4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, albeit pricey
I searched long and hard for a new laptop, considering the Microsoft Surface, Lenovo Yoga, and then more traditional laptops. My criteria was that I wanted small, touchscreen, Windows 8, and HD display.

Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published 20 months ago by drK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, albeit pricey, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire S7-191-6447 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (Silver) (Personal Computers)

While I have tablets, they typically can't do everything (like rip a DVD to the hard drive to watch later), and some web pages still just aren't right on the tablet.

I ended up with the Acer Aspire S7 with the 11.6 inch screen, and I have no complaints. It does what it's supposed to do, in a very small package.

Here are my favorites: It starts fast! Like I can start up my android tablet (or even phone) and walk a mile before it's ready to go. This, though, is basically ready as fast as I can type in my passcode. The screen is great, and touch is accurate. Windows 8 has a learning curve, but it's a great way to navigate. The backlit keyboard is nice--I've spent too many times in the past trying to light up keys to see what I'm typing.

The negative: typing isn't perfect, as the keys don't depress super far, but it's better than a Surface touch tablet cover. The hard drive is pretty small, and ram cannot be upgraded, but that's been okay so far. I have semi-permanently installed a 64 GB micro SD card in the slot for storage space, and I made a USB backup which allowed me to remove the backup files from the hard drive freeing more space.

The other nice touch is that is comes with a Bluetooth wireless mouse that works right away, and a case that fits the laptop. The second battery clips on the back, allowing one to go without if wanting the pc to be even smaller.

It's a great little machine I definitely enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, March 21, 2013
drK (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
(Updated 7/2013) So I've had this laptop about 4 months. My #1,2 and 3 criteria were weight and I LOVE LOVE LOVE how light this is. For the first time ever, I have a functional laptop I can carry around with me which I love. Did I mention how light it is? It starts up super-fast which makes it extremely usable. Did I mention the weight? That, I think, is the saving grace on this laptop. It is thin, small, and easy to pop in my bag and carry around. I hardly notice when I am carrying it which is a large change from my prior 3# computer. The screen is small, but for me, weight was the main need, so it is functional. If this were your main computer, I think you would want a 13" screen.

I actually like the touchscreen aspect, particularly the ability to increase font size. I think in a few years, this will be a nice feature. I saw a few years because it is too early in the technology now. The overall design of the Asus is lovely and it's a beautiful and well-designed interface.

BUT, and I'm afraid there are a lot of buts...
I researched laptops obsessively for a year and finally said: I need to get *something*. If you have another year to wait, I think I would recommend that before buying something new now. I should also say I am NOT a computer geek who knows a lot about computers. I am an average person, using average programs (word, excel, STATA, internet, email), and I can't always understand the complex and technical workarounds that might fix some of my challenging win 8 problems.

--It is true that the battery length is terrible (in my experience, about 3.5 hrs for routine internet surfing, email, Microsoft word, excel, etc. I haven't tried anything like watching videos or gaming. The extended battery is nice design-wise and adds a lot of battery time, but then takes away from the light weight, so it's a tradeoff. If you needed constant extended battery time AND very, very light-weight, this is not the computer for you. I don't use the battery for routine use so for me it's OK though sometimes during the day I have to limit my use so I don't run out of juice. I will need to take along the batter when I travel.

--Windows 8 is terrible. I think this is the source of most of my issues...some programs I use regularly aren't easily compatible and can take hours to figure out how to go thru unusual efforts to download, Internet Explorer and MS Word stall constantly and crash frequently. I've read all the tips on how to improve win 8, and I'm better than I was initially, but it just is a very amateur program with lots of on-going problems. I do think it was probably too early for release of this program. In a year, with revisions, it will probably work much better, and the learning curve is not as bad as people say. Win8 apps are not great--many of them lack the functionality of regular programs. For example, the app for internet explorer saves you time (easy to just touch the icon to start) but doesn't let you save favorites or have a toolbar, so it's not very practical. Many of the apps are like this--just easier to use less-convenient regular programs than half-functional apps. The apps on my iPhone are much better.

--Many of my programs (most of them, actually) stall frequently (blue circle rotates and you have to wait for 30-45 seconds). I'm guessing that's a Win 8 problem but I tried re-installing the OS and nothing changed. Remember, I'm not a computer geek; many of you are much smarter about this technology and might be able to fix these issues but I think I'm stuck with it.

