5.0 out of 5 stars best performance ever seen
Boot extremely fast, about 8 seconds, very lightweight and fast. This is the best ultrabook/notebook i ever used. I am very happy with the purchase and its performance.

Batteries discharge quickly, about 3 1/2 hours.
Published on August 15, 2012 by Oliveira

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: BUYER BEWARE
Lightweight, thin, and good battery life. Gets about 6 hours with brightness down and on power saver. Other than that, does everything I need.

Published on October 7, 2012 by K J

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: BUYER BEWARE, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire S3-391-9606 13.3-Inch HD Display Ultrabook (Champagne) (Personal Computers)

UPDATE: Be careful with Acer and SSD's. Mine just failed, with no warning signs. Make sure you have your data backed up at all times. No telling when it will break down. I've read about others having a problem with the SSD from Acer as well. Luckily Amazon took it back for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars best performance ever seen, August 15, 2012

Batteries discharge quickly, about 3 1/2 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great performance, average build quality, October 4, 2012
I bought this somewhere else (BH) a week ago, for a better price. For its spec, it was a huge value purchase. And many vendors got its integrated graphics wrong. It is Intel 4000 that came along with Ivy bridge.

Pros:
Price
CPU
SSD
Amazing boot time
Weighted same as MacAir
Good looking

Was worried about battery life. Now it seemed just fine. I don't use it for videos, just schoolwork and browsing the web, somewhere under 5 hours
Touchpad felt somewhat loose, not sure if it is common, but this is a con
Slightly thicker than other ultrabooks, but not noticeable
Viewing angle is a con, but not big deal
There was no overheating issue.. unless tapping the HD 4000 which I never did?

Overall, its was a value performance book

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire S3 391-9606, October 7, 2012
This laptop is thin (0.7") for an ordinary laptop and weighs only 3 lbs., but I would not classify it as an ultrabook or netbook. It performs as well as any computer I've used, presumably because of the Core i7 processor and 128 GB SSD drive - bootup is quite fast, and now that Office programs have been tweaked, startup is fast there as well. The keyboard is comfortable, and overall this is a high quality laptop that justifies the $950 price I paid for it. The downsides are: the trackpad is hard to navigate, even after you try to configure it, and the graphics display is not as good as I need (1366 X 768), especially when it is displayed on a 22" monitor (but you may need to go straight from the Acer's HDMI out to HDMI in on your monitor, which I don't have). It was delivered promptly, and there wasn't too much bloatware to remove, so after installing Office, etc., I was productive with it right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and powerful but light Laptop value for your money, January 25, 2013
Great and powerful but light Laptop value for your money.
Nice sleek and ultra light makes it nice to have

1.0 out of 5 stars REVISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, November 25, 2012
It hurts me to write this update to this device. I normally don't rewrite reviews not because I don't have time or I find something else wrong with it, but I must say that this is the Mark Sanchez of Laptops. Early in it career, it did good, but since then its been bad... Really bad! Now I turned my head when it struggled with netflix. Or when it would not use my 3.0 usb(s) correctly. But I was expecting this computer to at least last the warranty . It didn't. This computer seem to have a heating problem. This is a fundamental design problem that is unacceptable by today standards of computing. I Will get another computer, maybe a Lenovo, but I would pass on this one. Don't let the specs fool you this is junk at best. The best thing this computer did for me was break before 30 days passed.

************Revised***********And***********Update****************************************
Look this is not a perfect computer. It has flaws faults and is not end all to be all product. But, it is good, and I will not fault a product for being DOA unless it has a design flaw that the producers knew was in it but did not address it during its production. ALA XBOX. There is no tech you can find that has 0 defects. I do have a issue with the opening and closing of this laptop and may be a danger waiting to happen if you allow it to just snap shut or let it close haphazardly. With that kind of force it can surely damage the SSD, after multiple hard closings of the PC. But, this is a computer that I wish everyone would go ahead and get. Lets face it, mechanical drives are going the way of the dinosaurs and fast. And, I also believe that laptop should be used more exclusively than tablet because if you want to get some work done then you have to pull out the laptop. But SSDs are the wave of the future with them becoming so cheap now days, the bandwidth is getting larger, SSDs are smaller more user friendly than a mechanical drive. Its just better for laptops in this day and again of hyper-speed networks and software.

I've read some of the comments below, about the processor speed. Let me tell my theory on this... Laptops with SSDs in them with medium sized memory are harder on the processor than mechanical drives only because of the speed that the processor is getting basic information. This is clearly a bottle neck issue. With a bottle neck being at accessing the memory from the hard drive you have a bottle neck there that is not noticeable because of the data swapping a lag time of the mechanics of the hard drive. But, with SSDs, that data is being sent at lighting speed with no bottle neck at all between SSDs and memory. So you basically have data coming right off the hard drive to processor. Even with the i7's fortitude, you're not going to get that much difference in speed only because of the speed of data masquerading between SSD and processor, which is why it is so fast in the first place. So now your bottle neck is on the processor side now.

