on October 30, 2013
I got this laptop to do serious 3D architectural AutoCAD design work and I love it. Intel i5 and 128mb of dedicated video card is powerful enough to run CAD very well. 1920x1080 resolution is necessary for my work, and few laptops have this spec. 13.3" is probably the lower limit to run CAD with all my multiple tools and icons. It comes with DPI set to Largest, which is kind of necessary because the screen is so small. It has two 128mb SSD in RAID 0, which seem to help to make everything run so fast. I love the portability, slim profile and design.

If you get this, update to Windows 8.1 right away. It comes with a very cheap Bluetooth mouse which keeps dropping constantly, so, get a nice Logitech. Overall I love this thing and I am getting ready to get another one for my business partner.

You'll need something like this Samsung Ultra Portable Slim DVD+/-RW USB External Drive, Black SE-218BB/RSBS if you want to install software, and I got the $152 SquareTrade 4-Year Computer Protection Plan ($900-1000) for peace of mind.

The other reviewer who complained about the touchpad is not right in giving a 1-star review just for this. Truth is that the touchpad is a bit sensitive, but I disable it by pressing "fn" + "T" and you're done. One tip is that, while using the touchpad, the lower corners of the pad act as buttons AND pad at the same time, therefore, if you keep one finger on the area of the button while trying to move the cursor with the other finger, you will get a very erratic behavior. Solution: lift your button finger while moving the cursor. I hope this helps.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2013
Overall:Outstanding product! A Definite Winner for Acer! To me, this is the perfect rival to the MacBook Air (essentially the same size/specs) but at $850 instead of >$1200, it's a no brainer. The only objective flaw is the battery life runs 4 hours.

I upgraded from a MacBook Pro to this Acer Aspire S7, and I'm glad I came back to the PC world. I think Microsoft has responded extremely well to the heat and pressure Apple has been placing on it over the years. These new ultra-thin Windows 8 powered machines popping up everywhere are testament to how serious they are about getting back on top. This particular Acer just felt perfect on my fingers when I went to check it out at the Microsoft store. I fell in love with it and had to get it.

Pros:Extremely light at 2.6lbs, ultra-sleek and thin, fast and effective for my purposes, and excellent resolution and touch screen.
- It's got a very professional, strong, and sleek silver finish.
- It comes with an ACER leather carrying case which was an unexpected added bonus for me
- It's extremely thin and light, sometimes, I can't even feel it in my bag when I'm carrying it.
- With its 128GB SSD harddrive I'm both satisfied with enough storage space and extremely fast boot time. I clocked it at 11 seconds from completely shut down to completely loaded.
- If you have it on sleep mode, it's an instant on if you flip open the lid.
- The Intel i5 processor is quick and efficient enough for my purposes:
- I use Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, chrome (with an average of 5-6 tabs), and spotify. I run these pretty much all the time at the same time and this machine has not shown any lag whatsoever. Very smooth, quick, and responsive.
- Windows 8 has grown on me and I don't find myself missing the Mac OSX at all.
- It comes with a complimentary wireless bluetooth mouse (also another added bonus I didn't expect)
- The screen is excellent. Resolution maxes out at 1920x1080 for an extremely sharp and crisp experience. Movies/Hulu/Netflix are great
- The touch screen feature is also neat. Great for using it as a pseudo-tablet when you want to. I use it mostly for some random game apps, Netflix, or for quick navigating through my start menu charms.
- Alot of these ultra-thin computers from other brands can feel awkward when typing with keys placed awkwardly, but this Acer's got everything in the right place. I'm never having to retype things and constantly backspace because of accidentally hitting the wrong keys. The placement of things like delete/home/page-up/page-down is very intuitive and natural.
- The trackpad (when you're not using the bluetooth wireless mouse) is excellent too! It's a single trackpad that clicks at the inferior edge for right/left click, it's able to track up to 3 fingers and can perform all kinds of quick tasks (much like the Macbook trackpad)

Cons: All minor and may not apply for your needs
- I've had this machine for about 4 months now and one of the only things I don't like is that the white outside screen case can get dirty with fingerprints easily but it's got a nice strong/glossy finish so once you clean it, it looks fine. I believe there's a model that comes in a silver/matte finish, which I guess I would have preferred.
- Battery life has averaged 4 hours for me- with the new processors and battery designs on the market that go for about 8-12 hours, this may be an issue if you're the type of user that sits for longer than 4 hours without a charge.
- Camera is not the highest resolution for video chats/picture taking

If you're looking for an upgrade, this one is hard to beat. Great specs, great size/weight, and most of all, incredible price at ~$850. You won't find this kind of quality in this size/package with these specs anywhere else. Definitely not at Apple. At least as of 3 months ago when I was looking at these head to head, the MacBook Air 13.3" had the same size hard drive, processor, screen size, and weight, and was priced at $1200 and I couldn't justify that wasted money. I couldn't be happier with this product.