--The touchpad on the Acer seems over-over-over sensitive. I'm constantly finding myself sending emails before they are done, inadvertantly increasing or decreasing my font size just because I have touched the touchpad in some unusual way. I still haven't quite figured out how this is working or how to fix it but it's just annoying. Not sure if that is a win8 or Acer problem. That said, I like the ability to easily magnify text just by touch because the 11" screen is small. Hopefully I'll figure this out eventually. For now, when I'm at home, I just use the mouse because it's much easier than the touchscreen.

--If you do buy an Acer, the first thing you need to do is write down your serial number (which is oddly not marked anywhere on the physical body of the computer--you have to do some special queries available on-line to figure out how to find it from the SSD). I tell you this because if you have a problem, you cannot ask a SINGLE question to Acer support without your serial number. If your machine won't boot correctly (as happened to me for several weeks and according to my on-line search has happened to many other Acer users), you can't do the usual query process to get your serial number so you are totally out of luck.

Do I regret my purchase? Well, no, because if weight is your top criteria and you need a full-fledged laptop, there just isn't much out there to beat this. Nothing better than a 2# laptop. The design is gorgeous, keyboard is nice (one key sticks), and overall I can deal or work around the flaws with my needs. But this wouldn't work for everyone. If I had been able to wait a year, I think that would have been ideal. Hopefully there will be upgrades to win 8 and things will be better. If not, I may be looking for another computer in a year or two.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but with a few issues., May 23, 2013
My main criteria in the purchase of this product was weight. In that aspect, it shines! However, there are other issues one may want to consider. Is it because it was a refurb? I think not and am glad I didn't go the Full Monty price wise. But honestly and in reality, after reading all the reviews on line, I knew I was taking a bit of a chance on this model. Edit 05/25/13: I am uping my rating to 3 stars since I have now been able to get wireless and bluetooth working satisfactorily. Overall: I like this unit as long as it will continue to work

External build quality is good. However...

Both bluetooth and wireless failed after 3 days. Yes, yes, I know all about the driver issues, I know all about the power-saving issues. I did my homework before it even arrived, the proper steps were taken and it worked fine for 3 days and that was it. Nothing I could do could restore it-this is a hardware/driver issue pure and simple. Sent it in for repair at Acer Warranty, who just sent me an email saying their testing cannot confirm my issues so therefore, they are sending it back to me with nothing fixed.

Edit 05/25/13: They must have done something at Warranty repair because the unit did come back with the wireless working but the bluetooth was still inoperative and nothing had been done about it. So after much online research, I was able to fix it by doing a complete wipe and re-installing Windows 8 from the Recovery stick that I had created. My undoing originally, was installing the updated wireless and bluetooth drivers from the Acer support website when I first got the machine. I see as of this writing that they have a new wireless driver with last digits of .234. I think I had installed .217. Anyway, I've got everything working by rolling back the drivers to original OEM install and everything is working and I am leaving it at that.

The touch-pad is now OK by using the OEM installed driver with no update.

Keyboard is not great-but not horrible, just a little shallow. This unit is so thin that they didn't have many options. Most people can live with it including me.

Display is very good and I had no issues with the touchscreen which worked well. The resolution may be too high for some on an 11.6 display... scaling up to 125% makes it much better for older eyes.

Battery life is not great. But again, in this small unit running an i5 where are you going to put it? At least they sent along an external battery that should about double it. I got about 2:40 running the unit normally... surfing, listening to music and the display brightness where I like it during the daytime. The external battery will about double that.

Interesting arrangement on the internal SSD storage. It is designed as two SSD's on one card with a common controller in RAID0 mode from the factory. So you end up with a very fast striped 128 gig drive. You can disable the RAID set and have two slower 64 gig SSD drives. I did it and have Windows on one drive and Linux on the other which was a good way to dual boot if you don't mind data moving a bit slower on the non-RAID setup.

In order to do any of that, you must disable UEFI which is easily done regardless of what I have read in other reviews. Booting from flash drives, again, no issue as long as you are in legacy mode in the BIOS. I also found that if I use the Recovery stick to re-install Windows 8 onto the system with legacy BIOS enabled that I no longer have to deal with UEFI at all. Good if dual booting, but of course, no malware protection at boot up if that is a concern.

Last thought... Immediately make a 16 gig USB Recovery stick so that you can recover Windows 8 if necessary. Also, please note: Be careful if you intend to use Paragon Backup for partition/disk imagining. I cannot get the USB recovery tool to boot with the Acer BIOS so the disk images that I made with Paragon couldn't be used. For some reason the Acer BIOS sees the Paragon produced software on the USB as floppy media and will not boot it. Partition table is out of place or something like that. Anyway, Acronis backup works OK.

Update 11/11/13. Been happy with the unit for close to six months now. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 and bluetooth troubles began anew when I upgraded the BT/wireless driver. The fix seems to be to slow the mouse pointer and click speed down one tic slower then default on the sliding scale in the Mouse properties in the Control Panel. Apparently the wireless card can't handle the data moving too fast and drops the connection. No other issues with wireless after upgrade. I would give this unit a four star rating now.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy with mine. Update: Dead in 2 months., May 21, 2013
Tom Hoots (Salem, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Update, 02/23/2014:

I'm moving my rating back up to four stars. I did send my S7 back for warranty repairs, and it was repaired and returned to me INCREDIBLY quickly. Truly, I wasn't without it for much more than a week, including all shipping. They replaced just about everything other than the hard drive and the case and screen -- motherboard, memory, battery, etc. And it has worked just fine ever since. It remains just a wonderful little notebook, with the huge advantage of the MicroSD slot, which I use for a 64GB card that hosts all of my personal files.

Update, 07/17/2013:

Well, after two months, I have a $1,100 doorstop. My S7 is completely, absolutely, positively dead. It won't start up, no LED's light up to show that anything is going on, no LED's light up to show that the charger is plugged in -- it is just a lump of worthlessness. I've used it very sparingly -- less than once a week, I think I could call it. It has always been protected by a sleeve or a case, even while it's been sitting in a drawer. The only way I could have been more gentle with it would have been to have just put it in a drawer, and never touched it again.

All I can do now is send it away, and hope that it will come back some day. And then see if it will last longer than another two months. Unfortunately, Acer's online forum has quite a few messages about S7 notebooks failing at around two months of life, and it doesn't look like a single one has ever been repaired -- Acer hasn't had the parts to fix them. I can only send it off and see if that state of affairs has changed or not.

So, I'm changing my rating to one star, and I'd give it zero if I could. It was absolutely wonderful while it worked, but I've never had a notebook utterly fail on me before this -- I've had perhaps a dozen notebooks that never had any issues, whatsoever. Truth be told, I had heard of some reliability problems with the S7, but I figured I'd try my luck. All I can do is recommend against trying to push your luck, like I did.

And now I return you to my original review, written in much happier days:

I'm happy with my S7-191-6447. I find the Windows 8 "tiles" interface to be absolutely, completely, 100% useless, but happily, you can use programs such as Classic Shell that will let you avoid the tiles, and use the regular, old Start button menu that you know and you've been happy with for the past decade or two. Indeed, I use Classic Shell, a free program, and I recommend it highly.

With the tiles out of the way, I find Windows 8 to be pretty nice, and it feels absolutely "minimal" -- not like there are a million things running in the background, like I've felt with other Windows versions. I had one old program that Windows 8 reported as "incompatible," but you can just right-click an icon that launches the program, choose Properties, and then get in there and choose to run it in a compatibility mode for an older Windows version. I chose Windows Vista, and that program has run just fine, ever since.

I gave the computer 5 stars, even though it usually gets knocked back for its battery life and a few other odd bits. Personally, the battery life is plenty for my needs, even without the external battery. The keyboard takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with, but that's always going to be the case with a small, thin notebook like this. Yes, many folks want more RAM and more disk space, but this is essentially the default configuration of an official "ultrabook."

Otherwise, the computer checks all of the boxes I want: Ultra-small and lightweight, 1920 x 1080 IPS screen (it is fantastic), illuminated keyboard, and so on. I absolutely appreciate the MicroSD slot -- like many other folks, I've fitted a 64GB card in there, and so far, that's where I keep all of my personal data, including gigabytes of pictures, music, and videos.

The computer is very quiet -- when not under heavy loads, it is essentially noise-free. The fan will start running when you do give it a bit of a load, but even then it's still very quiet.