I have written all this not to make an excuse for Acer, but to give it its props for what it does. And to me what it does is prolong the life time of laptops so that tablets won't take over the market and force us to forgo the age of real computing vs. entertainment devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, Solid Laptop, December 8, 2012
I have had this laptop for about 2 weeks and have been really impressed. This is my third Acer Aspire laptop. I did not intend to buy an Acer, in fact I really wanted to try a different brand, but the raw specs and design convinced me to buy another. I dual boot Ubuntu Linux and Windows, with Ubuntu being my main OS and Windows being used mainly for MS Word for docs I need to make sure are correctly formatted.

The first thing that surprised me was that the processor was rated at 1.9Ghz not 3 according to the system information. Upon further research I learned that this line of processors (Intel Sandy Bridge I believe) have the ability to step up and step down processor speed depending on need, the idea being to save you power when you don't need it but still being able to step up speed when needed. This is the "turbo boost" feature. In practice, during normal use (web browsing, word processing) the the processor runs at below 1Ghz, but it does in fact step up to 3Ghz.

The build quality is really nice, feels solid and sturdy. It is a hard plastic that could be mistaken for metal due to both the finish and texture. All the ports are on the back, which helps keep the laptop really thin, but can be somewhat awkward in that you will need to stand up and flip the laptop around if you want to plug something in. Of course, this being an ultra-book like laptop (I don't believe it quite meets the Intel qualifications to qualified as an "ultrabook") you will make some sacrafices with the jacks: two usb, one hdmi, power, sd card reader, headphone jack and thats it. But the tradeoff is a thin, sexy laptop. You could always get some usb hubs if you need more and a usb dvd drive. But I haven't been bothered by the lack of ports, I pretty much use the cloud for everything anyway.

The keyboard is nice, it is really quite compared to others I use. Unlike the Acer Timeline X there dirt wont get under the keys. Being a 13 inch laptop there are a few quirks to the keyboard, namely the "enter" key on the right side is smaller than normal and shares space with the "\|" key above it. The arrow keys are also tiny. I have gotten along just fine with the keyboard. The only problems I have had to adjust to are 1) the arrow keys, which also double as brightness and volume keys, because they are small it takes some adjusting to hit them without looking, and 2) the slightly larger mouse pad, I have a tendancy to hit it with my right thumb and end up moving somewhere else in my document without noticing, but its gotten more rare now and you can always disable the pad if you need to.

Linux compatibility: Everything worked pretty much out of the box. The only major thing missing was brightness controls, which can be updated via adding a line to the GRUB file. Other than that, no major problems.

Battery life: This is a smaller laptop and only has 4 cells, compared to the normal 6 cell laptop batteries. You make compromises to keep it thin. That said, out of the box it was getting about 4 hours. If you go to Acers website, do to the downloads page and download the appropriate BIOS update (get the right one or there is the possibility of damaging your computer). Its really easy in windows, download a file, click it, and it runs in windows. After that I have been getting a pretty solid 6 hours under normal stress (defined above). With Linux, there is a page [...] which has a number of tips for optimizing the laptop although it has written for the s3-951 I have used them without any issues, and following them, with the wifi off and brightness down I can push the laptop close to 8ish hours.

Oh, and the laptop is fast. Extremely fast. You will be spoiled. Boot-up is around 8 seconds, the BIOS literally flashes across the screen. As you would imagine with the Solid State Drive everything is lighting, opening apps, saving files, etc. As mentioned the process is obviously fast. I don't use it for too much heavy lifting, but to give you a rough idea, Balloons Tower Defense 5 on my old Acer (believe 1.6Ghz and first generation i5 processor) would start to run slow around level 40-50. On this laptop I have been past level 110 without any (literally any) slowdown, it runs like it was level 1. Then I get bored. Also, the fan does kick on under load but is surprisingly quite.

Conclusion: Overall super fast laptop, nice design, thin, and just an overall pleasure to use. But you will make some tradeoffs, namely fewer ports, tighter keyboard layout, and battery life that will need some tweaking (albeit pretty simple stuff) to get it above 4 hours

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire, February 20, 2014
Like the size. Hard drive failed before a year was out. Had to ship it to Texas. Scary but successful. Just putting back online now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two manufacturing defects, plus a r-e-a-l-l-y slow warranty repair service = not the greatest, January 30, 2014
Like the laptop. Love the start--up speed. Out of the box, one key did not work; sent for warranty repair (took over 4 weeks), now touch pad right button not working. Grrrr

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, October 19, 2013
i enjoy my Acer Aspire very much.
It is everything i need.

Pros: fast, efficient, light, boots quickily, great size for school.
Cons: mousetouchpad feels a little 'fragile' in my hands, case of plastic feels eaily breakable (altough it's holding fine) and Hard Drive is just too small to my personal needs and i had to get an external drive...

Great choice for university students.