4.0 out of 5 stars Aspire S7 - Beautiful but not completely perfect.
Published 16 months ago by B. Hines

Published 8 months ago by rick macneil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Aspire S7 - Beautiful but not completely perfect., March 9, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire S7-391-9427 13.3-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (White) (Personal Computers)
The Aspire S7 line has quite a few models with flavors of processors, screen size, and what not. One of the newer models is the 9427 iteration. I have used it for about 3 weeks now, and the S7 is a very well designed product, well thought out, and durable. The aluminum chassis is a things of beauty and durability, making the ultrabook lightweight as well, 2.8lbs. The bottom is a tough plastic or polycarbonate which is well designed and looks very good. The cooling vents were well thought out, the hot air is pushed out the back, so using the laptop on your lap is very comfortable with no heat buildup. The S7 9427 comes with network 10/100MB and HDMI to VGA dongles, along with a leather like carrying bag, and a Bluetooth mouse. These added goodies are very welcomed in this kit. There are some major plus sides to this Ultrabook, but a few flaws, such as life no thing of beauty is not without those. The bullet list to be concise:

Pro's:
Fast Processer i7 2.0
4GB RAM
256GB SSD
Dolby sound, awesome speakers, great placement on the sides
HD 10 point touch screen, accurate and mind blowing resolution
2.8lbs
2 USB 3.0 ports
HDMI
Gorilla Glass
Illuminated Keyboard

Middle: Battery life has been around 4.5 hours with wifi on, on balanced mode do not believe anyone telling you the life is 6-7 hours. You will not see that with normal use and wifi on. One of the points for accessories, the Acer store has a second battery that screws in on the bottom which is flat, contoured, and has a battery life indicator on the side. It adds on about 3-4 hours, when used as reported on the Acer forums from people that have bought them, looks very nice it fit and form. I am purchasing one, price is $149.

Con's:
SD slot has the SD card sticking out, it does not click in. Not major, but should click in all the way.
Fans get loud at times, but this can be adjusted by software settings. Make sure to have the latest BIOS update.
Accupad, touchpad, (or whatever you want to call it) can be a little annoying with the clicks takes a little getting used to - however, no accupad has been flawless even MBA. The Elan software can be adjusted for the swipes, clicks, and gestures though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Review, June 13, 2013
Although many have commented on the short battery life, I wanted to concentrate on the second battery sold by Acer.

Acer does offer a second battery on the Acer store online for $150. In my opinion, it is definitely worth the money.

I did a few drain tests of the battery to see how long it lasted. All testes were done in default power saving mode and playing a movie on repeat.

Laptop itself with wifi on: 3 hours 45 minutes
Laptop with second battery, wifi on: 7 hours 31 minutes
Laptop with second battery, airplane mode on: 8 hours 21 minutes

I do have photos available: https://sites.google.com/site/stevestechreview/home/acer-aspire-s7-391

4.0 out of 5 stars USB to Ethernet FLAW & "Fishy" Price Fixing, March 15, 2013
chris_sf (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Most people buying this computer are the type of people seeking the best of the best. This computer meets those expectations in many ways so I will give it 4 stars DESPITE the appalling "secret" I am about to reveal:

The USB to Ethernet "goodie" dongle included with this computer is USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0!!

You might not think it would make much of a difference, but you would be wrong. When I bought a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter (for approx. $30) my speed when wired went from 24 MBPS to 36+ MBPS. In fact, no matter what time of day or night I use my computer now, the wired speed never falls below 36 MBPS -- whereas before I felt thankful to get 24 MBPS (sometimes it would drop as low as 16 MBPS!). So, a more than 50% difference in wired internet speed.

What a deceiving trick! To buy a top of the line computer, pay top dollar, and then be given a hand-me-down USB 2.0 chip set adapter for Ethernet as a supposed "goodie" when the computer itself is wired for USB 3.0. To confirm it's a USB 2.0 adapter versus being a USB 3.0 adapter, go to your device manager while your included (and outdated) "free" Acer Ethernet adapter is plugged in. That will tell you.

Shame on you, ACER.

UPDATE RE FISHY PRICING AS OF 4/1/13:
I got this computer for $1,456 (the price at that time was fluctuating daily between that price and its current $1,539). So, I'm wondering if Square Trade and Amazon have some sort of deal going....because the moment the price drops below $1,500 the cost of the Square Trade warranty drops from $299 to $181 for the exact same coverage. Fishy, fishy price fixing. BUT -- THE COMPUTER OVERALL IS GREAT... even with its flaws. At this point in time, you literally can't find better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare! Paid top dollar for a 'top of line' laptop and have had nothing but problems., November 26, 2013
First laptop received had line through the display. This was immediately replaced through the Amazon warranty-thank you Amazon. Of course had to be without the laptop during the shipping time. After the first month, but within only the first few months of ownership, the laptop had to be returned because it was very loud. The fan was replaced and the laptop was returned. But I was without a laptop for a couple weeks for the repair process. A few months later, the hard drive failed and I again returned the computer for repair. I am now in my second week without a laptop AGAIN. I have had to return the laptop 3 times in the first 7 months of ownership.