Stay tuned for a video review addendum to demonstrate some of the awesome features coming soon!
on January 25, 2014
Pluses:
- Outer design: really nice. Light, thin and looks great.
- Screen quality - really nice HD screen. Like it a lot. When looking at screens of other laptops (older ones, not HD) I can see clearly the difference.
- Packaging - comes with a bluetooth mouse, a nice case for the computer, and Ethernet and VGA adapters.
- Price - very competitive compared to other vendors.
Minuses:
- Track pad is almost unusable. Just could not get along with it, and I have been extensively using laptops with track pads for about 10 years. Good there is a nice bluetooth mouse supplied in the package, without it I would have thrown the laptop out of the window.
- Battery is not that great. I did not take time but I could feel that it does not give a very long running time, surely less than what I expected.
- Keyboard - repeat key problem (sticky key). Need to install zechofix (search it in google) to solve the issue. I spent two frustrating weeks with the laptop until I found that fix.
- Performance - so so. Expected better performance especially with disk (flash) intensive operations.
Overall I like the design, shape and weight, not not so pleased with the overall usability, I'd give it between 2 to 3 stars, decided on 3 starts because of the low price of this laptop.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been buying and recommending computing products for 30 years. I took a chance on this Acer and now the cooling fan is making a terrible racket. The unit is five months old. Called Acer and their solution is for me to backup everything, send it to them for 7-10 days and hope to get it fixed. With an obvious hardware defect they should send out a new unit and allow me to use Windows migration tools to move to that unit and not lose 7-10 days of productivity. Also, their tech support is India and it takes to two to three times through each sentence to understand what is going on. Terrible support and marginal product to begin with.

My mistake. Never Acer again.
on March 9, 2014
I bought this Acer Ultrabook last October. It runs pretty fast and "clean' on Window 8 for me. It is light, stylish & well-designed. It did take me a week or so to manage the over-sensitive touch pad and keyboard. But not a problem for me. The battery life needs improvement as many suggested. I am impressed by its overall quality.

One note - I really don't like the awkward and anti-intuitive Window 8 platform.
on March 3, 2014
Before purchasing I read many reviews of this computer. Most were very positive, a few were negative and gave me pause. Not sure what to say about those negative ones but I have had the machine for several days now and it works beautifully: fast, clean, responsive, lightweight, nice to look at. Keyboard and touch pad work just fine. I'm very pleased with this purchase.
on February 20, 2014
The Acer Aspire Ultrabook is a great little computer. I only have two complaints about it.

First, the backlit keyboard is a great idea . . . when it is dark. BUT, the automatic variable light level works against itself in a softly lit situation. You see, the keys and the computer face are all aluminum color and the key symbols are cut-outs (to allow for back lighting). Makes sense ... except in the low light situation. Then the backlight comes on low, and that eliminates any contrast between the symbols and the key face so then the keys look blank! I guess that is no problem for those who have learned to touch type and never have to look at the keyboard, but that's not me.

My solution? Most of the time I have to turn the backlight off. Then I can see contrast between the key faces and the cut-out symbols.

My second complaint is that there are only 2 usb ports.

But, it is very light weight.
on February 7, 2014
It is perfect, much better than was I expected. To work with windows 8 in an easier way, it is necessary to have a touch screen.
on January 31, 2014
After some research, this laptop seemed a good move. Thin, powerful, very light and not so expensive. After a week, I had to return it. The fan made enough noise for my neighbor to know I was online and I seriously underestimated the limitations of Windows 8 (yes, even in a touchscreen). Not recommended.
on January 31, 2014
Met exactly with my expectations. Its a fast, nice looking and really light. Fantastic for everyday use. Recommend it 100%.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations