RAM) This PC is like a fat iPad Mini, I would be impressed if you couldn't find a spot to put this. I'd like to rate this 4 1/2 stars but all around It's a fantastic computer for people who are just trying to go online, download a few small games here and there and flood the system with media. I don't regret buying it and I'm happy it's up-gradable .

Also the amount of USB ports is very pleasant...!
on September 28, 2015
So my review is based on my intention from day 1 to upgrade the hard disk to a spare SSD I had and bumping up the memory to 8GB.

Before I did the upgrades, I updated the OS from 8.0 to 8.1 and applied all latest patches. I mostly left the PC to do its thing and wasn't sitting in front of it all the time, but the OS/software upgrade took the better part of half a day.

Opening the box was trivial with the youtube videos available for similar boxes. Medium difficulty with several screws and a prying tool (or used/unwanted credit card).

I upgraded the hard disk to a used SSD with no major problems. The desktop had two memory slots and one was used by a 4GB stick. I added another used 4GB stick also with no problems.

I use this as a Home Theatre PC. The Celeron 1017U processor has no performance problems running local or network videos up to 1080p after the above upgrades. It does have a fan, but you practically can't hear it.

Oh, and since I'm using this as a HTPC, I bought the following wireless keyboard/mouse for use with it. Great convenience!
"Rii i8+ Mini Wireless 2.4G Back Light Touchpad Keyboard with Mouse for PC/Mac/Android, Blue (MWK08+)"

I guess the only thing I don't like about it is the "cheap" and loud beep it gives out whenever you turn this box on - no idea how to turn it off. But that's not enough to deduct a star from my rating.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2015
I just purchased my 2nd one of these for another room in the house with another big screen. This is the perfect way to cut the proverbial cable cord. I stream ALL of my TV and movie watching and will stream all of my college football (when the season starts). I've seen many questions on here regarding upgrading the RAM. If you plan on using this as a media streaming device like I have, I don't see the need in supersizing anything on this unit. I've attached both of these computers to 50 inch TVs.. Other than spending $35 for a Chromecast, these are my wisest purchases I've ever made. Setup quick, smooth graphics, more than enough speed to stream things like Amazon Prime or Netflix. If you complain about this computer, I can't imagine what makes you happy.
on March 26, 2014
Quiet and fast. I use it for streaming and web on my TV. Only negative is Windows 8 but that's not much of an issue.
on August 4, 2015
I got exactly what I expected, it performs as expected (not awesome but as advertised), it's got plenty of nice features, it's small, quiet and upgraded to Windows 10 smoothly.

My only complaint is minor, it came with a wireless USB mouse and keyboard, which is nice, but I'm a Bluetooth fan - I don't like using dongles.