The sound is quite good for a tiny ultrabook like this -- of course, there isn't anything approaching "real bass," but otherwise it's far better than most notebooks I've owned.

And so on. In the end, it's a very competent notebook that's as small and light as you can get, with an excellent screen and good features such as the illluminated keyboard and the MicroSD slot. It also comes with a fine, minimal case, the external battery, and a Bluetooth mouse that just connects right up the first time you plug the batteries into it. There are more obvious things that might be dealbreakers for you, such as the battery life, the amount of disc space, and so on, but those are well-documented -- I hope that I might have given you some good information about some of the less-obvious things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and small and fast enough but the fan is noisy, April 15, 2014
I wanted a PC for work that was light enough that it would not build up muscles carrying it back and forth from home, be small enough to fit into my compendium for day-trip flights, run Windows, last a reasonable time on batteries so I would not need to plug it in during customer presentations and not cost the earth.

After an extensive/exhaustive/ridiculous time searching I decided it was either this Acer or a MacBook Air. The (to me) wasted space for Apple OS on the MacBook - I am not a fan of Apple's software and cop quite a lot of grief from Jobs' Acolytes for such audacity - tipped me the Acer way and so I ordered my unit last week.

Delivery was quick. They were obviously in stock and the unit arrived before the shipping email did.

The packing for the ultrabook itself was gorgeous. This was quite literally like unwrapping a high-end chocolate box at Christmas, with elegantly folded black cardboard tucked into clever shapes. I actually felt bad putting the boxes into the recycling, they were such good quality and there was no wasted space. It was far and away the best packing I have ever seen.

The packing for the extra battery I purchased was not so gorgeous. Just a brown cardboard box, much bigger than it needed to be, and looking very much an afterthought next to the main box.

I liked that the Acer came with Bluetooth mouse, Ethernet and VGA adapters, as that saved me having to remember to buy them and also saved me some $$ in the process. There is also a soft-ish carry envelope that will come in handy for those day trips. The box also included a spare battery, which I did not see in the base unit manifest when I ordered it, so now I have two spare batteries. On that basis, I would suggest double checking whether yours includes the battery, as two is probably one too many.

Now, about that Bluetooth mouse...I cannot get it to connect! The Acer valiantly tries, and I can see the link going up and down, but it is unusable for me, even after a driver update. Others seem to have similar problems and I don't have another Bluetooth mouse to test, so at this stage I don't know if it is just the Acer mouse or **any** Bluetooth mouse (indeed, perhaps any Bluetooth device?).

I do not like the power plug-pack. It is HUGE, both compared to the ultrabook itself and compared to other PC plug-packs. My daughter has a 15" Acer Aspire V5 and her plug-pack is smaller! Go figure, but it is annoying to have to lug around such a bulky unit.

Running an Intel i5 the Acer is grunty enough for normal work tasks - Word, PowerPoint, Excel and browsing - but I am not yet convinced that only 4GB of RAM will be enough for me as I can open up quite a few documents at the same time. The speed of the SSD will hopefully offset any disk swapping performance concerns I have, and certainly the 128GB SSD should do me fine as I only keep work documents on it. However, out-of-the-box there is only 76GB of space left and I'm now hunting whatever has been loaded that I don't need because it seems a lot of space has already been consumed.

In that regard, there are the usual "why do I care" apps loaded, including too many that I didn't even recognize (though my daughter certainly did!) and while the Acer is not bloated by any means, the factory default image is not razor thin.

And being out-of-the-box, Windows needed to apply updates, and that is where my eyebrows went up...and stayed there!

Acer promotes the "Twin Air cooling system" - two fans, one sucking in, one blowing out apparently - but what they don't say is that when they kick in, they are loud. Downloading and installing the almost-1GB of updates tricked the fans into overdrive, with the S7 sounding a lot like when our iron initially steams up for many, many minutes as it sat in the corner bringing various software modules up to date.

I'm not gong to review Windows 8 per se, but the small screen and high resolution - the screen is visually excellent, by the way - means that some applications are not zoomed up large enough to be useful. As most of my work is via an attached monitor, I am not overly fussed by this, but I did find it amusing that one of the main offenders is Internet Explorer. Having a touch screen made it easy to zoom up, but I need to tweak various Windows 8 attributes to sort this out 'at the source', rather than keep reaching out to zoom.

One aspect that will take getting used to is opening the case. The hinge has a high degree of resistance, and the gap when the lid is closed is very tight, making me look quite the fool with my fumbling fingers. That resistance means that the screen does not slip backward when you are touching it, and there is a small indent in the lid where I can see the intent is to put your fingers for opening, but it is not an immediately accessible design.

The keyboard is not so good. Given the size and thinness of the case, it is much better than I expected but you need to hit the keys dead center for the press to be recognised. Given that I will do most of my typing on an external keyboard, the unusual layout of the function keys and limited travel of the keys themselves is not a showstopper by any means, but using the keyboard for any length of time is frustrating. On the plus side, the key backlighting is great, emitting a soft light that is easy on the eyes in the dark, though probably not easy on the battery!

The touchpad is OK. I found it a bit touchy (pun intended) at first, especially when I was trying to generate a mouse 'click' (and especially a right mouse click) but I am slowly getting used to it. Given that I found my new ThinkPad similarly difficult, I strongly suspect that the issue is more me than any particular computer hardware.

I have not tried to play music yet, and probably won't to be honest, but I can see there are two speakers under the front of the case and a "Dolby Home Theatre" label above the keyboard so it should be loud enough if you're sitting in a quiet space near the system.

So far I satisfied with my purchase, apart from the fans. They are way noisier than I expected and while they only seem to come on when the CPU is running hard, that's likely to be more often than I expect. But the weight (or lack thereof) and small size make it a perfect lug-around machine for work.

** UPDATE TO ORIGINAL REVIEW **

I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 and run the Windows Experience Index (which is a real chore in 8.1 because Microsoft has removed the UI for some reason so you have to muck around with Command Prompt and PowerShell to get the numbers. It's annoying!):

CPU Score: 7.2
D3D Score: 5
Disk Score: 8.3
Graphic Score: 5.5
Memory Score: 5.9

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Acer Aspire S7-191-6447 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook, August 22, 2013
The Acer Aspire S7-191-6447 is an outstanding Ultrabook. The initial setup was straightforward and very smooth. The 1920x1080p IPS display is crisp with beautiful colors. Without a doubt, this is the fastest computer that I have ever used, with its 128GB solid state drive in the RAID 0 configuration. I love the light and sleek 11.6-inch form factor, with its premium aluminum unibody construction and very impressive appearance. This is my first computer with the Windows 8 operating system, and I enjoy the live tiles. If one prefers the Windows 7 appearance, the Desktop is easily accessible by pressing the Windows Key plus the letter D. Since the Acer Aspire S7-191-6447 is so thin and light, it easily fits in a briefcase, and can function as a powerful mobile office. I congratulate Acer on this superb Aspire S7 Ultrabook, which is a true competitor to the 11.6-inch Apple MacBook Air. Best regards, Ken Rodino, M.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good ultrabook for the price, thin and light, September 30, 2013
Daniel Agans (FORT WAYNE, IN, US) - See all my reviews
i really like this laptop. my requirements were less than 13", HD display, backlit keyboard, and decent power. This guy fits the bill quite well, and added a touchscreen to boot. I'm really surprised just how frequently I've ended up using the touchscreen, which was a feature on my "take it or leave it" list. It's quite nice for scrolling an article, zooming in to show someone what you're looking at, or reading a guitar tab.
Almost all of my complaints are in the software, which I don't really consider any fault of acer in all likelihood. the backlit keyboard doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to the times it's on and the times it's off, and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to figure out how to put linux on here without ruining the windows install due to this newfangled UEFI business. Those are non-issues to most consumers though.
The only actual problem I've had is the ease in which the aluminum parts of the case get dinged. it seems like the aluminum is super super thin, so the edges have a few small gouges in them. This is no real problem now, but it makes me wonder where I'll be at in a year or so. i'm envisioning something like the early macbook top-case mess, but hopefully i'm wrong.
the keyboard does take some getting used to, i'm sure you've read that in the official reviews. since i go back and forth between different laptops and desktops all day long i still haven't completely gotten used to it. the function keys don't end up being a huge inconvenience though, so that's cool. all in all i think it was quite a good purchase for about $800

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved it until the hard drive died at 11 weeks, July 19, 2014
LSC "lsc" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I loved it until the hard drive died at 11 weeks. Ugh! Searching Acer s7 "no bootable device" and you will find this is a common problem.

Update: Contacted Acer they are fixing under warranty and were very quick to help. Fingers crossed that what I am guessing will be a hard drive replacement gives me a fully functional laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Macbook Air killer? No. But probably as close as you can get with a Windows laptop., June 14, 2014
I have a Macbook Air, and for 90% of things it can't be beat. But there are still reasons to use a Windows laptop from time to time, so I went on a search to find a Windows laptop that is as good as an Air. Well, I tried the ASUS Zenbook which looked like an Air, it was light like and Air, and aluminum like an Air. But I didn't like the keyboard, I kept messing up because the keys took to much pressure. And the trackpad sucked, it just wasn't smooth like an Air trackpad, it was hit or miss and gave no feeling of confidence. And what I really hated about the ASUS is the same problem I have with the Acer S7, the ac adapter connection! The Acer S7 has the same exact crappy ac adapter jack and plug as the ASUS! It's a very small plug, maybe 2 or 3 mm with a 1/4" long plug. And the barrel is the only thing that goes into the jack, which is just asking to have the jack broken if the cord is snagged. The magsafe adapter on the MacBook Air is the most awesome idea ever for a power connection to a laptop, it held on magnetically and there is no way you can break it by snagging the cord, it just pops off from the magnets. There is no pin in the hole type of connection. So, I know the magsafe is patented, so maybe this kind of connector is all Windows laptops can use, which is a shame. But this connector is even worse than all the connectors I had on my old Windows laptops. At least they were not so small and breakable.

One thing I like on the Acer S7 is the trackpad. It's not quite as smooth as a MacBook Air, but it's the best I've ever found on a Windows laptop by far! It's probably 80% as good as an Air's trackpad. It's glass like the Air so it won't wear like so many non glass trackpads. I also like the touchscreen. It's as nice as my iPad, maybe even better because you have a keyboard as well. The pinch zoom on the Acer is great! No stuttering, just smooth. The sound is really good for an ultra book! Very loud! The keyboard is backlit, but it has one great flaw is that it has silver keys, and a bluish backlight which make it hard to see the letters from an angle that I use it on my lap. I have no problem like that with the Air. Touch typing on it seems to be pretty good, I didn't make a lot of errors. I'd say it's about 75% as good as the Air's keyboard in that respect. It had very low travel, which is like the Air. It comes with Windows 8, which really sucks, but it's a little better on a touchscreen laptop like this one. I'm trying to figure out what program to buy to make it like Windows 7. I think the top is aluminum, but the bottom is definitely plastic, and I'm not sure about the keyboard platform, I think it's plastic. It's about the same weight as a MacBook Air. One really nice thing is that it doesn't seem to get hot at all! I would say it's better than a MacBook Air in that respect, although I haven't used it for anything besides internet browsing.

So, overall, I would say it's maybe 7 on a scale of ten with the Macbook Air being a 10. But it's better than the ASUS Zenbooks, and it's better than the Thinkpad X201, which I also have (though maybe not the better value), IMO. It's also better than the Lenovo Twist I had, which was in the same ultra book category. I bought my 11" S7 for $500 on eBay, I bought my 2011 11" Macbook Air for $600 on eBay, and I bought my 11" Thinkpad X201 laptop for $250. I can't see paying full price, as you can see. If I were to have one ultra book it would definitely be a MacBook Air. And where the MacBook Air shines is in the trackpad smoothness, the magsafe connector, the backlit keyboard, the slimness and weight, and the great resale value. Where it sucks is programs and apps. Everyone thinks people that own Apple products are rich, and they just rob you for any program! And the programs are not as good as those for Windows, IMO. And you can get a dozen free programs for anything you want to do on a Windows machine, and you look for a comparable Apple program and they want $100! Also I don't think Safari is as good as Internet Explorer because it is not as customizable. Windows Explorer is also a hundred times better than the stupid Mac Finder utility. Apple gives it's OS for free, where Gates tries to rob you every time he changes his OS. Well, that's my two cents!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine, October 7, 2013
Overall a very nice machine. Very fast, and the screen is awesome. The touchpad is too sensitive sometimes, but not sensitive enough others and the keyboard is tough to type on. Impressive in how thin and light it is. Not perfect, but there are inherent drawbacks to ultrabooks. Best ultrabook available for the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›