When the laptop actually worked, I liked the design and the processing speed was good. The keyboard was better on the first one (with the display problem) that I had for less than a week. The keyboard and the touchpad mouse on the replacement computer has been extremely annoying. The keys often don't respond and they often stick and type double. The touch pad is erratic.

The customer service from Acer has been mindless as they fail to recognize the importance of making a customer happy. Obviously a customer should expect better when paying top dollar for a laptop. But they stick to their script. "Your warranty provides for repair of the laptop in the first year." Send it to repair center. We will repair and return to you within 7-10 business days. Meanwhile, the customer who has spent $1,800 for a laptop continues to do without.

Maybe some one at Acer will read this and do something to make it right?

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I expected, August 20, 2013
The computer is very nice, but it would have been better with a minimum of 8GB of RAM.
It works just fine. No problem so far with the WIFI as mentioned somewhere else

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful yet functional, March 13, 2013
I have been using the S7 for about 3 days now and love it! the touchscreen is fantastic with Win 8. The keyboard is a little shallow but you get used to it. No problem with the wi-fi like some have mentioned. The only thing I would have liked to see is longer battery life. Also I purchased the Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station and it works great with the S7; super helpful with my dual monitors and other peripherals

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ultrabook, April 2, 2013
Pros: This is a great ultra portable rig. I got it from another website because I had a gift card and I'm so glad I did!
1) It is fast and SO thin but feels sturdy in your hand.
2) The screen is crisp and has great viewing angles and brightness. The touchscreen is a little gimmicky right now but if Windows 8 ever gets some good apps then maybe it'll make it more useful.
3) The keyboard is awesome and easy and comfortable to type on.
4) The SSD's in raid 0 are crazy fast.
5) The sound from the speakers is much louder than I expected coming from the bottom of the machine but can get muddled if you're playing it on your lap on something soft like in bed.
6) Wi-Fi problems have been fixed and runs very smooth.

Cons: These cons are very small to me but there are a few:
1) The trackpad is a little flaky as well as the gestures but the gestures work great on the touchscreen its self
2) Fans can get a little loud in hotter environments but that's to be expected when you cram so much power into such a tiny frame
3) Intel 4000 graphics aren't great but you're not buying this as a desktop replacement

Other Thoughts: It can run games like WoW and Diablo 3 on medium at 1080 but that's now what you buy this for so that's just a bonus. If you're looking for one of (if not the) thinnest and lightest computers that can actually do work then you've found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars IPad Substitute, April 13, 2013
This laptop is fast and responsive. It is so light and thin that I find myself reaching for it rather than my IPad. The touchscreen is extremely responsive and really a necessity to appreciate Windows 8. My only complaint is that the keys are difficult to read, especially in poor light There is insufficient contrast between the light green backlighting and the silver keys, and the backlighting itself is inadequate. This is a minor point, however, in what otherwise has been a great computer experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 31, 2013
Light weight, compact, super fast. Couldn't be better unless, of course, it had Windows 7 instead of 8. A mouse was included, which I did not expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our second one works better than the first., December 25, 2013
P. N. Payne (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one from Costco for myself, and one through Amazon (for less money) for my wife. The Costco return policy is fantastic, but they stopped carrying this model. The Amazon return policy for computers is non-existent now. Mine has the same keyboard problem and needs to go back to Acer (a 2 or 3 week process). Sometimes I get no characters and other times I get double characters when typing, just as others have reported. My wife's works great. I am not a fan of Windows 8, but I am a fan of the Acer S7. I can unplug mine from my big screen, power, and usb hub in a couple seconds. Close the lid to hibernate, put in a thin bag, and off I go. Re-connecting takes a few seconds longer. This is the thinnest, fastest laptop I have had. With the solid state drive, it can be used in motion without hard drive head crash worries. Ie: in a moving car, motor home, small boat, plane, etc. I take mine almost everywhere I go, including some very bumpy roads. The 1080 resolution on the small screen can be hard to read, so I use a 28" monitor set to 1080 at my main desk. I usually have a couple or several open windows open at a time.

Yes, I can sometimes hear the fan. But it is not all that loud. Yes the battery could be bigger and last longer, but I carry a portable charger and use it when I need to. I really like it because it is so portable. Great computer & highly recommended. $1100 or $1200 for this computer? A bargain. May be we have been lucky that our only problem is the one keyboard. If I had as many problems as some, then I would be angry too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›